Erling Haaland / signs for Dortmund

Status
Not open for further replies.

crossy1686

career ending
Don't get the idea by some on here about buying this lad and then selling Martial. Surely we want the best strength in depth possible, as well as competition for positions? There's nothing that drives a player on, in my opinion, than the idea that they're going to lose their shirt to someone else.
I don't think anyone wants Martial gone but we have to be realistic. He's coming up to his 5th season at United and I don't think anyone can successfully argue that he's improved anywhere close to where his perceived potential is, in fact, there's a thread right now that's still trying to debate what his best position is and what he's best at.

If Haaland does join and goes from strength to strength then we should seriously consider selling Martial the following summer (the one after this one) while he still has good market value, and that's only if a suitable replacement comes available. For example, I don't think many of us would complain if Martial leaving meant Sancho or Maddison came in.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I don't think anyone wants Martial gone but we have to be realistic. He's coming up to his 5th season at United and I don't think anyone can successfully argue that he's improved anywhere close to where his perceived potential is, in fact, there's a thread right now that's still trying to debate what his best position is and what he's best at.

If Haaland does join and goes from strength to strength then we should seriously consider selling Martial the following summer (the one after this one) while he still has good market value, and that's only if a suitable replacement comes available. For example, I don't think many of us would complain if Martial leaving meant Sancho or Maddison came in.
No, because Martial can still fight for his role or find playing time on the wider positions, or alongside Haaland. We need quality in numbers up top, so a one in one out policy makes no sense.

Also for all his time here we have to remember he's still 24 so it's not like he can't add good value going forward.

If he sulks and only wants to play up top as a focal point it's a different issue but that would be unfounded at this stage.

NotThatSoph

The Norwegian paper Verdens Gang (VG) has published an article about the shirt signing thing. It's a bit of a silly topic, but anyway here it is.

You guys can run it through google translate, but I'll provide the cliffnotes. Last Monday Haaland took part in a closed arrangement for a local Bryne team Rosseland BK. Some people paid up to 10 000 NOK (a bit less than 1 000 GBP) for *dinner packages* (proceeds going to the club, not Haaland), including among other things a picture with Haaland and a signed Salzburg kit. Some unknown guy asked Haaland to sign his United jersey, Haaland obliged, some other unknown guy snapped a picture.

That's it.

Reactions: Invictus

Rob Bowman

In 99 we had Cole, Yorke, Ole and Sheringham, in 08 we had Saha, Tevez, Rooney, Ronaldo. In our strongest days we have always had competition for positions. Earn your place as well as rotation and resting. One of my hunches is that while our startes are fairly strong we have no options for the lesser minnow games and the starters are just worn out.

Get Haaland :keano::keano:!!

BarstoolProphet

In 99 we had Cole, Yorke, Ole and Sheringham, in 08 we had Saha, Tevez, Rooney, Ronaldo. In our strongest days we have always had competition for positions. Earn your place as well as rotation and resting. One of my hunches is that while our startes are fairly strong we have no options for the lesser minnow games and the starters are just worn out.

Get Haaland :keano::keano:!!
Yeah but Martial.

Alabaster Codify7

He wants first-team football? He'll get it here. He'll have Martial benched within 3 league games, bookmark this comment if he is signed. I would love him here.

youngrell

Even if he can't displace Martial, he will still play almost every match due to us having very limited options from the bench currently. Having another top forward, with a different style of play, will be of great benefit to the club and will help us approach games differently which is one thing we badly need right now.

nyanza

The Norwegian paper Verdens Gang (VG) has published an article about the shirt signing thing. It's a bit of a silly topic, but anyway here it is.

You guys can run it through google translate, but I'll provide the cliffnotes. Last Monday Haaland took part in a closed arrangement for a local Bryne team Rosseland BK. Some people paid up to 10 000 NOK (a bit less than 1 000 GBP) for *dinner packages* (proceeds going to the club, not Haaland), including among other things a picture with Haaland and a signed Salzburg kit. Some unknown guy asked Haaland to sign his United jersey, Haaland obliged, some other unknown guy snapped a picture.

That's it.
Then Haaland went to the other unknown guy and asked him for the picture so he can upload it to instagram?

RedIan

Ive run out of patience with Martial, on his day he is brilliant but his day comes very rarely. He is injury prone, lazy and lacks any obvious hint of passion and fight... I happily sell him and replace with striker of similar skill but who has some fire in his belly. Don’t know enough about Harland to comment on his ability.

RoyH1

Muppetry in full swing now I see. Just missing flighttracker and who Haaland is befriending on Instagram.

theklr

Even if he can't displace Martial, he will still play almost every match due to us having very limited options from the bench currently. Having another top forward, with a different style of play, will be of great benefit to the club and will help us approach games differently which is one thing we badly need right now.
We have Greenwood, which kinda works as an impact sub at the moment. You could always say you could sub Greenwood in for James and Haaland for Martial, but I dont see any scenario where Haaland comes and doesnt hamper Greenwood’s development, without displacing Martial somewhat.

I think that is a good thing , but i just dont see how we will do 2 offensive subs each and every game.

Okey

I don't get this Martial love in. A team keepa trying to make itself better, not wait for people who are taking forever to get better. Mason has taken only a few weeks to show us his super star in the making tag isn't far off. If Haaland comes and tears up the scoring charts, well, adieu Martial. You weren't as good as the other guy. And vice versa. No hard feelings. Just the way the world works. And if they motivate each other to become goal machines, all the better!

NotThatSoph

Then Haaland went to the other unknown guy and asked him for the picture so he can upload it to instagram?
No. After the guy uploaded it to social media, and it spread around like wildfire (on Reddit, on Redcafe, on Twitter, etc.,) Haaland posted the freely available picture along with other pictures of him signing other shirts.

Thiagoal

That's it.
I think we could all deduce that he was signing a random guys Man Utd shirt- i didn't for one minute think Ewar Woowa gave it him. The key point is that he got hold of said photo and thought it a good idea to upload it to his social media! Sadly, the article doesn't cover that bit!

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I mean it's in Austrian/German/whatever, it's not supposed to make sense if you don't know the language.
I get your joke but also Haaland is Norwegian. How’s he winning Austrian player of the year. Is it for Austrian players AND players playing in Austria?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
No, because Martial can still fight for his role or find playing time on the wider positions, or alongside Haaland. We need quality in numbers up top, so a one in one out policy makes no sense.

Also for all his time here we have to remember he's still 24 so it's not like he can't add good value going forward.

If he sulks and only wants to play up top as a focal point it's a different issue but that would be unfounded at this stage.
If he adds little 19 to 24 i doubt he's going to add more 24 onwards.

He has reached his ceiling i fear, he might hit a good form patch but i doubt there's much improvement beyond him maturing more.

Madzik_92

Wl
That's 130K pounds per week. If he is first team player from the word go then he might be worth it.
We have fecking Jones on 150k so i don't think wage will be issues for United. Plus, we've offloaded Sanchez, Lukaku, Darmian, Fellaini

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I tend to be very critical to the club but if we do sign this guy then I'll be happy as a bunny

A- We are one dimensional so we need to have players that can change our style. Some people remember the likes of Cole's and Yorke's fantastic runs during the treble. However we actually won the CL final thanks to Teddy (British old fashioned type of striker whose an aerial beast) and Ole (classical goal poacher). Having players who can allow the manager to switch the game is great

B- We're lucky to have forwards who can play multiple positions. Rashford is a (STK-RW-LW), James is (LW, RW), Greenwood is (RW-STK), Mata is (a former AMC and a former RW), Lingard is (social media beast/part time player). Thus we can easily add a striker without hurting anyone's career, especially since the striker in question is still 19 years old and won't mind a couple of games sitting on the bench.

I am also excited to see some healthy competition for first team places. It keeps players on their toes. That is what playing for United is all about.

youngrell

We have Greenwood, which kinda works as an impact sub at the moment. You could always say you could sub Greenwood in for James and Haaland for Martial, but I dont see any scenario where Haaland comes and doesnt hamper Greenwood’s development, without displacing Martial somewhat.

I think that is a good thing , but i just dont see how we will do 2 offensive subs each and every game.
I don't see why not? I mean, just last week we had to bring on Mata against Everton to try and make an offensive impression. Instead we could be adding Haaland.

He is completely different to all our other attackers, which offers us an immediate plan b (or the current setup moves to being the plan b), but either way we get a different approach for different games or to change games.

Denis' cuff

Wtf did this “playing time” Bollox come from? The Sun? There isn’t any reason at all to suggest that he is making such demands.

Newsflash: journalists make shit up - because people believe it

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Raiola got our number and played us like a fiddle he does
Raiola is the football version of the old fashioned union representative. You know he'll be driving a hard bargain, he's an HR nightmare but.....you can't live without him. Most clubs have to work with the guy being Juventus (De Ligt), us (Pogba), Milan (Donnarumma), Inter (Lukaku), PSG (Verratti) etc. It also depends on the player. For every Ibra there's a Romero, for every Pogba there's a Romagnoli etc ie players who are so happy at the club that they put Mino in his box.

Resch

Reasons to pick United:
1. He will play, maybe not every game but he will play a lot YES
2. Playing in England against better opposition YES
3. Better training standards NO, Salzburg; Leipzig and Dortmund can compete at any level .....
4. Huge club with worldwide status only rivaled by Madrid YES
5. Better wages YES
6. His dad played in England, in the same city in fact ....this is no reason.....
7. Solskjaer is Norwegian No the reason ist, Ole was already his coach at Molde
Erling is focused on his development. So you have to find reasons, why United is the perfect next sstep for hin. Not Leipzig, not Dortmund.....
Dortmund has problems to find or devolop stikers since Lewi left for Bayern
Leipzig has more then enough strikers.....

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Buy him in Jan and sell Martial in the summer. Then buy a no.10 and a CM
Nail.On.The.Head.
We should in theory at least, still have the Lukaku money to spend, and could possibly get another £65m for Martial, so by the end of next Summer, we really could be in a position where we have signed all of our long term targets.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
The thing is all you muppets will give it "just play Martial as a 10" and "it's good for Greenwood to have competition" just so you can get your new transfer fix guilt free, but I guarentee you will be moaning when Martial is out of position as he isn't a number 10, and when Greenwood isn't getting enough game time.

For me we need a proper number 10 and a striker who is already established that Greenwood can learn from. Signing just another prodigy when we already have Greenwood, Martial and Rashford doesn't seem right, although I understand the points people are making about how cheap we could get him.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Nail.On.The.Head.
We should in theory at least, still have the Lukaku money to spend, and could possibly get another £65m for Martial, so by the end of next Summer, we really could be in a position where we have signed all of our long term targets.
Martial for 65? We are dreaming.

If he continues in this erratic form we’ll be lucky to get 40

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
The thing is all you muppets will give it "just play Martial as a 10" and "it's good for Greenwood to have competition" just so you can get your new transfer fix guilt free, but I guarentee you will be moaning when Martial is out of position as he isn't a number 10, and when Greenwood isn't getting enough game time.

For me we need a proper number 10 and a striker who is already established that Greenwood can learn from. Signing just another prodigy when we already have Greenwood, Martial and Rashford doesn't seem right, although I understand the points people are making about how cheap we could get him.
Getting him for this cheap would allow for more money to be spent on another position like a right winger or a 10. Odegaard or Sancho hopefully.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Raiola is the football version of the old fashioned union representative. You know he'll be driving a hard bargain, he's an HR nightmare but.....you can't live without him. Most clubs have to work with the guy being Juventus (De Ligt), us (Pogba), Milan (Donnarumma), Inter (Lukaku), PSG (Verratti) etc. It also depends on the player. For every Ibra there's a Romero, for every Pogba there's a Romagnoli etc ie players who are so happy at the club that they put Mino in his box.
I dont mind him being greeedy. We all does.

As long as he doesnt dislodge a settled player than it's fair game.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
https://www.vg.no/sport/fotball/i/j...en-rundt?utm_source=vgfront&utm_content=row-1

Apparently the picture with Håland and the United shirt is from an event held in Bryne where people were supposed to get signed Salzburg shirt and a picture with Håland (event cost around 1k pounds to get into, using my special 10nok / 1 = $€) and a cheeky guy pulled out the United shirt.
While this is true, it just seems very weird that he then pulled the stunt on his instagram afterwards?

Why did he feel the need to then do a fake photoshoot with 3/4 other shirts, including the united one especially? it's very weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.