Erling Haaland / signs for Dortmund

Status
Not open for further replies.

AkaAkuma

Again, can you show me where I have "reacted to things that I think have been said, rather than anything that has"

I'm assuming "is this a wind up? Am I missing something" is what you deem to be a confrontational outburst? If that's so, I am very sorry if that's how you took it. But basically from where I'm standing, what this seems to boil down to is that because I don't agree with your statement that Martial should be #9 and shouldn't have any real competition. Just someone who can cover for him when he's injured or comes off the bench for a bit of an impact, I am now a target for your little missives.

You haven't offered any discussion back defending your position, but rather only reply using weird little passive aggressive comments directed at me. So let me ask you this. Are you here for discussion and debate, or are you here just to throw out statements that you deem to be gospel and want people to agree with you?
I'll debate you, but my point from the start and through out is that your responses and comes backs haven't reflected what I've said.

Do I think Martial should be the #9?
Yes. I think he along with Rashford and Pogba are our best players, we don't need upheaval there. The squad is too thin to focus on improving our best players.

Should the incoming player be backup?
No. I agree any incoming player should be competition and have the chance to superseed the current starter.

I think Dembele would be a better option than Haaland considering his age, maturity and style of play. He can play at a similiar level to Martial, but also I think would have the maturity to accept rotation.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
And then Martial goes injured again..

We had Berba, Tevez, Rooney in the same team.

If that could work, why not now?

Having both Haaland and Martial is a must, we will be fully equiped up front.
Agreed. We dont need those two exactly, but right now we have 4 attackers sharing 3 spots, we are not exactly well stocked in that department. Every big club in Europe has loads of good players on the bench, and considering there is plenty of football to be played, there is more than enough to go around

Haaland also offers something different than Martial. While the latter might be more technically different, Haaland is a physical specimen and might be much better suited vs opponents who sit deep and pack their own box, something that has been the bane of our existence so far.

Also, maybe we can play Haaland in front and Martial a bit deeper and Rashford/James on the wings. Is that stupid?

RamblingRebel

Hitler dead!
Supports
Burnley
I'll debate you, but my point from the start and through out is that your responses and comes backs haven't reflected what I've said.

Do I think Martial should be the #9?
Yes. I think he along with Rashford and Pogba are our best players, we don't need upheaval there. The squad is too thin to focus on improving our best players.

Should the incoming player be backup?
No. I agree any incoming player should be competition and have the chance to superseed the current starter.

I think Dembele would be a better option than Haaland considering his age, maturity and style of play. He can play at a similiar level to Martial, but also I think would have the maturity to accept rotation.
"He's the wrong profile, we need somebody around 23 who would be happy as an impact sub and capable of covering Martial when he's injured.

Morelos would be an interesting punt at the right price, I think his energy would be infectious and would lift the crowd."

This is when I first replied to you, read back my reply to this post of yours. How did it not reflect what you said?

I don't disagree that Martial should be #9 right now, but if there is a chance to get Haaland at the 60million then its a no-brainer. He offers something different, and he looks a very good with the potential to be Ballon D'or class player. I'll disagree with Pogba being one of the best players. Maybe on paper or on his day and when he can be arsed he is, but he's shown nothing since the back end of last season, so much so that the team look better without him but thats for another thread.

Funny, in the post I first replied to you wanted a player "who would be happy as an impact sub and capable of covering for Martial" now you say The striker shouldn't be backup....some flip flopping is that!

Which Dembele? That lad at Lyon is a good player, but for me he's that same style as Rashford and Martial, but could offer a bit more in the air. I wouldn't be against it and I reckon a front 3 of those lads could be great on the counter. How is he holding the ball up and does he have that cuteness to break a defence down with a pass or movement?

Still think Haaland would be a better option if the price isn't ridiculously expensive though.

AkaAkuma

"He's the wrong profile, we need somebody around 23 who would be happy as an impact sub and capable of covering Martial when he's injured.

Morelos would be an interesting punt at the right price, I think his energy would be infectious and would lift the crowd."

This is when I first replied to you, read back my reply to this post of yours. How did it not reflect what you said?

I don't disagree that Martial should be #9 right now, but if there is a chance to get Haaland at the 60million then its a no-brainer. He offers something different, and he looks a very good with the potential to be Ballon D'or class player. I'll disagree with Pogba being one of the best players. Maybe on paper or on his day and when he can be arsed he is, but he's shown nothing since the back end of last season, so much so that the team look better without him but thats for another thread.

Funny, in the post I first replied to you wanted a player "who would be happy as an impact sub and capable of covering for Martial" now you say The striker shouldn't be backup....some flip flopping is that!

Which Dembele? That lad at Lyon is a good player, but for me he's that same style as Rashford and Martial, but could offer a bit more in the air. I wouldn't be against it and I reckon a front 3 of those lads could be great on the counter. How is he holding the ball up and does he have that cuteness to break a defence down with a pass or movement?

Still think Haaland would be a better option if the price isn't ridiculously expensive though.
I've not got the ability to break things down while using my phone, but if you wish I'll quote where you've put words in my mouth tomorrow.

Is it not a waste of resources to spend 60-70 on Haaland, when there are more pressing needs in the team?

I'm happy to continue the debate you asked for, but please stop putting words in my mouth - you've a way of rephrasing and twisting whats been said.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I've been reading through and it seems like the Caf is divided into two.

One side wants us to sign a striker that will give Martial real competition because it's what world class teams do and "This is United" and all our players including the ones on the bench have to be very good like the Tevez Rooney Ronaldo and Berbatov days. I understand this. For example Barca have Griezmann, City have Jesus, Juve has Higuain Madrid has Jovic, Psg has Cavani etc. If we want to be worthy of competing for the champions league again this is what we should aim for.

Then there is the other side of the Caf that wants a striker only as back up to Martial when he's injured or off form or to make an impact. This is basically what Liverpool have with Origi. Which means that we can still be a team that aims for Champions league glory with these type of bench players. However let's not forget that Liverpool have a lot have world class players and a world class coach unlike us.

I feel nobody would care about us getting someone like Mandzukic if we had someone like Kane as our striker already but we don't. What we have is a player that just reclaimed his position as number 9 after a long period and a player that has proven to be inconsistent at times. But that player also has world class potential which could be affected if he's constantly on the bench (remember Sanchez).

The way I see it Ole has two options. To either trust Martial will reach his world class potential which he has been doing and has said a number of times or to get a Haaland or Werner to compete with him. And to me considering the fact that we still have a number of positions to feel with quality players I think we shouldn't spend much to sign a striker and a young one for that matter because we already have 3 of those. It's not as if the player we sign to be back up to Martial will be a potato. We could have signed Ben Yedder and he would have been a good back up

Reactions: Jippy

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I've not got the ability to break things down while using my phone, but if you wish I'll quote where you've put words in my mouth tomorrow.

Is it not a waste of resources to spend 60-70 on Haaland, when there are more pressing needs in the team?

I'm happy to continue the debate you asked for, but please stop putting words in my mouth - you've a way of rephrasing and twisting whats been said.
I don't think you could class it as a waste. He's probably the most exciting young striker in the world right now, not at a big club. Anyone buying him would be getting a top tier talent.

theklr

I've been reading through and it seems like the Caf is divided into two.

One side wants us to sign a striker that will give Martial real competition because it's what world class teams do and "This is United" and all our players including the ones on the bench have to be very good like the Tevez Rooney Ronaldo and Berbatov days. I understand this. For example Barca have Griezmann, City have Jesus, Juve has Higuain Madrid has Jovic, Psg has Cavani etc. If we want to be worthy of competing for the champions league again this is what we should aim for.

Then there is the other side of the Caf that wants a striker only as back up to Martial when he's injured or off form or to make an impact. This is basically what Liverpool have with Origi. Which means that we can still be a team that aims for Champions league glory with these type of bench players. However let's not forget that Liverpool have a lot have world class players and a world class coach unlike us.

I feel nobody would care about us getting someone like Mandzukic if we had someone like Kane as our striker already but we don't. What we have is a player that just reclaimed his position as number 9 after a long period and a player that has proven to be inconsistent at times. But that player also has world class potential which could be affected if he's constantly on the bench (remember Sanchez).

The way I see it Ole has two options. To either trust Martial will reach his world class potential which he has been doing and has said a number of times or to get a Haaland or Werner to compete with him. And to me considering the fact that we still have a number of positions to feel with quality players I think we shouldn't spend much to sign a striker and a young one for that matter because we already have 3 of those. It's not as if the player we sign to be back up to Martial will be a potato. We could have signed Ben Yedder and he would have been a good back up
Good post, and it is also the exact problem with a striker signing.

The very best young strikers (like Haaland), if they are smart (and I think he/his team is), wants and should be an almost guaranteed starter in every game.
Moving to the biggest clubs can hamper their development if they are only used in cup games or as an impact sub. And i think this is the reason Haaland wont go to the biggest clubs just yet.

BUT, if he would want to come to United, he is such a big talent that ofcourse we should take him. If Haaland is happy with beeing an impact sub/cup game player here, its a win-win. If not, he could also be loaned out again.
Martial brings so much more to the team than just the goals, in a way i dont think Haaland does, so Martial should anyway be the nr. 1 starter. I'm guessing playing 4-4-2 with Haaland and Martial would be difficult to pull off.

wolvored

Stop overreacting. We are one of the greatest clubs in the world who will pay him a kings ransom. Of course he’d join us. He’s nowhere near out of our league. Ibra picked us a few years back and so did Pogba so we obviously are a giant draw.

Same with players like De Ligt and Sancho but we didn’t offer the correct terms. I think it’s pretty common knowledge Sancho will come to United for the right price. Champions league or not it doesn’t matter on the grand scheme of things when they are young. We offer money, fame and a team that ‘could’ win things in the future. Our budget and pull is such it’s very acheievable.

We are a perfect fit for these younger players atm and they either leave down the line for a huge fee after earning big bucks already or enjoy a career playing for one of the worlds greatest clubs ‘us’ win-win. If you think players would rather be on the bench at Madrid than be first choice for us, you are very mistaken. Morata even dyed his hair red if I remember correctly haha
I like your optimism. Let's see if sancho comes end of the season

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
At one time we had Yorke, Cole, sherigham and ole. We won the CL, actually the treble by scoring more goals than everyone else.

That part of our DNA has been ripped out by the shitty defense first methods and players brought in by Lvg and Mourinho.

If Ole truly gets what he was part of back then and wants to play attacking football he needs to bring in a true CF and to me Haaland is a talent that we can’t afford to miss out on.
Considering Ole coached him before it’s January or bust to get him.

We simply cannot rely on Martial and Rashford to score enough goals. We are missing loads of chances because they are not natural goalscorers

gza the genius

If Haaland comes in and Pogba ever gets fit again how would we line up? Pereira would almost definitely go but what do we do with the front three?

James is still the only player we have who can really play on the right so it’s either bench Martial or move him to the left and bench Rashford. These are good problems to have I guess but I still think rather than create a problem like this for no reason we should address weaker areas of the pitch first and bring in an older, experienced option for the bench as backup to Martial.

I guess it all depends on how much we actually have to spend and whether or not we feel this is our best/only chance to get Haaland.

theklr

If Haaland comes in and Pogba ever gets fit again how would we line up? Pereira would almost definitely go but what do we do with the front three?

James is still the only player we have who can really play on the right so it’s either bench Martial or move him to the left and bench Rashford. These are good problems to have I guess but I still think rather than create a problem like this for no reason we should address weaker areas of the pitch first and bring in an older, experienced option for the bench as backup to Martial.

I guess it all depends on how much we actually have to spend and whether or not we feel this is our best/only chance to get Haaland.
How to use Haaland would be a luxury problem tbf. And as Ole has managed him before and knows him pretty well, if we were to go for him I'd think he'd have a clear idea of it.

Jonas Hagman

Supports
Olympiakos , Moss FK, FCK
People seems to forget the importance of Ole giving Haaland his first senior games in Molde 2 years ago, he scored some nice goals for Ole back then. They probably have a father / son relationship and I'm quite sure he is on our radar and also that their relationship will have a impact on Haalands decision when changing club, I would not be surprised if we sign him January and having him over at the summer so he can finish hes season over there before the move. it's a big chance for this happening to be honest would not surprise me at this point. He scored 7 in 4 games in CL the only player who ever did that ever, impressing!

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
City have Bernardo, Sterling, Mahrez, Sane, Aguero, Jesus competing for 3 spots and some on here are losing their shit over 'what will happen to Martial if we sign this kid' :houllier:

Ace of Spades

Competition is good, pushes players on to excel. Right now we are too light on options, any injury to one of the front three and we are screwed. I would welcome this signing.

Nr.7

Some people wouldn’t want Haaland ‘cause he’d be on the bench for some games?

Isn’t that like a great option to have?

I’d take him in a heartbeat though I have a feeling this might end up similar to de Ligt saga.

Last edited:

RamblingRebel

Hitler dead!
Supports
Burnley

:lol: I'm not putting any words in your mouth! You're the one who's typing the words I am replying to. Again. Please show me where I am putting words into your mouth!

I completely understand what you are saying about the squad having more pressing needs than another striker, and tbh, if this was a choice between any other good striker, say like a Dembele ect I'd say "no, money would be better spent elsewhere" But we are talking about a generational talent here. If they become available, personally I think you have to buy them. This is the type of player that wins you championships in a stong team, or a player that can drag a sleeping giant back to the top.

Utd didn't really need to buy Ronaldo at the time.

Jibbs

I'd prefer getting Haaland over Sancho even, we absolutely must need a striker, a different type of striker from the ones we already have. Haaland has written world class all over him.
Get in Haaland and Dwight McNeil. That way we can also play in a traditional United way with James and McNeil on wings and Haaland in the middle, we can also play Rashford and Haaland up top with Martial in a number 10/ False 9 role. We can play McNeil along with Rashford and Martial as well. Greenwood and Chong can be used in these formations too. So we will have plenty of different options to play according to situation, players will get break from hectic schedule and we won't have to worry about injuries like we have to right now.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
We need quality up top. Guy looks like a natural goalscorer, which we lack. Looks pretty mobile too, and good in the air. Also, he fits the profile of the younger hungry player we seem to be looking for.

I hope we end up getting him in January.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I can't understand the wisdom behind buying Mandzukic. He is old, he never really recovered from injury and tbh he was never a world class player in the first place. A work horse with no legs is a pitiful sight. Do you remember keano?

I also think we need strikers with different characteristics as that would make the team unpredictable . We keep talking about the United way, however for every Cole we had Teddy, for every Saha we had RvN, for every Rooney we had RVP.

Now we got 3 strikers who rely on pace and technique (ie Martial, Greeny and Rashy). We need a striker who provide physicality. Haaland would be perfect. He has the right characteristics, he is young and he's at a stage of his career where he won't mind a couple of games on the bench. We are building for the future. Haaland would be great

Nickelodeon

He seems like such an obvious signing that its almost certain that we wouldn't be signing him. Why people feel that signing him wouldn't be good because someone (Martial) wouldn't get minutes seems so weird. I love Martial but he has spent so much time on the injury table that relying solely on him seems quite naive. Plus as it is we have a slot opened due to Lukaku and Alexis leaving.

Seriously hope we're able to get this done.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He seems like such an obvious signing that its almost certain that we wouldn't be signing him. Why people feel that signing him wouldn't be good because someone (Martial) wouldn't get minutes seems so weird. I love Martial but he has spent so much time on the injury table that relying solely on him seems quite naive. Plus as it is we have a slot opened due to Lukaku and Alexis leaving.

Seriously hope we're able to get this done.
If Haaland does well then the one risking the chop are Greenwood and Rashy not Martial. The latter has more talent then the former two combined. Having said that we're Manchester Fecking United. Competition isn't only necessary but its expected. Haaland is a first step in turning United away from being a one trick pony.

Nickelodeon

If Haaland does well then the one risking the chop are Greenwood and Rashy not Martial. The latter has more talent then the former two combined. Having said that we're Manchester Fecking United. Competition isn't only necessary but its expected. Haaland is a first step in turning United away from being a one trick pony.
The thing is that depending on the form, he could replace either Rashford or Martial in the team. I don't consider Greenwood's path being blocked because he's just turned 18 and for the next couple of years, he should be pegged for 20-25 appearances roughly half being starts and depending on his displays, easing him into the squad. Knowing our position, if he were to be considered an important squad member and he doesn't score 20 goals or becomes inconsistent, all of them logical for a youngster, it can only hamper his development. At this stage, his development should be a bonus for us rather than an expectation.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The posts in this thread make no sense to me. So much black and white, linear thinking, like rotation and interchange doesn't exist, or, that we can rely on what we have over a season when they've already proven they are coming up short before the rough festive fixtures come piling in on us.

Also, the notion that Haaland coming in means Martial doesn't play? It can be argued Haaland gives more tactical and formation-based versatility - even providing the opportunity for us to try things that aren't currently viable.

As much as Martial can be good, he hasn't proven himself someone you put the mortgage on since Van Gaal had him as golden boy. Lulls in form, injury or potential fatigue cannot be dismissed when it comes to him.

We need multiple signings for midfield and attack, my belief is that we try and get the very best available and within our financial remit for January. I wouldn't buy sub-par players to fill holes - we have youngsters who should get minutes if we can't bolster the first xi.

IF we're going for an old veteran stop-gap, I'd rather premiership proven and likely to hit the ground running, given it's a January window and the league only gets more brutal from that period through until May.

troylocker

Right now Martial is the best alternative we have for #9, and to be honest he has never been a natural goalscorer (68 goals in 258 matches in all competitions on senior clublevel, 1 goal in 18 matches for France) He is too much on and off for me, and looks uninterested at times. Competition would probably won't hurt him either.
The thought of bying, in my opinion, the biggest goalscoring talent I have seen in more than 20 years for a bench-role behind Martial is beyond me. He should be bought to be the number 1 striker, and rotation would provide minutes to all the alternative we have for the attacking positions.

More numbers from me: Haaland has provided 9 more goalpoints (goals+assists) than any other player in the top 15 leagues in all competitions this season. (26 goal, 6 assists in 18 matches and 1251 minutes) https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/mei...//ausrichtung//spielerposition_id/0/land_id/0
His record from tippeligaen under Ole, he was 16-18 years old then:
17 season he had 2 goals and 1 assist in 270 minutes
18 season he had 12 goals and 4 assists in 1530 minutes
He has scored 23 goals in his last 22 matches for the Norway national teams (U18, U19, U20, U21 and Norway senior)
First player in the history to: Score 9 goals in a single world cup match, score a first half hattrick in his CL debut, Score 6 in his first three CL-matches, score 7 in first 4 matches of CL-campaign, score 4 first half goals in Tippeligaen (Norways top-division) at the age of 17 and so on.

He has taken giant leaps this season and is delivering unearthly numbers already, and is not even close to his skill ceiling yet. I think this January window is our one and only chance to get him, and I think we should go all in for it. To improve us up top from day 1.

PS! Did you see his last goal on sunday, where he finished a 90 yard sprint for a tap-in in the 88th minute (he started the match). That is pure determination and anticipation.

Last edited:

Grande

I’m not certain wether Haaland is such a generational talent as is being assumed here by a few, but he is on some goalscoring form. What I don’t see is a problem for United investing in someone like him. It shouldn’t be contrasted with the inforcement of other positions, because it should be viewed as investment, not as outlay. FFP-wise, we should afford it.

The question with players like Haaland, Sancho, Ødegaard, De Ligt etc are, will they come to us? They are young, and will normally view their opportunity to develop as more important than money or the name of a team. Also, if they are open to go to a top team with top competition, there will be a host of clubs with as good a name and finances as us vying for them. Our biggest chance of getting Haaland at the time, apart from Solskjær, is that we are not crowded with worldies up top. I would fully expect, though, that Haaland will make use of the semi corrupt Red Bull system to get a good and predictable development path first and foremost, and if that happens, he’ll be rich and playing for a CL candidate soon enough. There would be little downside to buying him if we can, but the odds are not low.

Havak

Pokemon master
City have Bernardo, Sterling, Mahrez, Sane, Aguero, Jesus competing for 3 spots and some on here are losing their shit over 'what will happen to Martial if we sign this kid' :houllier:
This is how I look at it too. Realistically if we want to compete and keep buying mostly younger players, we should be looking at trying to go all-out to have a front line like this:

CF: Martial/Haaland/Greenwood
LF: Rashford/James/Chong
RF: Sancho/James/Greenwood
AM: Eriksen/Andreas/Lingard/Gomes

Sanchez and Mata sold.

Obviously, could be a bit of a stretch to land the three current non-United players but I don't see why we wouldn't be trying to force the issue, especially under the assumption Pogba is sold as well and Eriksen is free.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I want someone to compete but I'm not sure if it's the correct player in the sense that in my opinion we should bring either a right sided attacker that can provide at least a dozen of goals or the equivalent of Aguero, a bonafide elite striker or both. Not an other young player that needs developing in a position where we already have several similar options.

Momochiru

All this hype reminds me of Depay. Lets take a step back - sure he seems a great talent, but it's the Austrian league. There is a big step up to the PL. Similar to Greenwood, who is totally dominating in youth level, but is at least two years away from being able to lead the line for us.

We need two strikers in order to have enough backup, so in short, I'm all for buying this guy, but Martial should stay our number one, with EH providing much needed backup - as I said already Greenwood cannot do it yet and Rashford is wasted there. We will have Martial and EL for ST, Rashford and James for LW, Greenwood and James for RW. This is very decent as it is, but all of them would have a big potential for improvement too, so in couple years we could have a world class strike force.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Just sign him up regardless on Martial or Rushford feels. Rushford looks tire at time, he needs a game or 2 off and same goes for Martial. Ole needs to use the players properly, winning games is the only to make players happy. As long as they are properly use base on tactics where we win games should be good.

Martial seemed to play somewhere more like a 9.5/false 9 the last 2 games.

Issue then IMO, is can Haland play as a wide Striker like Greenwood did against Partizan? Or does he need to lead the line.

troylocker

All this hype reminds me of Depay. Lets take a step back - sure he seems a great talent, but it's the Austrian league. There is a big step up to the PL. Similar to Greenwood, who is totally dominating in youth level, but is at least two years away from being able to lead the line for us.

We need two strikers in order to have enough backup, so in short, I'm all for buying this guy, but Martial should stay our number one, with EH providing much needed backup - as I said already Greenwood cannot do it yet and Rashford is wasted there. We will have Martial and EL for ST, Rashford and James for LW, Greenwood and James for RW. This is very decent as it is, but all of them would have a big potential for improvement too, so in couple years we could have a world class strike force.
Are you comparing Haaland's numbers in CL and Austrian Bundesliga to Greenwoods performances for Man Utd U18 (a goal a match) and Depays 12 goals in 2880 minutes for PSV in the Eresdivisie and 1 goal in EL in 6 full 90s when he was 19?
Have you seen the guy play? He is a physical beast, both in speed, strenght and size and he has the best off the ball movement and understanding of offensive positioning I have ever seen. He is a fantastic finisher, is a good dribbler, has good link up, hold up play and plays with an energy you haven't seen before. Not a big sample size, but 7 goals in 267 minutes of CL-play should give an indication that he might handle PL too….
If we don't get this guy now, he will end up scoring for fun for Juve, Barca or Real now or in the summer, or do the Leipzig tour before going to one of the three if not Bayern.

BlackShark_80

Are you comparing Haaland's numbers in CL and Austrian Bundesliga to Greenwoods performances for Man Utd U18 (a goal a match) and Depays 12 goals in 2880 minutes for PSV in the Eresdivisie and 1 goal in EL in 6 full 90s when he was 19?
Have you seen the guy play? He is a physical beast, both in speed, strenght and size and he has the best off the ball movement and understanding of offensiv positioning a I have ever seen. He is a fantastic finisher, is a good dribbler, has good link up, hold up play and plays with an energy you haven't seen before. Not a big sample size, but 7 goals in 267 minutes of CL-play should give an indication that he might handle PL too….
If we don't get this guy now, he will end up scoring for fun for Juve, Barca or Real now or in the summer, or do the Leipzig tour before going to one of the three if not Bayern.
Don't think he want to move for Big Clubs yet. At his age, i reckon he want to continue develop further in Salzburg or Leipzig first.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

You referenced James there but forget that a year ago he was playing in a Swansea side that hardly pulled up trees and furthermore he scored 4(?) goals.
The point is, some players can make the leap but it depends on temperament as much as ability. Depay looked world class for around 2 games then floundered.

Haaland looks to have the lot and let’s face it, Ole knows the lad better than any manager apart from Rose

troylocker

He's outgrown the Austrian Bundesliga already and the big clubs are standing in line to get him. If his pricetag gets too high, let's say 100M +, I think he might take the Leipzig route instead. There is no chance he will play another season at Salzburg though.
What speaks for us when he decides where to go is: Ole is here, he respects him a lot and has had 2 years under his wings before. We don't have any proven striker here and he will get a lot of minutes from day one. The language is also a positive thing. The other big clubs have proven strikers that he needs to pass in the picking order to get minutes and the language and cultures in Italy and Spain needs more adaptation than the English.

You need to actually look at his numbers to understand how insane they are, they are alienlike. Mbappe, Ronaldo and Messi didn't deliver this kind of endproduct when they where 19.
Allways a risk with 19 year olds of course, but I'm pretty damn sure this will be a case of "I hate/love to say I told you so" no matter where he ends up.

Momochiru

Have you seen the guy play? He is a physical beast, both in speed, strenght and size and he has the best off the ball movement and understanding of offensive positioning I have ever seen. He is a fantastic finisher, is a good dribbler, has good link up, hold up play and plays with an energy you haven't seen before. Not a big sample size, but 7 goals in 267 minutes of CL-play should give an indication that he might handle PL too….
There are a lot of unknowns with young strikers who are doing amazing things in an easier league. I remember Lukaku was absolutely dominating in the Belgian league at 16, and he turned out to be a decent striker, but not what we really need.

DSG

@golden_blunder @troylocker

I think that there are members of the Caf who haven’t seen him play, and therefore don’t understand how excited the football world is about this guy. Marcotti of ESPN just floated the idea that Mbappe / Haaland could be the next rivalry for Ballon d’Or, in the mold of Messi v Cristiano. Let me be clear, no one has made that same claim of the potential of Felix or Sancho.

@AkaAkuma @Momochiru

We are talking about Zlatan 2.0 here. Only with world class speed as well. If you really watch this kid, you’ll realize that he was put on this earth to do just two things: abuse central defenders and score goals. Bringing it back to Martial.... Our goal at this club is to win trophies. Not to patiently wait by to see if Martial can become a Ballon d’Or level striker. Ultimately, Martial will never reach that level. He probably will never lead the league in goals. That’s not good enough for one of the top 5 clubs in the world. It’s like saying, “we don’t need Zlatan, we have Louis Saha!”

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Haaland learnt a lot under Ole's coaching at Molde, and all things considered, he may fancy a chance to team up with him again, to work on the next stage of his development. He certainly seems to think highly of Ole, and perhaps signing a three year deal with United may give him the opportunity to improve his skills, in an environment where he feels not under pressure (apart from some posters on here), getting good quality matches under his belt (the Austrian league not being the strongest), and with a three year contract, he could move on then to one of the big teams ( United not in that bracket yet), but also if United start competing at the top end again, could stay.

GledTheRed

Haaland learnt a lot under Ole's coaching at Molde, and all things considered, he may fancy a chance to team up with him again, to work on the next stage of his development. He certainly seems to think highly of Ole, and perhaps signing a three year deal with United may give him the opportunity to improve his skills, in an environment where he feels not under pressure (apart from some posters on here), getting good quality matches under his belt (the Austrian league not being the strongest), and with a three year contract, he could move on then to one of the big teams ( United not in that bracket yet), but also if United start competing at the top end again, could stay.
If he joins us there's no way it will be on a 3 year contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.