Erling Haaland / signs for Dortmund

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Stone

Has scored 26 in 1251 minutes this season and contributed to 32! goals this season, and we’re not even mid-November yet. Lightning fast, sublime off the ball movement, strong as a bull and elite mentality. If we sign this guy, probably for 60-80M, it is not as a squad player. It will be as main striker.
Wow! 263 decillion goals is surely some sort of record!

Sterling Archer

Sneaking 12 onto the pitch, I like your thinking
I just hope no one else has eagle eyes like you. Got inspired by the McFredinay thread, or maybe it was Fred performances - newbie commented that he/she couldn't remember Fred on the pitch at all

Son

Thats all well and good if you are a Messi or Ronaldo and can conjure goals out of nothing, but a top young player like Haaland and his ilk,vwho seems to have the world at his feet will look to winning trophies and will need good to great players to help him play well and score. Utd are a team in freefall at the moment with no sign of getting top 4, never mind winning the big trophies. Sancho turned us down just for that reason last summer.
Stop overreacting. We are one of the greatest clubs in the world who will pay him a kings ransom. Of course he’d join us. He’s nowhere near out of our league. Ibra picked us a few years back and so did Pogba so we obviously are a giant draw.

Same with players like De Ligt and Sancho but we didn’t offer the correct terms. I think it’s pretty common knowledge Sancho will come to United for the right price. Champions league or not it doesn’t matter on the grand scheme of things when they are young. We offer money, fame and a team that ‘could’ win things in the future. Our budget and pull is such it’s very acheievable.

We are a perfect fit for these younger players atm and they either leave down the line for a huge fee after earning big bucks already or enjoy a career playing for one of the worlds greatest clubs ‘us’ win-win. If you think players would rather be on the bench at Madrid than be first choice for us, you are very mistaken. Morata even dyed his hair red if I remember correctly haha

TheReligion

Abusive
Thats all well and good if you are a Messi or Ronaldo and can conjure goals out of nothing, but a top young player like Haaland and his ilk,vwho seems to have the world at his feet will look to winning trophies and will need good to great players to help him play well and score. Utd are a team in freefall at the moment with no sign of getting top 4, never mind winning the big trophies. Sancho turned us down just for that reason last summer.
You look a bit silly today

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
If he's within reach at a reasonable price, I'd go for it, but he's far from the priority for this team. A guy like him needs service, through balls, fluidity from the midfield to pick his runs and get on the end of passes. There just isn't enough of that at the moment. So if he gets here as the big prize next summer without reinforcements to fix said issues, he will most likely struggle and the press will jump on that. He's young and seems very confident so maybe it won't affect him that much, but it's still a very tough situation to put a young player in for his first big move.

Stop overreacting. We are one of the greatest clubs in the world who will pay him a kings ransom. Of course he’d join us. He’s nowhere near out of our league. Ibra picked us a few years back and so did Pogba so we obviously are a giant draw.
I don't think you're the draw you think you are. Mourinho has struggled to bring the players he wanted in, because of his style and the lack of results; and that was Mourinho who's one of the most successful coach in club football. Pogba came because he felt he had unfinished business here, Ibra came to get a check while still playing in a good league and Mourinho is his guy.

There is a draw to reviving United to its status as a leading club on the pitch rather than in the finances, and maybe that will have an impact in the future. However, as it stands, there are arguably at least five clubs that are more attractive to players, and the list is in danger of growing more without some actual results on the field.

DSG

This. Signing Haaland would most likely mean he or Martial would start as sub, at this stage why would he move to be a sub?

We need a CF that is basically happy to be a back up to Martial which is why a player like Mandzukic makes sense.

With James form at RW and Greenwood's potential, the biggest opening for a starting slot is at number 10, that is where our budget should be going for me (and why links with Maddison make sense).
You are over rating Martial and under rating Haaland.

It’s a bizarre opinion. Having two great strikers is a good thing, and would go a long ways towards solving our goal scoring issues.

dasty

Before anyone says that he could only score against Austrian farmers, note that he scored 7 CL goals in 4 games. 7 CL goals is more than any goals scored by any of our players (bar Lukaku who scored 7 too but in 17 games) post SAF.

AkaAkuma

He's the wrong profile, we need somebody around 23 who would be happy as an impact sub and capable of covering Martial when he's injured.

Morelos would be an interesting punt at the right price, I think his energy would be infectious and would lift the crowd.

Tarrou

He's the wrong profile, we need somebody around 23 who would be happy as an impact sub and capable of covering Martial when he's injured.

Morelos would be an interesting punt at the right price, I think his energy would be infectious and would lift the crowd.
Not many strikers are happy to be a sub at 23

AkaAkuma

Not many strikers are happy to be a sub at 23
That's why we have scouts and a transfer committee. We can access the right candidate.

I think Dembele has been around for a number of years and knows his level now, he'd be happy in a rotation squad role, Morelos too would appreciate the step up.

Haaland, I think he's just finding his feet and probably with his champs lge exploits feels he's a starter now. He might not have the maturity to play a squad role.

AkaAkuma

Dembele is better than Martial
I think he's a more natural striker, but Martial is one of those unique players that can create a goal out of nothing. You might argue that Dembele can also do that, but not to the same level.

Would Dembele be happy to play a rotation role at United, getting 30 games a year in all competitions? What better options does he have?

RamblingRebel

Hitler dead!
Supports
Burnley

Is this post a wind up? You are honestly suggesting that Manchester United buy a striker to play second fiddle to Martial? He's a good player...in fact he's a very very good player when he can be arsed and isn't injured, but a team like Utd should be buying the best players they can get..it's then up to Martial to train harder and play better to keep his place in the team.

Honestly this "we can't buy so and so as it'll block suck n such's place in team" is the biggest load of nonsense I have ever heard and is the attitude of a mid table teams supporter.

The most successful teams buy the best players or the best prospects. If the players at the club don't like it they can train harder and play better. It's that simple.

I swear if SAF read your post he'd choke on his haggis!

AkaAkuma

Is this post a wind up? You are honestly suggesting that Manchester United buy a striker to play second fiddle to Martial? He's a good player...in fact he's a very very good player when he can be arsed and isn't injured, but a team like Utd should be buying the best players they can get..it's then up to Martial to train harder and play better to keep his place in the team.

Honestly this "we can't buy so and so as it'll block suck n such's place in team" is the biggest load of nonsense I have ever heard and is the attitude of a mid table teams supporter.

The most successful teams buy the best players or the best prospects. If the players at the club don't like it they can train harder and play better. It's that simple.

Seems like your replying to your own inner monologue, as I've not said anything like what you are arguing about.

Martial is one of our best players. We dont need to spend a large part of our budget on buying a better player than him. We do need cover for him though.

meamth

You are over rating Martial and under rating Haaland.

It’s a bizarre opinion. Having two great strikers is a good thing, and would go a long ways towards solving our goal scoring issues.
And then Martial goes injured again..

We had Berba, Tevez, Rooney in the same team.

If that could work, why not now?

Having both Haaland and Martial is a must, we will be fully equiped up front.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Seems like your replying to your own inner monologue, as I've not said anything like what you are arguing about.

Martial is one of our best players. We dont need to spend a large part of our budget on buying a better player than him. We do need cover for him though.
Exactly this. I get what @RamblingRebel is saying but I want to look at it realistically.

1. Ole seems like he has put his complete trust in Martial to be our no.9 and so far he has delivered.

2.He isn't just scoring goals and assisting but his link up play makes us play much better.

These two reasons are why we shouldn't buy Haaland. We've already seen articles of Haaland costing about 70m and paying such amount for a player has to guarantee that they start. Also our team is clearly a team in need of players with great link up play. This is why Lukaku was sold and why Haaland shouldn't be bought.

We buy Haaland for 70m and he should be starting for that price but if he starts then he wouldn't fit our current style of play unlike Martial. And even If he's on the bench he still wouldn't fit our style of play and we'd gave spent 70m to bench him

We definitely need a striker to compete with Martial but a striker of the right profile and the right price and Haaland doesn't fit any of these

AkaAkuma

Exactly this. I get what @RamblingRebel is saying but I want to look at it realistically.

1. Ole seems like he has put his complete trust in Martial to be our no.9 and so far he has delivered.

2.He isn't just scoring goals and assisting but his link up play makes us play much better.

These two reasons are why we shouldn't buy Haaland. We've already seen articles of Haaland costing about 70m and paying such amount for a player has to guarantee that they start. Also our team is clearly a team in need of players with great link up play. This is why Lukaku was sold and why Haaland shouldn't be bought.

We buy Haaland for 70m and he should be starting for that price but if he starts then he wouldn't fit our current style of play unlike Martial. And even If he's on the bench he still wouldn't fit our style of play and we'd gave spent 70m to bench him

We definitely need a striker to compete with Martial but a striker of the right profile and the right price and Haaland doesn't fit any of these
Appreciate somebody gets my point.

I think a lot of people are getting carried away by Haalands story rather than any world class potential.

Who do you think we should be looking at?

Last edited:

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
This is a signing we simply need to make. Personally, I don't see it happenng though - Ole wants 'Rashy' as his main man, the figurehead of his attack and the face of his 'ethos' off the pitch. Haaland coming in would potentially push Rashy into more of a supporting role. This is why Ole is keen on Mandzukic, he's planning for the short-term in that position, just someone to chip in for 1-2yrs.
Christ man, this agenda is getting boring and tiresome. Keep this nonsense to United forums, don't pollute other forums with this stuff.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Anways, getting back to Haaland. This thread is basically divided into two parts - People who regularly watch the Austrian league and our thus convinced of his talent, and others who don't watch that league and don't want him due to OPTA Stats. Even if we discard his record in Austrian League(due to the weakness of that league and Salzburg's domination), he has a ridiculous record in this year's CL too whilsts outplaying the likes of VvD and Koulibaly - two of the world's best CBs.

He's just 19 and looks to have it all as a CF. I'd have him here no questions asked.

Drifter

American
Erling Haaland nets sixth hat-trick of the season

Red Bull Salzburg forward Erling Braut Haaland has netted his sixth hat-trick of the season during the 3-1 win against Wolfsberg in the Austrian Bundesliga.

Haaland has emerged as one of Europe's hottest prospects as a result of his goal scoring exploits, netting 35 goals in 21 appearances in all competitions this season.

Manchester United have been linked with a move for the 19-year-old after manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer confirmed the club would be exploring the possibility of signing a new forward in the January transfer window.

His latest hat-trick has left United fans desperate to see the club broker a deal for the youngster.

No Manchester United player has scored a hat-trick since 2013. Robin van Persie found the back of the net three times against Aston Villa.

Haaland's father, Alf-Inge, recently confirmed that his son would be interested in a move to the Premier League .

He told talkSPORT : "At one stage he would like to play in the Premier League, but when that will happen, I don’t know. It is a very tough league.

"Up to now he is ahead of the stage we thought he would be at. He is built for the Premier League, but whether that will happen now or at a later stage, we don’t know.

"He is at Red Bull, a fantastic club playing Champions League so in a way he is in no hurry.

"Red Bull have shown from the past that they are a ‘middle step’ club, and if they are going to recruit players in the future they can’t put a stupid price tag on the players because nobody would want to go there."

troylocker

I have watched 20 full matches of this guy, and like I said in the football forum thread, I haven't been this excited about a 19 year old striker since R9 in PSV (95/96) Yes, including Mbappe, Owen, Anelka, Benzema, Zlatan and the lot of world class strikers that has emerged after that. There has been talents with better technique and dribbling, yes, but Haalands' skillset is unique! He's a new breed of striker, unlike the rest. We have never seen a 19 year old score goals at this frequency, never. Right now he is scoring more goals than any other player on the planet and he's doing it in the CL too. Breaking records every week. And Haaland is definitely not just a poacher, he also has 6 assists this season so it's not like he doesn't link up with his team-mates either.

"He doesn't fit our profile"!? We don't create enough chances to have a great natural goalscorer in our team now? What kind of backward thinking is that?
Let's face it: Our current trio Martial, Rashford and James has showed that they can link up well lately, but imho we will not be contending for any PL or CL titles if this is our best options up top. We don't need back up for them, we need someone who can provide a shitload of goals. We are Man United and we want the biggest talents on the planet to come to us! Our problems will not be solved by getting in Haaland alone. We need more creativity in the midfield and more depth to the squad all over the pitch as well, but Haaland would be a perfect start. I wonder what Haaland would do with Fred's throughballs and James' perfect low cross yesterday….
I think the January window is our only chance to get him.

Last edited:

GuyfromAustria

Yesterday's hattrick came against Wolfsberg, they are actually pretty good and not your typical cannon fodder. They are playing in the Europa League, drew 1-1 against Roma ... and won 4-0 away against Marco Rose's Gladbach who are top of the Bundesliga.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
He is not the right profile of striker we need. We should be aiming for Mandzukic and Giroud.

Handré1990

It’s true, and you see it more and more. We’ve had posters in here state that we shouldn’t get him because of Greenwood’s development. This isn’t a work training programme ffs!

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
He is not the right profile of striker we need. We should be aiming for Mandzukic and Giroud.

This is not the striker we're looking for!

You can go about your business, Move along!

PS: Third goal;watch the ground he makes up.

Handré1990

Yesterday's hattrick came against Wolfsberg, they are actually pretty good and not your typical cannon fodder. They are playing in the Europa League, drew 1-1 against Roma ... and won 4-0 away against Marco Rose's Gladbach who are top of the Bundesliga.
Tsk, everybody knows, even without watching a game from the league, that all teams, except RBS, are terrible canon fodder. Stats and whatnot.

RamblingRebel

Hitler dead!
Supports
Burnley

:lol: My own inner monologue doesn't need replying too..tbh I wouldn't know where to start anyways. What I was replying to is where you said "He's the wrong profile, we need somebody around 23 who would be happy as an impact sub and capable of covering Martial when he's injured." Thats what I was "arguing" about. So did you say that or not?

Anthony Martial, don't get me wrong can be an very good player on his day...much the same as Nani could on his day. For Utd to get get back to where they were needs players who are performing week in week out and who don't spend a lot of time out injured.

Martial has been at the club long enough now, he should be showing some real consistency. I'd love to see the lad improve and become a crucial part of the team going forward, and for now he probably will be. However on his previous form at the club I wouldn't put my faith in him long term because unfortunately he has proven time and time again he just cannot be consistent and injury free throughout a season. I do hope he proves me wrong though and something clicks in him and he finds consistency at the level he has been lately. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

Even if he was to stay at a high level and injury free. I think it'd be still wise to get the best striker possible who does fit in with Ole's vision. We don't know what his vision is. For all we know Haaland is his idea of the perfect striker and he wants to build a team around him, and the only reason Martial is playing #9 right now is because he's the best choice at the club. Even if he does still see Martial as a #9 going forward it is still wise to buy a top striker with different attributes, let them compete, let them push each other. Let Ole have options. The best Utd squads always had competition for places up front. It's one of the reasons why they were so dominant for the last few decades.

At the end of the day Martial would never have been a first choice striker in the strong Utd teams from SAF's time. He would've been a good option from the bench or for rotation, but he is very upgradeable and I think if Utd are to be a force to be reckoned with again the #9 position needs to be addressed.

If I was a Utd fan I'd be worried how some fans have come to accept that one of your star players being a very good player is acceptable. Star players for Utd should be tremendous players!

AkaAkuma

:lol: My own inner monologue doesn't need replying too..tbh I wouldn't know where to start anyways. What I was replying to is where you said "He's the wrong profile, we need somebody around 23 who would be happy as an impact sub and capable of covering Martial when he's injured." Thats what I was "arguing" about. So did you say that or not?

Anthony Martial, don't get me wrong can be an very good player on his day...much the same as Nani could on his day. For Utd to get get back to where they were needs players who are performing week in week out and who don't spend a lot of time out injured.

Martial has been at the club long enough now, he should be showing some real consistency. I'd love to see the lad improve and become a crucial part of the team going forward, and for now he probably will be. However on his previous form at the club I wouldn't put my faith in him long term because unfortunately he has proven time and time again he just cannot be consistent and injury free throughout a season. I do hope he proves me wrong though and something clicks in him and he finds consistency at the level he has been lately. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

Even if he was to stay at a high level and injury free. I think it'd be still wise to get the best striker possible who does fit in with Ole's vision. We don't know what his vision is. For all we know Haaland is his idea of the perfect striker and he wants to build a team around him, and the only reason Martial is playing #9 right now is because he's the best choice at the club. Even if he does still see Martial as a #9 going forward it is still wise to buy a top striker with different attributes, let them compete, let them push each other. Let Ole have options. The best Utd squads always had competition for places up front. It's one of the reasons why they were so dominant for the last few decades.

At the end of the day Martial would never have been a first choice striker in the strong Utd teams from SAF's time. He would've been a good option from the bench or for rotation, but he is very upgradeable and I think if Utd are to be a force to be reckoned with again the #9 position needs to be addressed.

If I was a Utd fan I'd be worried how some fans have come to accept that one of your star players being a very good player is acceptable. Star players for Utd should be tremendous players!
If you were a United fan? You wrote all that and your not?

I agree with your point about 2 players competing with one another and the best wins his place.

RamblingRebel

Hitler dead!
Supports
Burnley
If you were a United fan? You wrote all that and your not?

I agree with your point about 2 players competing with one another and the best wins his place.
Wasn't aware you needed to be a Utd fan to post here. Am I missing something? Or are you just one of those who can't have a discussion or debate if someone doesn't agree with your point of view and needs to resort to some weird little passive aggressive replies?

AkaAkuma

Wasn't aware you needed to be a Utd fan to post here. Am I missing something? Or are you just one of those who can't have a discussion or debate if someone doesn't agree with your point of view and needs to resort to some weird little passive aggressive replies?
No. I'm just surprised at the level of your reaction considering your not a fan.

You have a tendency to overreact and resort to confrontation outbursts, often reading too much into something.

RamblingRebel

Hitler dead!
Supports
Burnley
No. I'm just surprised at the level of your reaction considering your not a fan.

You have a tendency to overreact and resort to confrontation outbursts, often reading too much into something.
Oh really. Can you please show me where i have resorted to confrontational outbursts please? :lol:

AkaAkuma

Oh really. Can you please show me where i have resorted to confrontational outbursts please? :lol:
Is this a wind up? Am I missing something. :lol:

I've not reacted well to your posting style, hold my hands up to that, but I do think from our short exchange you react to things that you think have been said, rather than anything that has.

RamblingRebel

Hitler dead!
Supports
Burnley
Is this a wind up? Am I missing something. :lol:

I've not reacted well to your posting style, hold my hands up to that, but I do think from our short exchange you react to things that you think have been said, rather than anything that has.
Again, can you show me where I have "reacted to things that I think have been said, rather than anything that has"

I'm assuming "is this a wind up? Am I missing something" is what you deem to be a confrontational outburst? If that's so, I am very sorry if that's how you took it. But basically from where I'm standing, what this seems to boil down to is that because I don't agree with your statement that Martial should be #9 and shouldn't have any real competition. Just someone who can cover for him when he's injured or comes off the bench for a bit of an impact, I am now a target for your little missives.

You haven't offered any discussion back defending your position, but rather only reply using weird little passive aggressive comments directed at me. So let me ask you this. Are you here for discussion and debate, or are you here just to throw out statements that you deem to be gospel and want people to agree with you?

Status
Not open for further replies.