Erling Haaland / signs for Dortmund

Status
Not open for further replies.

riis

Supports
Liverpool
Come on it’s a bonkers move. It’s practically sideways. How’s he then going to get a move from there any time soon?
He'd be playing against teams who regularly qualify for the knockout stages of European competitions. Hardly a sideways step. He could demand a sensible release clause, or even plan on staying with them for 3-4 years. He's only 19. If he moved to Leipzig in January and stayed with them for 3.5 years before moving to a top, top, top club he'd still only be 23 and not even in his prime yet.

wolvored

The only way it matters at all which club a player is a fan of is if the player is getting similar offers from multiple clubs with similar situations but he's a fan of one.

Ramsey picked Arsenal over us at 18 despite growing up a United fan because he saw a better route into the first team there.
Fully agree with you. You have to look at the situation logically not with rose tinted glasses. If you were a footballer offered equal terms you would join city or liverpool before utd as it stands.

Eriku

Fully agree with you. You have to look at the situation logically not with rose tinted glasses. If you were a footballer offered equal terms you would join city or liverpool before utd as it stands.
Sure. But here we also have the Ole connection.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
You really wouldn't. No matter how good this kid is, he isn't better than Aguero, and it's a big ask to even beat Aguero's understudy, Gabriel Jesus. He'd basically be in the same boat as a Sane or Foden, where, no matter how good you are, there are proven, top bracket footballers ahead of you. That is not the best place to be if you are used to playing game in and game out, or if you expect to be doing so.

At Liverpool he would have to get with the program and prove himself beneficial to the system and an usurper of Firmino, who is absolutely essential to the way they play. That's far from assured and again, the price is game time.

At a misfiring team, absolutely desperate for goals and productivity, he'd be an invaluable player who could quickly cement his place as a starter with very little standing in his way.

An up-and-coming youngster, who is not of the undeniable top bracket level (a young Benzema, Neymar or what have you) doesn't want to find himself at a CL/PL contending club too early because there will invariably be more players blocking his path than at clubs that level below, which United clearly are at the moment.

I doubt he goes to the very highest performing clubs with his next move unless given assurances over playing time, which, with better players than him, they have no need to give him.

Far from rose-tinted, rather, it makes more sense that a young player goes where he is needed rather than where he's just another player with some of the best in the business [way] ahead of him.

DSG

The one player we should sign from Salzburg is Hwang Hee-Chan.

Haaland is still far from being competent in some elements of the game. His touch, passing(especially one touch) and positioning in the build-up play is far from being good enough. His output is more down to being the main end product player(poacher) in a highly functional team than him being a great player. His abilities and style as a player would not suit our squad composition, nor our needs as a team. If we are going to sign an attacking player, we would need to sign someone that can create and score and suit many different styles of play, like Hee-Chan. Not a pure poacher like Haaland.
Wow. I mean, I guess if you are going to take a position, however idiotic it may be, it would be logical for you to actually watch the games of the player that you have an opinion of.

But then again, this is the Caf. We farm and harvest negativity here, and there is no need to watch football. More interesting to comment upon it.

Haaland plays for a high press team. He’s 195cm, runs like the wind, is incredibly strong on the ball and is a good finisher. He has a very good first touch, excellent technique. He’s scored 7 goals in the CL against the likes of Liverpool and Napoli. In just 4 matches. 23 goals in 17 appearances in all comps. He is from Norway and we happen to have Norway’s most revered footballer of all time, who managed the lad at Molde. He’s got absolutely everything in his locker, mate, and we’d be mental not to at least try and acquire him.

Is he a sure thing? No. There is no sure thing in football. But if you have two eyes and a brain, you can see he is a technically gifted physical specimen that looks to me like Zlatan 2.0.

And yet, there are members of the Caf who don’t think he’s good enough.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Wow. I mean, I guess if you are going to take a position, however idiotic it may be, it would be logical for you to actually watch the games of the player that you have an opinion of.

But then again, this is the Caf. We farm and harvest negativity here, and there is no need to watch football. More interesting to comment upon it.

Haaland plays for a high press team. He’s 195cm, runs like the wind, is incredibly strong on the ball and is a good finisher. He has a very good first touch, excellent technique. He’s scored 7 goals in the CL against the likes of Liverpool and Napoli. In just 4 matches. 23 goals in 17 appearances in all comps. He is from Norway and we happen to have Norway’s most revered footballer of all time, who managed the lad at Molde. He’s got absolutely everything in his locker, mate, and we’d be mental not to at least try and acquire him.

Is he a sure thing? No. There is no sure thing in football. But if you have two eyes and a brain, you can see he is a technically gifted physical specimen that looks to me like Zlatan 2.0.

:lol:
Got to be one of the funniest and most accurate posts on here for ages!
Sir, I applaud you:)

wolvored

You really wouldn't. No matter how good this kid is, he isn't better than Aguero, and it's a big ask to even beat Aguero's understudy, Gabriel Jesus. He'd basically be in the same boat as a Sane or Foden, where, no matter how good you are, there are proven, top bracket footballers ahead of you. That is not the best place to be if you are used to playing game in and game out, or if you expect to be doing so.

At Liverpool he would have to get with the program and prove himself beneficial to the system and an usurper of Firmino, who is absolutely essential to the way they play. That's far from assured and again, the price is game time.

At a misfiring team, absolutely desperate for goals and productivity, he'd be an invaluable player who could quickly cement his place as a starter with very little standing in his way.

An up-and-coming youngster, who is not of the undeniable top bracket level (a young Benzema, Neymar or what have you) doesn't want to find himself at a CL/PL contending club too early because there will invariably be more players blocking his path than at clubs that level below, which United clearly are at the moment.

I doubt he goes to the very highest performing clubs with his next move unless given assurances over playing time, which, with better players than him, they have no need to give him.

Far from rose-tinted, rather, it makes more sense that a young player goes where he is needed rather than where he's just another player with some of the best in the business [way] ahead of him.
Thats all well and good if you are a Messi or Ronaldo and can conjure goals out of nothing, but a top young player like Haaland and his ilk,vwho seems to have the world at his feet will look to winning trophies and will need good to great players to help him play well and score. Utd are a team in freefall at the moment with no sign of getting top 4, never mind winning the big trophies. Sancho turned us down just for that reason last summer.

Fosu-Mens

I'm not saying that Haaland is a sh*t player, only that he currently is not good enough in certain areas of the game which makes him not that useful for certain teams. If your team is creating a lot of chances and dominating games, then having a poacher with his movement and positioning in the box would make a lot of sense. And he would perform very well in a system like this. If you don't then his limitations as a player, from the matches I have seen of him from Tippeligaen, CL and the Norwegian national team, makes it obvious that he still got some technical elements to improve upon. If we bought him as a potential future world-beater, then I agree that such a transfer makes sense. But as a starter, in our current team, then no chance. Our inability to control games and create chances does not fit with his style as a player at all.

And our biggest need as a team is not buying a poacher that might turn out to be great...

Comparing his technical ability to Zlatans is not a good comparison at all. His technique is decent for his size and age, but not anything to rave about. Watch the games and see the number of times his touch is too hard when not standing still, or when his one-touch pass does not hit the target.
His positioning in the box is superb and the people that knows him says that his biggest strength is his mentality. These two things are something to rave about.

DSG

I'm not saying that Haaland is a sh*t player, only that he currently is not good enough in certain areas of the game which makes him not that useful for certain teams. If your team is creating a lot of chances and dominating games, then having a poacher with his movement and positioning in the box would make a lot of sense. And he would perform very well in a system like this. If you don't then his limitations as a player, from the matches I have seen of him from Tippeligaen, CL and the Norwegian national team, makes it obvious that he still got some technical elements to improve upon. If we bought him as a potential future world-beater, then I agree that such a transfer makes sense. But as a starter, in our current team, then no chance. Our inability to control games and create chances does not fit with his style as a player at all.

And our biggest need as a team is not buying a poacher that might turn out to be great...

Comparing his technical ability to Zlatans is not a good comparison at all. His technique is decent for his size and age, but not anything to rave about. Watch the games and see the number of times his touch is too hard when not standing still, or when his one-touch pass does not hit the target.
His positioning in the box is superb and the people that knows him says that his biggest strength is his mentality. These two things are something to rave about.
Ah, right. He’s not perfect. Ok, I’ll give you that.

Let’s hope Ole, the scouting dept and Woodward are more in line with my assessment, and the 97% of clubs and scouts in European football who say this kid has an extremely bright future. Not your opinion, which is basically saying we don’t need a young talented striker whose movement in the box is sublime because we don’t create enough chances.

roodey

Another Hattrick against my hometown club ... this guy is a machine

Haaland scores a hattrick about twice a month. Last time a United player scored a hattrick was six years ago, and people don't want him cause he is "just a poacher". This is a strange forum.

SER19

Very exciting player, for those who absolutely want him, how are you hoping we'd line up next season

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
RBS are clearly way too good for that league.

We should definitely be looking to sign him to give us another option with martial

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Very exciting player, for those who absolutely want him, how are you hoping we'd line up next season
He'd be a squad player. Nothing wrong with that, hes 19 years old and would be coming from the Austrian league to the prem. He wouldnt start right away, nothing wrong with that though. We need depth in our attack, and with Greenwood and Haaland we would have that.

SER19

He'd be a squad player. Nothing wrong with that, hes 19 years old and would be coming from the Austrian league to the prem. He wouldnt start right away, nothing wrong with that though. We need depth in our attack, and with Greenwood and Haaland we would have that.
Martial, rashford, haland and Greenwood. Exciting front 4 it must be said

lysglimt

Scout
Only 26 goals in 18 matches this season

Just checked - Hans Krankl has the record in Austria - he scored Amazing 41 goals in 36 matches in 77/78. That one should be hard to beat!

Alabaster Codify7

This is a signing we simply need to make. Personally, I don't see it happenng though - Ole wants 'Rashy' as his main man, the figurehead of his attack and the face of his 'ethos' off the pitch. Haaland coming in would potentially push Rashy into more of a supporting role. This is why Ole is keen on Mandzukic, he's planning for the short-term in that position, just someone to chip in for 1-2yrs.

Gordon S

excellent technique
I've only seen him a handful of games so i am certainly no expert, but i haven't yet seen anything from him that makes me think he has "excellent technique"

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I've only seen him a handful of games so i am certainly no expert, but i haven't yet seen anything from him that makes me think he has "excellent technique"
So you’ve basically negated your own opinion

lysglimt

Scout
Well he certainly has excellent pace - look at that 3rd goal they score today. That is a 60 yard run at full pace where he actually starts behind his teammate - and he still is in the box to tuck the ball into the net.

DSG

This is a signing we simply need to make. Personally, I don't see it happenng though - Ole wants 'Rashy' as his main man, the figurehead of his attack and the face of his 'ethos' off the pitch. Haaland coming in would potentially push Rashy into more of a supporting role. This is why Ole is keen on Mandzukic, he's planning for the short-term in that position, just someone to chip in for 1-2yrs.
Disagree. Rashford wants to be on the left side of a front three. This has been confirmed by Rashford and Ole. Haaland would take Martial’s spot.

Before people say that there is no way Haaland is first choice striker over Martial, I’d like to remind you,

1. Martial is frequently injured
2. Martial hasn’t proven he can contribute 25-30 goals a season, and we are now on year 4.
3. Martial has been very good of late in his hold up play and passing, but he’s not exactly an aerial threat. In fact, none of our strikers are good in the air.

Mandzukic was a stop gap solution to solve our weakness in the air. Haaland would solve that, plus he offers much more than Mandzukic.

DSG

Surprisingly good close control for such a big body. It’s a huge advantage in hold up play and in the box because he can use his huge body to create space, but still keeps the ball close, unlike Lukaku.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
What are you talking about? Signing Haaland impacts Martial (the guy who Ole handpicked to wear the #9 shirt if you remember) much more than it impacts Rashford. It's comfortably mentioned by Ole, Mourinho and Southgate that Rashford plays better in and around the forward line but not as a #9. But continue with your fan-fiction if you must.

Gordon S

Has Ole said anything about this?

troylocker

Has scored 26 in 1251 minutes this season and contributed to 32! goals this season, and we’re not even mid-November yet. Lightning fast, sublime off the ball movement, strong as a bull and elite mentality. If we sign this guy, probably for 60-80M, it is not as a squad player. It will be as main striker.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
What are you talking about? Signing Haaland impacts Martial (the guy who Ole handpicked to wear the #9 shirt if you remember) much more than it impacts Rashford. It's comfortably mentioned by Ole, Mourinho and Southgate that Rashford plays better in and around the forward line but not as a #9. But continue with your fan-fiction if you must.
This. Signing Haaland would most likely mean he or Martial would start as sub, at this stage why would he move to be a sub?

We need a CF that is basically happy to be a back up to Martial which is why a player like Mandzukic makes sense.

With James form at RW and Greenwood's potential, the biggest opening for a starting slot is at number 10, that is where our budget should be going for me (and why links with Maddison make sense).

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Thats all well and good if you are a Messi or Ronaldo and can conjure goals out of nothing, but a top young player like Haaland and his ilk,vwho seems to have the world at his feet will look to winning trophies and will need good to great players to help him play well and score. Utd are a team in freefall at the moment with no sign of getting top 4, never mind winning the big trophies. Sancho turned us down just for that reason last summer.
Hello there!

Sancho never turned us down. Because he never got the chance to :p Woodward went to Dortmunds chief executive and asked about the chances of buying Sancho this season. He flat out told him it was off the table, and so the club never placed a bid. I've heard the "no one wants to come here" narrative, but in this case that's just not true.

THAT BEING SAID! I don't think Sancho would have wanted to leave Dortmund regardless, because he's an essential piece on a Dortmund team who's playing in the CL. Of course if Dortmund had accepted a bid, the player would be out the door since MUFC does not bid on players before the club knows the selling club is interested in selling.

We're not so much in freefall as we are restructuring everything. We are throwing away the playbook since 2013, and rebranding the team in Sir Alex's image. That process takes time. Manchester United is the youngest team in the Premier League this season. Todays team was 23y350d old, the youngest squad to play in the league this season. This iteration of Manchester United is not the finished product, and we will stumble here and there, but its all for the greater picture. 11 MUFC academy graduates have seen the pitch this season.

Jadon Sancho does remain a target however and will most likely be persuaded aggressively by the club in 2020, along with Haaland in January (Will Haaland accept a development role with Martial ahead of him is another quesiton). Martin Ødegaard is sailing up as a very likely transfer chip if Paul Pogba decides that he needs to spend time in Madrid for the 20/21 season.

There are so many amazing talents in the 18/20 y range brewing in Europe now, and Manchester United will target several of them. And how about our new left back Brandon Williams that's come out of nowhere. First game today. Man of the Match.

You see freefall, I see giant rising.

Mcking

I agree. I already wrote why I think this in the thread. Look at Haaland's Opta stats. What does he actually do during a game? Not much. He makes only 21 passes per 90 minutes and only finds a team mate in 6 out of 10. People currently complaining about the boring football and lack of attacking threat will explode if it got any worse. If he played in PL - the most intense on the planet - his pass completion rate would actually fall. From an already unacceptably low 61%.
I understand where you are coming from, but to be fair to him, there are different types of strikers. Some strikers prefer to stay in the box, occupy the defenders, hug the offside line, and run in behind. Not every striker has to be Firmino or Martial.
Abraham and Vardy are the top two goalscorers in the the league this season, and lead the line for two of the best and most progressive teams in the league. Looking at their stats, Abraham attempts 15.6 passes per 90, completing 10.7, while Vardy attempts 12.2 per 90, completing 8.5. Looks awful right? It isn't because that is just the type of strikers they are.
I'm assuming Haaland's numbers are for UCL, and 61% pass completion rate isn't good obviously, but the lad is just 19, and he was playing for Salzburg against the likes of Koulibaly, Manolas, Matip and Van Dijk. Four games is a small sample size too, would love to know his Bundesliga stats.

wolvored

Hello there!

Sancho never turned us down. Because he never got the chance to :p Woodward went to Dortmunds chief executive and asked about the chances of buying Sancho this season. He flat out told him it was off the table, and so the club never placed a bid. I've heard the "no one wants to come here" narrative, but in this case that's just not true.

THAT BEING SAID! I don't think Sancho would have wanted to leave Dortmund regardless, because he's an essential piece on a Dortmund team who's playing in the CL. Of course if Dortmund had accepted a bid, the player would be out the door since MUFC does not bid on players before the club knows the selling club is interested in selling.

We're not so much in freefall as we are restructuring everything. We are throwing away the playbook since 2013, and rebranding the team in Sir Alex's image. That process takes time. Manchester United is the youngest team in the Premier League this season. Todays team was 23y350d old, the youngest squad to play in the league this season. This iteration of Manchester United is not the finished product, and we will stumble here and there, but its all for the greater picture. 11 MUFC academy graduates have seen the pitch this season.

Jadon Sancho does remain a target however and will most likely be persuaded aggressively by the club in 2020, along with Haaland in January (Will Haaland accept a development role with Martial ahead of him is another quesiton). Martin Ødegaard is sailing up as a very likely transfer chip if Paul Pogba decides that he needs to spend time in Madrid for the 20/21 season.

There are so many amazing talents in the 18/20 y range brewing in Europe now, and Manchester United will target several of them. And how about our new left back Brandon Williams that's come out of nowhere. First game today. Man of the Match.

I wish I was as optimistic as you. 2013 we won the league. Since then we have never been in touching distance. we now have 2 giants head and shoulders above everyone else. Then we have another 2 teams who are way beyond us performance wise, even though strangely we have recorded victories against them. Lampard hasnt had any transfers in, lost their wc player yet still got Chelsea playing a good game consistantly. Rodgers went into Leicester and advanced them. Why has it took 100s of millions of pounds and 4 managers to still be worse than 6 years ago here?

Fosu-Mens

Ah, right. He’s not perfect. Ok, I’ll give you that.

Let’s hope Ole, the scouting dept and Woodward are more in line with my assessment, and the 97% of clubs and scouts in European football who say this kid has an extremely bright future. Not your opinion, which is basically saying we don’t need a young talented striker whose movement in the box is sublime because we don’t create enough chances.
I certainly hope not. I just don't see how his abilities (which we disagree on) would translate or work for our less than imposing attacking play. Maybe if we get a focal point in attack it might help our overall attacking play, but when we struggle to play through one line of players I doubt it.

Buying him on the basis of his talent and that he can become really good in the future is something i can agree with, because despite my opinions of his abilities I'm not going to say that he is not extremely talented in some areas of the game... I'm not ok with buying him as a starter or instead of a midfielder which is what we need the most.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Hello there!

I like your optimism and there are positive signs around the corner.

With that said we need to be careful with our future transfers. I think it would be a huge gamble to invest 100m plus in a young talent like Sancho. With such a huge price tag the expectations will be enormous and I’m not sure he’s ready for such a challenge yet.

Erling Haaland is probably a generation talent and his skill set are unique. His physic, speed and movements are exceptional for player at his age. His stats are unreal and if we’re interested then this or next window is the time to do business. If he continue to score goals for fun then his price will sky rocket and maybe he will cost closer to 100 then 60m.

Resch

I agree. I already wrote why I think this in the thread. Look at Haaland's Opta stats. What does he actually do during a game? Not much. He makes only 21 passes per 90 minutes and only finds a team mate in 6 out of 10. People currently complaining about the boring football and lack of attacking threat will explode if it got any worse. If he played in PL - the most intense on the planet - his pass completion rate would actually fall. From an already unacceptably low 61%.
Have you seen Salzburg playing? Most of the time Salzburg has completion rate about 70 %. Not good enough for you? High pressing teams like Salzburg accept loosing the ball aslong it is in the right part of the pitch.

Handré1990

Ole really hates anybody who hasn’t come through the United system, and would probably bully the players brought in from the outside until they left, even if he decided to bring them in himself. That’s why Lingard starts every important game when he’s not injured. Oh, Ole also really dislike players with tattoos on their left leg, like he, can’t even force himself to talk to them.
Anybody can make shit up and pass it on as fact.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.