Erling Haaland / signs for Dortmund

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The closest I can think of is actually another Norwegian. A young John Carew. But he was clumsy on the ball, and had a very poor finish. But in terms of speed , strength and size, he was something very special in his younger days.
Is that John the shrew?

GuyfromAustria

Both RB clubs doing exceptionally well too, which further demonstrates what a proper football structure can achieve. This Salzburg team must've cost less than Fred.
Yesterday's starting XI must have cost less than Dalot, I think.

Micky Targaryen

First time in this thead. Judging from the thread title, if he's really as good as they say he is, why can't we just bid now? Why are we 'ready to bid' in January?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
His style of play will make him crowd favorite. Love the intensity in his play and how he is obsessed with goals.

If Salzburg qualifies for next round then don't think he will leave in Jan. Hopefully we will agree everything in Jan and let him stay till summer if they qualify.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Haaland is 3" taller than Adriano and over 10kg heavier than the peak-paced Adriano you're referencing.
The closest I can think of is actually another Norwegian. A young John Carew. But he was clumsy on the ball, and had a very poor finish. But in terms of speed , strength and size, he was something very special in his younger days.
Carew more like a Lomuh - decent acceleration, into a freight train once opening up on a straight.

Haaland's acceleration is freakish, like something belonging to a different height of striker. Just stands out a lot to me because he breaks the generic mode of the big-slowish-out-the-blocks-but-actually-fast-once-they-get-going-big-men we've seen through the years.

Pallister was supposedly the fastest player at United over 60m and 100m, but 30m and under, he'd have no chance. Haaland bucks that trend as he breaks from a standing start in a way someone that big and tall rarely can.

Couple that with his strength, determination and aggression and you've got a big problem for a lot of defenders before the tangibles of actual game are factored in.

If he is the real deal, his physical advantages will couple to his ability and make him a striker defenders don't know whether to get physical with or stand off.

He needs to show more variety in his finishes, but there's no reason to say that won't come in time, particularly as and when needed - evolving to not be 'figured out' being prerequisite.

The upcoming game with Liverpool is definitely one for believers and non-believers alike to tune into and analyse the kid. It's a high stakes game against an opponent some consider the best CB on the planet.

theklr

Haaland is 3" taller than Adriano and over 10kg heavier than the peak-paced Adriano you're referencing.

Carew more like a Lomuh - decent acceleration, into a freight train once opening up on a straight.

Haaland's acceleration is freakish, like something belonging to a different height of striker. Just stands out a lot to me because he breaks the generic mode of the big-slowish-out-the-blocks-but-actually-fast-once-they-get-going-big-men we've seen through the years.

Pallister was supposedly the fastest player at United over 60m and 100m, but 30m and under, he'd have no chance. Haaland bucks that trend as he breaks from a standing start in a way someone that big and tall rarely can.

Couple that with his strength, determination and aggression and you've got a big problem for a lot of defenders before the tangibles of actual game are factored in.

If he is the real deal, his physical advantages will couple to his ability and make him a striker defenders don't know whether to get physical with or stand off.

He needs to show more variety in his finishes, but there's no reason to say that won't come in time, particularly as and when needed - evolving to not be 'figured out' being prerequisite.

The upcoming game with Liverpool is definitely one for believers and non-believers alike to tune into and analyse the kid. It's a high stakes game against an opponent some consider the best CB on the planet.
Variety in finishes? I like how he is consistently finishing in the net, dont need no variety in that

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Variety in finishes? I like how he is consistently finishing in the net, dont need no variety in that
The bigger your name and reputation, the more you are studied, the more means you need to have to accomplish your goal (badum tisch!).

It's a free for all for him in Austria, and although he's doing amazingly well in the CL to this point in time, the top quality defenders and defenses, are on the whole, yet to come.

When he faces adversity and is being doubled or even tripled up on, he's going to have to show more guile than he's needed to as of yet, perhaps.

If he's in the elite bracket of finishers, his wits will connect with his feet and come up with ways for him to score, even off half chances that don't allow for what seem to be trademark drives low and across the goal with his left foot.

A question soon to be asked is whether he can be shown to his weaker foot, and what he'll actually do in scenarios where that happens. The top bracket, it doesn't really matter where the ball falls - if there's a chance for them to connect, the odds of them getting a quality shot on target is high. We can't know if Haaland has that trait in him until he either shows more types of finishes, or comes up against the next rung of defenders and carries on as is.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

Where're you getting Haaland size from? Adriano's 1.89m and around 88-90kg at his peak with Inter.

I find it hard to believe Haaland's nearly 2m and over 100kg

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
2 goals (1 unfairly disallowed) and an assist in about 25 minutes :lol: Genk must hate the sight of him.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Where're you getting Haaland size from? Adriano's 1.89m and around 88-90kg at his peak with Inter.

I find it hard to believe Haaland's nearly 2m and over 100kg
Adriano is 6' 2". Haaland is 6' 4" and still growing, supposedly. Isn't there also talk of Haaland being c. 100kg?

Googling, and sites like Who Scored and Transfermarkt have Haaland at 1.94 and other sites have him at 1.91. I can understand why there'd be a disparity as he's still a teenager and still growing and one set of statistics may be outdated and in need of updating.

Looking at him and how he stands over players, particularly CB's, I'm inclined to believe the 1.94.

Adriano's peak at Inter, he was never really classed as a physically imposing beast, ala a Bierhoff, Jancker, Jardel or what have you, but he was known for his ridiculous power in shooting and being an impressive athlete. Haaland, by appearance, would be lumped in the generic big man, donkey category, until people actually saw how he runs and his short-bust and lateral acceleration. It is freakish.

*Riley*

If he is a 'once in a generation' player guess what, he isn't coming here!

We have very little to offer him in comparison to almost every other big club chasing him, and they will be chasing him.

'but he has links to Ole' if only football worked like that.

'he'll choose a club to develop before silverware' nope! Look at the best young CB, off to Juve. The best young CM, Barca and the best young forward, PSG!

'just pay the fee' again, if only that would work. This isn't Football Manager. Before a fee is talked about, you have to get the lad to want to join. I'm no convinced he does.

All expect to win their respective leagues and challenge for the Champions league.

We won't even be able to offer him the Europa League next season!

Let's move me

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
So nice of us to inform the media of all our transfer targets as it gives all the other clubs a fair chance to make a bid too.

MetoTTT

So nice of us to inform the media of all our transfer targets as it gives all the other clubs a fair chance to make a bid too.
If it is not the club, the agent of the player or his entourage will tell the press and cause a biding war anyway.
All this to wake up the other candidates, to have more choices, a better offer. Sometimes even the interest of some clubs is pure speculation. We all know that.

Eric's Seagull

I agree with what you say. If we want a certain player it shouldn't be briefed to the media so we should try to get the player as soon as we are interested before other teams make a bid.

Eric's Seagull

His style of play will make him crowd favorite. Love the intensity in his play and how he is obsessed with goals.

If Salzburg qualifies for next round then don't think he will leave in Jan. Hopefully we will agree everything in Jan and let him stay till summer if they qualify.
It would be sensible to make a bid in January even if it means he stays there until the summer. As at the rate he is scoring at, his value could increase a lot by the summer and there could be a few more clubs interested.

Also if Norway qualifies for the Euro's, he may have a decent tournament making his value increase further again.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I agree with what you say. If we want a certain player it shouldn't be briefed to the media so we should try to get the player as soon as we are interested before other teams make a bid.
It wont be United doing it. As soon as we contact an agent or a club about a player there is nothing we can do to stop that news leaking, and they have every reason to leak it and very few reasons not to.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Selling teams arent stupid. If united comes knocking with 50 they'd delay it and leak some rumors. If barca shows interest or at least rumored to be interested they'd ask for 70.

Haggling is a 2 way street.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I get your point. How much do you think he is worth?
For me? Nothing
For barcelona? 10m
For us? 60?
For city? 5?

He's worth what the buyers values him. I know it sounds cliche but unless he has a release clause his worth will vary accordingly. I'd even think his value depends alot on our form. If we won our next 6 games i dont think we'll pay 60m for him

Eric's Seagull

For me? Nothing
For barcelona? 10m
For us? 60?
For city? 5?

He's worth what the buyers values him. I know it sounds cliche but unless he has a release clause his worth will vary accordingly. I'd even think his value depends alot on our form. If we won our next 6 games i dont think we'll pay 60m for him
I've read Salzburg want £85m. Although this could be a load of crap. So do you think £60m is the maximum we would pay for him?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
The boy can play with Martial too by the way. If we really want to go back to the 'United Way' then we need a striker and a 9.5. Think Cole and Cantona or Yorke and Cole. Maybe it's time we stop pussying around with formations and go back to the classic 442 with one striker as the playmaker. I've always thought as Martial as a budget Eric so i'm convinced he can play that role and that like Eric he'll make runs that are useful instead of 'meaningless'. It'd be a risk and wouldn't fully work until we signed 2 midfielders who can both defend and play passes but why not just go balls to the wall attacking?
Been saying it for years, we should stick to what we do best. 442. 2 strong CM, 2 wingers and 2 up top. Leicester showed that you can still win the PL doing that

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
This kid just gets the job done. He's got a natural instinct you can't teach to mediocre players.

troylocker

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
They won't even concider 60M in January. 75-85M at least. If he sends Liverpool to Europa league, it might get even higher.
Where he ends up is really up to him. He has stated very clearly that development comes before anything on this stage of his career, and he will not go to a club where he is 2nd choice and spend most of the time on the bench. When he signed for RBS in August 2018, he turned down 2 x salaries from Juve to join a club where his development would be prioritized. Those who think our current league position is important for where he signes a 5 year deal, is just wrong. If he thinks there is ambition here, there is a chance we'll get him. All other CL-teams in England, Italy and Spain already has top-strikers that would make it harder for him to get the minutes he wants. Dortmund and Leipzig are two alternatives in Germany, but they don't have the money to spend this big and we are the best of the rest.

Last edited:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Aa is not pronounced a, it's the same as å in the Noggie language, and is pronounced a bit like how you say the o in boat and goat.

Think this will annoy me as much when listening to English commentators and the way they pronounce Lindelöf.
There's no o or f sound in Lindelöf in Swedish ;)
So it's pronounced Ho-land?

How is Lindelof pronounced?

Eric's Seagull

I think we are probably short in midfield. Also it wouldn’t suit Rashford
I also think we would be short in midfield. If we were to revert to 4-4-2 would you bring in a defensive midfielder or play 2 box to box midfielders. Also if we brought in a pure left winger, do you think Rashford could perform well as one of the 2 strikers in this formation?

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
For me? Nothing
For barcelona? 10m
For us? 60?
For city? 5?

I see where you're coming from with your valuations, but it doesn't really work like that, he would be worth more to City and Barca that 10 and 5 mil purely for the value increase, if he wasnt valuable to anyone else bar us then he would go for a lot less tha 60m.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I also think we would be short in midfield. If we were to revert to 4-4-2 would you bring in a defensive midfielder or play 2 box to box midfielders. Also if we brought in a pure left winger, do you think Rashford could perform well as one of the 2 strikers in this formation?
Others would disagree but I’d go 2 box to box as long as our wingers and forwards are creative enough. Rashford isn’t good as a central striker on his own so it would be interesting to see if he could play in a 2 with someone like Haaland

troylocker

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'

I think it's more like "Hawland".

For Lindelof I think it's something like this: Linde is straight forward, the ö is like the first sound (vowel) in "urge" and the F is pronounced v.

Am I getting it right?

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"

Not Ho-land :lol:
Unless you pronounce the o like you do when you say boat or goat in English, and not like hoe.

The f in Lindelöf is pronounced like v in Swedish, i'm preeeetty sure, maybe some Swedish Caftard can confirm.
The ö is pronounced like the Noggie ø, which is a bit like how you say the u in cnut and feck ( :lol: ) in English.

Another fun one is the Swede Kim Källström, can't remember who he played for, but had a decent career, his name is pronounced "Kjellström" (ö same as in Lindelöf).

Languages are fun!

Edit: Troylocker explained better than me!

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
I think it's more like "Hawland".

For Lindelof I think it's something like this: Linde is straight forward, the ö is like the first sound (vowel) in "urge" and the F is pronounced v.

Am I getting it right?
Hawland is a good one!
Yeah, spot on!

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Not Ho-land :lol:
Unless you pronounce the o like you do when you say boat or goat in English, and not like hoe.

The f in Lindelöf is pronounced like v in Swedish, i'm preeeetty sure, maybe some Swedish Caftard can confirm.
The ö is pronounced like the Noggie ø, which is a bit like how you say the u in cnut and feck ( :lol: ) in English.

Another fun one is the Swede Kim Källström, can't remember who he played for, but had a decent career, his name is pronounced "Kjellström" (ö same as in Lindelöf).

Languages are fun!

Edit: Troylocker explained better than me!
Yeah, I'd say boat like bote.

Always good to know the right way to say things :D

Bestietom

What I like about him is, he is always on the prowl to score. He is a proper front man and would score many goals for us if we could manage to get him.

Status
Not open for further replies.