Erling Haaland / signs for Dortmund

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedDevilRoshi

For 20M, it is an absolute steal. Just like the James transfer, it’s one that is very low risk.

MDFC Manager

If we've learned anything from the last few years it's that very few of our attacking players tend to be in form at the same time. Options are a good thing, particuarly when you've had problems scoring goals over the last few years.
Such a great point. Off form forwards are a key reason behind our struggles, especially in the league.

Infestissumam

Ole taking the time to personally fly over is a good sign ... obviously didn't come to chat about the weather.

I'm glad they are trying hard to get him. It's one of these examples where in the past, we'd let those talents go somewhere else on the cheap and then get linked to them for ridiculous money a year or two later. Hopefully Ole knowing him well gives us an advantage, but Dortmund and Leipzig are tempting options for those young players. Go there, play a lot, learn and develop, then move on to the big boys in 2 years ... it makes sense. So fingers crossed we get him.

Personally I have no doubts he's the real deal. Like I've said before, we've seen big talents here in Salzburg before, but he's the biggest one so far IMO.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Few weeks back people complained saying we have limited budget and shouldn't spend big on CF position, now that he is available for 20 million, it's very easy decision.

Bratt

Just an observation from the video I watched. All but one of the 24 goals in the video were scored inside the 18. Maybe a hand full from inside the 6. Not many headers. Still, he’s scoring goals which we’re having trouble with.
Van Nistelrooy only scored once from outside the penalty area for us didn’t he?
I’d say that’s the kind of striker we really need.
James’s deliveries needs a striker like that imo.

Son

What like most about him is that even when his not scoring / assisting, his directness and running at defenders constantly keeps them on their feet it can’t be underestimated how much this wears them out both physically and mentally and frees up space for other players.
When you think about the best wing players in the world Rashford is right up there now. Neymar & Mbappe I love to watch when they are in full flow but Rashford isn't a million miles behind either of them this season. Something the academy can be proud of as he is more than repaying the big contract we offered him.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Few weeks back people complained saying we have limited budget and shouldn't spend big on CF position, now that he is available for 20 million, it's very easy decision.
Hahaha fat chance! There’ll always be those who will find a reason to complain! Even if we could nab him for free....some will still complain

troylocker

After watching a few videos, I’m not totally convinced. His technical ability is questionable. He runs with his head down and his dribbling and ball control is quite awkward looking. He does look like a decent finisher though. For a low fee, I guess he’s worth a punt, but I’m not seeing where all the hype is coming from.
When you watch a highlight video on youtube, you will see goals, assists and some skills no matter what young talent or player you are watching. Most players look good in a 5-10 minute highlighted video, these videos doesn’t tell much though. An eye test at best. The thing is that the quantity of end product in this guy is so extreme, it’s hard to grasp. And it is not showing in a youtubevideo. YouTube favourites like Vincius and Barca-Dembele for instance look brilliant in a compilation on youtube, but both struggle to deliver any end product. For every goal these guys have contributed to this season, Haaland has contributed to five (by minutes played). For every goal Martial has contributed to this season Haaland has contributed to 2,5 goals. Haaland needs less than half the shots Martial needs to find the back of the net. My point is that the frequenzy of brilliant moments does not show in a highlight reel, and does not show him justice.

Haaland is the striker in European football this season with the highest conversion rate (shots/goal: 2,7shots/goal), the highest contribution rate (41,8 minutes/goal+assist) in all competitions, the highest goal rate (52,25 minutes/goal), he is the topscorer in all competitions (28 goals), has the most goal+assists (35) and he won the golden boot (9 goals) in the latest U20 world cup. He also tops the contribution and goal rate lists of the CL this season. He might look a bit clumsy with his big frame and long limbs, but his technique is actually quite good. His finishing is not good, it is world class, and so is his movement and positioning. His physical attributes and energy is unique. He is the real deal and will become a monster anywhere he goes.

Son

Sure. And yet:

AM: Lingard, Pereira, Mata
CM: Pogba, Fred
DM: Motiminay, Matic

Amen to that.
Our CAM options are absolutely diabolical unfortunately.

I still think we need a player like McGinn in midfield as an option plus one potential world class CAM to dominate sides even with that suprierior attack.

We are crying out for a player who works well in tight spaces and connects our midfield and attack. Mata is no longer the player he was at Chelsea unforunately and Pogba god knows what his mental state is atm.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I admit that besides CL i didn't watch him. Isn't he too slow for Ole's football? He strikes me as typical target man. And how much he will cost?

Bratt

I admit that besides CL i didn't watch him. Isn't he too slow for Ole's football? He strikes me as typical target man. And how much he will cost?
Have not watched him a lot my self, but I really wouldn’t call him slow.
Despite his size, he’s actually pretty fast.

Handré1990

Should we worry about his perceived lack of technical ability? I've only watched him in a handful games so i'm not really that familiar with his game to pass judgment.

Any Noggy posters or even @Resch 's opinion would be good to hear.
No we shouldn’t worry. His technique is more than decent. His first touch is good more often than not. I’d describe him as effective more than aestethic, which might throw people off and make them think his dribbling, technique and touch is bad, which is far from the truth. He’s also usually quick to release the ball because his instinct is to get on the end of chances. He is inconsistent in his technique and touch, but he has shown enough silky moments to know he isn’t, and never was a Lukaku clone, no matter how much it gets repeated in here.

To be clear, his world class attributes at this moment are his physical attributes and his finishing. The rest is at more than an adequate level, and should become better.

Edit: Another good point I’ll shamelessly steal from @Bratt is that Haaland is completely different from Martial, Rashford and even Greenwood. All three likes a lot of contact with the ball. Haaland will be moving in and around the box looking for opportunities, something we sorely lack. More Ruud than Lukaku indeed.

Last edited:

troylocker

I think Haaland has great potential but would have much preferred Minamino as much of Salzburg's dynamism comes through the Japanese international.
Minamino has had a great season, and so has Hwang and Daka as well. The thing is he is 24 and this is his 5th season in Austrian Bundesliga. He has been good all the time, and has looked even better in the CL this season, but I really don’t see the world class potental like I see in Haaland.

Suvvernmanc

But but we are getting Sancho as well!
I would actually still go for Sancho as well as Haaland, even though I said 5 players is perfect. I think James could be a very good #10 for us. A couple of games against the better opposition this season he has gone a little more central and I thought it suited him in our counter attack style. His passing is very good. He doesn't lose the ball alot and obviously his pace is immense. Not sure Ole would put him there though, especially this season while our numbers are low in the 3 up top.

But I do still stand by my opinion that 5 players for the 3 positions is right and 6 is too many

Infestissumam

nah, he's pretty quick. Salzburg play a high-tempo pressing style, he wouldn't survive there if he was slow.

zenith

It'll be a phenomenal signing if we get him at 20 million. Even for a figure of up to 50 million it'll be worth a shot but surely not for the earlier reported figure of 86 million because that sounds on the ridiculous side.

Crimson King

I am sure he has to grovel and crawl through broken glass especially to Alf --- after all he career was ended by Keano. One can only assume that Alf will extract every penny from United to compensate for the loss in income from a pre-mature ending of his professional career.
Did you overlook, or just completely ignore the title of this thread?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Minamino has had a great season, and so has Hwang and Daka as well. The thing is he is 24 and this is his 5th season in Austrian Bundesliga. He has been good all the time, and has looked even better in the CL this season, but I really don’t see the world class potental like I see in Haaland.
What's a players age being 24 got to do with it? Potential? If a players good enough they usually are and they just get more consistent.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
What you guys think of having borh Haaland and Greenwood in the team?

Wont they both impede eachothers developement and match time?
I think if we get Haaland (i don't think we will) we won't go for Sancho or another RW, Greenwood will get games there.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Pretty much, at that type of fee I don't even care if we already have a starting striker, the upsides are way too big to ignore.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I think if we get Haaland (i don't think we will) we won't go for Sancho or another RW, Greenwood will get games there.
Right, if we can get Haaland for 20m, and spend the rest on 2 more midfielders, I'd be more than happy.
5 talented young attackers fighting for attacking 3 is more than enough. Our midfield needs more attention though.

Tarrou

how sure are we he's available for £20m though?

with Raiola as his agent I suppose it's quite possible he'd have negotiated that for him, especially seeing as he had offers from bigger clubs already

Infestissumam

how sure are we he's available for £20m though?

with Raiola as his agent I suppose it's quite possible he'd have negotiated that for him, especially seeing as he had offers from bigger clubs already
it's pretty believable. Most Salzburg players have buyout clauses, it's part of what makes them attractive for younger players: top-notch facilities, great development/teaching, playing time and then they let them move on without much of a fuss.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Tall and left footed so gets compared to Lukaku, good lord! He's nothing like him, for a start he can control a ball. Honestly its a ridiculous comparison and when Haaland continues banging them in at his next club and looking like a world beater those same people will look like fools. Lukaku has always been a massive donkey more akin to Benteke than the best around, Haaland however, has everything in his locker to be world class and if we can pick him up for £20 -£30 million that will be a steal!

crossy1686

career ending
Still don’t know why we’ve sold Lukaku to replace him with players just like him.
Lukaku asked to leave back in March because he wanted to move to Italy.
Solskjaer also wanted to play him as a wide right target man and he didn’t want to play anywhere but down the middle.

Wasn’t much of a choice in the matter if you ask me

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Tall and left footed so gets compared to Lukaku, good lord! He's nothing like him, for a start he can control a ball. Honestly its a ridiculous comparison and when Haaland continues banging them in at his next club and looking like a world beater those same people will look like fools. Lukaku has always been a massive donkey more akin to Benteke than the best around, Haaland however, has everything in his locker to be world class and if we can pick him up for £20 -£30 million that will be a steal!
It's a comparison in terms of style, not quality. And in terms of style: a) Lukaku really isn't all that much like Benteke and b) our manager, who is the one supposedly signing Haaland, compared Haaland to Lukaku himself. It wouldn't bode well if Ole has entirely misjudged the type of player Haaland is despite having actually worked with him.

Sp00ks11

People are genuinely comparing him to Lukaku, Haaland actually has a first touch that doesn’t bounce 5 miles away. He is also only 19 and arguably a much better finisher than Lukaku already.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Am I the only one who expects us to sign him and the lad Liverpool get from the same club ends up being better?

The club has scarred me for life :(

Infestissumam

Am I the only one who expects us to sign him and the lad Liverpool get from the same club ends up being better?

The club has scarred me for life :(
very different players at very different stages in their careers. I absolutely love Minamino, seeing him go to Liverpool sucks hard. But he's not a core piece, he's "just" a good role player. Haaland is 5 years younger and has a lot more talent than Minamino. Minamino is "just" good, Haaland can be special.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
A little bit about Mino Raiola.

I have read numerous articles, listen to interviews and talked to respectable people I know who have met him in person, and none had something bad to say

The idea that he’s some sorts of evil behind the scene figure who orchestrates transfers who only benefits him and his firm is a lazy an a wrong narrative. There are shady agents out there but to reach the heights where you represent world class players you need to have knowledge and negotiation skills to be respected and successful.

Do you honestly think that Haaland and his father consult him by accident?
My understanding from talking with those people is that he’s a good listener, warm and polite and someone who cares about his friends and clients. They speak about a intelligent man who is genuine and generous, someone who will help you in a second if he has a chance. Far away from being egoistic and sneaky.

There is no contradiction with being a good business man, a talented negotiator and caring about his clients.

The reason players like him is because he always take care of them, looking after their best interest without forgetting who pays him.

I perfectly understands why Halland Sr consults him and use his knowledge. Smart people often co operate with the best advisors they can find. That’s why I find some criticism against Raiola unfair and lazy.
This has always been obvious. Internet fans always purport to know the inner-workings of these types of things that they couldn’t be further away from. Raiola is just a football agent. No more, no less.

Status
Not open for further replies.