Erling Haaland / signs for Dortmund

Status
Not open for further replies.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Ornstein>>>Bild
I mean in this case Bild were the ones to break the release clause which now basically everyone assumes to be true. Ornstein on the other hand wrote "it is believed (by whom?) that United have been given encouragement (what does that even mean? did he smile at Solskjaer on Friday?) in an article that's not even centered on Haaland, but a watering can piece, where he offers/pretends to have inside information for the whole league. You'd think that if he actually had worthwhile and (sort of) exclusive info on such a hyped up transfer he'd write a separate article about it to highlight his ITK status and collect more clicks, instead of hiding a non-commital throwaway comment within his weekly know-it-all piece.

Within a couple of hours we had Ornstein saying his piece, a local Salzburg paper releasing a pay-walled article with the headline "Salzburg fighting to keep Haaland, but Leipzig have the best chance", we had Bild claiming he's probably bound for Germany and we had this tweet from a well respected Norwegian sports journalist :

Though to be fair one of the Dortmund Twitter ITKs claimed it was done deal on sunday and I wouldn't put it past good old Jan Aage to have taken inspiration from him.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
My heart will bleed for Martial if we sign Haaland. Poor lad, what did he ever do to deserve this? :(
I think with Martial, it's more a case of what he doesn't do.

You're heart will soon stop bleeding when we have a CF who is active for the whole 90 mins and is contributing to the team more than AM.

Raven

Anyone who thinks signing Haaland will mean the end of Martial is crazy. Football is a squad game. Those with no depth rarely win anything major.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Going by the posts on this thread, Haaland Sr and Ole are very good friends and Haaland's agent is also very good with Ole. Haaland Jr also has very good relationship with Ole.

We have good supporting points to go with "We will sign him" but there are points against us too when there are teams like Dortmund involved who have good track record with developing players and also player can play for 2-3 seasons before making bigger step.
It's not like we have a bad record with youth players either is it? This isn't Mourinho and Chelsea.

Dortmund aren't exactly miracle workers either, they've bought/stolen some highly rated talent like Dembele, Sancho and then claimed them off as their developments.

Who was their last true home grown player? Gotze? While yes they give minutes to young players, we do just as much. Dortmund have no better record than us at developing players.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It's not like we have a bad record with youth players either is it? This isn't Mourinho and Chelsea.

Dortmund aren't exactly miracle workers either, they've bought/stolen some highly rated talent like Dembele, Sancho and then claimed them off as their developments.

Who was their last true home grown player? Gotze? While yes they give minutes to young players, we do just as much. Dortmund have no better record than us at developing players.
of course we don't have bad record, just saying Dortmund have very good record in recent years whereas players have declined or didn't play at their best level at ManUtd in the last 6 years.

Also it's not just home grown players, it's about helping players to reach their potential like they did with Kagawa, Reus, Sancho, Pulisic, Dembele, Lewandowski and plenty more.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Would Haaland be a "true home grown player"?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Would Haaland be a "true home grown player"?
I'm not claiming him to be. I'm purely stating that if people had doubts (or Haaland himself) about him progressing with United, then it would be an incorrect decision.

We've given young players just as much, if not more minutes than Dortmund have. We build our own players here at United, not just buying the best young talent at 18/19 then chuck them into the team and pretend we're great at development.

Ole obviously knows the kid well already, knows, the family, he speaks both English and Norweigan so he'll settle in well.

Honestly there's way more positives to him joining United than Dortmund, other than Germany is "easier" and they're guaranteed CL.

Bestietom

I like Haaland but it's not the end of Martial or Greenwood. Competition is great, and Haaland brings more strength and aggression to the forward line.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I'm not claiming him to be. I'm purely stating that if people had doubts (or Haaland himself) about him progressing with United, then it would be an incorrect decision.

We've given young players just as much, if not more minutes than Dortmund have. We build our own players here at United, not just buying the best young talent at 18/19 then chuck them into the team and pretend we're great at development.

Ole obviously knows the kid well already, knows, the family, he speaks both English and Norweigan so he'll settle in well.

Honestly there's way more positives to him joining United than Dortmund, other than Germany is "easier" and they're guaranteed CL.
The only benefit from his advisers in moving to Dortmund, is they know he will get another move for big money down the line. With United, he either stays if he's successful or gets sold off on the cheap as he hasn't made it.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

But player development is about more than just mere minutes. Every season Dortmund help players make the jump from a small club or a young prospect role to stardom.
United's track record is more hit and miss. Rojo, Bailly, Lindelöf, Lukaku, Fred, Shaw, Blind, Depay - all recent examples reasonably young and talented players who United signed with the hopes of growing them into top players, even Martial hasn't developed as well as one would hope when paying that kind of money for a teenager.
It's just a different level of consistency.

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Isn't Werner likely to leave though?
I think there is a decent chance that Werner is on his way out in the summer. I also think that Schick was bought to replace him this summer already. It is also plausible that Leipzig will let da Cunha go in January or next summer as he does not quite seem to make the cut there. If both are leaving it might make sense for Haaland to go there bot he would probably only get regular playing time come the summer. If Haaland gets Schick's current playing time I would be mildly pissed off if I were Schick. So it does definitely make some sense for Haaland to go to Leipzig but they would have to have more outgoing players than Dortmund or United to accommodate him.

Maybe Ornstein is saying what United told him and Bild are basing their story on what s Borussia told them :)
A possible scenario is that the player wants to join us but his advisers are telling him to go elsewhere
If Dortmund were to purposely leak information it would usually be to the local Ruhrnachrichten or some years ago maybe to Freddie Röckenhaus of Süddeutsche Zeitung. Bild has not had a lot of first hand information in Dortmund for a long time. Overall I believe neither of these sources really has credible information and we have to just wait and see what happens.

Mr. Meeseeks

The only benefit from his advisers in moving to Dortmund, is they know he will get another move for big money down the line. With United, he either stays if he's successful or gets sold off on the cheap as he hasn't made it.
This would be the malevolent subtext behind the advice from Raiola who most likely would have convinced even himself that Dortmund would be the better choice for Haaland. But I think a big money move for Haaland 2-3 years down the line is exactly what his inner greedy businessman would be hoping for in the Dortmund move.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I would actually still go for Sancho as well as Haaland, even though I said 5 players is perfect. I think James could be a very good #10 for us. A couple of games against the better opposition this season he has gone a little more central and I thought it suited him in our counter attack style. His passing is very good. He doesn't lose the ball alot and obviously his pace is immense. Not sure Ole would put him there though, especially this season while our numbers are low in the 3 up top.

But I do still stand by my opinion that 5 players for the 3 positions is right and 6 is too many
I agree. 5 is just about right. With 6 you're doing someone an injustice and their interest is compromised. And I'd gate hate for that to happen to Greenwood IN particular. For me he's absolutely ready to be that second choice (initially) forward who brings a spark to the team. That's why Sancho is still ImO the priority signing. His technical ability is off the charts. Haaland looks good but I don't have the same level of faith in his talent and like I said 6 would be messy. Unless we're done with Martial and I don't think we should be or Greenwood is going in loan and he shouldn't be, one attacker is all we can add IMO.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Am I the only one who expects us to sign him and the lad Liverpool get from the same club ends up being better?

The club has scarred me for life :(
Wouldn't be surprised. He looks very good and Liverpool are miles better coached. Wijnaldum often impresses more than Pogba which says everything. On the other hand Minamino does look lightweight and could end up a Lallana type player for them which I'd be fine with. Il admit in the clips he appears to have a lot ability

Judas

Open to offers
Haaland would only be the end of Martial if Martial chooses it to be, if he sulks and decides he wants to move elsewhere then fair enough. You'd hope it would spur him on, but I have major doubts.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Haaland would only be the end of Martial if Martial chooses it to be, if he sulks and decides he wants to move elsewhere then fair enough. You'd hope it would spur him on, but I have major doubts.
I know what you mean. He certainly doesn't come across as the type to dig in when the going gets tough, but I might be being hard on him.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Not sure if its been mention but Haaland is as fast as Daniel James. His been clocked to 36 km/h and as an example Gareth Bale and Kylian Mbappé has been clocked to 37 km/h.
Top speed matters very little in football, as you very rarely run in a straight line long enough to ever reach it. What matters is acceleration.

Thiagoal

What if he doesn't make it at Dortmund? Maybe getting that big move now will pay off more in the long run....no one knows what the future holds!

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
What if he doesn't make it at Dortmund? Maybe getting that big move now will pay off more in the long run....no one knows what the future holds!
Yeah, of course there's that worry as well, but there's not upside from an agents perspective in advising them to go to United straight away.

RedDevilRoshi

Seems like Haaland wants to come to Utd but Raiola is trying to persuade him to join Dortmund.

I guess we will see what happens next month.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Aha you've answered it for me! I thought opposite. Thank god in that case as he seems quite sure on the Dortmund link.
He's awful. I'd put more stock into what our Norwegian Caf members say over him tbh.

Paul InceUlt

Anyone else who interpreted Ole’s remarks on what Haaland wants to do and what he’s going to do as if he’s made a decision that’s based on what he ought(Raiola) to do, not what he really wants? Maybe I’m being a bit paranoid here....

theklr

Anyone else who interpreted Ole’s remarks on what Haaland wants to do and what he’s going to do as if he’s made a decision that’s based on what he ought(Raiola) to do, not what he really wants? Maybe I’m being a bit paranoid here....
Yes, you are. It could just as easily been that they are the same thing.

There is no way to interpret anything else than that Ole knows where Haaland is going.

Dolf

Dortmund would be a great choice. The only striker they have is Alcacer. He will get the playing time and development he needs before making the final step to one of the big clubs.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Its a extremely open to interpretation response from Ole. Almost cruelly so for us that would love to see this player sign for us.

United are generally very quiet on any transfer. Just the fact that we got any response on this makes me feel quite confident that we've got him. Raiola is obviously going to want him to make a move before the big move, since he's likely to spend a large portion of his career here if he comes, but its impossible to predict how much influence he will have on a decision.

This just feels like such a perfect fit. I'll be really disappointed if he goes elsewhere.

troylocker

Top speed matters very little in football, as you very rarely run in a straight line long enough to ever reach it. What matters is acceleration.
He is very explosive and has superb acceleration.

peridigm

I read your post about 6 times and I genuinely don't know what you're trying to convey. Can you paraphrase please?

Paul InceUlt

Yes, you are. It could just as easily been that they are the same thing.

There is no way to interpret anything else than that Ole knows where Haaland is going.
Just don’t understand why he separated the «wants» and the «will», but as you say there’s no way knowing. Really want this to happen..

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Not in favour of this deal. Sancho is the next forward we should be going after. Signing a 19 year old back up striker when we already have an 18 year old back up striker, one who is scoring goals when given the chance, makes little sense to me. 3 strikers after one spot is not an ideal scenario. Yes, Greenwood can play on the right, but you would hope that is only temporary , however, unless Haaland is totally terrible, I don’t think it possibly can be. And I think Greenwood is a bigger talent than Haaland personally, or as big a talent anyway.

dev1l

I think there is a decent chance that Werner is on his way out in the summer. I also think that Schick was bought to replace him this summer already. It is also plausible that Leipzig will let da Cunha go in January or next summer as he does not quite seem to make the cut there. If both are leaving it might make sense for Haaland to go there bot he would probably only get regular playing time come the summer. If Haaland gets Schick's current playing time I would be mildly pissed off if I were Schick. So it does definitely make some sense for Haaland to go to Leipzig but they would have to have more outgoing players than Dortmund or United to accommodate him.

If Dortmund were to purposely leak information it would usually be to the local Ruhrnachrichten or some years ago maybe to Freddie Röckenhaus of Süddeutsche Zeitung. Bild has not had a lot of first hand information in Dortmund for a long time. Overall I believe neither of these sources really has credible information and we have to just wait and see what happens.
Ornstein usually has a good track record with United transfers, no?

Well, Fjørtoft has been friends with both Solskjær and daddy Haaland for 25 years, he has played in, and been a pundit for both German and English football, and is well connected in both countries, so he might know a bit more than the average journalist.

Status
Not open for further replies.