Erling Haaland / signs for Dortmund

Status
Not open for further replies.

swred

Obviously i'd love it if Haaland came to Utd, but i can see why he would choose Dortmund.

Even if he only went for a couple of seasons, Raiola would then get an even bigger money move for him to Utd (or any other big European club) if he performs well.

However, there is of course the flip side that we're offering Raiola a tasty 'agents fee' to have him now?

Zed 101

Not in favour of this deal. Sancho is the next forward we should be going after. Signing a 19 year old back up striker when we already have an 18 year old back up striker, one who is scoring goals when given the chance, makes little sense to me. 3 strikers after one spot is not an ideal scenario. Yes, Greenwood can play on the right, but you would hope that is only temporary , however, unless Haaland is totally terrible, I don’t think it possibly can be. And I think Greenwood is a bigger talent than Haaland personally, or as big a talent anyway.
The obvious casualty is Martial, too lazy and inconsistent, Haaland or no Haaland I cannot see Martial retaining his 1st choice status for many more months

peridigm

Not in favour of this deal. Sancho is the next forward we should be going after. Signing a 19 year old back up striker when we already have an 18 year old back up striker, one who is scoring goals when given the chance, makes little sense to me. 3 strikers after one spot is not an ideal scenario. Yes, Greenwood can play on the right, but you would hope that is only temporary , however, unless Haaland is totally terrible, I don’t think it possibly can be. And I think Greenwood is a bigger talent than Haaland personally, or as big a talent anyway.
Why can't we go for both? I wouldn't worry about Greenwood but we can't accept that Martial will be our first choice for the next few years. He just doesn't have the consistency to be first choice striker for us and the only reason he is now is because we have no other obvious first choice. If Greenwood continues getting his chances and scoring when he does, I can honestly see him displacing Martial very soon. We're a club in rebuild and when you can improve on a position you do.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The obvious casualty is Martial, too lazy and inconsistent, Haaland or no Haaland I cannot see Martial retaining his 1st choice status for many more months
So if he is not first choice, what is he? Second choice? That still leaves one teenage striker looking for scraps? Or are they both better than him, and he’ll be third choice? Then what, we sell him, and have two teenage strikers that’s it?

Judas

Open to offers
Seems weird to call Haaland a back up striker when our main striker is Martial, who really on his output should be a backup striker.

If we go into next season with Martial as our main striker it would be baffling, unless of course the second half of the season it finally clicks for him, thats unlikely though.

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Ornstein usually has a good track record with United transfers, no?
I can't comment on that as I know very little about the british media landscape. I just wanted to weigh in on the notion of Dortmund leaking information to Bild since I would assume that if they were to do anything of the sort it would be to a different news outlet. I am actually advocating against Bild being a credible source here so that should be good news for you guys ;)

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Seems weird to call Haaland a back up striker when our main striker is Martial, who really on his output should be a backup striker.

If we go into next season with Martial as our main striker it would be baffling, unless of course the second half of the season it finally clicks for him, thats unlikely though.
Martial is so talented but at times can’t be bothered to break sweat to cover or chase.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Is Fjortoft reliable?
He works regularly on German football TV.

He probably does hear snippets and news from people in the clubs - we know Dortmund are interested so that isn't a shock.

When the final decision comes down to it, I doubt anybody will know before the people closest to the clubs (unless it's leaked).

Zed 101

So if he is not first choice, what is he? Second choice? That still leaves one teenage striker looking for scraps? Or are they both better than him, and he’ll be third choice? Then what, we sell him, and have two teenage strikers that’s it?
I would sell or trade off Martial, he is too much of a luxury, but he will do until the end of the season, by that time if we sign him hopefully Haaland will have shown his metal, can review at the end of the season, but right now players signing options are scarce, seems like Haaland will move in January to take a chance seems like a no brainer, it is certainly not going to weaken our team, whereas going the rest of the season with Martial no.1 and Greenwood no.2 is begging for disappointment IMO

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
For me if this is a thing, it's probably already sorted.

cyberman

I mean in this case Bild were the ones to break the release clause which now basically everyone assumes to be true. Ornstein on the other hand wrote "it is believed (by whom?) that United have been given encouragement (what does that even mean? did he smile at Solskjaer on Friday?) in an article that's not even centered on Haaland, but a watering can piece, where he offers/pretends to have inside information for the whole league. You'd think that if he actually had worthwhile and (sort of) exclusive info on such a hyped up transfer he'd write a separate article about it to highlight his ITK status and collect more clicks, instead of hiding a non-commital throwaway comment within his weekly know-it-all piece.

Within a couple of hours we had Ornstein saying his piece, a local Salzburg paper releasing a pay-walled article with the headline "Salzburg fighting to keep Haaland, but Leipzig have the best chance", we had Bild claiming he's probably bound for Germany and we had this tweet from a well respected Norwegian sports journalist :

Though to be fair one of the Dortmund Twitter ITKs claimed it was done deal on sunday and I wouldn't put it past good old Jan Aage to have taken inspiration from him.
Do Dortmund know how to develop young players? They seem to flop as they age?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Anyone else who interpreted Ole’s remarks on what Haaland wants to do and what he’s going to do as if he’s made a decision that’s based on what he ought(Raiola) to do, not what he really wants? Maybe I’m being a bit paranoid here....
Ole's quotes sound like we're definitely not getting him.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

I feel pretty certain we won't go into next season with Martial as first choice striker.

dev1l

I can't comment on that as I know very little about the british media landscape. I just wanted to weigh in on the notion of Dortmund leaking information to Bild since I would assume that if they were to do anything of the sort it would be to a different news outlet. I am actually advocating against Bild being a credible source here so that should be good news for you guys ;)
Maybe it s Raiola then leaking info...:)

EngimaMK

Always baffled by comments like this. Very different players, different positions. Also very unlikely sancho will come here now... He has his pick of clubs in world football. Also, let's say we hope for sancho, does that mean we should turn down opportunies to sign other players? Or do NOTHING until we either sign Sancho or someone else does?

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Maybe it s Raiola then leaking info...:)
Entirely possible, I am not claiming Bild don't have any information, I just don't assume that any Dortmund representative leaked information to them.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Do Dortmund know how to develop young players? They seem to flop as they age?
It's hardly Dortmund's fault that some players (and the clubs who buy them) seem to believe they are better than they actually are. Or that some players join clubs that don't fit them.

If a player leaves the club it's up to him to pick a suitable new home and make it work there.

theklr

Sportwitness is now quoting a somewhat credible salzburg newspaper, saying the Solskjær trip seems unsuccessful because Haaland is most likely going to Bundesliga.

Cant seem to link it.

poleglass red

How reliable are SW though?
Not sure but that article is woeful. He "probably" won't go to Utd as he might go to Red Bull Leipzig, but then again he might go to Dortmund but he could also stay at RB Salzburg is the general jist of that article

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Always baffled by comments like this. Very different players, different positions. Also very unlikely sancho will come here now... He has his pick of clubs in world football. Also, let's say we hope for sancho, does that mean we should turn down opportunies to sign other players? Or do NOTHING until we either sign Sancho or someone else does?
Allow me to unbaffle you. They are different players, so what? They are both strikers, of which we play one, whom they would, I imagine, both like to be. Despite whatever you have seen in the Austrian league, both players are teenagers and require games to develop into the full version of themselves. With one senior striker (despite his unpopularity on Redcafe at the moment), they will likely play the role of understudy. Both are top talents, and should be the sole understudy.

Now, Jadon Sancho. He has his pick of clubs. Okay, so what? None of us are qualified to say he is ‘very unlikely’ to come here. Of those who may perhaps know something, the story is not that we are the least likely option at all.

Lastly, because we hope for Sancho does not mean we should turn down opportunities to turn down other players. What would be sensible is if we cannot get Sancho, we go for another player who can offer a similar contribution to Sancho. Basically, if we have a first choice winger we want, get the second choice one if we can’t get him.

Aguero/Jesus = Iheanacho leaving.
Vardy/Iheanacho = Slimani leaving.

We need two strikers. We also have Rashford who, in an emergency, can move across and play as a 9. We do not need more than two. There is no indication that Ole Solskjaer shares this week’s Redcafe position on Martial. The fans may want him sold, yet all indication is he is an important player. I suspect Haaland will be given the chance to overtake him as a rotation option/deputy. Because he will be offered that chance, Greenwood will not. Do you guys expect us to play a different 9 every game for 5 months or something? It won’t happen. Martial will start most games. And if he doesn’t, he will come off the bench in them. He’s not going to suddenly be ostracised by Ole. Just let Greenwood play when Martial doesn’t, and if he can overtake him by end of the season, great.

LuckyScout78

Definitive a younger version of Lukaku. Lukaku just gain too much weight getting older. Same type of player and prefer foot.

If United buy him. I think and suggest United and Ole has to drop the nr.10 and go for 2 strikers up front. Why?
Because you only use the nr.10 role. Only you have the players and qualities of Cantona, Zidane, Platini, Kaka and Dele Alli. If not, better go for 2 nature really good strikers up front.

Example:

Sancho/James - McTom - Pobga/Kristoffer Olsson - Rashford + Greenwood/Haaland - Martial/Rashford.

Instead Ole is using Lindard, Mata and Perreira in that role. You can see why United are struggling.

Rashford, Martial, Greenwood and Haaland should be 4 good enough CF options in the future.

But i will just remind the Ole and club. Have and buy another really good nr.8, beside Pobga as the creative cm. If not even Messi will struggle in this team without Pobga and a Kristoffer Olsson level above. Not talk about Haaland will struggle. Because without noone feeding you with the trough passes and build up the attack from the deep, the top service. How will you score?United without Pogba problem this season. The lack of top qualities from the deep cm areas.

dev1l

Re. : Ole s comment " the player know where he s going to".
Some months ago a Barcelona official said the same thing about DeLigt when there was still lot of speculation about the player.

Snafu17

You know there's a TW window close by when the "Are SW reliable?" questions start to pop up again. Like the sparrows of transfer windows.

stevoc

I mean he hasn't been pulling up trees but given it's his first season back as a striker and he's been injured for a period then i think 6 goals from 12-13 starts is pretty good.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I mean he hasn't been pulling up trees but given it's his first season back as a striker and he's been injured for a period then i think 6 goals from 12-13 starts is pretty good.
Yeah but he's also inconsistent in performances and always has been. I don't think he's one we can rely on over the course of a season when you consider his injuries on top.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Every country has their own journalist saying he's close to join them.

Let's just see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.