Erling Haaland / signs for Dortmund

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suedesi

But player development is about more than just mere minutes. Every season Dortmund help players make the jump from a small club or a young prospect role to stardom.
United's track record is more hit and miss. Rojo, Bailly, Lindelöf, Lukaku, Fred, Shaw, Blind, Depay - all recent examples reasonably young and talented players who United signed with the hopes of growing them into top players, even Martial hasn't developed as well as one would hope when paying that kind of money for a teenager.
It's just a different level of consistency.
Nuri Sahin, Shinji Kagawa, Mkhitaryan, Dembele, Emre Mor, Ginter, Alexander Isak show that Borussia's 'star transfers' lack something at the highest levels. Looking good for Dortmund and looking good for Real M, Man Utd, Bayern, Barcelona are different things completely.

If Haaland believes he's the real deal, he should skip the intermediate step completely and join United. He'll play for a bigger club, earn more and work under a coach he likes and trusts.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I like him and we need depth but what if we sign him?
Lw Rashford
Rw James, Greenwood
St Martial and Haaland

Will we go for Sancho then? 6 players for 3 positions looks great in FM but in reality...

Traub

Lw Rashford
Rw James, Greenwood
St Martial and Haaland

Will we go for Sancho then? 6 players for 3 positions looks great in FM but in reality...
That's an extremely young and inexperience front 5 or 6 depending on whether you include Sancho. Great potential, but those players will take a good 2-3 seasons before hitting their stride.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Lw Rashford
Rw James, Greenwood
St Martial and Haaland

I don't think we're getting Sancho anyway tbh. But it'd be an either or scenario is my guess. Greenwood and James rotate on the right, Rashford has the left wing his, and then Martial and Haaland would fight it out for the middle. All are very versatile and can play in more than just the 1 position anyway, apart from Haaland who is just a classic #9, so I think it'd be a really good balance. Obviously all young, but wouldn't be crowded with them 5 and would ensure we have cover no matter what. If we get Sancho and no Haaland, then I'd see it as Greenwood fighting it out with Martial, James squad player for the wing/bench option and that's that (with only Martial/Greenwood as the 2 strikers, which I wouldn't be too keen on).

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Dortmund bound for sure. If he was coming here Ole wouldn't have said he's made his mind up about his next move. He'd have said nothing. Looks like we got there late yet again.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Nuri Sahin, Shinji Kagawa, Mkhitaryan, Dembele, Emre Mor, Ginter, Alexander Isak show that Borussia's 'star transfers' lack something at the highest levels. Looking good for Dortmund and looking good for Real M, Man Utd, Bayern, Barcelona are different things completely.

If Haaland believes he's the real deal, he should skip the intermediate step completely and join United. He'll play for a bigger club, earn more and work under a coach he likes and trusts.

That list is kind of all over the place. Star transfers by what metric? By how much they were sold for? By how much they were signed for?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Dortmund bound for sure. If he was coming here Ole wouldn't have said he's made his mind up about his next move. He'd have said nothing. Looks like we got there late yet again.
If he wasn't encouraged by us Ole would have shut down any interest and said we aren't pursuing him. The club has briefed the media accordingly before (see De Ligt).

That hasn't happened, yet.

Dve

Lw Rashford
Rw James, Greenwood
St Martial and Haaland

There should be 6, and adding Sancho in the summer would be fantastic. It´s a long season, suddenly 2-3 attackers are out injured at the same time, or out of form.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
His character and personality is worth 20mil on it’s own

Skåre Willoch

For the first time in my life, I'm kind of ITK. I know a few people involved with the Norwegian NT (both the men's team, as well as U21 and U19). Some of them have worked with him personally.
They're all sure he's going to United.

Whether they actually know anything, or are just picking up on rumours themselves, I'm not sure. But they believe he'll call Old Trafford his home come january.

Suedesi

That list is kind of all over the place. Star transfers by what metric? By how much they were sold for? By how much they were signed for?
These are Dortmund ‘stars’ that failed to make the transition at bigger clubs. My point is signing for Dortmund as a stepping stone doesn’t necessarily guarantee he will succeed at bigger clubs.

RedDevilRoshi

For the first time in my life, I'm kind of ITK. I know a few people involved with the Norwegian NT (both the men's team, as well as U21 and U19). Some of them have worked with him personally.

Whether they actually know anything, or are just picking up on rumours themselves, I'm not sure. But they believe he'll call Old Trafford his home come january.
I hope your right mate.

I personally think Haaland want to come to Utd but Raiola & his representatives want him to join Dortmund or even Leipzig.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
His character and personality is worth 20mil on it’s own
Which part(s)? His rap skills? Or sleeping with all his hat trick balls in his bed and calling those his girlfriends? What about waking up to the Champions League anthem every morning?

Dve

I hope your right mate.

I personally think Haaland want to come to Utd but Raiola & his representatives want him to join Dortmund or even Leipzig.
His representative, I believe, is his father. Raiola is just an adviser. I think it´s up to Haaland, really.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
These are Dortmund ‘stars’ that failed to make the transition at bigger clubs. My point is signing for Dortmund as a stepping stone doesn’t necessarily guarantee he will succeed at bigger clubs.
Emre Mor went to Celta de Vigo
Ginter went to Gladbach
Isak went to San Sebastian

Do you consider these clubs bigger than Dortmund?

Kagawa (signed out of Japan's second division btw) and Mkhitaryan went to a very much dysfunctional United side, I raised my concerns about both these moves before they played their first game for the club. They visibly propped up by Dortmund's attacking football. You want to blame the selling club for players making the wrong choice?

Dembele? Do you think Halaand looks at him and thinks: "hopefully I won't end up like him, getting bought for €150m, earning a top player's salary"? It's not Dortmund's fault that he is unprofessional and perhaps doesn't entirely fit Barca's football.

Genuine top players like Lewandowski, Hummels, Aubameyang and Gündogan did well at their next club. It's really up to the player to find a new home that suits them.

I don't really see your point here. Football transfers are always a bit speculative and thus every club has their share of players who didn't develop as well as hoped, Dortmund in particular with German players. I don't think anyone would deny that. But relatively speaking they are excelling when it comes to turning huge profits on young attacking players.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Quite a few ITKs have reported this.
It was spoken about as common knowledge on Sunday Supplement... they were asking the lady journo whose spent time getting to know everyone in Salzburg why the release clause are so low and she said they do it because they don’t want to prohibit players that they develop from moving. But for Haaland they prefer he stays an extra season or goes to Germany, apparently they build very good relationships with the players that they develop and try to advise on the next step that they think is best.

Pennywise

Off to Leipzig according to that Kevin Palmer. Not sure if he's a slaver or not

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It was spoken about as common knowledge on Sunday Supplement... they were asking the lady journo whose spent time getting to know everyone in Salzburg why the release clause are so low and she said they do it because they don’t want to prohibit players that they develop from moving. But for Haaland they prefer he stays an extra season or goes to Germany, apparently they build very good relationships with the players that they develop and try to advise on the next step that they think is best.
Yeah which is why Haaland is a tricky one to call.

You have Ole who has flown out to persuade him, throwing his previous management of the player as weight. Then you have his current club and his agent who would prefer a move to their partner club in Leipzig, or even Dortmund.

So when Ole says he's made his decision it sounds positive as he'd otherwise say something like "we aren't pursuing Haaland" and be blunt.

But he does follow it with "I don't give advice to other teams players" which sounds quite distant.

So basically, very cryptic!

MrVolley

Haaland can play in the Champions league this season AND the next if he joins another club. Why would he give this up to join us? It's not exactly a progressive move.

He has an opportunity to join more currently successful clubs. Should his form dip, that opportunity might not be around later.

I hope we get our transfer targets but starry eyed wishful thinking serves no useful purpose, and usually leads to disappointment.

Be realistic with expectations, and be pleasantly surprised from time to time.

Grib

Haaland can play in the Champions league this season AND the next if he joins another club. Why would he give this up to join us? It's not exactly a progressive move.

He has an opportunity to join more currently successful clubs. Should his form dip, that opportunity might not be around later.

I hope we get our transfer targets but starry eyed wishful thinking serves no useful purpose, and usually leads to disappointment.

Be realistic with expectations, and be pleasantly surprised from time to time.
Don't think you can play for two teams in cl during the same season

Never mind looks like they're phasing it out and he could play this season's still

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
We're Manchester United, not scunthorpe United. Oddly enough that still carries some weight in the football world even if it doesn't with our more neurotic fans on redcafe

Aresma7

Then so be it, the stories about how Martial needs all love and support in the world are nonsense. No player has a nailed starting place, the myths about how Martial went south because Lukaku took his number, pure bullshit if another player takes his place is because he's best than him.
Wtf are you trying to say here? First of all it was Zlatan who took martials number. Best than him? Lukaku is better than Martial? Is that what you are saying!?

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
“Knows why he wants to do, knows what he has to do.” Obligation to move to Liepzig..?

r0663664

Worships Man City
Everyone seems to Dortmund and RB are smaller clubs and Utd that he has big shoe to fill. Is everyone drunk? Dortmund and RB are in champion league and top 4 in the German league whereas we are lying 6th playing in Europa league with no champion league football in sight for next season. Yes, Utd has one of the biggest fans base globally but in term of football, we are falling far behind. He should be coming here and move on to a bigger club later on instead like PSG, Real, Barcelona, Juventus, Bayern and etc.

Runaway Sue

Everyone seems to Dortmund and RB are smaller clubs and Utd that he has big shoe to fill. Is everyone drunk? Dortmund and RB are in champion league and top 4 in the German league whereas we are lying 6th playing in Europa league with no champion league football in sight for next season. Yes, Utd has one of the biggest fans base globally but in term of football, we are falling far behind. He should be coming here and move on to a bigger club later on instead like PSG, Real, Barcelona, Juventus, Bayern and etc.
What a stupid post. You think we will be out of the champions league forever?
And how do you define "big" club? You have to be in the cl atm to be concidered a big club?
Maybe im just feeding a troll now.

USREDEVIL

You're right. RB is big league. We're minnows. :houllier:

Try to think a bit more long term than that. You can do it....concentrate...focus!

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

I believe you but I think the only people that really know what's going on is Haaland and senior. I doubt any would gossip to the teammates.

Skåre Willoch

I believe you but I think the only people that really know what's going on is Haaland and senior. I doubt any would gossip to the teammates.
This isn't coming from teammates, though. This is coming from senior members of staff involved with the national team even back in his father's playing days.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Doubt we are signing him. RBL seems the most likely move

*Riley*

I'm with the 'he isn't coming' clan.

Ole looked/sounded as though he knew it. I honestly believe if he was coming, Ole would have shot it down and waited for the big reveal.

Just wish the move would happen already so we all can move on!

Status
Not open for further replies.