g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Erling Haaland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaos

i think you'll start seeing more and more of it with the bigger players especially if they don't get the contracts that they want. I do believe it will be more about the foreign player who is playing outside his country where this will become a trend. Maybe also the guys who have shown to develop more and be a bit more ambitious than the club they are playing for at the time.
I think its more down to the big clubs being more financially constrained, and not being able to compete with the oil clubs inflating transfer fees every year. Bayern have basically been doing business this way for years and its worked out well for them, so not surprised to see the likes of Madrid at it too now. If they have the pull of being a prestigious powerhouse in football, they can probably convince players to see their contract out to spare them having to pay big transfer fees.

jesperjaap

Lewandoswki for £100m at this stage in his career though a great player still is just folly for absolutely any side in the world. Haaland I really dont see coming here and personally there are a few red flags on him anyway as good a plyer as he is already in terms of goal scoring and strength.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I think its more down to the big clubs being more financially constrained, and not being able to compete with the oil clubs inflating transfer fees every year. Bayern have basically been doing business this way for years and its worked out well for them, so not surprised to see the likes of Madrid at it too now. If they have the pull of being a prestigious powerhouse in football, they can probably convince players to see their contract out to spare them having to pay big transfer fees.
I personally believe more players are aware that they can get reward more financially by running down their contracts, rather than let the clubs that own their registration make money by "selling" them. Flamini was very good at it. He always ran down his contract and left for free. It took the players 25 years to figure that out since Bosman ruling in 1995.

Kaos

I personally believe more players are aware that they can get reward more financially by running down their contracts, rather than let the clubs that own their registration makes money by "selling" them. Flamini was very good at it. He always ran down his contract and left for free. It took the players 25 years to figure that out since Bosman ruling in 1995.
The danger of running down your contract is it takes one bad season and you're suddenly yesterday's news, meaning that even the lucrative contract your club had originally offered is no longer on the table. I can see why players sign long term contracts at their existing clubs to cement their future and wealth. Mind you, if you're an Mbappe or Benzema then you'd have no shortage of suitors regardless, but I still feel like its risky to simply run it down, assuming there will be a queue of clubs tripping over each other to offer you the best possible deal.

MadMike

I wasn't suggesting he could be gotten on a free, but perhaps Bayern could be tempted out of respect for his servitude to the club to leave for a respectable fee. Unlikely I know, but if the player is vocal about wanting a new challenge then they could possibly entertain it. Currently they're valuing him at around £100million (which is absurd given his age), but perhaps a smaller albeit respectable bid, coupled to their club legend's sincere wishes to have one last go at a big league might tempt them to oblige his wishes.

I was going to bring up Schweinsteiger as an example of when the club respected one of their legend's wishes to leave, but in hindsight I best not :lol:
What is a respectable fee? Paying transfer fees for 34 year olds is pissing money down the sink.

They signed him for nothing as a free agent from BVB and he's given them all his best years (8 to be precise, including the this season) . Expecting a fee for him at 34 if he's wishing to leave a year earlier, is downright disrespectful to the player and his service to the club and only mugs would pay it.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
The danger of running down your contract is it takes one bad season and you're suddenly yesterday's news, meaning that even the lucrative contract your club had originally offered is no longer on the table. I can see why players sign long term contracts at their existing clubs to cement their future and wealth. Mind you, if you're an Mbappe or Benzema then you'd have no shortage of suitors regardless, but I still feel like its risky to simply run it down, assuming there will be a queue of clubs tripping over each other to offer you the best possible deal.
just like any other job out there, if you don't perform you will be fired. You are an outstanding performer, companies are fighting to get your signature offer high wages. it is up to the player if he is willing to take the risk.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
The question is, if Haaland insist a 4 year contract with another 70million release clause can be activated in the 3rd year, will Man Utd still be interested in his service?

Kaos

The question is, if Haaland insist a 4 year contract with another 70million release clause can be activated in the 3rd year, will Man Utd still be interested in his service?
I don't think any of the big clubs will accept a release clause that small in the contract. 70million will be nothing for a player like Haaland in 4 years, heck its borderline a bargain for him next season when his release clause comes into effect.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I don't think any of the big clubs will accept a release clause that small in the contract. 70million will be nothing for a player like Haaland in 4 years, heck its borderline a bargain for him next season when his release clause comes into effect.
But the club won't lose any money in transfer fee if he decides to leave in his 3rd year? You still get 2 years of service out of him, and have a chance convince him to renew. What's the difference signing Cavani or Benzema for free for 2 year of service? Or still thinking about making money from player transfer?

Kaos

But the club won't lose any money in transfer fee if he decides to leave in his 3rd year? You still get 2 years of service out of him, and have a chance convince him to renew. What's the difference signing Cavani or Benzema for free for 2 year of service? Or still thinking about making money from player transfer?
Because it disrupts the squad planning for the future and makes it unpredictable, especially with signing other players. Imagine building a side around Haaland, only for him to decide he wants a new challenge after 3 years, at which point you're scuppering to replace him. With Cavani we knew we were getting 1-2 seasons of him at best, so could plan accordingly - either by grooming Greenwood to replace him or having a striker lined up next season which I'm sure is what the club is doing. Clubs don't like uncertainty.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Because it disrupts the squad planning for the future and makes it unpredictable, especially with signing other players. Imagine building a side around Haaland, only for him to decide he wants a new challenge after 3 years, at which point you're scuppering to replace him. With Cavani we knew we were getting 1-2 seasons of him at best, so could plan accordingly - either by grooming Greenwood to replace him or having a striker lined up next season which I'm sure is what the club is doing. Clubs don't like uncertainty.
For a 4 year contract the club needs to renegotiate with the player for renewal in the 3rd year anyway. If the player refuse to renew the club needs to sell him. what's the difference?

Kaos

For a 4 year contract the club needs to renegotiate with the player for renewal in the 3rd year anyway. If the player refuse to renew the club needs to sell him. what's the difference?
The difference is the club still has control over the fee they'd demand. Yes they'd risk the player leaving on a free, but assuming its a world class player then some clubs might want to avoid the competition of securing the player's signature and simply bid big. Look at how Chelsea were supposedly willing to offer £150million for Haaland this summer despite his release clause of half that amount coming into effect next season.

There's also the pride element of bigger clubs not wanting to put smaller release clauses on their players. United refused to sign Regulon because of Madrid's insistence on a modest buyback clause - granted its madness to compare the two players, but still exemplifies the principles some clubs will employ when signing players and negotiating contracts.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
The difference is the club still has control over the fee they'd demand. Yes they'd risk the player leaving on a free, but assuming its a world class player then some clubs might want to avoid the competition of securing the player's signature and simply bid big. Look at how Chelsea were supposedly willing to offer £150million for Haaland this summer despite his release clause of half that amount coming into effect next season.

There's also the pride element of bigger clubs not wanting to put smaller release clauses on their players. United refused to sign Regulon because of Madrid's insistence on a modest buyback clause - granted its madness to compare the two players, but still exemplifies the principles some clubs will employ when signing players and negotiating contracts.
No wonder EPL clubs are still paying millions in player transfer fee. It will take them a while to realize and accept the reality of the "employment" market in football. That is only my opinion of course. We will see how it goes next couple years.

In a normal world how does a company keep hold his best employee? By paying them big wages and make them feel happy staying.

roseguy64

It did sound like it, but from I could gather listening to the Villa CEO, it could possibly have been that fabled 'gentleman's agreement' as well. It was a great offer, for both player and club.

On another note, Madrid does not attract them because of prestige. They pay more and promise more. That's it, that's all there is to it.
Nah it was definitely something written into his contract

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
I thought they were skint hence why they were so desperate for the super league? something doesn’t quite add up.
Florentino has been saving like crazy for the biggest part of the last 5 years, selling players like Achraf, Reguilon, Oscar Rodriguez, Varane, Odegaard for big profit in the last 2, generating 200 million euros, so it makes sense he has the financial muscle to make big signings at this point in time. His speech during the Super League announcement was very badly interpreted. It was mostly other clubs he was thinking about, not Real Madrid.

My impression since a few weeks is he will sign Mbappe in a few days and Haaland in 2022. Let us see if it happens.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Now that I think about it, what's to prevent him from having yet another release clause in his new team's contract? As far as I know, those don't exist in English football.
They clearly do exist.
I wasn't suggesting he could be gotten on a free, but perhaps Bayern could be tempted out of respect for his servitude to the club to leave for a respectable fee. Unlikely I know, but if the player is vocal about wanting a new challenge then they could possibly entertain it. Currently they're valuing him at around £100million (which is absurd given his age), but perhaps a smaller albeit respectable bid, coupled to their club legend's sincere wishes to have one last go at a big league might tempt them to oblige his wishes.

I was going to bring up Schweinsteiger as an example of when the club respected one of their legend's wishes to leave, but in hindsight I best not :lol:
We indeed tend to let players leave on favourable conditions if they did us great service, and can be replaced. Latter part being important though. So in the case of Lewnadowski, the only way I see that happening is if indeed Haaland can be signed as a successor. And I'm rather sceptical of our chances to realize that..
If we don't get Haaland, in lack of any other top strikers in world football we'd surely be inclined to keep Lewa around for as long as possible.

AttackAttackAttack

Florentino has been saving like crazy for the biggest part of the last 5 years, selling players like Achraf, Reguilon, Oscar Rodriguez, Varane, Odegaard for big profit in the last 2, generating 200 million euros, so it makes sense he has the financial muscle to make big signings at this point in time. His speech during the Super League announcement was very badly interpreted. It was mostly other clubs he was thinking about, not Real Madrid.

My impression since a few weeks is he will sign Mbappe in a few days and Haaland in 2022. Let us see if it happens.
I think Mbappe is destined for real Madrid but not this year. How do you pass up a chance to play with Messi for a year and be favorites to win the champions league?

Idxomer

If we do end up missing out on Haaland, who do you think we'll go for instead? Attempt another Cavani like signing with Lewandowski? Extend Cavani himself for an additional year? (Assuming he kills it this season). Kane if he's still at Spuds? Dare I say Mbappe even?
We arguably have one of the most promising players in the world in the same position. I do think it would be a bit pointless getting another old experienced striker after Cavani.

If we can't land Haaland, we would be better off putting all of our trust in Greenwood and focus more on upgrading the midfield.

Tarrou

the Madrid story is quite believable to be honest

Chelsea and City both going for big name strikers this summer knowing Haaland is available next summer does suggest they know his mind is made up

UncleBob

the Madrid story is quite believable to be honest

Chelsea and City both going for big name strikers this summer knowing Haaland is available next summer does suggest they know his mind is made up
:lol:

gorky_utd

Not sure Mbappe wants another top scorer in the team. I believe the whole point of him moving is that he wants to be the face of the new madrid era. Haaland playing with Mbappe will definitely shift some attention away from him.

UncleBob

why on earth is that funny?
It's just the lack of logic.

The story about Real Madrid doesn't make sense on any level. He might still feck off to Madrid, but it makes no sense for anyone but Dortmund that a deal has been agreed now. It's not going to make more sense because of something completely different.

Chelsea need a striker now, Haaland isn't on the market now. Manchester City want a striker now, Haaland isn't on the market now. In terms of City, there's also the question about what type of striker they are actually interested in, there's plenty that suggests Kane is much easier to build this City team around than Haaland.

Red4Ever

Cork; home of Cantwell, Irwin, Keane and Vidic-wel

The story about Real Madrid doesn't make sense on any level. He might still feck off to Madrid, but it makes no sense for anyone but Dortmund that a deal has been agreed now. It's not going to make more sense because of something completely different.

Chelsea need a striker now, Haaland isn't on the market now. Manchester City want a striker now, Haaland isn't on the market now. In terms of City, there's also the question about what type of striker they are actually interested in, there's plenty that suggests Kane is much easier to build this City team around than Haaland.
Chelsea just bought Lukaku

regardless United should move mountains ri try & get this guy. Will be as good as any striker

Tarrou

of course it's logical

Chelsea just bought a shit version of Haaland, and actually bid for Haaland this summer.. giving up on him suggests they *might* know he wants to go somewhere else

this doesn't make it true, of course, but it does make the story logical

UncleBob

of course it's logical

Chelsea just bought a shit version of Haaland, and actually bid for Haaland this summer.. giving up on him suggests they *might* know he wants to go somewhere else

this doesn't make it true, of course, but it does make the story logical
Chelsea didn't actually bid for him, they made an approach to see if it was possible to sign him this summer, because they wanted someone now, not next summer, which is why they instantly moved over to Lukaku.

The story about Real Madrid doesn't make much sense on any level. Raiola&Haaland wants as much interest as possible to stand a better chance of getting the contract they want, it's not in their interest to negotiate a deal like this a year ahead. Secondly, everyone knows the price required to activate the clause, there's no need to have a pre-agreement with Dortmund. They might be able to tempt Raiola&Co by offering insane terms, both wages and bonus payments for contract renewals, but they still don't have to make a pre-agreement with Dortmund. If the story was only about Raiola and Madrid, then at least the basics would make some more sense.

No one credible is backing the story

they bought him
So I guess they don’t
Thank god you didn't completely miss the point.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
it's not in their interest to negotiate a deal like this a year ahead.
I have observed that many posters assume they know what players want to make their points. In this case, if the player really wants the most lucrative contract and nothing else than that it might make sense to proceed like yoy say. However, if the player wants to join a certain club and is afraid of not fullfilling his dream, it is perfectly reasonable to sign an agreement so the club is forced to buy the player within a lapse of time.

In that case the agreement with the club would also make sense.

Diabovermelho

Mbappe is Real's priority. They might get him for free next summer. They might even get Pogba and Mbappe for free next summer. Anyway, with Mbappe, i don't think they'll go after Haaland, having Benzema already there till 2023.

With Chelsea getting Lukaku and City possibly signing Kane this summer, that means if Haaland wants Premier League football, we'll be the favourites to sign him.

UncleBob

I have observed that many posters assume they know what players want to make their points. In this case, if the player really wants the most lucrative contract and nothing else than that it might make sense to proceed like yoy say. However, if the player wants to join a certain club and is afraid of not fullfilling his dream, it is perfectly reasonable to sign an agreement so the club is forced to buy the player within a lapse of time.

In that case the agreement with the club would also make sense.
Why?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Personal opinion, depending on Covid and Mbappé, it'll be either a two horse race between Madrid and PSG(covid defeated, economy recovering, £800k a week in wages offered), or a 5-way between PSG/Madrid(only one of them), Bayern, Liverpool and the Manchester clubs (wages on offer: between £400k and £600k a week)

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Apparently Haaland could leave on the January window :

This could either lead to a big transfer fee competition but more likely talking to Raiola and Haalands family under secret and offering them the biggest money possible for a "lower dortmund transfer fee" in the summer.

I want the player here - but there is just something really scummy about the way he is potentially doing things in my opinion.

Zen86

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Spurs hold onto Kane and City go for Haaland instead. If you’ve got hundreds of millions burning holes your pockets and a glaring vacancy in the CF position, then the prolific younger option makes the most sense.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I've started seeing videos and reports saying that his buy out clause starts in January.

I wonder if this is true - I can see it as because a legal clause is more probable to come effect on a start of a year rather than a start of a season.

Could we get Haaland in the January transfer window?

The only reason I'm doubtful is the champions league- but Dortmund could be out of the group stage by that time too.

I'd rather have in January.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I do not know how his clause is written. I can say that Werner was a release clause and they were still in the knockout stage. It was his choice to continue in Bundesliga or join us immediately. He chose to join us immediately. Not sure if this is an apples to apples comparison?

Status
Not open for further replies.