Erling Haaland

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedDevilzFox

Said it before, sign Haaland and win the league. We will still concede a lot of goals with this defense, but at least we will also score a lot with him as our 9.

Although, admittedly, I hate the idea of Raiola hanging around like a bad smell.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
If he's free this summer why not.

But United need Sancho, a CB, a CDM and a potential Pogba replacement.

Obviously Pogba will go for around 60M, Martial (should go) could fetch 40M, then there's others that could go like Lingard, Mata.

Could United afford all the right players in the summer? unlikely.

I'd rather Haaland stay at Dortmund an extra year.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
If he's free this summer why not.

But United need Sancho, a CB, a CDM and a potential Pogba replacement.

Obviously Pogba will go for around 60M, Martial (should go) could fetch 40M, then there's others that could go like Lingard, Mata.

Could United afford all the right players in the summer? unlikely.

I'd rather Haaland stay at Dortmund an extra year.
Do we?
Greenwood and diallo... I'm not entirely convinced we need him

Sure it would be nice but I think a cdm and a cb are probably the top priorities... as for pogba I think he will sign an extension or leave on a free in a year.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
What’s even more frustrating is that Dortmund have been terrible this season yet have been able to snub us with Sancho and managed to get Haaland on the cheap. Was that really the best decisions for their careers?
It's great. Develop your career in a strong league which heavily favours attackers at a good club which promotes youth but doesn't have the pressure of the biggest clubs (becuase it isn't among them). Definitely think going down the Dortmund route is good for these players.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Why? He's already outgrown Dortmund
Because I want United to be able to but Haaland, Sancho, a CB and a CDM.

Plus if Pogba leaves United needs to replace Pogba.

I don't think United can do all of that in the summer window.

Haaland is 100M on his own.

I always thought Cavani would be good for an extra year.

Unless somehow United just go somehow get Haaland and Sancho, and scrape together money for a CDM. With the sales of Pogba and Martial, forgetting about CB and a Pogba replacement for another year.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Haaland, Sancho, Rice and Kounde all coming in with Romero, Dalot, Jones, Lindelof, Pereira, Mata, Lingard, Chong and James all going out would be the PERFECT transfer window in my opinion.

Four players coming straight into the starting eleven and upgrading it then promote Laird, Mengi, Garner, Mejbri and Diallo to the first team and then what we’d have is a young and hungry squad full of potential that could genuinely challenge on all fronts domestically and be a serious force in Europe.
I'm sure everyone's perfect transfer window would be getting rid of 7 under-contract deadwood players that mostly nobody is interested in and finding 300m quid somewhere for 4 top class signings.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I can't see how we can nap ahead of the other takers. Every big club wants him and we don't have the pulling power anymore.

CM

Honestly we could use another forward with all Martial's (and most of Greenwood's) goals drying up this season but it's a position I can't see us addressing for at least another season because of the way we operate.

Haaland would probably be close to unobtainable this summer anyway but I hope we're in the mix when that clause kicks in next year. We need a proper killer in front of goal.

HerbT

Supports
man city fc
C’mon now, let’s not act like City do everything above board. It’s already well documented Mancini was paid extra through offshore accounts, it’s highly likely this was done to ensure high profile players didn’t want to leave. Don’t you find it strange that not one player has kicked up a fuss to move to one of the Spanish giants over the years?
You’ve read between the lines and managed to find something that certainly wasn’t there by any intent.
I wasn’t trying to make out that City are squeaky clean saints (the thread’s all about Haarland and nowt to do with moral high ground) I was making the point that it’s highly unlikely that City will be willing to deal with Raiola going forwards, and that Utd is a much more likely destination for him because Woodward doesn’t seem to have an issue in dealing with his fat agent despite how tediously difficult & expensive he is to deal with.
If City got him I’d be concerned about the high probability of future issues but I promise you that it would not detract one iota from how chuffed I’d be to have a scoring machine like Haarland in our squad, and I expect most supporters would take that view.

In short; I wasn’t trying to take the high ground, I was just saying that I seriously believe that if he does come to Manchester he’ll be wrapped in red & white was all.

troylocker

Yeah, and it was that match we had scouts on place and they decided against making an offer for him
To be fair, he would not be the player he is today if he went here instead of Salzburg back then. He needed the steps he's taken. Development and minutes before money and status at every crossroad so far. Perfect career management so far from him.

troylocker

He does. But he doesn't have better feet than RVP, RVN, Andy Cole, Dwight Yorke or even Martial.

So was just confused how he was a Fergie striker.
I agree with the Fergie part, but Haaland will go down in history as a far better striker and goalscorer than all the above.

Mainoldo

I agree with the Fergie part, but Haaland will go down in history as a far better striker and goalscorer than all the above.
Bold statement. He's nowhere near as talented as RVP and RVN is a goal scoring goat who has done it in the best league's in Europe. I think that's an overstatement.. But we will see. I like him but I don't see what's so special about him that Lukaku didn't give. He's got a slightly better touch and no-one would claim Lukaku will go down in History. We can't just be judging players on stats alone.. we rip away the art of Football.

Judas

Open to offers
To be fair, he would not be the player he is today if he went here instead of Salzburg back then. He needed the steps he's taken. Development and minutes before money and status at every crossroad so far. Perfect career management so far from him.
Yep which is why Bellingham made the better decision going to Dortmund than us. Even with their struggles, for his development, comfortably the smarter choice I think.

troylocker

Bold statement. He's nowhere near as talented as RVP and RVN is a goal scoring goat who has done it in the best league's in Europe. I think that's an overstatement.. But we will see. I like him but I don't see what's so special about him that Lukaku didn't give. He's got a slightly better touch and no-one would claim Lukaku will go down in History. We can't just be judging players on stats alone.. we rip away the art of Football.
At 20 RVN played for Den Bosch in the Dutch 2nd division and scored 20 goals in his 71 matches for them. He took the step up to Eredivisie when he was 21 and stayed in Holland till he was 25 (He left Eredivisie with a goalratio of 110 minutes/goal). He kicked on from there with great stints here and with RM (119 minutes/goal for us and 121 minutes/goal for RM). In the CL he has a goalratio of 109 minutes/goal. For the Netherlands NT: 130 minutes/goal

RVP left Feyenoord for Arsenal at 21, he had goalratio of 257 minutes/goal in the Eredivisie up till then. For Arsenal he scored at 142 minutes/goal before he left them for us at 29. For us he scored at 138 minutes/goal. In the CL he has a goal ratio of 145 minutes/goal. For the Netherlands NT: 147 minutes/goal

But of course Haaland is nowhere near as talented as a goalscorer:

Goalratio at Salzburg (19 years old): 56 minutes/goal
Goalratio at Dortmund (19 and 20 years old): 83 minutes/goal
Goalratio in the CL (19/20 years old): 56 minutes/goal
Goalratio for Norway: 91 minutes/goal

Read through these numbers carefully and explain to me why he is nowhere near as talented as a goalscorer as the 2 Dutch legends?

Mainoldo

At 20 RVN played for Den Bosch in the Dutch 2nd division and scored 20 goals in his 71 matches for them. He took the step up to Eredivisie when he was 21 and stayed in Holland till he was 25 (He left Eredivisie with a goalratio of 110 minutes/goal). He kicked on from there with great stints here and with RM (119 minutes/goal for us and 121 minutes/goal for RM). In the CL he has a goalratio of 109 minutes/goal. For the Netherlands NT: 130 minutes/goal

RVP left Feyenoord for Arsenal at 21, he had goalratio of 257 minutes/goal in the Eredivisie up till then. For Arsenal he scored at 142 minutes/goal before he left them for us at 29. For us he scored at 138 minutes/goal. In the CL he has a goal ratio of 145 minutes/goal. For the Netherlands NT: 147 minutes/goal

But of course Haaland is nowhere near as talented as a goalscorer:

Goalratio at Salzburg (19 years old): 56 minutes/goal
Goalratio at Dortmund (19 and 20 years old): 83 minutes/goal
Goalratio in the CL (19/20 years old): 56 minutes/goal
Goalratio for Norway: 91 minutes/goal

Read through these numbers carefully and explain to me why he is nowhere near as talented as a goalscorer as the 2 Dutch legends?
What was Lukaku doing up to 23? He better than RVN? Your stat padding I don't think you appreciate the art of football. You are probably young. You didn't grow up watching RVP at Feyenoord, you didn't see Ronaldinho playing at PSG. If you did I don't know why you are telling me about what players who can develop at different ages where doing at 21. Saviola should be one of the best strikers of all time then.

But compare him to Lukaku. Anderlecht to Everton. Don't talk rubbish please.

Red4Life_#7

Do we?

Sure it would be nice but I think a cdm and a cb are probably the top priorities... as for pogba I think he will sign an extension or leave on a free in a year.
Completely agree with this!

Greenwood isn't a LW, but playing there is giving him experience and adding to his game. Diallo looks impressive, lets hope he can step up within the next year.

Sancho isn't the priority, especially with Rashy improving so much. CB and CDM are definitely the priority.

Haaland is the one we need, we need to go all out for him. Between now and then we need to improve as a team, make ourselves as attractive as possible and show he could win the CL by coming to United.

Plus marketing wise Haaland would be a great catch.

troylocker

What was Lukaku doing up to 23? He better than RVN? Your stat padding I don't think you appreciate the art of football. You are probably young. You didn't grow up watching RVP at Feyenoord, you didn't see Ronaldinho playing at PSG. If you did I don't know why you are telling me about what players who can develop at different ages where doing at 21. Saviola should be one of the best strikers of all time then.

But compare him to Lukaku. Anderlecht to Everton. Don't talk rubbish please.
My point is that Haaland right now is producing better than these guys did at their peak now at 20 and it is not even close. I don't think we are seeing peak Haaland now either. To evaluate goalscorers you actually need the stats, mate.
I did watch RVN back in the late 90s and he did impress me a lot. I remember a goal he scored against Ajax (for PSV) where he dribbled through 3-4 guys and scored in the start of the 99/00 season and fell in love with him as a player. I was delighted when we got his signature and think he was brilliant. I think Haaland is better and will become even better. I don't believe you have watched Haaland on a regular bases either. I have. I recommend you do, his finishing and movement is pure art. That volley against Northern Ireland is the purest thing you'll ever see.

It shines through that you don't like Lukaku, but he has allways been a good goalscorer. Not as good as the RVN on club level, but close to RVP. Not close to Haaland though.
Lukaku had a goalratio of 162 minutes/goal at Anderlecht before he left for PL at 19. For West Brom he scored at 132 minutes/goal and at Everton he scored at 161 minutes/goal. He didn't score for Chelsea (466 minutes) and scored at 168 minutes/goal for us. He has stepped up his game in Italy with 115 minutes/goal (taking penalties helps) entering his prime.
CL - 162 minutes/goal
Belgium NT - 97 minutes/goal (In a best ever Belgium)

How did Saviola enter the discussion? Nothing about him is comparable with Haaland.

Lukaku was an impressive young talent, but was not even close to Haaland when we're talking about goalscoring. The only similarities between Halland and Lukaku is that they are tall and scored a lot at a young age. Haaland is faster (his acceleration is ridiculous), has better movement, is better at finishing, has better ballcontroll and has a hunger and energy in his game that Lukaku can only dream of. Haaland is a lot more direct in his style than Lukaku and they really have very different approaches to the game. Haaland has historically good goalscoring numbers for his age and there is no players in modern football (post 1970) with similar numbers at 19/20, not one. Do I think Haaland will become Messi or Maradona on the ball? Nope, but I think he might become the goat goalscorer if he avoids serious injuries. He is definitely The player to break the bank for IMO.

Last edited:

Tibs

This is a must signing for us.

I'd sell Rashford in a heartbeat if it meant we secure Haaland

Jerry Garcia

People are delusional if you think he’s going to sign for United. If he comes to England, he’s city bound. Personally, I think he’ll end up in Spain. Don’t do it to yourselves.

Matt851

People are delusional if you think he’s going to sign for United. If he comes to England, he’s city bound. Personally, I think he’ll end up in Spain. Don’t do it to yourselves.
Yep

I wouldnt be suprised if our budget is pretty tiny this summer, maybe good enough to sign one first team player at best e.g. 40-50m

Chief123

Haaland, Sancho, Rice and Kounde all coming in with Romero, Dalot, Jones, Lindelof, Pereira, Mata, Lingard, Chong and James all going out would be the PERFECT transfer window in my opinion.

Four players coming straight into the starting eleven and upgrading it then promote Laird, Mengi, Garner, Mejbri and Diallo to the first team and then what we’d have is a young and hungry squad full of potential that could genuinely challenge on all fronts domestically and be a serious force in Europe.
That’s at the least £200m worth of purchases. No chance. Especially in the worst summer financially for all clubs.

Water Melon

Tend to agree with this. If he is in the prem, he will be wearing a blue shirt, so, hopefully, he won't play in England.

SAFMUTD

Have to sign him.
The only way I can see this happening is if we massively overpay him wages wise, I mean wage that no other club would match, something like 450K a week.

Being honest if you were Haaland, you have no feelings attached to ManUtd besides money why would you choose us? Yes we have great fans and a rich history but as an organization we have fallen behind and we are not even challenging the big titles nor we have a worldclass coach who could take him to the next level.

He'd be definitely searching for a club that catapults him to winning the ballon d'or, to achieve that he needs to be in a team that wins the UCL. We are light years away of winning a champions league, we struggle to qualify and when we get there we don't get to the latter rounds.

If I was him I would pick Madrid or City. He'd be a starter with great wages and a winning structure that challenges for titles every year. if he chooses Madrid then a rich history if he chooses City then a worldclass coach.

I think it be foolish to think we actually have a chance unless we severely overpay him and Riaola, in which case we have to ask ourselves is the worth it? Because overpaying him would mean he'll drag other players to higher wages as well.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
A world class striker would be lovely, but there's very little bit if we don't massively improve our laughable creativity.
Precisely -- the 'we sign Haaland we win the league' posts are pretty strange to me. He's an excellent forward, but he'd probably score fewer here than he does at Dortmund with how creatively bereft we are. Cavani and Martial had 0 shots against West Brom last night. Part of that may be down to their own performances, but another part of that is simply down to the fact that we struggle to create clear cut, or even half chances.

Improving quality in positions is always a plus, but it's a bit redundant when more fundamental factors are missing.

Mainoldo

My point is that Haaland right now is producing better than these guys did at their peak now at 20 and it is not even close. I don't think we are seeing peak Haaland now either. To evaluate goalscorers you actually need the stats, mate.
I did watch RVN back in the late 90s and he did impress me a lot. I remember a goal he scored against Ajax (for PSV) where he dribbled through 3-4 guys and scored in the start of the 99/00 season and fell in love with him as a player. I was delighted when we got his signature and think he was brilliant. I think Haaland is better and will become even better. I don't believe you have watched Haaland on a regular bases either. I have. I recommend you do, his finishing and movement is pure art. That volley against Northern Ireland is the purest thing you'll ever see.

It shines through that you don't like Lukaku, but he has allways been a good goalscorer. Not as good as the RVN on club level, but close to RVP. Not close to Haaland though.
Lukaku had a goalratio of 162 minutes/goal at Anderlecht before he left for PL at 19. For West Brom he scored at 132 minutes/goal and at Everton he scored at 161 minutes/goal. He didn't score for Chelsea (466 minutes) and scored at 168 minutes/goal for us. He has stepped up his game in Italy with 115 minutes/goal (taking penalties helps) entering his prime.
CL - 162 minutes/goal
Belgium NT - 97 minutes/goal (In a best ever Belgium)

How did Saviola enter the discussion? Nothing about him is comparable with Haaland.

Lukaku was an impressive young talent, but was not even close to Haaland when we're talking about goalscoring. The only similarities between Halland and Lukaku is that they are tall and scored a lot at a young age. Haaland is faster (his acceleration is ridiculous), has better movement, is better at finishing, has better ballcontroll and has a hunger and energy in his game that Lukaku can only dream of. Haaland is a lot more direct in his style than Lukaku and they really have very different approaches to the game. Haaland has historically good goalscoring numbers for his age and there is no players in modern football (post 1970) with similar numbers at 19/20, not one. Do I think Haaland will become Messi or Maradona on the ball? Nope, but I think he might become the goat goalscorer if he avoids serious injuries. He is definitely The player to break the bank for IMO.
How old are you? Never in my life have I seen someone so confident to bet it all on a player with the skill set level of a Haaland :lol: The difference between him and Lukaku are laughable too. Hunger and energy in his game? What does that even mean. One of Lukaku’s biggest strengths is his blind confidence. That’s why he can step to Zlatan so freely. Haaland seems to have the same attribute mind you. Probably why Neymar mocked him. Another player with a comparable goal scoring record at the same age and light years better than him.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
How old are you? Never in my life have I seen someone so confident to bet it all on a player with the skill set level of a Haaland :lol: The difference between him and Lukaku are laughable too. Hunger and energy in his game? What does that even mean. One of Lukaku’s biggest strengths is his blind confidence. That’s why he can step to Zlatan so freely. Haaland seems to have the same attribute mind you. Probably why Neymar mocked him. Another player with a comparable goal scoring record at the same age and light years better than him.
Yeah, I think Haaland is a bit overhyped, but for the price he'd be available at, I don't care because it's a bargain compared to what someone like Mbappe would cost. He's an incredible goal-scorer mind you, but he is not this juggernaut that immediately transforms your team, just look at how Dortmund's performing right now. It's not really his fault, he's doing his part, but the point is he's not lifting the team up to wins on his own like some are suggesting he would do with United, and that's playing in Germany which is basically THE utopian league for fast forwards.

Judas

Open to offers
Precisely -- the 'we sign Haaland we win the league' posts are pretty strange to me. He's an excellent forward, but he'd probably score fewer here than he does at Dortmund with how creatively bereft we are. Cavani and Martial had 0 shots against West Brom last night. Part of that may be down to their own performances, but another part of that is simply down to the fact that we struggle to create clear cut, or even half chances.

Improving quality in positions is always a plus, but it's a bit redundant when more fundamental factors are missing.
Yep. Anyone who's actually watched this lad knows he thrives off service, he's a service reliant striker mostly. Not a bad thing, he's lethal if you give him the chances, but we don't create them for Cavani half the time, it's not going to be any different if you swap Cavani out for Haaland and don't change anything else.

Mainoldo

Yeah, I think Haaland is a bit overhyped, but for the price he'd be available at, I don't care because it's a bargain compared to what someone like Mbappe would cost. He's an incredible goal-scorer mind you, but he is not this juggernaut that immediately transforms your team, just look at how Dortmund's performing right now. It's not really his fault, he's doing his part, but the point is he's not lifting the team up to wins on his own like some are suggesting he would do with United, and that's playing in Germany which is basically THE utopian league for fast forwards.
Yeah I actually like him. But what you said he’s not coming here and dragging us to a trophy with his goals like RVP. He’s got a lot of developing to do and more importantly needs service.

The Irish Connection

The only way I can see this happening is if we massively overpay him wages wise, I mean wage that no other club would match, something like 450K a week.

Being honest if you were Haaland, you have no feelings attached to ManUtd besides money why would you choose us? Yes we have great fans and a rich history but as an organization we have fallen behind and we are not even challenging the big titles nor we have a worldclass coach who could take him to the next level.

He'd be definitely searching for a club that catapults him to winning the ballon d'or, to achieve that he needs to be in a team that wins the UCL. We are light years away of winning a champions league, we struggle to qualify and when we get there we don't get to the latter rounds.

If I was him I would pick Madrid or City. He'd be a starter with great wages and a winning structure that challenges for titles every year. if he chooses Madrid then a rich history if he chooses City then a worldclass coach.

I think it be foolish to think we actually have a chance unless we severely overpay him and Riaola, in which case we have to ask ourselves is the worth it? Because overpaying him would mean he'll drag other players to higher wages as well.
A fair assessment. But I do think we have a few things going for us:
Ole coached him at Molde. Helped him develop and knows his game. That counts for something. Haaland knows Ole, and that he is capable of winning things.
Also, Ole was a great striker, which Haaland will respect. Ole and the club have clearly shown interest in his development.

He is Norwegian. Man united are huge in Scandinavia. He would see us as the top 5 club in the world that we are. And he has said he wants to play in the premier league.

We have looked promising this year and the end of last season. Bruno is getting all the plaudits for lifting us to 2nd and will probably be in the running for player of the season.

He might relish the challenge of boosting us further like Bruno has, with potential to win the first title in years.

Also, we can pay good wages.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
That’s at the least £200m worth of purchases. No chance. Especially in the worst summer financially for all clubs.
if we didn’t do it last year after being out of the CL ,the team on the up but clearly still lacking quality and waaaay off in the league and only 3 months of no fans because of covid. VDB Amad and some youth. About 80 million?

fast forward almost a year later. Slim to no chance they take any risks. We are doing slightly better overall. Wage bill slashed. We will spend 50/60 on a defender and maybe go back for sancho if Pogba goes. That’s about it.

vanderpants

About as much chance of signing Haaland as we have of finishing in the top 2! I'd rather we spunk our transfer budget on 2 good CBs

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Do we?

I am in the same boat. I think we need a world class striker more than sancho.

troylocker

if it makes you happy, I can tell you that I’m a 1975 model. I was a striker my entire senior football career myself and have a fascination for good goalscorers. If you don’t understand what I’m referring to when I talk about hunger and energy that’s on you, but I suggest you watch some of his runs to get into good positions in front of goal. Zlatan was a late bloomer when it comes to goalscoring and didn’t start scoring at good rates before he was 28/29, even though he was brilliant on the ball. Neymar was also brilliant on the ball, but was never close to Haalands goalratio, not at Santos, not at Barca, not at PSG, not for Brazil or in the CL. Can he do more stuff with the ball? Yes! Will the ball end up in the back of the net more often with Haaland? Yes! Most complete footballer: Neymar. Best goalscorer: Haaland

I had the same feeling when I watched young R9 at PSV and Barca as I have when I watch Haaland now. You just know he special.

PS! Cudos to you for using the phrase »light years» when comparing the level of talent of 2 world class footballers, in the same post where you question my age. I would love to hear you compare an amateur to a WC player.

Status
Not open for further replies.