ESPN: Man Utd told Ten Hag to lower hopes for the season

wolvored

Maybe it was lower your expectations on incoming players and ESPN put their spin on it.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
This is what we all wanted to hear.

Although, the way this summer went, this goes without saying. I think ETH should lower his expectations in general, not just this summer.
He'll leave on his own accord if that's the case, the guy was in demand and he took a risk on getting us back to the top, I'm guessing the hierarchy at the club promised the world to get him here, Bayern will take him sooner or later.

Smores

Nothing unbelievable about that really, just standard expectation management every club does to the press.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Reading the actual article, it's a very logical position to take. We've mostly said it on here in various forms that we need to gradually build our way back to the top - they're basically saying manage expectations for that exact reason
It's a management way to tell him 'were giving you time', is it not? Exactly the thing everyone was shouting for when we appointed ETH

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Has your boss ever come to you to lower expectations he has in you?
Tbf that's not really what the article says. They're saying that ETH was advised to play down expectations, not that ETH's bosses lowered their expectations for him.

Jacob

Laugh first then question whether it is true or not. Second step is optional.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Tbf that's not really what the article says. They're saying that ETH was advised to play down expectations, not that ETH's bosses lowered their expectations for him.
Yeah thanks, read it now and actually agree with it. It makes a lot of sense and isn't a big deal

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
You know how this works. People only read titles... and as far as titles go...

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
We are a mid-table club. Once you accept that fact, everything else becomes more palatable and football becomes a lot less stressful. This is the same path clubs like Everton and Newcastle walked through after being higher up the food chain.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
For some reason I’ve just got Stephen Merchant in my head now, welcoming Erik to carrington “so Eric, hi! Good to see you. Now that you’re here - got you by the way, fooled you ha ha- just want you to forget what we discussed in that interview, all that stuff about winning things. Don’t worry about all that old none sense, overrated! Nah, we prefer you to go with the flow, see what happens, ease yourself in gently and don’t ruffle any feathers!”

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Has your boss ever come to you to lower expectations he has in you?
Politically in the workplace its very common to have expectations managed. Setting low targets make outperformance easier and therefore its easier to paint a success story.

The article isnt talking about ambitions going beyond this season, but just about how Ten Hag was asked not to big up the current squad in a worry of adding too much pressure on them. I think thats silly as it builds for mediocrity but in a general workplace it can happen.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
That doesn’t make any sense though. He hasn’t said anything about targets this season. He was asked do we have a squad capable for top four and all he answered was we try to win every game. Should we not be trying to win every game? The only reason people naively thought we wouldn’t be shite against Brighton was because we played well in pre-season. Did they want us to throw pre-season games? The expectation is to not be as shit as last year. They’ve never been as low as they have. So it makes zero sense - he hasn’t played them up and they’ve never been lower.

redcucumber

Boehly has no clue what he’s doing & is spunking money left right and center, it’ll all come crashing down soon enough.
Whereas the Glazers approach has a clear and obvious trajectory of propelling us back to the top. Aces!

Lewnited

We're mess and I expect a painful season but story is some hot doo doo

iato89

Until those parasites remain there, then RIP Man Utd

rabnub

In reality though what are our realistic expectations...

Absolute horror show last year. You cannot fix that in one summer under a new manager. This is going to take time. Top four is beyond us at the moment. Even if we were fortunate to get Frankie to sign on the dotted line it would be still beyond us in my opinion. All those around us look to have strengthened considerably. It will take 2-3 windows for ETH to get the players he needs to implement his system into the club. We were awful last season with a toxic dressing room. You cant polish that up no matter how good a manager you are. Some elements of the toxicity have been moved on. I am sure there are still some remaining.

My only concern is the lack of patience from the fanbase. If we are sitting in 7th or 8th by the time the world cup comes around there will be huge portions of the fanbase calling for his head. And then the merry go round will start again. I believe as a fanbase we need to lower our expectations whilst the manager cleans house. Its not been an ideal transfer window but that said there is still time .

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's ESPN they're literally only interested in click bait.

mikeyt

I'm not going to give that crap another click so haven't read it, but if that was genuinely the case I think ETH would probably walk.

crossy1686

career ending
It’s probably not true but if it were and you were a player, why would you stay at United? Wasting your career on people who have no idea what they’re doing.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
ETH knows full well what he’s let himself in for, the state of the club was all over the Dutch press before ETH was appointed manager and lots of Dutch pundits were advising ETH not to become our manager. Actually, I think the state of the club actually attracted ETH. He’s definitely not in it for the money (he’s the son of one of the richest families in Holland), it’s the challenge he’s here for.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Blaming Rangnick for his truthful comments, fecking hell this club is a disgrace.
You knew it was coming though. Especially after how Rangnick's comments have been shared on social media since Sunday.

Honestly, were I a Man Utd player, I'd be insulted to have my poor performances attributed to being psyched out by comments from a temporary manager. However, the people briefing this stuff to Rob Dawson clearly don't understand public perception. So they'd never even consider that. They're just trying to make themselves look better (and drowning all the while...)

Castia

:lol:

If only those fans who sat down with Arnold knew what would happen this summer.

::sonny::

He can’t be fired then, whatever it happens, but it’s probably that we can see a frank de boer like start of the season

Looking for the game against Brentford

Last edited:

RedDF

ETH knows full well what he’s let himself in for, the state of the club was all over the Dutch press before ETH was appointed manager and lots of Dutch pundits were advising ETH not to become our manager. Actually, I think the state of the club actually attracted ETH. He’s definitely not in it for the money (he’s the son of one of the richest families in Holland), it’s the challenge he’s here for.
I agree with this, I think he wanted to be the one to put it right. Great attitude but let’s see if he’s given enough time to do it.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I can’t imagine they’ve said this :lol:

Skills

Snitch
I feel like you can write whatever you want about the club atm. The fan base is just about wound up enough, and just the right amount of stupid.

Fair play, get your clicks if you can if you're a journo.

Castia

Imagine coming into the job. They tell you not to expect much and fail to deliver the targeted players you want.

I said to my mate earlier that I can see him walking after Christmas if this season goes the way I can see it going. Conte would have already fecked off.

Skills

Snitch
Imagine coming into the job. They tell you not to expect much and fail to deliver the targeted players you want.

I said to my mate earlier that I can see him walking after Christmas if this season goes the way I can see it going. Conte would have already fecked off.
Wanna bet £100 he doesn't walk?

AndySmith1990

The club is owned by cnuts and run by morons. I feel sorry for Ten Hag, he deserves better than this mess of a club.