ETH: "We need new players and quality players. We will try and convince them to join." | Mirror: ETH believes FDJ will join Utd over Chelsea

led_scholes

the abuse I got for saying that a a month or so ago...
It's crazy that we had since March to find 4-5 targets and offload players like Bailly and Brandon Williams. We still haven't find a backup GK. Imagine how hard will be for our snails to identify DDG's replacement.

The Sad Clown

Is this desperation at this from ten Hag in respect to his supposed comments on De Jong? Does he even believe it as I'm struggling to do so myself.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
I wonder if we will be jolted into pulling our heads out and actually getting 2-3 players in now. We'll be looking at 0 points from 9 with a goal difference close to -10 one week from now.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
If spending depends on sales then I think we're pretty much done this window?

It also makes buying Martinez look much more stupid.

Drifter

American
Please spare me the old, he did not know what he was getting into.

Godfather

What's even worse is we've lost absolutely all leverage we would've entered the market with in June; now, any agent worth their salt is demanding far more for their client to come here than would've two months ago. Penalties for us being a dysfunctional mess who are absolutely desperate for players.

It's incompetence on a level I cannot get my head around, and could not care less if it's not 'football people' running the show: anyone with financial wits about them should have a basic grasp of how any market works without having to understand anything like the minutiae of it.

This. All the talk about how we still have time is absolute nonsense. Business should have been done the moment we got ETH. We had an attractive project to sell. Now we are desperate to a point any proper player will think twice before even considering joining us. Not to mention the fact every fecking club in the world knows how desperate we are and will fleece us. But that's the price you pay for waiting and waiting and waiting and doing feck all for two months

BBer13

We aren't proactive when it comes to selling players, we seem to hold on to everyone with the hope one day they will get better. The only one in memory that we actually sold when it wasn't working out was Dan James and we ended up with a profit on him, it shows acting quickly pays off. Donny should of been sold after the first 12months when it was clear he wasn't in the clubs plans, the transfer from start to finish has been bizarre. Sir alex was never afraid to get rid of a player if it wasn't working, Veron is the one that first comes to mind. We just stock up on deadwood who are on over inflated wages that no other club will end up wanting, happens every year.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
2 weeks left and getting ripped by average teams wont convincing no one to join. If we get a half decent player they are here for money like the majority of the team. feck the lot of them and play the youth. I want to see the players with big egos smashed to bits.
We'd all love this, bro. However, it also diminishes their financial value to the club and it's then a massive downwards spiral much like Leeds.

JuriM

There are a lot players out there who could do the work and develop in the long term to EtH tactics and how we want to play - a lot of them have release clauses in their contract, it's time to scout well and activate them to get the transfers done.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Quite rightly so. Although I question his decision making too looking at Martinez that he desperately wanted
All 3 United's incoming have been EtH's picks. FdJ, I don't think it's the clubs' fault. I don't know about other transfer activities behind the scenes if EtH has been let down. Yes, the long-term strategy has failed.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
We'd all love this, bro. However, it also diminishes their financial value to the club and it's then a massive downwards spiral much like Leeds.
That has been one of the problems all along, not knowing when to sell players, instead we handed out extended contracts to protect their value, when some were worthless anyway. Now they are just a millstone round our necks.

Newtonius

It’s not that low when you consider how much deadwood we need to get rid of.

Why is Bailly still here? Why is Jones still here? Wan Bissaka? All these players should have gone out for, even if only for fees of 5-6 mill to add another 15 - 20 mil to the budget and free up more wage space.

But the ridiculous contracts we hand out means no one wants to take our deadwood and we have to wait until their contracts expire.
Just for the pleasure of their ownership the Glazers took out 8% of this budget as pocket money this summer are you joking its way too low, particularly considering the deferrment of January signings, the state of the squad and the context of the market.

Not to mention 500 thousand pound a week has already left the club in wages too the existence of any deadwood should be irrelevant.

Castia

The class of player we’re linked with is just crazy. Rabiot, Morata, Arnaotovic, it’s a fecking mess.

Get FdJ if that’s at all possible and play the kids. Zidane, Savage etc would at least run their bollocks off for the club, we dont even have the basics at the moment.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
All 3 United's incoming have been EtH's picks. FdJ, I don't think it's the clubs' fault. I don't know about other transfer activities behind the scenes if EtH has been let down. Yes, the long-term strategy has failed.
Martinez would probably work with a steady unit round him. Instead he has a goalkeeper not suited to this type of football, who puts his defence and midfield in trouble trying be. Maguire who is immobile and not mentally strong enough to overcome any criticism. Then two abysmal fullbacks, one of which should have been sold years ago.

Laurencio

Quite rightly so. Although I question his decision making too looking at Martinez that he desperately wanted
Agreed. It made sense in a world with a 250M budget. When the budget is 150M, it really seems like a terrible idea.

Edwards6

Everyone knew we needed at least 5 players to come in and improve the 1st team but we haven't even replaced the players that have left so far. Don't know why Ten Hag is being blamed it won't matter who the manager is if they're being let down by the board

Reactions: Fortitude

stoinz

He's been sold a dud.
This was exactly what LVG said too.

On the outside the club has been spending a lot of money investing in the first team but yet none of our managers (bar Ole who were just happy being here) were happy the transfers.

The clubs will dither on a fee and until it is too late - which end up in 2 scenarios - over paying or going for our third or fourth choice. Which in our case now, we are offered our fourth or maybe even fifth choice targets. It is infuriating that we are even in such a position. Yes there are some targets like Muller that weren't attainable, but do we need to break their fax machine over multiple incremental bids for 2-3 months to find out?

Yes we are spending money but that is not the same as backing the manager. It is obviously we operate on a fixed budget, most clubs do. But the clowns managing the budget are well..clowns, dithering trying for X and whatever remains from that we will use it for Y. At the same time we want to sell at exorbitant price. We always end up selling no-one, spending big on X and with the buying crap players on high wages with our remaining budget.

This is 100% on the club!

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
United needs to adjust their transfer strategy and adapt it to the current situation where the best players are out of
reach.

I think it’s a bad idea to buy old and often second, third or fourth alternatives in order to keep head above water.

United will never become a consistent title challenger with this strategy, example
  • Arnautovic
  • Eriksen
  • Rabiot
  • Cavani
  • Varane
All of these players are good players, but with no potential left; they wouldn’t develope in United and their best performances are back in time. United wouldn’t have a special place in these player’s heart and United will never get the required team spirit to become a champion.
Yup. It’s not rocket science. Liverpool have essentially provided us with a template for how we need to approach recruitment, during their recent ascension.

Instead of doing what needs to be done, though, we’re ******* about, overpaying for has-beens to desperately cling on to the delusion that we’re still up there with the biggest clubs in terms of attraction and player pull.

Castia

Put money on him walking before May. If the window shuts and he’s not got any of his primary targets he deserves to feck it off.

RedIan

I dont get the turning on Degea, he has one bad game and suddenly he is useless.. really… he was motm game after game last season and being heralded as a hero who kept us in many games. He definitely is one of a few id keep.

Jacob

I dont get the turning on Degea, he has one bad game and suddenly he is useless.. really… he was motm game after game last season and being heralded as a hero who kept us in many games. He definitely is one of a few id keep.
He is motm only because our defense is shit. There's something wrong with the team if the GK wins player of the season year after year.

Castia

Absolutely no chance of this happening.
In any normal scenario I agree. There’s something not right at United and I can see him fecking it off if he doesn’t get what he needs to do the job.

He isn’t sticking around for this. A team full of players who dont want to do the work, a transfer strategy that’s just unbelievable with the players we are linked with.

We just don’t know how bad this is going to get either, I’m looking at our fixtures and I can’t see where the next point is coming from.

Last edited:

Woodzy

He has had many bad games for years, including longer spells of poor form with last season being an exception.

He is a very brainless goalkeeper not suited for the modern game and style of play we are clearly trying to implement. He’s one of the best shot stoppers in football which is why he proved his worth last season, but he’s not the goalkeeper we need to able to play the way the manager wants.

That second pass to Eriksen yesterday that led to the first goal was criminal considering the exact same mistake happened minutes before.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Its not one bad game. Hes always been poor in what a goalkeeper under Ten Hag needs to excel at. Its not all about shot stopping

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
De Gea has been one of our biggest issues for the last 4 years. Anyone who doesn't recognize that deserves the dross he serves up.

fezzerUTD

1 bad game? :lol:

YSB99

Supports
Machester United FC
I don’t mind taking the gamble on ten Haag cause he did do well at Ajax but the truth is (obviously the glazers wouldn’t have had him)

but conte was the man we needed to weed out the United versions of ndombele and give the rest another kick up the hole,

the day we picked the players over Jose was the day it really began to come crashing down, we done this to protect losers like Pogba martial Rashford Shaw etc, we made our bed……..

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Right? I kept saying Martinez was a ridiculous purchase at that price and was promptly told he was going to transform the way we play with his lovely left foot. That worked out well without any new midfielders in front of him didn’t it?

It’s unbelievable that Varane has been sat on our bench the last two games while we played McFred and a #10 in midfield. Jesus wept.
Eriksen didn’t play 10 for Brentford. He’s adaptable sure, but as scholes got older he dropped deeper and it’s the same with Eriksen

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He'll walk if this horrific form continues.
I don’t know why people think that, he doesn’t strike me as a quitter. He knows it’s a big job, there’s not a magic wand to suddenly turn us around despite what some of our fanbase think. He will get a kick out of turning this big club around. If you genuinely think he’s a quitter then I think you need to look at his character more and try and understand him. Quitter? No chance

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
It’s career suicide joining United. No player with any ounce of self-respect will do it. Sad but true.