ETH: "We need new players and quality players. We will try and convince them to join." | Mirror: ETH believes FDJ will join Utd over Chelsea

BBer13

Didn’t he say he was happy with the quality the other day? He wanted to learn it a hard way by giving these players a clean slate this summer.
While the fans always want to hear the blunt truth, it wouldn't be good for a new manager to come out like ralf did and say all of the squad is poor and needs massive changes. Its impossible to change the full team in one windows and to burn bridges with all the first team squad and make a fragile dressing room even worse would probably be the end of ten hag before it got started. Ten hag has always made it clear we need first team signings, quality that can improve us....he has done it without condemning our current players which i think was the smart move.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I said in other thread; he did same mistake as LVG. Giving (another) chance to players because he wanted to "evaluate" them.
If he did preseason research he should have knew who is good and who is not.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
How do Brighton and Brentford manage to play some decent footy with just a tiny fraction of our budget? I’m sure it is possible to do better with the players available to him..
Those managers will have the players that can play the system they chose to play. They might not be world beaters, but they are hard working.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Problem was pre-season was pretty good on the whole and yet again they fooled a manager into thinking he might not have as big a problem as he was led to believe. The end of last season people just put down to them freewheeling to the end.
It's easy to look good against the Australian league all-stars.

When we played real teams in the last few games, the warning signs were already there.

Fooza

I said in other thread; he did same mistake as LVG. Giving (another) chance to players because he wanted to "evaluate" them.
Didn't we hire Ralf to evaluate the team for the new manager to come in? Didn't work for shite

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Trouble is if you have people at the club chipping in with opinions about the players, trying to big up players who do not deserve it.
They are all gonna lose their fecking jobs if we drop to the championship so they need to shut the feck up.

We need good people with a proven track record to run things behind the scenes. It's all out of hand. Remove the players who think they are above the club is the first order of business.

Rajma

While the fans always want to hear the blunt truth, it wouldn't be good for a new manager to come out like ralf did and say all of the squad is poor and needs massive changes. Its impossible to change the full team in one windows and to burn bridges with all the first team squad and make a fragile dressing room even worse would probably be the end of ten hag before it got started. Ten hag has always made it clear we need first team signings, quality that can improve us....he has done it without condemning our current players which i think was the smart move.
It’s possible you just need competent people upstairs.

mu4c_20le

Everyone here keeps harping on about this not being his squad, yet he's believing in them. If he has to sod the lot of them on the bench and play the youngsters to prove something to the board, I'll have more respect for him

He is in a tough position, but I just think he's been a bit naive in thinking his style could be done with this team.
Actually he's asking for more players. He wants 3 more, which would take it to 6 this summer.

Never heard of a new manager walk in and sack the entire work force though, in any kind of business, except in a reality show.

redshaw

The biggest fear is they won't want to come and we can't fix the problems. Our perception is tumbling. We as a club are probably looking like Rabies in Holland right now and elsewhere too

Such is the notoriety of United, how much of a talent graveyard we are, parasitic owners that can't employ people that can run the club for them. it's going to be difficult. Eriksen must be thinking what the hell did I just do in joining

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Too late. All the good signings are off the board. Better to start planning for next summer.
Too right. That is the facts, we can ignore them and keep going or we can face reality and put in work ahead of time rather than just chasing what we didn't do the last transfer window or the last manager. We should sell where we can, players like Maguire and Rashford can easily be replaced within by Elanga and Lindelof. You don't lose much if anything. Shaw needs to go. Bruno as much as I like him can fetch a lot of money to redistribute, but we probably need him to avoid relegation talks. Theres probably a lot more. I mean we'd likely be slightly less robust squad-wise over a full season, but the long term impact of that is nothing compared to the alternative of once again trusting these players for another go-around. That will be the most detrimental longterm.

Players on big wages and we wont lose much quality if we sell.
De Gea - replaced by Henderson
Maguire - Lindelof
Rashford - Elanga
Shaw - Williams
Dalot - Laird
DVB - Hannibal
McTominay - Garner
Ronaldo - Martial

Then we can spend that money + a lot more money towards next summer. Probably wont be quick, or cheap but a lot quicker and probably will cost the same as keeping these guys on for 4-6 years.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
ETH needs to stop restricting himself to eredivise. The difference in quality between the Dutch league and the Premier league is huge.
He has signed 2 from there, 1 of whom looks pretty good and the other looked good in one game and not good in another.

They both need time to adapt and are showing enough to persevere with.

kunal18

He needs to get his tactics right , whether players come or not.
We are not creating enough chances nor are we defending well. That's pretty basic.
He has already bought 2 defenders and a creative midfielder and ,he needs to show more than he has so far.
Losing games is not going to increase his transfer kitty or give him time .

DomesticTadpole

It's easy to look good against the Australian league all-stars.

When we played real teams in the last few games, the warning signs were already there.
Which is why he has been trying to get the players in, we are now in a desperate state, yet again and the other clubs know it. The top class players really don't want to come here, so he is left with players he thinks he can get the necessary performances out of in his system.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
How do Brighton and Brentford manage to play some decent footy with just a tiny fraction of our budget? I’m sure it is possible to do better with the players available to him..
Because they're actually run properly. The people in charge at United only know how to do PR and get sponsorships.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Yup. Ralf had the number of these chancers. Yet, for some reason, we chose to ignore his analysis. Now we are back exactly where we are when we got beat at Palace on the last day of last season. Nothing has changed.

DomesticTadpole

They are all gonna lose their fecking jobs if we drop to the championship so they need to shut the feck up.

We need good people with a proven track record to run things behind the scenes. It's all out of hand. Remove the players who think they are above the club is the first order of business.
I still do not like Fletcher being involved or SAF etc being asked for their opinions. You need a modern view of football, not one from years gone by.

opopop

We could end up with a left winger and past their best midfielder and that's it

Then nothing will change because the squad is still a mess and needed a lot more of a shake up.

But it won't be acceptable for the ones above Ten Hag that they fecked it all up, so any criticism from Ten Hag of the squad quality will see Ten Hag get sacked sooner.

With leaks of Ten Hag being difficult/out of his depth/not understanding the club being thrown out there so he takes the blame.

Because the surgery Rangnick was describing is the last thing people at the club want or are able to do.

Fooza

Actually he's asking for more players. He wants 3 more, which would take it to 6 this summer.

Never heard of a new manager walk in and sack the entire work force though, in any kind of business, except in a reality show.
1 of which is young and on the bench over shaw (his decision)
1 was taken off at half time

Not looking good, I mean I don't want to blame him and come off as his the major fault. He has some blame of how shite it's been in the first two games and how bad it's been.

I still think for him to be a success, he has to ride out the worst period of his management career but playing a different style to grind out results.

DomesticTadpole

Yup. Ralf had the number of these chancers. Yet, for some reason, we chose to ignore his analysis. Now we are back exactly where we are when we got beat at Palace on the last day of last season. Nothing has changed.
It would cost a large amount of money, probably a lot more than the budget allows. Can't be having that.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Why the feck have we waited until we've played 2 games and been spanked in each, until we have come to this conclusion?! ETH really needs to learn and quickly.
It has been widely reported that Ten Hag wanted a LB, RB, CB, 2 CMs and a forward this window. He's just shifting the pressure back to the board. The managers that had the balls to speak in the media ended up putting the manager versus the board confrontation in public like Mourinho and Rangnick did. They both got the sack. Glazers won't like what ETH said after the game.

DomesticTadpole

1 of which is young and on the bench over shaw (his decision)
1 was taken off at half time

Not looking good, I mean I don't want to blame him and come off as his the major fault. He has some blame of how shite it's been in the first two games and how bad it's been.

I still think for him to be a success, he has to ride out the worst period of his management career but playing a different style to grind out results.
Somebody probably told him Luke is world class once he runs the big mac off.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
The vast majority of the players we are linked to aren’t ‘quality players’ so unless there is something special going on behind the scenes that you’re gonna be disappointed Eric.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
If United can’t get the players in to improve the squad, then ETH will have to adopt his system. Whatever, I said before the season started we’d do very well to even end up in the top half of the table. Relegation is beckoning and it’s been heading this way for 4 or 5 seasons. It’s going to take at least 2 seasons for the manager to sort this mess out. Echoes of the Doc in the 70’s.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
If United can’t get the players in to improve the squad, then ETH will have to adopt his system. Whatever, I said before the season started we’d do very well to even end up in the top half of the table. Relegation is beckoning and it’s been heading this way for 4 or 5 seasons. It’s going to take at least 2 seasons for the manager to sort this mess out. Echoes of the Doc in the 70’s.
That's what the previous managers did. They gave up on their systems and tried to work with what they had. They all got sacked.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I don't entirely blame Erik for giving these players a chance. He's used the preseason and these opening games to assess them, and now he is fully justified to replace any of them with a number of potential replacements. He's seen how shite they are for himself. I'm sceptical that we will actually go out and get the players needed, because recent history tells us that we are not amazing during the transfer window.
He could have asked the previous coach for his thoughts and watch some of the games back last year? The one game he turned in we got smashed too! The Villa game was a clear warning sign too.

Why does it take this long for a manager to form an opinion on something that's clear as day for almost everyone in football that has watched this team for more than 3 games?

It's overrating of his own ability as a manager, falling on that false 2nd place finish and falling for hype of certain players in the team.

R'hllor

It would cost a large amount of money, probably a lot more than the budget allows. Can't be having that.
Well kinda depends, young unproven hungry players would cost less and would be on lower wages, we probably would watch similar drivel but at least you know they aint earning 100k a week, they would probably show more fight and desire even if they lack quality. Any scenario is better than not removing overpaid bunch of feckers, the whole lot of them.

mu4c_20le

Bingo. Obviously the players shoulder most of the blame for the scoreline, but the tactics weren't very convincing either. Won't be surprised if he goes 3 back against the scousers.

crossy1686

career ending
"Convince them to join"

Not so reassuring. That's what you become when you wait for so long in transfer window.
Not a single person wants to play for this shit show and I don't blame them. We ruin good players careers because we play them alongside players who should be in the Championship.

Ricardo de la Vega

There was a tweet that said there was belief in the squad that some of the squad don't think they are good enough to be there and it shows.

We desperately need a keeper to put a light under De Gea's ass.
This does at least explain why ETH was bigging them up in pre-season trying to salvage some morale.

MiceOnMeth

He probably believed (like LVG) that he could get a tune out of the underperformers but now realizes they are lost causes

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I really don't know. PSG just signed Vintinha and Sanchez for like £40m. Plus they're in for Ruiz for like £25. That's not much more than what we spent on Martinez.

If we had a world class Sporting Director like say, I dunno, Ralf Rangnick, I reckoned we could get close to 10 players well within budget. Instead we've got John Murtough, overseen by Richard Arnold, neither of whom are close to world class football thinkers.

Von Mistelroum

Well we've been trying to convince one player all summer and he really isn't interested. Maybe try to convince some players who might fancy it.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Sancho looked great in preseason where did that go? Martial great in preseason now injured. Rashford great in preseason, not looks completely disinterested. Ronaldo end of last season appeared to be no problem, then his agent whores him round every CL club in Europe. Barcelona being t*ts. I think he had a good idea where the problems lay and the club, yet again, promised the earth, but yet again are not doing what they should to give the manager a good chance. They can't sell the players, they know they can't sell the players, unless they do he will not get all he wants. That is due to mismanagement for years. We have average players on elite players wages. An elite wage will not turn an average player into an elite one.
I agree with the fact that our club's strategy has been a disaster in terms of quality of players/transfer fees/wages. The ratio is just upside down.

But pre-season games don't matter at all IMO. There is no intensity, no pace, no pressing, no fouls and nothing to play for. Nobody would disturb our precious build from the back. It seems that our good pre-season was only the disaster masked as the fairy-tale.
The real games are the ones against Brighton and Brentford and those are the real Sancho and Rashford and Martial I'm sure would of been no different.

I would have loved to see some statement from ETH where some regulars from the past would of been sold or if not, at least dropped entirely, out of the team. That would have shown something.
When Ole came, he dropped and sold Fellaini, right away.
When Jose came he quickly got rid of Schneiderlin, Depay, McNair, Januzaj from the LVG era