ETH: "We need new players and quality players. We will try and convince them to join." | Mirror: ETH believes FDJ will join Utd over Chelsea

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Hm, when Jose blamed players "he was throwing them under the bus". Now, it doesn't look like that, isn't it?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Well kinda depends, young unproven hungry players would cost less and would be on lower wages, we probably would watch similar drivel but at least you know they aint earning 100k a week, they would probably show more fight and desire even if they lack quality. Any scenario is better than not removing overpaid bunch of feckers, the whole lot of them.
I agree players like Malacia are what is needed, but as soon as clubs know how desperate we are the price will now rocket.

mav_9me

By convince them he means pay them insane wages right? The United way!

Where was this in all summer? Why does it take a trashing for this to happen? It's all passive at this club.
That's why nothing will change. Even if we spend and get some decent players in, at best we will get top 4 in a couple of years. Nothing beyond that. You need huuuuuuuuge changes from the owners to the rest, to get competent people in charge. To first get a plan rather than take it week by week.

We are fecked. For the foreseeable future.

Tony247

While the fans always want to hear the blunt truth, it wouldn't be good for a new manager to come out like ralf did and say all of the squad is poor and needs massive changes. Its impossible to change the full team in one windows and to burn bridges with all the first team squad and make a fragile dressing room even worse would probably be the end of ten hag before it got started. Ten hag has always made it clear we need first team signings, quality that can improve us....he has done it without condemning our current players which i think was the smart move.
I get not condemning in public part. But then in transfer he and Murtough should have shown more urgency and shrewdness. Only Malacia looks promising. Eriksen had passed it when spurs sold him. He can be a sub max. Then martinez is wrong man in EPL. All three players were signed because ETH wanted them. He has to take responsibility and share the blame.

I still hope that ETH learns quickly and help improve the performance. I like him and give him a better squad he can be really good.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He probably believed (like LVG) that he could get a tune out of the underperformers but now realizes they are lost causes
And we (as with LVG) lost precious few months. I don't know how that can happen to proven managers. We are just a fans (so we know shit about foorball :wenger: ) but we all knew that many of playersare not good enough. We all knew that McFred can't play in his system, that Maguire can't play high line, that Dalot is liability etc....

mu4c_20le

Hm, when Jose blamed players "he was throwing them under the bus". Now, it doesn't look like that, isn't it?
He didn't throw them under the bus. We had a bunch of players leave and only replaced half of them. He's still waiting for the Pogba replacement.

DomesticTadpole

I agree with the fact that our club's strategy has been a disaster in terms of quality of players/transfer fees/wages. The ratio is just upside down.

But pre-season games don't matter at all IMO. There is no intensity, no pace, no pressing, no fouls and nothing to play for. Nobody would disturb our precious build from the back. It seems that our good pre-season was only the disaster masked as the fairy-tale.
The real games are the ones against Brighton and Brentford and those are the real Sancho and Rashford and Martial I'm sure would of been no different.

I would have loved to see some statement from ETH where some regulars from the past would of been sold or if not, at least dropped entirely, out of the team. That would have shown something.
When Ole came, he dropped and sold Fellaini, right away.
When Jose came he quickly got rid of Schneiderlin, Depay, McNair, Januzaj from the LVG era
I mentioned elsewhere that I think we were being polite to Ajax when every man and his dog knew he was coming. Like City we should have had a DOF he would work with, and start the planning. If ETH did not want a DOF he has misjudged just how incompetent this club can be. This is no longer a well oiled machine like the past or like Ajax.

Elcabron

There is still time but barely. Close out Rabiot (he will have to do) sign Kaylor Navas on laon from PSG, drop DDG for good. Fingers crossed FDJ signs, and for the love of Christ sign a right back. That should be enough to keep him in a job for now...maybe

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Let's be honest, if you're a top player with choices why would you come and join this shitshow of a club? Besides the awful form, the drama around the club alone would put me off.

Dannn411

New players is just one side of the equation. Its also getting rid of the existing mess here. It is time to realise that there can also be addition by subtraction and cut our losses on some of these players. I'd put De Gea, Fred, Mctom, Bruno, Maguire and AWB all up for sale and i'd accept £25-30m for Fred, Bruno and Maguire and 10-15m for Mctom, De Gea and AWB. Someone will bite on at least one of these deals.

And instead of two midfielders, i'd be pushing for 3 mids this window and a right back and a right winger.

Tony247

Not a single person wants to play for this shit show and I don't blame them. We ruin good players careers because we play them alongside players who should be in the Championship.
Young and promising players will surely play for united. Need to find those hungry players early before even transfer window opens. But that's too much to expect from united management.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Honestly the rot started years ago when we first started handing huge contracts out like candy and signing a bunch of players with no real plan, but it was masked by hot streaks and individual quality at different times that saved results. Now we aren’t getting those same top performances as the players are instead asked to play within a system, and each one of them is being exposed as frauds

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I agree players like Malacia are what is needed, but as soon as clubs know how desperate we are the price will now rocket.
Yes but I think we should still go after these types of players. It's not only a physical thing, we need players who give a shit. They might not be the most talented, but these are the type of players we need right now. Look at Malacia today? Had the right attitude. We need to start there with our recruitment.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That's why nothing will change. Even if we spend and get some decent players in, at best we will get top 4 in a couple of years. Nothing beyond that. You need huuuuuuuuge changes from the owners to the rest, to get competent people in charge. To first get a plan rather than take it week by week.

We are fecked. For the foreseeable future.
I actually have no hope, as depressing as that sounds. We could go another 20 years without a league win, or more. Only change will come when these leeches of owners sell, but they're too comfortable at this club so that won't happen any time soon and no one will come in and make a huge to force them out. Zero hope for me

DomesticTadpole

Yes but I think we should still go after these types of players. It's not only a physical thing, we need players who give a shit. They might not be the most talented, but these are the type of players we need right now. Look at Malacia today? Had the right attitude. We need to start there with our recruitment.
I agree, love rooting for this type of player, not ones who have just come to see out their career.

Sir Hag de Ten

Two competent midfielders and a right back will transform this team. Bin Shaw, Dalot and Rashford.

wr8_utd

:'(
There is still time but barely. Close out Rabiot (he will have to do) sign Kaylor Navas on laon from PSG, drop DDG for good. Fingers crossed FDJ signs, and for the love of Christ sign a right back. That should be enough to keep him in a job for now...maybe
He's going to Napoli.

R'hllor

Yea because we still aproach whole thing as a top club, this might sound weird and crazy but with Glazers at helm, we can try to sell story about being broke and try feeder/selling club shtick, % on next sale here, % there. Buy plenty on low before they jump to middle club and try to develop into something, even developing aint our thing either, actually right now, nothing is.

mav_9me

I actually have no hope, as depressing as that sounds. We could go another 20 years without a league win, or more. Only change will come when these leeches of owners sell, but they're too comfortable at this club so that won't happen any time soon and no one will come in and make a huge to force them out. Zero hope for me
Exact same place. My only hope comes from if we are so bad that we end up in a relegation battle. The outcry with that might make them sell.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He didn't throw them under the bus. We had a bunch of players leave and only replaced half of them. He's still waiting for the Pogba replacement.
He blamed the players for today. Don't get me wrong; he is absolutely right and i am all for that approach

DomesticTadpole

Yea because we still aproach whole thing as a top club, this might sound weird and crazy but with Glazers at helm, we can try to sell story about being broke and try feeder/selling club shtick, % on next sale here, % there. Buy plenty on low before they jump to middle club and try to develop into something, even developing aint our thing either, actually right now, nothing is.
Think post SAF buying players to develop didn't work as we just didn't have managers or coaches to do it. Thought LVG might, but he seemed to have lost the will to do it any longer. Jose was never going to no matter what guff he came out with. Ole just wanted to keep his job and any kids that were used was more down to needs than any policy he had.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
My god still banging on about Jose :lol: I suppose some truly never get over their first love.
What are you talking about? We can't even mention him anymore without being accused for something? Just stating that blaming players is not bad thing to do when they deserve it (and fans attacked Jose back then for it).

And he is my second love.....Fergie is Fergie :wenger:

ForeverRed1

I can’t believe how late they are leaving this to be saying it. 3 weeks left of window, 2 losses in already and liverpool next. We got a Ronaldo who wants to leave (will be even more so now) maguire is still captain, starting and playing lots of minutes; we’re desperate to keep rashford. Chucking Martinez in at the deep end, playing Erikson out of position. Starting shaw over new signing malacia.. We need 3 or 4 levels up from this calibre. Next week I hope he starts Eriksen as a 10 and plays some of the younger players like garnacho. I was at the friendly against Rayo and every time he got the ball he lifted the crowd. Why not give him a go. It can’t be worse than this lot surely ? Can’t keep sticking to the same crap and expecting different results.

dal

Seeing all this makes me appreciate solskjaer even more. Two top 4 finishes with this lot, minor feckin miracle.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I mentioned elsewhere that I think we were being polite to Ajax when every man and his dog knew he was coming. Like City we should have had a DOF he would work with, and start the planning. If ETH did not want a DOF he has misjudged just how incompetent this club can be. This is no longer a well oiled machine like the past or like Ajax.
Unfortunately, City already had Begiristain for a number of years before Guardiola arrived and also, how convenient, they worked together at Barcelona as well for some time. We should of hired a competed DOF a long time ago, when SAF left, bringing a fresh one at the same time with the new manager would of given us 2 clueless people in charge instead of one.
In most cases of successful clubs, City, Barcelona, Real, Bayern the people in charge remain the same for a long time and they are usually ex-players suited to the role. This way, the transition with the new manager is swift and helps to oil things.

crossy1686

career ending
Young and promising players will surely play for united. Need to find those hungry players early before even transfer window opens. But that's too much to expect from united management.
Like who? Bellingham? Sesko? Raphina? De Jong? They have way better options than us with much less chance of becoming the next Sancho

DomesticTadpole

Unfortunately, City already had Begiristain for a number of years before Guardiola arrived and also, how convenient, they worked together at Barcelona as well for some time. We should of hired a competed DOF a long time ago, when SAF left, bringing a fresh one at the same time with the new manager would of given us 2 clueless people in charge instead of one.
In most cases of successful clubs, City, Barcelona, Real, Bayern the people in charge remain the same for a long time and they are usually ex-players suited to the role. This way, the transition with the new manager is swift and helps to oil things.
We have made some horrendous mistakes which is why we are in a mess.

dove

Let's be honest, if you're a top player with choices why would you come and join this shitshow of a club? Besides the awful form, the drama around the club alone would put me off.
Well, there is a reason we pay ridiculous wages. I would assume the players are asking the same questions until they get a pile of cash thrown at them.

Fluctuation0161

Didn’t he say he was happy with the quality the other day? He wanted to learn it a hard way by giving these players a clean slate this summer.
No manager would come into a club and slate the players on day 1. It would be counter productive.