737 Max - Boeing grounds the fleet after second crash | Production temporarily suspended

pjaya

Seems lots of countries have ban or grounded the plane at the moment
Singapore, malaysia, aust, china, indonesia have all ban the flight coming into or out of the countries and grounded these Boeing

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Did you read it?

Even after indicating that we don't know exactly what brought down the Lion Air flight and that we don't know anything about this crash, he tries to tie in Air France to this. This dipshit even admits he knows nothing about what brought down the Air Ethiopia flight at the close of the article.

You're an educator, Caroline, if a student presented a hypothesis to you and offered absolutely feck all in the way of supporting evidence, only conjecture, you'd give them a failing grade. This is exactly like anti-vaxxers. No evidence, just my feels.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Sweet Caroline. Tah, tah, tah!
Couldn’t resist. ;)
I see Norwegian has stopped the 737 maxes too, and UK won’t allow them in their airspace.

Carolina Red

Staff
Did you read it?

Even after indicating that we don't know exactly what brought down the Lion Air flight and that we don't know anything about this crash, he tries to tie in Air France to this. This dipshit even admits he knows nothing about what brought down the Air Ethiopia flight at the close of the article.

You're an educator, Caroline, if a student presented a hypothesis to you and offered absolutely feck all in the way of supporting evidence, only conjecture, you'd give them a failing grade. This is exactly like anti-vaxxers. No evidence, just my feels.
1) Carolina

2) It's clearly giving an early opinion as to a design flaw that may have played a part in both crashes. Hence the use of the word "may" in the title.

I wouldn't have given the person a failing grade if what I'd asked them to write was a piece that offered a possible explanation to an unknown, which is exactly what that article is. It has 2 whole paragraphs about the design of the plane and how that could have led to these crashes because of compensations done for moving the wing.

No clue how you're tying that in to the anti-vax movement, which states opinion as definite fact, instead of clearly indicating what it is from as early as the title.

Carolina Red

Staff
There's also this line...
According to a preliminary report, it was this system that apparently led to the Lion Air crash.
Which is clearly what is driving the speculation that a design flaw of the plane is leading to the crashes.

Dr. Dwayne

Again... it sets out from the title that it is an opinion piece. It makes it obvious that it is speculation.

Is there some kind of ban on that that I don't know about?
You know what people are like, man. They're going to take that as fact. Post the link to their Twitter or Facebook and it grows from there. I'm free to call shit shit when I see it. I'm not shooting the messenger here.

If I'm to believe any of that Slate article, there are 350 of those planes in operation, making two flights a day. That means in the five months between the two crashes this aircraft model has made between 98,000 - 105,000 flights without incident but we're supposed to question it's airworthiness over two crashes? I'm not sure the suggestion is responsible. People have enough anxiety over flying as it is.

MTF

You know what people are like, man. They're going to take that as fact. Post the link to their Twitter or Facebook and it grows from there. I'm free to call shit shit when I see it. I'm not shooting the messenger here.

If I'm to believe any of that Slate article, there are 350 of those planes in operation, making two flights a day. That means in the five months between the two crashes this aircraft model has made between 98,000 - 105,000 flights without incident but we're supposed to question it's airworthiness over two crashes? I'm not sure the suggestion is responsible. People have enough anxiety over flying as it is.
Statistically it's still very safe. And also statistically it's significantly less safe than other models.

Carolina Red

Staff
Can you tell me why you're deliberately misquoting the article there?
I copied and pasted straight from it...

Instead, it took the second and more economical route and upgraded the previous iteration. Boeing swapped out the engines for new models, which, together with airframe tweaks, promised a 20 percent increase in fuel efficiency. In order to accommodate the engine’s larger diameter, Boeing engineers had to move the point where the plane attaches to the wing. This, in turn, affected the way the plane handled. Most alarmingly, it left the plane with a tendency to pitch up, which could result in a dangerous aerodynamic stall. To prevent this, Boeing added a new autopilot system that would pitch the nose down if it looked like it was getting too high. According to a preliminary report, it was this system that apparently led to the Lion Air crash.

If Boeing had designed a new plane from scratch, it wouldn’t have had to resort to this kind of kludge. It could have designed the airframe for the engines so that the pitch-up tendency did not exist.

Dr. Dwayne

I copied and pasted straight from it...
Apologies, I got it confused with this one from earlier in the article.

a preliminary report suggests that the pilots failed to respond correctly after a faulty sensor led the autopilot to put the plane into a steep dive.
Lack of clarity in that piece takes away from it further.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Damn....I just flew SouthWest two days ago. I'll have to plan accordingly in the future.

Last edited:

Abizzz

Banned from German airspace now too. Can't help but feel it's an easy way to get one over Trump for most of the world. Can't believe the FAA/NTSB would let it fly within the US if there were design problems anyone knows of. (I wouldn't want to fly in one though).

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

I would like to cosign the phenomenon of air travel being very susceptible to the availability heuristic, where people's notions of air travel safety are colored by the rare yet visible accidents displayed over the media, while the near 100% majority of flights take off and land without incident and publicity.

I have no problem with planes being grounded within standard protocol. It would be a shame if planes are being grounded "just in case"... there is a negative impact these groundings may have on business and personal affairs.

Didn't they say pilot training in the Lion Air crash was the issue, not the plane itself or was it a faulty sensor?
Seems inconceivable that it still could have pilots not fully trained on the plane's automatic functions, or that the sensors on all aircraft weren't fixed.
Sort of. Preliminary findings so far, but it looks like the issue on the Lionair flight was caused by a piece of automation software. A particularly skilled pilot could supposedly recover it but that's not exactly a comfort for everyone else where many airlines are rushing pilots through to meet demand.

This latest crash shares some key hallmarks; a loss of altitude control around 5 to 10 minutes into the flight.

Banned from German airspace now too. Can't help but feel it's an easy way to get one over Trump for most of the world. Can't believe the FAA/NTSB would let it fly within the US if there were design problems anyone knows of. (I wouldn't want to fly in one though).
We're about to see exactly how in bed the government/FAA is with US industry now. It'll be grounded pretty much everywhere else by nightfall. Let's see how long it takes them to follow suit.

ghagua

Very tragic. Seems like the issue is with Boeing and the model of the aircraft. Hopefully people who are affected can sue the crap out o Boeing.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I'm an interview on CNN the Ethiopian Airlines CEO threw Boeing under the bus.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Did you read it?

So you are saying its normal for two fatal hull losses for a brand new plane within 5 months? Why would you NOT be overly careful? Id rather have conjecture than a fecking death trap plane!

Ramshock

Boeing has a huge lobbying presence. Its got feck all to do with Trump.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
So you are saying its normal for two fatal hull losses for a brand new plane within 5 months? Why would you NOT be overly careful? Id rather have conjecture than a fecking death trap plane!
It's not normal, so investigation is needed. I think a worldwide grounding is too extreme. Let's not forget the amount of successful flights that have occurred to date. Calling it a death trap is hyperbole

Ramshock

SouthWest were brilliant the handful of times I've used them
It seems from what I read that SW as the launch customer had a lot of input into the commonality directives when the plane was designed ie dont make it so different that we have to pay to retrain our pilots. So Boeing with such a huge order from SW had to shoehorn new technology to make the planes more efficient but into the older frame/instrument layout design. Thats why the engines were moved forward and the whole problem with nose pitching up started. This software thats in question was put in place solely for this reason. Its madness.

Ramshock

It's not normal, so investigation is needed. I think a worldwide grounding is too extreme. Let's not forget the amount of successful flights that have occurred to date. Calling it a death trap is hyperbole
Its not hyperbole when you are trapped in an uncontrollable plane and then you die is it? Yes theres been plenty of successful flights but you cant start playing with percentages when it comes to human lives.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Yeah, don't groundings typically originate from the NTSB when there is actual evidence of a significant fault? This seems like anti-vaxxers meets air travel, grounding by Twitter type stuff. Let those who have the knowledge and expertise make that decision. Symptom of the age we live in, I guess.
The first country to ground was China, a country least likely to cater to any social media storm given they can just quell it easily. I doubt UK or Oz banned it due to any hysteria either. I saw an excellent comment on reddit stating that confidence on aviation is based on proving that it is safe and not on the premise that it can't proven that it is not safe. Have also read others commenting that if the said crash had happened in US, they would have grounded the fleet by now.

Dr. Dwayne

So you are saying its normal for two fatal hull losses for a brand new plane within 5 months? Why would you NOT be overly careful? Id rather have conjecture than a fecking death trap plane
No. I'm saying that claiming both crashes have the same root cause is premature and not based on empirical evidence.

From a risk based view, grounding these aircraft now is based solely on impact to the airlines from legal and reputational risk and doesn't consider the likelihood, which is extremely low (2 in 100k low). To me this shows that the decision is being fluenced by people who have no business determining the cause of an airplane crash.

Ramshock

No. I'm saying that claiming both crashes have the same root cause is premature and not based on empirical evidence.

From a risk based view, grounding these aircraft now is based solely on impact to the airlines from legal and reputational risk and doesn't consider the likelihood, which is extremely low (2 in 100k low). To me this shows that the decision is being fluenced by people who have no business determining the cause of an airplane crash.
Early evidence from what I heard, albeit inconclusive, is that the pilot complained about lack of control of the plane and wanted to return. I would be very surprised if it wasnt the same issue as the Lion Air plane.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I'm a scared flyer have been since a rocky one. Booked on Tui in July so that will be a nervous one for me now whatever the findings. Ideally I'd like the Mr. T treatment. It won't stop me going but the 2 weeks before I do some really odd superstitious shit. Even not opening threads like this will be one of them. It's my biggest fear and will never go away it actually stops me going to more places even though I've done America a couple of times

Anyway RIP all those poor people and thinking of their families.

Dr. Dwayne

Early evidence from what I heard, albeit inconclusive, is that the pilot complained about lack of control of the plane and wanted to return. I would be very surprised if it wasnt the same issue as the Lion Air plane.
It may well be but we don't know that for certain.