EU citizen vote on shark finning ban

tombombadil

The EU is having a citizen vote on whether to ban shark finning. Please do share and vote if you can. Some countries like Republic of Ireland and Italy are still only halfway there.

Objectives
Although the removal of fins on board of EU vessels and in EU waters is prohibited and sharks must be landed with their fins naturally attached, the EU is among the biggest exporters of fins and a major transit hub for the global fin trade.
EU is a major player in the exploitation of sharks and as inspections at sea are scarce fins are still illegally retained, transshipped, or landed in EU.

We aim to end the trade of fins in the EU including the import, export and transit of fins other than if naturally attached to the animal’s body.

As finning prevents effective shark conservation measures, we request to extend REGULATION (EU) No 605/2013 also to the trade of fins and therefore ask the commission to develop a new regulation, extending “fins naturally attached” to all trading of sharks and rays in the EU.

https://eci.ec.europa.eu/012/public/#/screen/home

Not sure if appropriate here. Please feel free to remove, if it isn't.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Come on the I countries, don't be twats.

0le

Disgraceful that this even needs a debate. Just ban the fecking practice already.

Tarrou

anyone see that Seaspiracy doco on Netflix?

they showed a clip of some sharks on the seabed just flopping around because they couldn't swim, they'd had their fins removed and thrown back in alive

unbelievable cruelty

tombombadil

Good luck. It's the right thing to do.
Thank you

How is this even a debate? :(
i know, right?

Disgraceful that this even needs a debate. Just ban the fecking practice already.
Yeah, I wish life were that simple

Thanks for sharing. Have signed and spammed all my whatsapp chats with the link.
Thank you

Insane.

ta for posting.
Thank you

Done, thanks for sharing.
Thank you

Withnail

Thanks for sharing @tombombadil

It’s mad how so few people are killed by sharks every year when you think of how many people swim and surf in sharky sports. We kill 100 million of them a year and they harm so so few humans. They are very intelligent and misunderstood
More people are killed by Vending machines each year than Sharks ffs

Fingeredmouse

No, not this time :lol:

They fall on them apparently. I'm not exactly sure of the veracity of this claim but the internet told me it was true.
Nonetheless, vending machines are much maligned, just like sharks. As Spielberg's classic movie "Jaws" created a false impression of sharks, the 90s classic "Vend it like Peckhams" also damaged the image of these largely harmless product dispensers through their portrayal as ruthless killing machines.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal

They fall on them apparently. I'm not exactly sure of the veracity of this claim but the internet told me it was true.
I once read cows kill more people than sharks.

tombombadil

Is this even an issue amongst EU nations? Shocking if so
Apparently the EU is a major exporter to asian countries. The vote closes end of this month and still not enough votes. And not enough countries (Min 7 must past the min vote threshold. Currently at 6)

Haha okies. Then I shall take it as I read it on the caf, therefore it must be true. :D :D

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
It’s mad how so few people are killed by sharks every year when you think of how many people swim and surf in sharky sports. We kill 100 million of them a year and they harm so so few humans. They are very intelligent and misunderstood
There's a fella on youtube who films the waters around malibu with his drone. Got some great footage. The surprising thing is how all the surfers don't realise how many sharks are near them all the time. The sharks though are not interested.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
There's a fella on youtube who films the waters around malibu with his drone. Got some great footage. The surprising thing is how all the surfers don't realise how many sharks are near them all the time. The sharks though are not interested.
Can you link it?

:lol:

They just like resting their jaws on peoples' legs.