Euro 2016: and the winner is...

nick2004

Who is going to win it all?

Right now, after a week of football, I'd pick the usual suspects: Italy or Germany.

My third choice would be Spain.

I don't see any other teams with serious aspirations... England and Portugal are the usual underachievers. France is playing at home, but they don't seem strong enough. None of the smaller teams is compact/serious/focused/talented to produce an upset.

Do you see any other teams challenging?

Brown Toothpick

Supports
FC Barcelona
Italy? They've been dire. I'd say France will pull it off in the end, reaching the finals at the very least.

devil in me

Italy? They've been dire. I'd say France will pull it off in the end, reaching the finals at the very least.
Eh? They put in probably the best performance of the tournament so far V Belgium (you could only really put Spain yesterday as an argument).

For me, Spain look ominous. Would probably pick them now.

Xoxo Gossip boy

There's something special about the English national team. They seem to have gotten it right this time. I really do think they'll go all the way.

nick2004

Italy won both games and they have progressed already. Traditionally, Italy is very hard to beat. More so in knock-out games. Sometimes their problem is that they have too many internal conflicts, players feuding with each other. This particular team does not seem to have such issues. On the contrary, they seem to be passionate! So, they are my first pick.

Germany is always a serious contender. They have a winning mentality. They are my second pick.

For any other team to beat those two, they need high player quality and a fighting spirit. Does Spain or France have enough quality? I am not so sure...

JamesB__

Supports
Stoke City
Spain unfortunately. They're unbeatable and don't seem to have a weakness now Del Bosque has found his sanity with his goalkeeper selection.

Vashu

Predicted Sanchez's signing announcement
Italy won both games and they have progressed already. Traditionally, Italy is very hard to beat. More so in knock-out games. Sometimes their problem is that they have too many internal conflicts, players feuding with each other. This particular team does not seem to have such issues. On the contrary, they seem to be passionate! So, they are my first pick.

Germany is always a serious contender. They have a winning mentality. They are my second pick.

For any other team to beat those two, they need high player quality and a fighting spirit. Does Spain or France have enough quality? I am not so sure...
I hope Conte won't insist with playing Pelle and Eder up front. It was horrific show against Sweden until Zaza was introduced.

Spain and France are my candidates.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Yeah I always look at the Italians squad beforehand and weigh them up against the other big ones and dismiss them easily but they're always there and surprise when people don't give them chance. After the first round of games, I have to say their game against Belgium was the best all round team performance for me, proper professional display they put on. I missed their game against Sweden, but it didn't surprise me they went on to grind out a win.

But I'd tip Spain to retain it again. I just think they've got players from all over the park to create and score goals. Players like Pique, Ramos are on the end of set-pieces and I think someone like Morata will end up top-goalscorer.

Impulse

France, Germany and Italy will all likely be in the same side of the draw. Spain should have a relatively straightforward route to the final, so I'll go with them.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Italy are really nothing special.

You can't look past Spain, they'll face off against Germany in the final imo. France has looked far from great but has the home advantage and anything can happen in a knockout system of course.

Flying_Heckfish

France, Germany, Italy and Spain are the big hitters going into the tourney and they are all looking good so far.

France and Germany are still trying to find that magic first XI, but their pool of players is pretty good. Just a question of finding it.

Italy are a team, but lacking in top quality. Spain are Spain, pretty tedious to watch but effective.

I just hope for an open, exciting final - Germany vs France if at all possible would be ideal. Italy vs Spain would be the nightmare I reckon.

Zoo

Spain for me. Recent big match performances of Ramos in the CL and Iniesta in the Copa reinforced my belief in them. Not impressed by Germany and Italy lack quality. France have home advantage and are also contenders.

Really think England could make a statement if Hodgson gets his selection and tactics right but I doubt he will.

Reddevilboy

Supports
Brexit
There's something special about the English national team. They seem to have gotten it right this time. I really do think they'll go all the way.
I'm English and my dad once said to me that we will never win anything in our lifetime 10 years ago during the 2006 World Cup and his words have stuck with me ever since.

El Zoido

I'm not seeing it. England are decent but then you watch Spain and they're clearly a class above.

Dinghy

I think Croatia has looked good so far, minus the last 10 minutes of yesterdays game. That midfield can take them far.

Ban

I think Croatia has looked good so far, minus the last 10 minutes of yesterdays game. That midfield can take them far.
Yeah but that 10, 15 didn't look good. We have yet to see how we deal with better teams with all due respect to Turkey and Czechs.
We don't have a proper DM in the team which is a big mistake so when we have a lead to sub him in or start with one. Yesterday Modrić went out and in came Kovačić who's in poor form and our game wasn't that good from on then.
Also there's potential expulsion from the tournament...

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
1. Spain
2. France
3. Italy
4. Germany

These are the only for ones in it for me. Germany always fail in the second group have, so that should be no surprise. Italy are at their most dangerous when they are flailing about like a giant magicarp. France have quality. Spain have quality in abundance.

pseudo_canadian

1. Spain
2. France
3. Italy
4. Germany

These are the only for ones in it for me. Germany always fail in the second group have, so that should be no surprise. Italy are at their most dangerous when they are flailing about like a giant magicarp. France have quality. Spain have quality in abundance.
Same for me.

Would be surprised if it was any team other than those four, with Belgium being an exception I suppose.

Xoxo Gossip boy

I'm not seeing it. England are decent but then you watch Spain and they're clearly a class above.
Its a marathon not a sprint. Most eventual winners of tournaments start slow and a bit shaky. You do not judge a book by its cover.

England might not be as classy as the Spanish, as efficient as the Italians or as slick as the French and Germans, but it just takes a little bit of determination and belief to go all the way. Remember Leicester? Greece 2004?

I predicted Germany would win the World Cup and I was right. This time around, I've seen in England what I saw in Germany.

PS: I'm not English by the way :)

Mr Smith

Spain are looking a pretty good shout to me. They're not at their best, but their ability to keep the ball just makes them so difficult to play against, you're looking at getting only one or two real chances against them in an entire match.

Regarding England: I wouldn't rule them out. That match against Wales is the sort of result that can really help a team kick on, and they have played some of the best football in the tournament so far. Do think the overall youth in their squad could see them bottle it at a crucial moment though.

Unless Croatia beat Spain and top the group, they have a ridiculously difficult run to the final, likely to play all of Italy, Germany and France. Can't see it happening for them (and this is assuming they don't get disqualified).

Lurpak99

Buttered up
Spain are looking a pretty good shout to me. They're not at their best, but their ability to keep the ball just makes them so difficult to play against, you're looking at getting only one or two real chances against them in an entire match.
And that's why I think they'll win it. There doesn't seem to be a team like Holland at the World Cup, who can rip them apart on the counter, Italy is the only team I can see being smart enough to beat them somehow. France and Germany will struggle being out of possession for long periods, which they aren't used to.

Vashu

Predicted Sanchez's signing announcement
Regarding England: I wouldn't rule them out. That match against Wales is the sort of result that can really help a team kick on, and they have played some of the best football in the tournament so far. Do think the overall youth in their squad could see them bottle it at a crucial moment though.
They've played great football but only in the first half against Russia and that was without end product. Game against Wales was dreadful. It was probably one of the most boring matchups next to Germany vs Poland, Sweden vs Italy and Austria vs Hungary.

England could actually win the tournament as I don't see any 'imperial' team. Spain look the strongest but they've got weak points that can be exploited. Thing is that playing Rooney in midfield as supposed 'midfield general' will kill those hopes. This tactical kludge arguably(sic!) did the trick, but will be found out against better teams. Pity, cause small changes would strengthen England by a lot.

Acole9

Outstanding
Spain have looked the best so far although they've only played Czech Republic and Turkey who have both been poor.

Reddevilboy

Supports
Brexit
And that's why I think they'll win it. There doesn't seem to be a team like Holland at the World Cup, who can rip them apart on the counter, Italy is the only team I can see being smart enough to beat them somehow. France and Germany will struggle being out of possession for long periods, which they aren't used to.
This is why I feel it's such a shame that Holland didn't manage to qualify for the Euros. Not sure what went wrong with their qualifying campaign, considering it's a relatively weak group. They would have done really well in this Euro and I'd have tipped them to win it too.

Seeing that many of you are tipping Spain to win it, they better not and I certainly hope they don't win the Euro. If they do, it's a guarantee De Gea will go to Madrid.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Not sure what you've been watching.

The late goals have me thinking France's name is already on the trophy with everything that's gone on in th country this past year.

Spain, Italy and although they collapsed this week I still see Croatia going far

Looking forward to that Spain v Croatia match

saivet

Not sure what you've been watching.

The late goals have me thinking France's name is already on the trophy with everything that's gone on in th country this past year.

Spain, Italy and although they collapsed this week I still see Croatia going far

Looking forward to that Spain v Croatia match
On France, it might be a case that the first decent team they play will knock them out.

Suv666

Italy have been brilliant. Well managed and tactically sound but they just dont have the individual quality needed.
My pick would be France, they have not been as dominant as I expected them to be but France do have a lot of quality, on their day players like Pogba, Greizmann and Martial can tear defences apart.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
No white text?

Spain and Italy looked strongest to me. France will always be among the favourites as long as they remain in the tournament, because of the home advantage.