Euro 2016: and the winner is...

Reddevilboy

Supports
Brexit
Why is everyone so confident that Spain will win? It was only 2 years ago they were embarrassed at the World Cup. Looking at their current squad for this Euro, it's pretty much the same as the WC 2014 squad minus the goalkeeper and striker. They are in a relatively easy group. Turkey and Czech Republic were never going to trouble them and even then, it took them a last minute goal to beat Czech. I'll see how they play against Croatia before getting carried away.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
It would be funny to see Island winning the Euro but it won't happen :(

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Have to say, although I thought they were candidates to flop, Spain look good and I'd install them as favourites I think at this point. They've always been brilliant on the ball, but rather easy to defend against and then susceptible to conceding soft goals. I feel like perhaps the warm-up friendlies like Georgia, they've sort of got that out their system though and recognised the need to tighten up. They've been even better in possession than I would have thought but also with Morata and Nolito they appear to have some end product now and look like they can score goals. Iniesta has really stepped up aswell and is pulling the strings beautifully at the moment.

We'll see when they come up against a team who are strong, pacey and powerful both on the defensive side of the ball and on the counter-attack though. France v Spain would be a really great clash in my opinion and one I hope we see in this tournament.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
There's something special about the English national team. They seem to have gotten it right this time. I really do think they'll go all the way.
Our first two performance has been anything but special. We have a great squad, but we seem to lack chemistry and/or tactical competency of France, Spain, Germany or Italy. I would be surprised if England won it, but anything can happen in football as seen with Leceister title win last season.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
The best teams are Spain & Germany. Deschamps is an extremely lucky coach so I think he can do it with France.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I don't think anyone is going to win it outside the five favorites. Like most have said it will be one of Spain, France, Iceland, Germany or Italy.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Italy were excellent against Belgium, but I do think they're lacking squad wise in comparison to some of the others big favourites. Could be like 2012 for them, where they get near to winning it but fall at the final hurdle.

France are a weird one. They undoubtedly have a very good team and are potential winners, yet they've come worryingly close to not winning any of their three games in what was a relatively easy group for them. You'd think they'll improve, but the fact that seem incapable of comfortably winning easier games stands against them.

Germany's a weird one too...again, they're World champions and have lots of quality, but from qualifying to the tournament they've often looked a bit off at times. Can't rule them out, but they don't look brilliant.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
There's something special about the English national team. They seem to have gotten it right this time. I really do think they'll go all the way.
Not really. It's a decent, spirited team, but I'd argue it's lacks genuine world class. I'm struggling to think of anyone in their side who'd rank in the world's top 20 players, or anywhere close, for example. Kane is possibly the sides best player, and while he's excellent, still wouldn't be considered by anyone to be anywhere near the world's best strikers.

Not to mention that results wise, England haven't been great. They drew to an embarrassingly bad Russia side, and scraped past an alright Wales one.

I suspect England's tournament will be like they always tend to be...last 16 or quarter finals, with the semis if they do very well. There isn't enough quality to win it, and I don't see a side with enough spirit to produce a surprise. Could happen, granted, but seems unlikely.

Why is everyone so confident that Spain will win? It was only 2 years ago they were embarrassed at the World Cup. Looking at their current squad for this Euro, it's pretty much the same as the WC 2014 squad minus the goalkeeper and striker. They are in a relatively easy group. Turkey and Czech Republic were never going to trouble them and even then, it took them a last minute goal to beat Czech. I'll see how they play against Croatia before getting carried away.
Bad tournaments happen, especially in the group format. Spain went out early in 2014, but it was mostly due to two bad games...which can happen to any team if they're a bit off, or in a bad patch. Italy won the 2006 WC despite going out in the groups of Euro 2004, while Spain won in 08 despite going out in the groups in 04.

I don't think this Spain side is anywhere near their best, but there's still more than enough quality to match just about anyone else in the tournament...especially when the other two favourites haven't been completely convincing themselves.

Needham

If they want to, Spain can simply wander off with this tournament. Any doubts they may have had about keeping the Barcelona-based verve going for one more competition will be being dispelled by the timid, training ground play we're seeing in match after match.

CLARiiON

Mes que un Gloryhunter
Supports
Barcelona
Spain, Italy looked good so far. France didn't do enough for me so far, and their defence look suspect. Spain and Italy have amazing defence. Germany looks disjointed for some reason, maybe too many similar type of players.

Reddevilboy

Supports
Brexit
Does anyone think that there will be a new winner i.e any teams not France, Germany, Italy, Spain? Belgium is the closest that come to my mind but I feel they lack the team work and mentality to go far.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Does anyone think that there will be a new winner i.e any teams not France, Germany, Italy, Spain? Belgium is the closest that come to my mind but I feel they lack the team work and mentality to go far.
I'd still lean to one of the big boys but due to the lack of a dominant favourite, it's certainly a Euros where an unsuspecting winner would be more likely to occur. Belgium probably wouldn't fit into that unsuspecting category though because they have enough quality to be considered among the better teams anyway.

saivet

If Spain win their group, their likely route to the final looks nice R16: 3rd place team, QF: Swiss/Poland, SF: Belgium/Wales

welshwingwizard

If Wales do well with injuries I reckon you could see a Leicester/Greece style win.

A couple of in form talented players surrounded by work horses and a good team spirit.

Similarly to Leicester they look like a unit whilst the bigger countries look like a group of individuals stuck together.

I'm calling it now.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
If Wales do well with injuries I reckon you could see a Leicester/Greece style win.

A couple of in form talented players surrounded by work horses and a good team spirit.

Similarly to Leicester they look like a unit whilst the bigger countries look like a group of individuals stuck together.

I'm calling it now.
The only problem for us is that the defence is very fragile when put under sustained pressure, unlike Leicester. Hope I am wrong though.

saivet

I'm calling it now.
I think Wales might make the SF, but it will likely be against Spain. Think they'll get comfortably beaten by two or three.

CLARiiON

Mes que un Gloryhunter
Supports
Barcelona
Hard to think about Wales when you have Spain, Italy, Germany. These teams are loaded throughout and playing decent football.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
England have performed very well this tournament, surprised no one has really mentioned them as a serious contender. We didn't finish our chances but that's our only mistake. The bigger sides will give away more space and I'd back Vardy/Sturrdge in those predicaments as much as I'd back say Griezmann or Payet.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
England have performed very well this tournament, surprised no one has really mentioned them as a serious contender. We didn't finish our chances but that's our only mistake. The bigger sides will give away more space and I'd back Vardy/Sturrdge in those predicaments as much as I'd back say Griezmann or Payet.
We've played well, but we don't have the temperament to go the distance. Let me give you a list of European finals knockout games that England have won.

England's knockout victories at European Championship finals
Spain 0-0p England - Euro 96

Now a similar list for Germany

Germany's knockout victories at European Championship finals

Belgium 1-2 West Germany - Euro 1972
West Germany 3-0 Soviet Union - Euro 1972 (winners)
Yugoslavia 2-4 (a.e.t) West Germany - Euro 1976
Belgium 1-2 West Germany - Euro 1980 (winners)
Sweden 2-3 Germany - Euro 1992
Germany 2-1 Croatia - Euro 1996
Germany p1-1 England - Euro 1996
Czech Republic 1-2 (a.e.t) Germany - Euro 2096 (winners)
Portugal 2-3 Germany - Euro 2008
Germany 3-2 Turkey - Euro 2008
Germany 4-2 Greece - Euro 2012

Spain, Italy's and France's don't actually look that different (especially since 2008 for Spain)

England just don't have the mentality to do. We've seen it all before, England are going to throw it away.

I partially agree though, I think our squad right now might be better than the golden generation (except in defence).

Having said that, we have basically got no players who have been playing in the Champions League knockouts regularly for the last 3 years.

But you could bet your house that we won't win the Euros, and it would be a pretty good invesment

Last edited:

The red panther

princess transfer emo
I dont know if we (Belgium) will win it. The game versus Italy wasnt good but we did set that straight against Ierland with a good 3-0 win. I tought we played a very good qualifying campaign even taking the nr 1 spot on fifa world ranking because of our consistent performances. So I really dont think we have any issues with teamwork, wilmots is not the best coach but he has put something down that works well enough to get wins. The loss versus Italy has been the first loss in a long time under Wilmots. The lign up versus Italy was a problem and Italy wasnt the most dominant side in that match but Conte did beat Wilmots tactically. Id love to replay that match and I think with the lign up we had against Ierland we would win that replay.

On top of that I think Belgium is actually one of the top sides on individual quality with KVB, Hazard, Carasco, Lukaku, Courtois. Most of them still have to put in their best performances, if they would I think we would very difficult to beat.

If we dont lose tomorrow we will be second in our group. Next round we will be up against Portugal, Iceland or Hungary, which seems doable. Quarter finals we will meet Wales or one of the best third, which also seems doable. So the road to the semi finals looks doable for Belgium.

Once you get to the semi finals I think you are very close and with some wins in the bag, increased confidence and a steady formation, if you ask me can Belgium go all the way, Id say why not.

Spain and Germany look like the strongest teams so far. They are the only 2 sides I am not confident we can win against. But seems like we can avoid them till the semi final or the final. Also they didnt look unbeatable to me but for me they are the biggest competitors for Belgium.

So Ill go with

1: Spain
2: Germany
3: Belgium

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Let me give you a list of European finals knockout games that England have won.

England's knockout victories at European Championship finals
Spain 0-0p England - Euro 96

Now a similar list for Germany

Germany's knockout victories at European Championship finals

Belgium 1-2 West Germany - Euro 1972
West Germany 3-0 Soviet Union - Euro 1972 (winners)
Yugoslavia 2-4 (a.e.t) West Germany - Euro 1976
Belgium 1-2 West Germany - Euro 1980 (winners)
Sweden 2-3 Germany - Euro 1992
Germany 2-1 Croatia - Euro 1996
Germany p1-1 England - Euro 1996
Czech Republic 1-2 (a.e.t) Germany - Euro 2096 (winners)
Portugal 2-3 Germany - Euro 2008
Germany 3-2 Turkey - Euro 2008
Germany 4-2 Greece - Euro 2012

Spain, Italy's and France's don't actually look that different (especially since 2008 for Spain)

England just don't have the mentality to do. We've seen it all before, England are going to throw it away.

I partially agree though, I think our squad right now might be better than the golden generation (except in defence).

Having said that, we have basically got no players who have been playing in the Champions League knockouts regularly for the last 3 years.

But you could bet your house that we won't win the Euros, and it would be a pretty good invesment
TBH I don't think this England team should carry the burden or accusations of the past failures. Dier/Alli/Sturridge/Smalling/Walker/Rashford/Vardy/Cahill/Rose etc. are all new to this tournament and would feel no pressure. I can see these players stepping up vs France and not feeling as nervous as Gerrard/Lampard etc. They won't give the opposition too much respect, you can see that much. I'd back our team based on the performances they've shown this tourney. Its been very very good and we have been terribly unlucky concede twice, let alone to draw twice.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
TBH I don't think this England team should carry the burden or accusations of the past failures. Dier/Alli/Sturridge/Smalling/Walker/Rashford/Vardy/Cahill/Rose etc. are all new to this tournament and would feel no pressure. I can see these players stepping up vs France and not feeling as nervous as Gerrard/Lampard etc. They won't give the opposition too much respect, you can see that much. I'd back our team based on the performances they've shown this tourney. Its been very very good and we have been terribly unlucky concede twice, let alone to draw twice.
Yeah, I mean on paper we should be contenders. In reality? We'll win our Last 16 match as long as we don't meet Portugal, but then we will last in the Quarter Final to France. And if by some miracle we beat France, we'll lose in the Semi Final to Germany (Roy would probably receive a knighthood).

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Yeah, I mean on paper we should be contenders. In reality? We'll win our Last 16 match as long as we don't meet Portugal, but then we will last in the Quarter Final to France. And if by some miracle we beat France, we'll lose in the Semi Final to Germany (Roy would probably receive a knighthood).
I don't even think we should be better contenders on paper - I'm basing this on our performance in the tournament. I don't see much difference at all between our displays on the pitch and France's. We don't need a miracle to beat France, I think we can give them a good game and have a decent chance of winning.

Dreadnought

Spain unfortunately. They're unbeatable and don't seem to have a weakness now Del Bosque has found his sanity with his goalkeeper selection.
Agree about unfortunately. But unbeatable? Forgot the World Cup? Forgot that the Czechs could have nicked it? Forgot that Georgia did nick it in the final warm up game?

Devil81

Germany, as boring as they've been so far, I think they are the best team.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
So Germany, France, Spain, Italy & England on the same half of the draw. Croatia & Wales are going to meet in the semi, aren’t they?

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
So far it looks to be Germany, but I'm hoping for Italy.

Panther

Think Croatia should reach the final, the hardest team they'll face on the way is Belgium and they'll meet in the Semis.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Think Croatia should reach the final, the hardest team they'll face on the way is Belgium and they'll meet in the Semis.
Poland are almost as good as Croatia right now. I am still not convinced this Croatia team is THAT good.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
France, Croatia, Italy.. are my three favourite sides.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Can see Italy/Croatia final. They look the two most complete teams to me at the moment I think..

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The way its looking, can see portugal or belgium meeting croatia in the semis, with croatia getting to the final. Then I'm going to guess that france knocks out italy in the semis, and wins it against croatia. Hard to predict that side though. Any of germany, italy, spain, france or england can beat anyone else.

nick2004

The way its looking, can see portugal or belgium meeting croatia in the semis, with croatia getting to the final. Then I'm going to guess that france knocks out italy in the semis, and wins it against croatia. Hard to predict that side though. Any of germany, italy, spain, france or england can beat anyone else.
It's more fitting to say that England can be beaten by everyone else. I can see them losing the next game. Vardy and Kane have been dire in attack. And the defense is not that good anyway, no surprise there... And the manager is mediocre as well... or below mediocre.