Euro 96 Relived | LIVE NOW ON ITV4/ITV HUB: England v Scotland

stubie

Apart from growing Kasper Schmeichel hasn’t changed much

stubie

Anyone else notice how much better the presentation is? Much better than the overhyped garbage Sky do for Super Sunday!

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Anyone else notice how much better the presentation is? Much better than the overhyped garbage Sky do for Super Sunday!
Looks like it is just us two but yeah, I'm really enjoying it. When it originally aired I was young and not interested in football to appreciate it at the time.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Would have loved Shearer at United, he was brilliant. Think he is often underrated by many.
Watching this game along with some France 98 ones has really highlighted to me how poor his all round game was. Ruthless goalscorer of course though. But he’d need to evolve in today’s game to be at a very top club I think.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Watching this game along with some France 98 ones has really highlighted to me how poor his all round game was. Ruthless goalscorer of course though. But he’d need to evolve in today’s game to be at a very top club I think.
Yes, but he wasnt playing in today's game. Of his time, he was outstanding. I understand why he chose Newcastle, but feck me what a waste.

Carl

No Becks? Had he not broken through at this point?
Not really. He'd played the season before for United but it wasn't really until '96/'97 season he really took off. Unfortunately for Poborski (who was excellent in this tournament).

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
McManaman was a very tidy dribbler at the time, key to England disrupting the Swiss defence here.

Both teams had some serious striker depth on the bench - peak Fowler, Chapuisat.

SharpshooterTom

England have really gone off the boil in this second half. Must be their poorest 45 minutes in the whole tournament.

Carl

That goal against Wimbledon came in the August I think after the tournament and was really his landing mark in the English game.
He was really rather good in the 95/96 season, holding down that RM spot all season, and was unlucky not to be selected really. I'd agree it really took off for him the following season though.

Carl

Keep on punting it long. Now Gascoigne is off they’ve got nobody to keep the ball in midfield.
Incredibly harsh on Ince and Platt tbf.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Very irresponsible to play in front of a full Wembley amidst the Coronavirus pandemic, though admittedly it has made for a great atmosphere

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Some truly dire FK attempts in this game.

Come on lads, hold on just a few more minutes.

EDIT: Balls, jinxed it.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
England were shite in that second half. Some odd subs by Venables bringing on likes of Stone and Barmby who barely touched the ball and kept Anderton on.

Can remember Vogel in the 00s playing for PSV, Swiss had some good strikers in those days aswell.

Kasper Schmeichel in the opening ceremony was great.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Football has improved so much over time. Can see why the Barcelona team came along a little later and made such an impact, because keeping the ball was much rarer before them.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Yes, but he wasnt playing in today's game. Of his time, he was outstanding. I understand why he chose Newcastle, but feck me what a waste.
Who wasn't? Shearer? He scored v Switz!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Not sure you can judge England players on their international form per se, although he was superb in Euro 96 after going into the tournament with a lot of doubts over him.
I also dare say that it's not a fair judgement on a player 2 1/2 decades on, as what we expect from players changes.

But at the time, Shearer was rated one of the top strikers in Europe for a good reason

GazTheLegend

Yep he was kind of shite as an overall footballer

Amazing striker and header of a ball but not much else

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Football has improved so much over time. Can see why the Barcelona team came along a little later and made such an impact, because keeping the ball was much rarer before them.
They certainly made people re-think the classic British way of getting It wide and knocking high crosses in, especially as most teams moved away from two central forwards.

Personally I miss the 4-4-2 days though. Two proper wingers who can each cross on their main foot. Two centre mids who can both get up and back, none of this "Holding" mid nonsense.
Two proper strikers.

sigh.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Yep he was kind of shite as an overall footballer

Amazing striker and header of a ball but not much else
The all time record Premier league goalscorer, whose record will never be overtaken and top Euro 96 striker, officially "sh!te as an overall footballer".

You heard it here first.