Europa Conference League 2021/22

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
The question is why though. Are they going to challenge for the league? Small as it is it’s a European trophy, and the first season of it than that.

Why not try to win it and actually get your name on something significant rather than just thinking about fighting for a CL spot.
For what po$$ible rea$on would $pur$ want Champion$ League?

Sure supporters and players care about winning trophies, that is a secondary endeavour for clubs these days it seems. $$$$ first, glory and trophies second. Look at that Spurs team :lol: Nile John? Dane Scarlett? I dont recognise a single player on the bench, oh wait Jack Clarke rings a bell. I thought they sold that Carter Vickers guy years ago. Clearly they-NES give zero f&$%s about this tournament.

Whatever happened to Ndombele? Didnt see him vs Man City, not playing in the tiddly winks league? Injured again?

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Can someone just explain who Paços de Ferreira actually are please?
They were 5th in Portugal, not exactly a team to be disrespected. After seeing Spurs' team for today it was obvious that this could easily happen.

Ramos

Since the Uefa Cup has been renamed the Europa League in 09 these teams have won it: Sevilla (4x), Atletico (3x), Chelsea (2x), Porto, United and Villarreal.

Basically all CL budgeted teams. A lot of those actually did drop from the CL when they won it.

Conference League seems to be made to give clubs from smaller nations more games and decent teams from lesser leagues that struggle to compete financially, a realistic chance at silverware again. Teams like Feyenoord for example. But i can understand why Premier League or La Liga fans think this is absolutely pointless.

He has gone backwards in the past couple if years and is also a bit if an entitled spoiled brat from what I understand. I really would love him to get sold
His performance against Real Madrid at the Bernabeu lives in my head rent free, it’s a shame he hasn’t kicked on, maybe a move would do him some good.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
He has gone backwards in the past couple if years and is also a bit if an entitled spoiled brat from what I understand. I really would love him to get sold
Would be a good acquisition for a team like Leeds, Brentford, Newcastle etc. But I kind of agree he is not good enough as a starter for anyone seeking top 4, ok squad player to have if he is willing to accept that role. Especially when you need to play teams like Pacos Ferriera or w/e Spurs played.

Fox_Chrys

Supports
LCFC
Since the Uefa Cup has been renamed the Europa League in 09 these teams have won it: Sevilla (4x), Atletico (3x), Chelsea (2x), Porto, United and Villarreal.

Basically all CL budgeted teams. A lot of those actually did drop from the CL when they won it.

Conference League seems to be made to give clubs from smaller nations more games and decent teams from lesser leagues that struggle to compete financially, a realistic chance at silverware again. Teams like Feyenoord for example. But i can understand why Premier League or La Liga fans think this is absolutely pointless.
How many of the Europa winners are not CL dropouts? They really need to stop that from happening, if you don't make it out of the CL group stage, then that should be it for the season, not joining the Europa late on.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
His performance against Real Madrid at the Bernabeu lives in my head rent free, it’s a shame he hasn’t kicked on, maybe a move would do him some good.
:confused: what did he do??? I don't remember him at all from that game. Maybe the only spurs player i don't remember from that game, at that...

Anyways, UEFA botched this when they decided to take spots away from EL instead on going to the 7th/8th placed teams in the top leagues. This is the kind of competition that should have aston villa, sassuolo and athletic bilbao in it. Not spurs or roma...

:confused: what did he do??? I don't remember him at all from that game. Maybe the only spurs player i don't remember from that game, at that...

Anyways, UEFA botched this when they decided to take spots away from EL instead on going to the 7th/8th placed teams in the top leagues. This is the kind of competition that should have aston villa, sassuolo and athletic bilbao in it. Not spurs or roma...
Really?? He was one of the standout players for me, very solid performance he kept the Spurs midfield ticking over, very good in possession too you couldn’t get the ball off him.

Abraxas

If that's Spurs second string they better hope they don't get many injuries. 3 shots against a team that aren't exactly a traditional Portuguese powerhouse!

I have no problems with the competition. We only see it from the Premier League point of view. It feels strange to see them in it perhaps, but for the vast majority of footballing nations within Europe it represents a good opportunity for them. How commercially successful it can be is a question.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Really?? He was one of the standout players for me, very solid performance he kept the Spurs midfield ticking over, very good in possession too you couldn’t get the ball off him.

Maybe emotional involvement changed my perception of the game, i dunno. My memory is we largely dominated and they largely defended fairly well, with sissoko and aurier in particular standing out. Then they finished strong after Llorente came on and they went route one. Somehow through several different clubs we never found a way to contain Llorente :lol:

I mean, 40 passes completed isn't exactly a big number

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

From a Poland point of view it's a great competition. Our teams have usually been knocked out before September because EL is just too difficult to compete in. Conference League is more accessible and easier so we will have at least 1 if not 2 teams in there in the group stages this year which is great for development, makes it more appealing for teams to finish top 3 in the league (which wasn't that important when you knew you'd get a much richer team in early EL qualifiers and get spanked) which makes the league better + there's plenty of money to be earned there as well which can be hugely significant for the club. For instance Rakow Czestochowa who have just knocked out Rubin Kazan and now lead 1-0 against Gent in the final qualifying stage of Conference League, if they make it into group stages it's a club changing money - they will earn more from the competition that their total budget is and it's a team that was in 3rd division 4 years ago.

vodrake

Maybe emotional involvement changed my perception of the game, i dunno. My memory is we largely dominated and they largely defended fairly well, with sissoko and aurier in particular standing out. Then they finished strong after Llorente came on and they went route one. Somehow through several different clubs we never found a way to contain Llorente :lol:

I mean, 40 passes completed isn't exactly a big number
Leave me alone, I couldn’t find any other stats :lol:

Anywho, I thought he and Kane did really well that game I think it ended in a draw. It was a really tight game.

marktan

If I were Spurs I'd tank the next leg and be happy to go out, the competition is pointless and a distraction more than anything. It was funny watching Mourinho line up with a full strength team, his Roma will crash and burn before long as his teams have done over the last 5 years. Nuno has the right of it playing youngsters.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
If I were Spurs I'd tank the next leg and be happy to go out, the competition is pointless and a distraction more than anything. It was funny watching Mourinho line up with a full strength team, his Roma will crash and burn before long as his teams have done over the last 5 years. Nuno has the right of it playing youngsters.
That's a loser's mindset. When you play in a competition you try to win it. No wonder Spurs never win something big, when they not even try to win the small cups they actually could be favourites to win.

Mourinho at least tries to do something with his team. If his methods and philosophy are still the right ones has to be seen, but you can't criticise his mentality. You can already do that for Spurs'.

marktan

That's a loser's mindset. When you play in a competition you try to win it. No wonder Spurs never win something big, when they not even try to win the small cups they actually could be favourites to win.

Mourinho at least tries to do something with his team. If his methods and philosophy are still the right ones has to be seen, but you can't criticise his mentality. You can already do that for Spurs'.
So why not enter them into the Johnstons paint trophy and try to win that? There's a point at which a cup doesn't mean anything. The europa only started meaning anything when there was a CL place as a reward, before that English teams couldn't care less. Who wants to win the conference? Do you really think Spurs fans will be happy to boast about a 3rd rate competition?

The point I was making on Nuno Vs Mourinho, is that in a long season you have to prioritise. Id much rather the first XI players be fresh and fighting for top 4 than playing in the conference on Thursday if we're a Spurs or Roma fan. The financial benefits and general benefits to player attraction are far greater. Mourinho last season played the first team like Kane etc on Thursday and then often on the following Sunday, and for what? So that the players could be knackered and struggle to fight for anything? In the end they went out of the Europa and didn't even come close to top 4. He's doing the same thing again this time it's a competition that's worse than the Europa. Having the ability to rotate effectively and manage player freshness is far more important than some faux ideas about mentality, for which Mourinho generally just means being arrogant when he wins and fighting with everyone when he loses.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
So why not enter them into the Johnstons paint trophy and try to win that? There's a point at which a cup doesn't mean anything. The europa only started meaning anything when there was a CL place as a reward, before that English teams couldn't care less. Who wants to win the conference? Do you really think Spurs fans will be happy to boast about a 3rd rate competition?

The point I was making on Nuno Vs Mourinho, is that in a long season you have to prioritise. Id much rather the first XI players be fresh and fighting for top 4 than playing in the conference on Thursday if we're a Spurs or Roma fan. The financial benefits and general benefits to player attraction are far greater. Mourinho last season played the first team like Kane etc on Thursday and then often on the following Sunday, and for what? So that the players could be knackered and struggle to fight for anything? In the end they went out of the Europa and didn't even come close to top 4. He's doing the same thing again this time it's a competition that's worse than the Europa. Having the ability to rotate effectively and manage player freshness is far more important than some faux ideas about mentality, for which Mourinho generally just means being arrogant when he wins and fighting with everyone when he loses.
At this point the FA Vase would be am achievement for Spurs.