Europa Conference League 2021/22

Cloud7

They basically played their academy and a few players that need match fitness. It's pretty clear that Spurs don't want to be in this tournament and want to focus on the league.
The question is why though. Are they going to challenge for the league? Small as it is it’s a European trophy, and the first season of it than that.

Why not try to win it and actually get your name on something significant rather than just thinking about fighting for a CL spot.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
The question is why though. Are they going to challenge for the league? Small as it is it’s a European trophy, and the first season of it than that.

Why not try to win it and actually get your name on something significant rather than just thinking about fighting for a CL spot.
Should have done it like Union Berlin earlier today. In April Max Kruse stated that he does not care about the ECL, that soneone else should play in it and that he does not even know what it is. Today they won 4-0, Kruse made a goal and an assist :devil:

Irwin99

Having seen the Spurs line up do Spurs even really want to be in this tournament?

Probably answered my own question but it is over two legs.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Having seen the Spurs line up do Spurs even really want to be in this tournament?

Probably answered my own question but it is over two legs.
He might play a stronger side but it’s Nuno and he’s a dull feck

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I'm not sure Spurs should be neglecting these in favour of the league. This seems like a more realistic path to the europa league for them.

JuriM

So what is the Europa conference league? What’s the point of this?
Coming from Estonian point of view, where we are 1 game away and with 4-2 lead to ever get anything close to an European football group stage - it's everything. Fc Flora budget for this season was roughly 1.5m€, but with the Conference league group stage we end up earning 6m€.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Coming from Estonian point of view, where we are 1 game away and with 4-2 lead to ever get anything close to an European football group stage - it's everything. Fc Flora budget for this season was roughly 1.5m€, but with the Conference league group stage we end up earning 6m€.
I think you misunderstood me. That was a genuine question - I guess you answered it. So winners here get to go to the EL group stage?

Nick7

I think you misunderstood me. That was a genuine question - I guess you answered it. So winners here get to go to the EL group stage?
Nah, it’s another competition below the Europa League to give teams from smaller countries, and Spurs, European football.

it’s like the Intertoto Cup, if you remember that.

Irwin99

Nah, it’s another competition below the Europa League to give teams from smaller countries, and Spurs, European football.
And the winners presumably get Europa League football the next year?

I can see why it might be good for smaller teams with the money mentioned and the chance of a trophy but realistically-banter aside- I can see why fans of clubs like Spurs or Roma might be a bit embarrassed to be there. I've never quite been as horrified as some other United fans about being in the Europa League maybe the odd season but this would be mighty embarrassing if we were there.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea

I can see why it might be good for smaller teams with the money mentioned and the chance of a trophy but realistically-banter aside- I can see why fans of clubs like Spurs or Roma might be a bit embarrassed to be there. I've never quite been as horrified as some other United fans about being in the Europa League maybe the odd season but this would be mighty embarrassing if we were there.
Can't see the embarrassment to be honest. Every team has a poor season now and again. Being in the tournament and then losing to a team I've never even heard of on the other hand, that's fairly embarrassing.

SungSam7

Is this the first tournament ever where it would be almost embarrising to win?

Although that said it gives Spurs a huge chance to end their trophy drought.
Chelsea once upon a time not long ago were in Spurs position and im sure Chelsea fans back them wouldn't have stuck their nose up at it either. A European title is a title to be proud of regardless of what tier it is.

Its not like its a pre season tournament where youths and fringe players play to give the main lads an extended break.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

I’d probably prefer United to be in this instead of the Europa. It’s another different trophy. Over time, you’d want the history of having won this too. We would be the first side to have won the Champions League, Cup Winners’ Cup, Europa League, and Europa Conference League.

Describing it as an Intertoto Cup is just showing ignorance of what either competition was/is.

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
Chelsea once upon a time not long ago were in Spurs position and im sure Chelsea fans back them wouldn't have stuck their nose up at it either. A European title is a title to be proud of regardless of what tier it is.

Its not like its a pre season tournament where youths and fringe players play to give the main lads an extended break.
Did you see the team Spurs put out?

SungSam7

Did you see the team Spurs put out?
No, college work to be doing. But if they were to win it, im sure they wouldnt be embarrassed. Im sure they value keeping players fit for the league at such an early stage as i would expect United to do even in the EL qualifying. (Maybe not the CL though, too risky).

Demyanenko_square_jaw

it's not an intertoto cup, not even when uefa took over that. It's basically a 3rd competition to the CL and EL being first and second. Intertoto was always a complete sideshow that clubs could ignore and took place in the off-season for most leagues other than the march-november ones.