Europa League 2019/20

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Astana kazakhstan league champs the last number of years. This summer knocked out of the champions league first qualifying round by Cluj 3-2 on AGG who they themselves have ended up in the Europa league.

Partizan Belgrade reached the Europa league by beating Ole's old side Molde 3-2 on AGG. They finished 3rd in the Serbian league a full 30 points behind Red Star.

AZ Alkmaar reached the Europa league by beating Antwerp 5-2 on AGG. (tie won in extra time v 9 men) finished 4th in the dutch league 31 points behind Ajax.

The good --- is United should stroll through that group
The bad --- is none of those ties will make us supporters overly interested (if only we got Celtic or Rangers)
The ugly --- the long trip to belgrade and the ridiculous trek to bloody kazakhstan. Will be no surprise if United drop PL points directly after those games.
That's when the youth comes in with fresh energy and they're definitely should not complain about length of the trip in face of getting chance in European competition. My personal ugly thing would pitch condition that could lead to injuries, but that's bit of presumption at this point.

If Ole's smart enough with selection, we'll milk that group with even bigger benefit in sight of gelling newcomers into that team.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Molde must be kicking themselves. They would have been in economic and PR heaven if they hadn't bottled it vs Partizan last night.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Just get a few members from here to answer some questions about Astana. I'm sure the funny ones like @SteveJ and @Mr Pigeon can whip something up.
Top group of talent. Rose to prominence in the 80s on the amateur circuit before being promoted to the big leagues in the 90s with their hit single "Wishy Washy (My Mother Likes to Stitch Leggings)".

Denis79

Wohoo my two favorite teams play eachother! United finally coming to Belgrade :drool::drool::drool:

Amerifan

This is one of those artificially high-pressure, can’t-win situations. If we beat these teams, the media will go, “so what?” and use it as an excuse to talk about how far we’ve slipped. If we lose to one of them, the media will crucify us for losing to an unknown team, and use it as an excuse to talk about how far we’ve slipped.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
A genuine chance for silverware is something we can't sneeze at. I likely won't watch the early tepid stuff but I'm here for knockout European football.

AshRK

This is one of those artificially high-pressure, can’t-win situations. If we beat these teams, the media will go, “so what?” and use it as an excuse to talk about how far we’ve slipped. If we lose to one of them, the media will crucify us for losing to an unknown team, and use it as an excuse to talk about how far we’ve slipped.
Can't worry about the media too much. The media and rival fans will banter us no matter what. We have to make sure we do the job effectively and move forward.

Raw

Yep, but in fairness we deserve all the criticism if we lose to one of these teams (unless we've already qualified and we're just playing reserves).

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Top group of talent. Rose to prominence in the 80s on the amateur circuit before being promoted to the big leagues in the 90s with their hit single "Wishy Washy (My Mother Likes to Stitch Leggings)".
:lol::lol:

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
AZ Alkmaar have started pretty well defensively this season though and he's played every minute. 7 clean sheets in 9 games. Not too shabby for Owen Wijndal.

If you include 21 year olds as a youngster then yeah, problem with him is they've dicked around with his position last season so it's a bit unclear what his best position is.
You are definately right about Koopmeiners. Clean sheets not only Wijndal of course but i hope you're right. All the talent is welcome in Orange.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
How are they coping after losing haller and jovic?
Of course they lost some punch, but their high intensity and physicality still make them an uncomfortable opponent. Right now they are still in danger of losing Rebic, then they may end up a bit toothless.

AshRK

Last time we had to travel to Turkey (Fenerbache) and Ukraine (Zorya Luhansk). At least this time there will be only crazy travel.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Hang on...are you referring to me & you or Astana?

Fixtures

GlasgowRedz

Fixtures Announced as follows;

19 September: United v Astana

3 October: AZ v United

24 October: Partizan v United

7 November: United v Partizan

28 November: Astana v United

12 December: United v AZ

el3mel

Uninspiring group, will be lying if I say I'm looking forward to any of these games but at least we should be able to rotate our main players in some games so that it doesn't affect our league form, for now at least.

AshRK

Astana Home - West Ham away
Az away- Newcastle Away
Partizan away- Norwich away
Partizan home- Brighton Home
Astana away- Villa home
Az home- Everton home

Josh 76

Uninspiring group, will be lying if I say I'm looking forward to any of these games but at least we should be able to rotate our main players in some games so that it doesn't affect our league form, for now at least.
We haven't got a decent squad to rotate.

Raw

Fixtures Announced as follows;

19 September: United v Astana

3 October: AZ v United

24 October: Partizan v United

7 November: United v Partizan

28 November: Astana v United

12 December: United v AZ
Hopefully we'll have qualified or have all but confirmed qualification by the 28th November. We'll have Sheff Utd away before that game and Villa home afterwards. Not too bad.

Raw

Astana Home - West Ham away
Az away- Newcastle Away
Partizan away- Norwich away
Partizan home- Brighton Home
Astana away- Villa home
Az home- Everton home
Astana H - Leicester H before, West Ham A after
AZ A - Arsenal H before, Newcastle A after
Partizan A - Liverpool H before, Norwich A after
Partizan H - Bournemouth A before, Brighton H after
Astana A - Sheff Utd A before, Villa H after
AZ H - City A before, Everton H after

If we're qualified by the final game, which we really should be, then we should go full reserve in that game. Tough games before and afterwards.

always_hoping

Astana H - Leicester H before, West Ham A after
AZ A - Arsenal H before, Newcastle A after
Partizan A - Liverpool H before, Norwich A after
Partizan H - Bournemouth A before, Brighton H after
Astana A - Sheff Utd A before, Villa H after
AZ H - City A before, Everton H after

If we're qualified by the final game, which we really should be, then we should go full reserve in that game. Tough games before and afterwards.
We'll do well to beat both Newcastle and Norwich away. As others say hopefully United have already reached the knock out stages by the time Astana away comes around and then play a full 2nd string team and leave most first teamers at home.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Is the impact of the travel really that bad or is it a bit overstated? It's not like the players are flying easyjet - they'll be well accommodated throughout.