Europa League 2019/20

el3mel

People talking about taking it lightly probably don't get it'll probably be our only hope of playing CL the season after next.

Kapardin

Currently looking at the league tables across the other big 5 leagues and the following teams are likely to be in the EL next season:

Spain: Valencia; Sevilla who are level on points (Getafe - who are three points ahead of both have an outside shot of dropping in to the EL if they drop off the Top 4 pace)

Italy: Milan; Roma who are level on points (Lazio have a chance, being two points off both with two games to go)

Germany: This one's a mess. Any one of Borussia Monchengladbach (4th), Bayer Leverkusen, Eintracht Frankfurt, Wolfsburg, Hoffenheim, and Werder Bremen (9th) could finish in the EL places, and only 1 point separating 4th and 6th.

France: St Etienne are pretty secure in 4th and should qualify. Lyon are in 3rd and will go into the CL Qualifiers - if they lose that tie in August, they'll drop into the EL group stages.

Obviously, this doesn't include the 3rd placed teams in next season's CL, but it gives a good hint at the sort of competition we could be looking at next season in the early stages and potential R32 opponents if the worst case scenario happens and we finish 2nd in our group.

Hopefully we finish 1st in our group and can avoid a tricky tie in the R32, but the level of competition here does not seem that daunting to me. Just hope the kids do the job for us in the early stages and we can then bring on the main men for the R16/QF stages.

We really should be winning this next season, IMO.
Honestly hope we get Roma/Milan or Lyon (if they drop) along the way. A 2 legged tie with these teams would be pretty class and memorable games.

If we have a good summer, I could get quite excited about the Europa League. It's a competition we can win and there are some good teams.

Also don't get the idea of throwing a competition away just to get 3rd/4th in the league. We should be competent enough to handle both. Hopefully, Ole takes it seriously.

rotherham_red

If we do this and get back to the CL, we'll probably enter the group stage as a 3rd/4th seeded team, impacting our chances of qualifying for the knockout rounds.

We're in the Europa so we should have a good go at it, rotate well and still maintain a good level of competition in the league.
Yep, plus winners of EL are in pot 1 for the following season's CL group stage. To turn our noses up at it is stupid, especially when you see who are likely to be in the group stages of the EL next season, is silly. The pros far outweigh the cons, with the difference in prize money between finishing 5th and 4th in the league being negligible (the prize money for being in the CL is another matter, but we'd get that irrespective of we won the EL)

rotherham_red

Currently looking at the league tables across the other big 5 leagues and the following teams are likely to be in the EL next season:

Spain: Valencia; Sevilla who are level on points (Getafe - who are three points ahead of both have an outside shot of dropping in to the EL if they drop off the Top 4 pace)

Italy: Milan; Roma who are level on points (Lazio have a chance, being two points off both with two games to go)

Germany: This one's a mess. Any one of Borussia Monchengladbach (4th), Bayer Leverkusen, Eintracht Frankfurt, Wolfsburg, Hoffenheim, and Werder Bremen (9th) could finish in the EL places, and only 1 point separating 4th and 6th.

France: St Etienne are pretty secure in 4th and should qualify. Lyon are in 3rd and will go into the CL Qualifiers - if they lose that tie in August, they'll drop into the EL group stages.

Obviously, this doesn't include the 3rd placed teams in next season's CL, but it gives a good hint at the sort of competition we could be looking at next season in the early stages and potential R32 opponents if the worst case scenario happens and we finish 2nd in our group.

Hopefully we finish 1st in our group and can avoid a tricky tie in the R32, but the level of competition here does not seem that daunting to me. Just hope the kids do the job for us in the early stages and we can then bring on the main men for the R16/QF stages.

We really should be winning this next season, IMO.
Also just to add, the (potential) cup winners for each of the countries are:

Italy: the Coppa Italia final is on Wednesday between Atalanta (3rd) and Lazio (7th). If Atalanta win then 6th (currently Roma) go straight through to the groups and Lazio go to the qualifiers.

Spain: the Copa del Rey final is on May 25th between Barca and Valencia. Given that Barca are champions and Valencia are 5th, either of them winning will mean that 6th place will go straight to the group stage and 7th (who will more than likely be Athletic Bilbao) gets the EL qualifier.

France: As you may know, Rennes beat PSG in the final of the Coupe de France recently and Strasbourg won the Coupe de la Ligue (French League Cup), which means both teams are in the EL group stages also.​

Germany: It's RB Leipzig v Bayern in the final of the DFB-Pokal Cup. Both have guaranteed themselves qualification for the CL so 7th in Der Buli will go to the EL qualifiers (could be any one from the 4th to 9th placed teams).

Last edited:

djembatheking

Personally, I hope we leave early so we can concentrate on league football.
Me too . I would be quite happy to do a Burnley and go out in qualifying stages . If we are in it I doubt very much that Ole will play the kids and will try to win it which would make our league campaign all the more difficult . I would much rather have a season like Leicester and have no Europe to give us the best chance in the league .
Basically if we go far in Europa then I doubt we will get top 4 which could be another year in Europa so it becomes rinse and repeat .
If we go out of Europa we will have a much better chance of getting top 4 (still be tough) and building a play style without the injuries/fatigue that Thursday night games in places like Israel , Ukraine and other far flung places bring .
I am not putting the Europa down either as it is our current level and it was pretty cool when we won it but it can easily become a cycle of struggle because of too many awkward games that become damaging to our main goal of improvement and ultimately challenging at the very top again .

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
People talking about taking it lightly probably don't get it'll probably be our only hope of playing CL the season after next.
Exactly, especially with a competitive Top 6. This may be our only route back next season ala 17/18.

What makes people so confident that we are a better team now than we were back in 17/18?

JEredDevil

We need a good summer to stand any chance of winning the EL.

Lets not forget the last time we won it, we had Zlatan and Herrera in the squad. Both, i would say are big game players that knows how to win. With this current squad, i would be surprise if we even make it to the SF. Even if we compare ourself against the current Arsenal and Chelsea teams, we are still a fair bit behind them.

Moiraine

So we are going to have "Some" Europe this season :p

I don't see us finishing Top 4 next season either, this might be a good route for qualifying for CL.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Can a mod move this thread to the football forum so it's not United specific? I don't see the point in making a separate thread.

Wolves currently playing a qualifier against Crusaders of Ireland. And likely playing a Thursday game before our Monday match on the 19th.

MsNuno

Supports
Wolves
Can a mod move this thread to the football forum so it's not United specific? I don't see the point in making a separate thread.

Wolves currently playing a qualifier against Crusaders of Ireland. And likely playing a Thursday game before our Monday match on the 19th.
Possibly a tricky trip to Armenia away 8th and home 15th

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
When's the draw for the groups? Anyone know?
Mid to late August I'd assume.

Edit: took me less than 30 seconds to find out it's on 30th August.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Mid to late August I'd assume.

Edit: took me less than 30 seconds to find out it's on 30th August.
Thanks brother - I couldn't bring myself to google the Europa league

Friday draw

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Draw this Friday at 13:00 UK time.

First round of group games will be 19th of September.

Who is involved in the draw?

ESP: Getafe, Sevilla
ENG: Arsenal, Manchester United
ITA: Lazio, Roma
GER: Borussia Mönchengladbach, Wolfsburg
FRA: Rennes, Saint-Étienne
RUS: CSKA Moskva, Krasnodar
POR: Porto, Sporting CP
UKR: Dynamo Kyiv, Olexandriya
BEL: Standard Liège
TUR: Beşiktaş, İstanbul Başakşehir
AUT: Wolfsberg
SUI: Basel, Lugano, Young Boys
NOR: Rosenborg

What are the draw pots?

The four pots will be set according to coefficient: here are the current contenders

104.000 Sevilla (ESP)
101.000 Arsenal (ENG)
93.000 Porto (POR)
81.000 Roma (ITA)
78.000 Manchester United (ENG)
65.000 Dynamo Kyiv (UKR)
62.000 Beşiktaş (TUR)
54.500 Basel (SUI)
50.000 Sporting CP (POR)
48.000 CSKA Moskva (RUS)
40.000 Wolfsburg (GER)
37.000 Lazio (ITA)
34.500 Krasnodar (RUS)
29.000 Borussia Mönchengladbach (GER)
27.500 Young Boys (SUI)
23.000 Saint-Étienne (FRA)
20.713 Getafe (ESP)
17.500 Standard Liège (BEL)
11.699 Rennes (FRA)
11.500 Rosenborg (NOR)
10.500 İstanbul Başakşehir (TUR)
7.780 Olexandriya (UKR)
6.250 Wolfsberg (AUT)
6.000 Lugano (SUI)

2nd legs to be decided Thursday:

Vitoria SC 0 - FCSB 0
Wolves 3 - Torino 2
Rangers 0 - Legia 0
Eintract 0 - Strasbourg 1
Maribor 0 - Ludogorets 0
Rijeka 1 - Gent 2
Ferencvaros 0 - Suduva 0
Avan 2 - Dudelange 1
Feyenoord 3 - Beer-Sheva 0
Aklmaar 1 - Antwerp 1
Trabzonspor 3 - AEK 1
Spartak Moskva 0 - Braga 1
Zorya 1 - Espanyol 3
Yehuda 0 - Malmo 3
Apollon 0 - PSV 3
Bate 0 - Astana 3
AIK 0 - Celtic 2
Riga 1 - Kobenhavn 3
Qarabag 2 - Linfield 3

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Fingers crossed for either someone totally random we haven't played ever, or some "romantic" type ties :)

Alabaster Codify7

I can see the threads now. By Christmas, there will be a huge thread on this forum titled:

'Europa League - should we sacrifice Top 4 and focus on winning EL?'

Similar to Mourinho's first season but sooner and we won't win it. What will happen is as a result of focusing on it, we'll end up around 9th or something and will face an actual good team in the semis or final and lose handily. We shithoused our way to the final with Jose, because Jose knows how to shithouse when the time comes.

Bwuk

We should try to win it.

More chance of winning this than finishing 4th.

Bestietom

I think our squad is too thin to compete for both Europa, and trying to get into top 4. If we add a couple of players in January then go for it.

Judas

Open to offers
It’s is hilarious to think people think we should throw this to concentrate on finishing top 4, something we’re very likely not good enough to achieve, even if we had no European football whatsoever.

el3mel

Who's gonna bet on Inter joining us in EL, we meet them at one point and Lukaku and Sanchez both score to knock us out ? :D

AshRK

Who's gonna bet on Inter joining us in EL, we meet them at one point and Lukaku and Sanchez both score to knock us out ? :D
I don't think Sanchez (or Smalling) can play against us as they are on loan. Lukaku may very well score though.

el3mel

I don't think Sanchez (or Smalling) can play against us as they are on loan. Lukaku may very well score though.
Is this a rule in general that loaned players can't play against their original clubs in Europe ?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
No such thing. James, Courtois and several others have played against their parent club in Europe.

always_hoping

Drawing Celtic or Rangers in the group might make it somewhat interesting. Hopefully no long away trips.