Europa League 22/23 | Final: Sevilla vs Roma (May 31)

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Didn't pay attention to Nice's transfer summer, but looking at their squad it's kind of a weird collection of players. Favre's back as manager. I didn't even know Dante still played at 39, let alone still starting for them as captain. Ramsey, Barkley, Pepe and Schmeichel joined them on a free or loan this summer. Schneiderlin's been there for a while but that passed me by.

And on top of that they've spent 70m on new players..
Meanwhile Cologne plays a midfielder (Huseinbasic) who played in the 4th division last season and did cost 50k

peridigm

Excluding any permutations of same league teams, who do we want for the KO round?
I'm hoping for Juve. Least (3) points out of any in the CL. Don't think we've have any problem dispatching them.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Avoid Barca is all I ask. Though it would be a fun tie. But I think we'd lose. Also avoid Sevilla. Not that they are very good, more so just we suck vs spanish opposition.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Only way we'd ever score. We created nothing. But we somehow end up winning our group on goal difference with a 4 way tie.

I'm so happy I could cry :lol: :nervous::houllier:
You finished second. The danish team first

Unam333

I really think Barcelona don't give a damn about the Europa League, in fact, them not in the Europa League will only boost their title chances in La Liga.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Us drawing Barca and knocking them out would give me a boner for the rest of my days.

Boavista

Meanwhile Cologne plays a midfielder (Huseinbasic) who played in the 4th division last season and did cost 50k
I assume he was bought for their second team, but then surprised with his performances?

It's a shame Hector is out injured. Very underrated player over his career, but not surprising given he never moved to a bigger club although he easily could have

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I assume he was bought for their second team, but then surprised with his performances?

It's a shame Hector is out injured. Very underrated player over his career, but not surprising given he never moved to a bigger club although he easily could have
No, Huseinbasic was seen as talented enough to give him a shot - a case of a player that didn't move to a big club in his youth, so had to take the long road. It wasn't expected that he would become a starter though, but Köln is really struggling with injuries at the moment and he has really used his opportunity.

OleGunnar20

Ajax or Sporting please. Two proper teams though you'd hope we'd beat them without too much trouble.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
And now he scores... Huseinbasic makes it 1-2, is Cologne's comeback on? I hope so :angel:

Red the Bear

Something less generic
The masochist in me wants Barcelona because why the feck not, ajax would be fun as well.

Wilt

Can’t believe we couldn’t win that fecking piss easy group :rolleyes:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Köln 2-2 Nice - entertaining match, if anyone doesn't know what to watch right now :eek:

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Somebody needs to intervene and force Arteta to rest Saka.

Frank Grimes

Ludogorets just got a goal very similar to Lampards v us in Champions League Final.

Edit: VAR saving Roma again.

A disallowed goal in the last round. Two penalties and a disallowed goal in this game. Dodgy as feck.

Chief123

We are absolutely getting Ajax. ETH, Martinez and Antony going home to say hi.

Chief123

Group F is ridiculous.

I’ve never seen a group of 4 teams all end up on the same points as each other.

Red_Aaron

We'll no doubt get Ajax because narrative

I'd like Barcelona myself, forget the competition it would be a huge pair of fixtures between 2 global heavyweights. For fan interest it would likely dwarf anything the other English teams will serve up in the UK this season CL or otherwise

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Why the feck is Jesus playing?
No Saka (injury scare), Martinelli (probably our most important player atm), or Odegaard. if you take Jesus out too, our attack is championship level honestly.
And we needed to win this. But this is going to backfire hard, you can only be so lucky...

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Union Berlin played 1-0 or 0-1 in every game - 4 wins, 4-2 goals in total :houllier: :lol:

Pintu

And we needed to win this. But this is going to backfire hard, you can only be so lucky...
Thank God, you wanted to win this one. It would be so disgusting to have Zurich progress to Conference league instead of Bodø+Glimt, just because you'd have gifted them the points.

Gandalf

I really think Barcelona don't give a damn about the Europa League, in fact, them not in the Europa League will only boost their title chances in La Liga.
It is not the Champions League but the enormous pile of debt they are buried under says they will take it seriously. Pique retiring is basically as a result of them getting knocked out of the CL, they need to cut costs fast because their projected revenue has taken a hit, they won't be turning their nose up at fifty quid let alone whatever they can make from the Europa knock out stages.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
No Saka (injury scare), Martinelli (probably our most important player atm), or Odegaard. if you take Jesus out too, our attack is championship level honestly.
I believe if Marquinhos is ready to play, Jesus may have a chance to rest.

Pintu

They will give a damn. They want a trophy. And they also need the money. You can earn up to 20 M going all the way, that will compensate some losses incurred because of the CL fiasco. They have to go for both, no other choice.

Cat1989

Supports
Arsenal
Does anyone know if the round of 16 is an open draw when it takes place? Or are teams from the same association not allowed to be drawn against each other, nor if they were in the same group earlier on? Example would Arsenal v Man Utd/PSV be allowed or not? Thanks

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
They will give a damn. They want a trophy. And they also need the money. You can earn up to 20 M going all the way, that will compensate some losses incurred because of the CL fiasco. They have to go for both, no other choice.
And on top of that they got totally embarassed last season in that competition.

Unam333

It is not the Champions League but the enormous pile of debt they are buried under says they will take it seriously. Pique retiring is basically as a result of them getting knocked out of the CL, they need to cut costs fast because their projected revenue has taken a hit, they won't be turning their nose up at fifty quid let alone whatever they can make from the Europa knock out stages.
Interesting take. Barca really are fecked financially.

colombianmancunian

Many big teams involved, this year will be interesting in EL.

I would love to knock out the entitled cnuts from Barcelona. But I fear our record against Spanish teams, even against such poor opposition.