Europa League 22/23 | Final: Sevilla vs Roma (May 31)

Pintu

Honest question: if we don’t get top 2 in the group, do we drop down to Conference League?
That's what happened to 2021 FA Cup winners Leicester. They finished third behind Napoli and Moscow and got relegated to the Conference League, where they made it to the semifinals and to lost to Mourinho's Roma.

NewYorkRed

Easy draw. We need to take this seriously considering how tough the PL is this year. Could end up being our best bet to make the CL.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Honest question: if we don’t get top 2 in the group, do we drop down to Conference League?
1st advances to EL round of 16
2nd advances to EL play off, coming up against other 2nd placers + outcasts from the CL (essentially a round of 32)
3rd advances to ECL play off, coming up against other 3rd placers from EL + 2nd placers from ECL

December_16

That's what happened to 2021 FA Cup winners Leicester. They finished third behind Napoli and Moscow and got relegated to the Conference League, where they made it to the semifinals and to lost to Mourinho's Roma.
1st advances to EL round of 16
2nd advances to EL play off, coming up against other 2nd placers + outcasts from the CL (essentially a round of 32)
3rd advances to ECL play off, coming up against other 3rd placers from EL + 2nd placers from ECL
Thanks guys! Hope we’ll get a bye.

Glorio

Hopefully we go all out, win the first 3 or 4 games (depending on how many we need to be safe), and play kids and Fringe players for the last 3 or 2.

Huge benefit of the Europa League if done right is the game time it makes available to the kids

Telsim

Weird times when I'm not sure which offers the best possibility to play in the CL next season - going all out in the EL and trying to win it or prioritizing the PL at the expense of the EL? With our squad depth, Ten Hag has some decisions to make. But winning the home fixtures is a must.

SAF is the GOAT

Matchday 1: 8 September 2022

Matchday 2: 15 September 2022

Matchday 3: 6 October 2022

Matchday 4: 13 October 2022

Matchday 5: 27 October 2022

Matchday 6: 3 November 2022

::sonny::

Chisnau controlled by the russian in my opinion like transnistria

full of kgb agents

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
What are people on about, "other side of the world" and "long flights"? It's Cyprus and Moldova, not Fiji. Nothing to worry about from that point of view.
This always annoys me too. Its not as if they fly on jet2 to these places they're on a private plane with huge comfy seats for a few hours.

People act like flying to away games in europe is somehow tiring.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
took me a while to find this thread... why isn't it in the united thread? oh, well...

Not the worst draw by any means... groups D and G look easier and Sociedad will be a threat especially in Spain. Never heard of Omonoia and to my discredit I can never find Moldova on a map!

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Usual whining about the Europa League, ffs.

As if we've deserved to be in it recently anyway.
We are a Europa League standard team, and that's the simple fact of the matter.
Even saying that, we've still only managed to win the bloody thing once before.

Personally, I don't dislike the Europa, at least we face clubs that we rarely have before, and if you're of my generation, you might still remember it as the UEFA Cup... :rolleyes:

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.

Personally, I don't dislike the Europa, at least we face clubs that we rarely have before, and if you're of my generation, you might still remember it as the UEFA Cup... :rolleyes:
and if of my age.... the Intercity Fairs Cup!

RedPed

Whatabouter.

I'm old school...a trophy is a trophy and I love every competition we play in. I hate losing Charity Shields, even. I just don't get all the whining and the contempt for the Europa League?

Mourinho was in tears last season when he won the Europa Conference League with AS Roma....fecking Roma!!

Every European competition used to be hailed back in the day. Now people are just dicks about it. I loved it when we beat Ajax in the final in 2016 and was gutted when we got shafted by Villarreal. I hope we can win it again this season.

always_hoping

The one thing you don't want in any European group is long treks. No such luck for United.

4,200 mile-round trip to Cyprus to challenge Omonia and will travel 3,600 miles to Moldova and back to take on Sheriff

Nero

6 piss easy games. Dont try and dress Sociedad up.

ThemanGiggsy

The Athletic article on the draw says Sheriff cant play matches in their home region due to Russia invading Ukraine. Does that mean we would play twice at OT or do a neutral site game somewhere (hopefully closer to home)?

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Tiraspol beat Real Madrid at the Bernabeu last season in the CL group stages. Omonia are managed by Neil Lennon. Other than that, don’t know anything else about either of them.
Ah those sheriffs. The feckers couldn't put Real out could they. :mad: :(

Fr. Todd Unctious

The Athletic article on the draw says Sheriff cant play matches in their home region due to Russia invading Ukraine. Does that mean we would play twice at OT or do a neutral site game somewhere (hopefully closer to home)?

Quite possibly just means that we can't play in their region in which case it's likely the game would be in Chisinau the Moldovan capital although that's not much further away from where Sherrif are from. Romania the most likely venue I'd imagine if it can't be in Moldova

Djemba-Djemba

We were very fecking lucky to even make the Europa league.

If it wasn't for late goals from Brighton on the last day vs West Ham we'd have been in the Conference League, so I'll happily take being in the Europa this season.

Santos J

Being moved to Chisnau apparently