Europa League 22/23 | Final: Sevilla vs Roma (May 31)

ManRed

Another trip to spain incoming. Would prefer to miss the italian sides for next 2 rounds
Called it. I am happy we got Sevilla so we can bury our old bogey teams and move ahead. First Barcelona and now Sevilla.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Is it that scarring?
That they left? Not at all, Wijnaldum outgrew us and PSV was a lot better at the time.

Karsdorp is the biggest numpty to ever wear a Feyenoord shirt and the living example that you can in fact be too dumb to be a successful footballer. Ability wise our best right back I've seen, but my god is he dumb as a box of rocks. Biggest dissappoinment was us resigning him a few years ago.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
That they left? Not at all, Wijnaldum outgrew us and PSV was a lot better at the time.

Karsdorp is the biggest numpty to ever wear a Feyenoord shirt and the living example that you can in fact be too dumb to be a successful footballer. Ability wise our best right back I've seen, but my god is he dumb as a box of rocks. Biggest dissappoinment was us resigning him a few years ago.
It was a highly funny and serious joke about Feyenoord traumatizing players.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
It was a highly funny and serious joke about Feyenoord traumatizing players.
Much less of risk of that when Feyenoord are winning and the worst of their hooligans are happy.

And I suppose that's actually a fairly serious response to your joke!

(Not @KirkDuyt though, he's a posh dude from The Hague. Fake fans etc.)

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Much less of risk of that when Feyenoord are winning and the worst of their hooligans are happy.

And I suppose that's actually a fairly serious response to your joke!

(Not @KirkDuyt though, he's a posh dude from The Hague. Fake fans etc.)
Nah, I act posh, but I smashed that Roman fountain.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Sevilla fan?
They have nice oranges!

It was more a reference to our track record with them. This tie is a great moment to change it, and I actually feel very confident about this considering they are the weakest of the 2 other Spanish teams we faced. I just didn't envisage an inoffensive comment like that pissing on @Santoryo 's cornflakes.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
They have nice oranges!

It was more a reference to our track record with them. This tie is a great moment to change it, and I actually feel very confident about this considering they are the weakest of the 2 other Spanish teams we faced. I just didn't envisage an inoffensive comment like that pissing on @Santoryo 's cornflakes.
i am confident too. Actually i think that now, when Arsenal are out, we have the biggest chance of winning the whole thing

Ted Lasso

Who did you want to win the title last season between City and Liverpool?
Neither. I don't want any team other than United to win a league. I'm a Manchester United fan after all.

When a big rival does win I just observe in reluctance.

This forum is a weird place. I recall one of the seasons you mention many fans on here saying they would rather see United lose the FA Cup final if that meant Liverpool also lost the CL final and/or league. I find that kind of perspective very very unhealthy and far removed from my own views of life.

If you're keen to know what I think of each of those teams, as they're both big rivals for United I'd say that I look at the Liverpool derby on the calendar first and relish beating them more. The last decade hasn't changed that a lot and in fact it's maybe even easier because City's success has been from an unfair financial doping. I have much more respect for our biggest rival whose successes have come more honorably. Same goes for Arsenal. And it's not just about the check book, it's the high level cheating (see charges against City)

stevoc

Neither. I don't want any team other than United to win a league. I'm a Manchester United fan after all.

When a big rival does win I just observe in reluctance.

This forum is a weird place. I recall one of the seasons you mention many fans on here saying they would rather see United lose the FA Cup final if that meant Liverpool also lost the CL final and/or league. I find that kind of perspective very very unhealthy and far removed from my own views of life.

If you're keen to know what I think of each of those teams, as they're both big rivals for United I'd say that I look at the Liverpool derby on the calendar first and relish beating them more. The last decade hasn't changed that a lot and in fact it's maybe even easier because City's success has been from an unfair financial doping. I have much more respect for our biggest rival whose successes have come more honorably. Same goes for Arsenal. And it's not just about the check book, it's the high level cheating (see charges against City)
Same as every United fan but one of them was going to win it. So which was your preference?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Roma sure are hiding the fact they're better than Lazio quite well.

Mou truly is a genius.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Sevilla just lost to Getafe who went past them in the table. They go to the international break with two points separating them from relegation.

Pintu

Roma sure are hiding the fact they're better than Lazio quite well.

Mou truly is a genius.
The difference might be marginal in the league… But Roma has a more experienced squad which makes them a tougher opponent than Lazio in EL context. Lazio would never have managed to knocked out Salzburg and Sociedad the way Roma did, specially given how Sarri has tried to integrate too many bench players for most of the European games. Mourinho is making minimal turnover, which naturally backfires in the league when he has to use the same players 3 days later.

Ted Lasso

Same as every United fan but one of them was going to win it. So which was your preference?
That's what I'm saying, I had no preference.

The notion that you need a preference of the winner when either choice is undesirable is very very silly. Almost certain there's a philosophy term for scenarios like this..like asking you if a mugger put a gun to your mother and father's head, who would you choose to die.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
The difference might be marginal in the league… But Roma has a more experienced squad which makes them a tougher opponent than Lazio in EL context. Lazio would never have managed to knocked out Salzburg and Sociedad the way Roma did, specially given how Sarri has tried to integrate too many bench players for most of the European games. Mourinho is making minimal turnover, which naturally backfires in the league when he has to use the same players 3 days later.
Teah sorry, it was a bit of a lame jab at people who told me Roma is better :wenger:

Mou is a bit of a cup fighter of course, But after our win today our confidence is soaring. If we can beat Ajax away, we can beat Roma.

Chairman Steve

I did not realise Sevilla were doing that bad in La Liga this year. 14th place, 2 points off the relegation places and one of the worst defences in the league.

This is a far cry from the team that always hovered around the European spots.

stevoc

That's what I'm saying, I had no preference.

The notion that you need a preference of the winner when either choice is undesirable is very very silly. Almost certain there's a philosophy term for scenarios like this..like asking you if a mugger put a gun to your mother and father's head, who would you choose to die.
:lol:

This isn't a hypothetical thought exercise though mate.

It was a very real either/or scenario. I don't want either of them to win at anything but one of them was 100% going to win the league last year.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I did not realise Sevilla were doing that bad in La Liga this year. 14th place, 2 points off the relegation places and one of the worst defences in the league.

This is a far cry from the team that always hovered around the European spots.
They've signed terribly, have no pace in their side and really their players have no clue what formation they need to be in. Not convinced Sampaoli will even make the europa games if they lose in Cadiz straight after the break.

Pintu

Teah sorry, it was a bit of a lame jab at people who told me Roma is better :wenger:

Mou is a bit of a cup fighter of course, But after our win today our confidence is soaring. If we can beat Ajax away, we can beat Roma.
That part I definitely agree with. It‘s at least a 50-50… But I think you’d be a clear favorite against Lazio... Your draw wasn’t too bad. Roma and potentially Leverkusen on the semis are both beatable on your current form.

drmuji

Watched the game. I thought Gatafe should have scored more. Savilla didn't create anything throughout the game. I was really disappointed with the draw. But looking at them today gives me a lot of hope

Ted Lasso

This isn't a hypothetical thought exercise though mate.

It was a very real either/or scenario. I don't want either of them to win at anything but one of them was 100% going to win the league last year.
At that point (well..never as a United fan) there's no reason to root for one over the other. At least for me. I can understand some thinking one of them deserving it more than the other. But coming back to this season, I've never considered Arsenal as the same category of rival as Liverpool and certainly not City. Even if you asked me City v Arsenal for the title during the Wenger days id have thought it absurd to root let alone have the preference for City winning the League

Anustart89

They've signed terribly, have no pace in their side and really their players have no clue what formation they need to be in. Not convinced Sampaoli will even make the europa games if they lose in Cadiz straight after the break.
Oh no, not El bounce del nuevo entrenador :(

stevoc

At that point (well..never as a United fan) there's no reason to root for one over the other. At least for me. I can understand some thinking one of them deserving it more than the other. But coming back to this season, I've never considered Arsenal as the same category of rival as Liverpool and certainly not City. Even if you asked me City v Arsenal for the title during the Wenger days id have thought it absurd to root let alone have the preference for City winning the League
No United fan (or at least I hope not) is 'rooting' for City. But if it's City or Liverpool for the league, then the Berties are the lesser of two evils.

Irwin99

We really should be beating a relegation form team, plus we owe these guys one.

Juventus are looking slightly ominous with their form. They had a big points deduction and could still realistically finish in the top 4 in their league at this rate. Wonder which of Juve or Sporting would be the easier semi final?

Ted Lasso

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC

stevoc

So you're still supporting a bitter rival to win the premier league. Call it what you want but you're rooting.
Having a preference between two undesirable outcomes isn’t supporting one of them mate.

Neither is an acceptable answer

But going late into last season one of them was going to win it. There's no realistic scenario or series of events last season where neither of them would have won it.

So neither wasn't an option.

No no, he's right. Out of Liverpool and City, city are always preferable.
Indeed.

DickDastardly

So, we're actually playing the return leg 2 days before a Wembley semi final?

We need to batter them at OT and send out Maguire and the rest of them third string players to Seville.

What do we want more? FA Cup final vs City or EL final?