Europa League / Conference League 23/24

jadajos

Last Man Standing finalist 2022/23
Supports
Football
Leverkusen go level.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I can actually see Brighton scoring enough to make the 2nd leg interesting. Probably not a full comeback, but I don't think the 2nd leg will be as comfortable as it may seem for Roma now.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
Not being buried by Aston Villa and even making it a draw with us having the better chances. That deserves a beer.

izec

I can actually see Brighton scoring enough to make the 2nd leg interesting. Probably not a full comeback, but I don't think the 2nd leg will be as comfortable as it may seem for Roma now.
They will also leak goals

marktan

He's done this to kill the tie in the first leg. We go to United in the FA Cup three days after the second leg and have had a decent break since playing Forest to prepare for these two games.
Which is terrible reasoning for a second rate cup. You're essentially saying you'll go into the City tie severely handicapped because you care about the second tier european competition more. Not only do City have an extra days rest, they've also rested Foden, De Bruyne, Bernardo Silva, Stones, Walker and Ake whom all started the United match.

Klopp did the exact same thing multiple times with the likes of Mane and Salah in previous years with his refusal to rotate in Europe and you'll pay the price once again for it.

erikcred

Which is terrible reasoning for a second rate cup. You're essentially saying you'll go into the City tie severely handicapped because you care about the second tier european competition more. Not only do City have an extra days rest, they've also rested Foden, De Bruyne, Bernardo Silva, Stones, Walker and Ake whom all started the United match.

Klopp did the exact same thing multiple times with the likes of Mane and Salah in previous years with his refusal to rotate in Europe and you'll pay the price once again for it.
Klopp clearly thinks he's got a better chance of winning all of their cup competitions than pulling off an unlikely title win.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Never in a million years is that a pen in the Benfica/Rangers game. :lol:

The handball rule somehow manages to be even more of a joke in European games than the PL.

RedRocket9908

Penalty for Benfica is the correct decision there as harsh as it is, the Rangers defender has his arm stretched out in an un-natural position.

V.O.

Penalty for Benfica is the correct decision there as harsh as it is, the Rangers defender has his arm stretched out in an un-natural position.
No, it's complete bollocks. His arm is there because he's jostling with a Benfica player, then he heads the ball directly into his own arm.

No way can that be a penalty, it's just silly.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Other than clueless chaps like this fella on fan channels was anyone seriously considering him as a possible United manager

A lot of people would… and you wouldn’t be writing this if it was Brighton that won 4-0…

RedRocket9908

No, it's complete bollocks. His arm is there because he's jostling with a Benfica player, then he heads the ball directly into his own arm.

No way can that be a penalty, it's just silly.
Under IFAB rules which are what are used in UEFA competitions its a penalty unfortunatly, there have been a few more ridiculous penalties for handball for that given this season including the 2 in our group stage match in Copenhagen.

V.O.

Under IFAB rules which are what are used in UEFA competitions its a penalty unfortunatly, there have been a few more ridiculous penalties for handball for that given this season including the 2 in our group stage match in Copenhagen.
Yeah, I'm not saying it isn't "correct under the current interpretation of the rules" or whatever. Just that the interpretation itself is crazy. The Martinez one in the Europa last year might have been the most egregious.

For all the faults in PL refereeing, I think that's (correctly) not given there, and it's mad that the same rules are applied in different ways in different competitions.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
This is what I was saying the other day about a De Zerbi team when someone was comparing him and inzaghi. He has a few battering in the way he plays.
He doesn't have Inzaghi's players either though. I don't think most people appreciate exactly who it is Brighton is playing with and making look good. I'm not sure there was a single Brighton player that would have started this game for Roma. And like, it's not even particularly close, other than maybe Adingra vs El Sharaawy. You could say he should take fewer risks given this difference, but then if they did that they'd be relegation fodder instead of playing for europe, either...teams that aren't used to defend deep rarely do it well when called upon it, especially teams like Brighton who don't exactly have world class defenders and goalkeeper...
Fecking Roma. I hate penalties :(
Tbf you was lucky you even got to penalties. And De Rossi was still in the process of Demourinhoifying them...Mou had them convinced they were Lecce...

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
He doesn't have Inzaghi's players either though. I don't think most people appreciate exactly who it is Brighton is playing with and making look good. I'm not sure there was a single Brighton player that would have started this game for Roma. And like, it's not even particularly close, other than maybe Adingra vs El Sharaawy. You could say he should take fewer risks given this difference, but then if they did that they'd be relegation fodder instead of playing for europe, either...teams that aren't used to defend deep rarely do it well when called upon it, especially teams like Brighton who don't exactly have world class defenders and goalkeeper...

Tbf you was lucky you even got to penalties. And De Rossi was still in the process of Demourinhoifying them...Mou had them convinced they were Lecce...
Beyond the first half I wasnt that scared. We actually seemed more fit in extra time.

Once we got to penalties though... the Dutch in a shootoht against Italians only ends one way.

V.O.

Goldson :lol:

There's nobody anywhere near him. Benfica have just somehow been awarded two goals despite being complete shite in this game.

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
Amazing UEL Ro16 first legs to watch..
All the games played today bar Freiburg West Ham had at least FOUR goals.

Simply a different world compared to the UCL KO stage.

Oranges038

Mad that he's still only 31, feels like it was about 20 years ago that he was touted as being a future star.

V.O.

Mad that he's still only 31, feels like it was about 20 years ago that he was touted as being a future star.
Yeah, in his breakout season at Milan he was playing alongside Seedorf, Nesta, Inzaghi, Gattuso, Ambrosini, Zambrotta... No way the bloke isn't at least 40.

Oranges038

Yeah, in his breakout season at Milan he was playing alongside Seedorf, Nesta, Inzaghi, Gattuso, Ambrosini, Zambrotta... No way the bloke isn't at least 40.
There was also Van Bommel, Cassano, Pato, Robinho, Zlatan, Thiago Silva..

He needs his wrists scanned.

BabySinclair

I'm not allowed to use a Twitter link but the guy Dale Johnson has made a big update for the extra CL places.

Serie A is nearly there.

West Ham must beat Freiburg......otherwise the other place will very likely go to the Bundesliga.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Good result for Freiburg, but i expect West Ham to go through despite it.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Explain yourself, @Zehner !
If we win the treble this season, there's nothing left for Xabi to achieve in the next one. So I guess the team played for the coach by playing against him ;)

But in the end they couldn't help themselves, they're just too good!

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
If we win the treble this season, there's nothing left for Xabi to achieve in the next one. So I guess the team played for the coach by playing against him ;)

But in the end they couldn't help themselves, they're just too good!
I am in awe. Now gib Xabi