Europa League / Conference League 23/24

Telsim

Foreign leagues are championship standard
Definitely doesn't look like it, does it? We also got massively shit on and finished dead last in our group. English teams aren't as good as they fancy themselves. With the exception of City, that is.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Leverkusen 32 shots - West Ham 1. 72% possession too. Are West Ham United in disguise? :wenger:

I was late to the party, only caught the last 20 minutes of the Benfica - Marseille match. How was Joao Neves?

LilienFan

Supports
Darmstadt
Say what you want about Henderson, Fabinho or Milner, but they were leaders in that midfield. That current midfield might be good, when it´s going well, but they lack in the grapefruits department. This Liverpool team actually reminds of the Arsenal´s team of the last decade: zero killer instinct and Nunez is one of the main culprit. I watched the Leverkusen game and Liverpool without sound. I´m still waiting for the corner in the 15th minute, but apparently the stupid grin master really shanked the ball past the goal without even a save from Moussa. Also why did Klopp take off Elliott instead of Endno, Nunass or Gakpoo. Seems he really needs a sabbatical. Some strange decisions.

Really hate to see West Bus United get done by two late goals after showing so much ambition throughout the game. Must have had close to 20% possession.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I can't wrap my head around how good Roma have been since De Rossi took over

Strachan8

Leverkusen 32 shots - West Ham 1. 72% possession too. Are West Ham United in disguise? :wenger:

I was late to the party, only caught the last 20 minutes of the Benfica - Marseille match. How was Joao Neves?

33!

Imagine if Utd had delivered that performance!

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Perhaps he should revert to the old crossball in the second half. :lol:

Feck me, that Fulham episode with Moyes was really embarrassing.
Just remembered your post and checked the stats... West Ham had 4 crosses in the whole match, none found their target :lol: (Leverkusen had 22 crosses/10 successful).

erikcred

Definitely doesn't look like it, does it? We also got massively shit on and finished dead last in our group. English teams aren't as good as they fancy themselves. With the exception of City, that is.
All of the PL is just meh right now. City are nothing special. They got their asses handed to them at Anfield. It was a miracle they escaped with a draw. And arsenal took 4 points off them this season. City are not that much better than these two.

always_hoping

Of they could do easily come back. I actually think they probably will
And if Liverpool don't come back they'll see this exit as a blessing in disguise for the Premier League race

This is the schedule if they go through.

May 2nd - Europa league semi final 1st leg

May 5th Tottenham (A)

May 9th Europa league semi final 2nd
leg

May 13th Aston Villa (A)

And it will also help if Man City and Arsenal progress to the Champions league semi finals.

Blackwidow

I think Leverkusen winning means Villa are single handedly keeping us above Germany in the race for the 2 bonus Champions League places

This is the top 10 as of April 10.

1. Italy, 17.714
2. England, 16.500
3. Germany, 16.500
4. Spain, 15.062
5. France, 14.750
6. Czechia, 13.250
7. Belgium, 13.200
8. Turkey, 11.500
9. Portugal, 10.1666
10. Netherlands, 10.000
As told - with England had 8 teams - Germany 7, so the points of today get divided by 7 for Germany and by 8 for England

RankCountrypointsclubs
1Italy18,4287
2Germany16,7867
3England16,7508
4Spain15,0628
5France14,7506
6Belgium13,6005
7Tschechien13,5004
8Turkey11,5004
9Portugal11,0006
10Netherlands10,0005

SirBillNic

Supports
Spurs
Premier league title contender being rinsed at home against Italy's number 6. Fair to say the premier league is closer to the Championship than to the Serie A :nervous:
I think Klopp threw the game with his starting 11. That just showed zero ambition. They could do better in Italy.

That said I feel like Pool are running out of steam at the wrong time. They look worse and worse every week. I can't see them keeping pace with Arsenal and more so Man City.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Championship football is fecking amazing

the_cliff

And if Liverpool don't come back they'll see this exit as a blessing in disguise for the Premier League race

May 5th Tottenham (A)

leg

May 13th Aston Villa (A)

And it will also help if Man City and Arsenal progress to the Champions league semi finals.
Liverpool are no where near Arsenal/City, it will be a miracle if they end up winning the league.

BorisManUtd

Atalanta have to remain focused in 2nd leg otherwise I can see Liverpool making a comeback easily.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
All of the PL is just meh right now. City are nothing special. They got their asses handed to them at Anfield. It was a miracle they escaped with a draw. And arsenal took 4 points off them this season. City are not that much better than these two.
Yet they are on course for a 90+ point season and are favourites to knock out Real and reach a Champions League semi:confused:

May 5th Tottenham (A)

leg

May 13th Aston Villa (A)

Liverpool are at home to Spurs. The interesting thing is after Palace, Liverpool have 4 away games in a row, Atalanta, Fulham, Everton, West Ham.

erikcred

Yet they are on course for a 90+ point season and are favourites to knock out Real and reach a Champions League semi:confused:
So are Liverpool and Arsenal. That was my point. None of them is head and shoulders above the others.

erikcred

If they put up that kind of defensive performance again they'll be good. You'd have to think at home they'll do it at that score.
If Liverpool put up the same kind of defensive performance then it wouldn't matter if Atalanta play with 9. I mean look at their second and especially the third goal. That was some Germany v Brazil 2014 shit.

SambaBoy

I can't wrap my head around how good Roma have been since De Rossi took over
Yeah he's done really well.

Is it a repeat of a club legend doing really well initially after taking over from Mourinho though? Like Ole

Adz_99

Atalanta have to remain focused in 2nd leg otherwise I can see Liverpool making a comeback easily.
No chance.

Overturning a 3-0 deficit away from home would trump the time they did it against Barcelona.

laughtersassassin

Don't really care if they come back and win this as long as they don't win the Prem.

That's said how sweet would it be if they won neither!

Adz_99

Not at all. They won 5-0 away to them a few years back. One early goal and Atalanta will buckle.
Covid year in an empty stadium and they were actually quite good at the time.

This current crop aren't all that special. There's a reason they've not won a game against any of the top 6 sides in the league.

DJBillRemfry

Supports
West Ham United
it's going to sound odd looking at the stats but I really didn't think much of Leverkusen.

Looked like we were going to take a 0-0, or at the very worst 0-1, back to Stratford with less than ten minutes to go. The second goal has probably killed the tie.

Think they'd struggle for top 4 in the PL if they were subjected to PL style physicality on a consistent basis.

the_cliff

Will be no miracle look at the table and the run-ins for all three clubs
Their last good performance in the league was in the end of Feb. They've been insanely lucky since then and the results are starting to catch up to their overall performances. Play the way they did today they drop points to most teams in the league regardless of opposition.

Calidad

Supports
Hibernian
it's going to sound odd looking at the stats but I really didn't think much of Leverkusen.

Looked like we were going to take a 0-0, or at the very worst 0-1, back to Stratford with less than ten minutes to go. The second goal has probably killed the tie.

Think they'd struggle for top 4 in the PL if they were subjected to PL style physicality on a consistent basis.
The highlights gave the impression that WHU took a bit of a battering.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
33-1 shots. But the truth also is that West Ham did a really good job defending for most of the game. The problem with this is that Leverkusen feels no urgency to force goals. They know they will tire defenders, they know they can bring fresh players from the bench. WHU couldn't react and everybody knew it. So Leverkusen had no need to take risks by going into physical battles.

DJBillRemfry

Supports
West Ham United
They had lots of shots but nothing requiring a superb goalkeeping performance. It felt as though they'd run out of ideas for much of the second half. Late subs changed it.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
They had lots of shots but nothing requiring a superb goalkeeping performance. It felt as though they'd run out of ideas for much of the second half. Late subs changed it.
West Ham was lucky that it was still 0-0 after 80 minutes. When half of the game happens in your own third, it is only a matter of time until the ball finds its way into the net. And we also had a couple of big chances which didn't go in, like Schick's header (which Fabianski saved superbly by the way) or the triple chance after a corner that required two clearances when Fabianski was already beaten.

By the way, I just read West Ham hadn't allowed more than 15 shots all season until we created 33. Think the result was deserved all things considered :)