Europa League / Europa Conference League 2021/22

Real Name

Not just Rangers end either.

Apparently Spanish cops were searching fans on entry into the stadium and just chucking things like powerbanks and airpods straight into bins. I suppose they'll argue could be thrown or whatever but imagine being out all day, phone running out of battery and you need to meet friends or family after the game.
That's simply scandalous. They didnt have to serve alcohol but nothing to offer. My god.

sugar_kane

It's funny I was watching extra time and wondering why the Rangers fans looked so fecking sad / deflated already and guessed they were sobering up after a long day on the piss.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
I wouldn't say it was a fluke but they did get a lot of breaks on the way which made it possible. Which, before the Rangers fans get their panties in a twist, is totally fine. You need that if you're going to reach a European final.

Dortmund's stadium being heavily restricted and Haaland being injured. Rangers fans of all people know how important a home crowd is in this tournament so you can't underestimate how important 80 thousand home fans would've been to Dortmund. Haaland being injured doesn't need an explanation.

After that it was inevitable they were getting Red Star Belgrade and Braga. It seems like they always get the favourable draw. Brondby and Sparta Prague in the groups. Even in their last campaign they were getting crap like Antwerp and Slavia. SP were decent but they would've beat them if they had a crowd at Ibrox.

Leipzig was an impressive result but again, the goal that sent them to the final came as a result of the Leipzig keeper bizarrely tripping over his own feet when he went to catch a simple cross and Nkunku literally missing an open goal in the first leg.

I think they'll reach another European final in the next 10 years. Combine that with another favourable draw here or there and I don't see why it isn't possible. They know how to set up in Europe. It's the one thing I respect about them and hate about Celtic. They play defensive football and look to launch balls into the channels and counter when it's on. That's what you need to do at this level. Celtic meanwhile go out and play against teams like Bayer Leverkusen as if it was a standard home game v Ross County and get destroyed 4-0.

I thought it was out too but I have much less faith in VAR doing its job. Lundstram could have very easily been sent off for his foul on Rode at the start and Goldson 100% should have conceded a penalty. Seems to me that in games like these VAR is too scared to get involved because they don't want to 'ruin the spectacle'.
:lol::lol::lol:

Even if you didn't list Celtic as your favorite team it would have been so obvious that this is a Celtic fans' post. Come on now, you can't take anything away from Rangers. They beat 3 teams with a higher profile then themselves to get to the final. Maybe for Scots they were the favorites against Braga, but I think for many outsiders Braga was the favorite against Rangers. Braga has been more impressive in Europe in the past 10 years (not only more impressive than Rangers, but also than Celtic). On top of that they got past clearly higher rated teams like Dortmund and Leipzig, who may also have been the two biggest favorites to win this competition before they were eliminated. That's not all a fluke or just getting lucky and as others mentioned as well, you need some luck to get to these stages of a European competition.

About reaching another European final, maybe Conference League (even Feyenoord got to the final), but I don't see Rangers getting to another EL final anytime soon. They did deserve to be in this final with the teams that they have beaten though. Shame for them that they played such a poor match yesterday. Would have liked Rangers to win it, but in the end Frankfurt was the better side and deserved it a little more in yesterdays match.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I've only watched Rangers a few times this season, mostly to try and get a glimpse of Amad, but each time I've seen them, Calvin Bassey has been monstrous. He has forwards just bouncing off him. Physically impressive, but looks decent on the ball and is always where he should be. Very good again last night. I'd be surprised if he's not linked with with a PL move this summer.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
:lol::lol::lol:

Even if you didn't list Celtic as your favorite team it would have been so obvious that this is a Celtic fans' post. Come on now, you can't take anything away from Rangers. They beat 3 teams with a higher profile then themselves to get to the final. Maybe for Scots they were the favorites against Braga, but I think for many outsiders Braga was the favorite against Rangers. Braga has been more impressive in Europe in the past 10 years (not only more impressive than Rangers, but also than Celtic). On top of that they got past clearly higher rated teams like Dortmund and Leipzig, who may also have been the two biggest favorites to win this competition before they were eliminated. That's not all a fluke or just getting lucky and as others mentioned as well, you need some luck to get to these stages of a European competition.

About reaching another European final, maybe Conference League (even Feyenoord got to the final), but I don't see Rangers getting to another EL final anytime soon. They did deserve to be in this final with the teams that they have beaten though. Shame for them that they played such a poor match yesterday. Would have liked Rangers to win it, but in the end Frankfurt was the better side and deserved it a little more in yesterdays match.

Braga are terrible. Truly terrible. A weaker Rangers side beat a better Braga side only like 2 years ago in the Europa. I was confident they'd beat Braga and I think most of their fans were too. That was the club they wanted from the draw.

I'd fancy Celtic to beat Braga and we're absolutely atrocious in Europe.

Kopral Jono

Big worldwide following? I'm sure people outside Scotland are familiar with the old firm derby and take some interest. But I don't think many are invested in their success in any way. I'll even bet a lot of people don't even know the SPL format.
By worldwide I mean Scots abroad and the Irish diaspora, to which there are plenty.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
I've only watched Rangers a few times this season, mostly to try and get a glimpse of Amad, but each time I've seen them, Calvin Bassey has been monstrous. He has forwards just bouncing off him. Physically impressive, but looks decent on the ball and is always where he should be. Very good again last night. I'd be surprised if he's not linked with with a PL move this summer.
He's incredible. I get van Dijk vibes from him. Not as good with the ball or defensively of course but the way he just strolls through games brushing attackers aside is very Virgil-esque. He won't be at Ibrox for long. I think he could go to the top.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
The state of Rangers fans leaving 5 minutes after the end. Shocking. Your team made the final, yeah lost, but it was still a incredible journey, yet they dont stay to clap them but leave in masse.
Correct sir. This is how it's done :D

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
He's incredible. I get van Dijk vibes from him. Not as good with the ball or defensively of course but the way he just strolls through games brushing attackers aside is very Virgil-esque. He won't be at Ibrox for long. I think he could go to the top.
Same, I remember watching VVD at Pittodrie a few years back when I lived up that way, he didn't have to get out of first gear, big Adam Rooney just bounced off him all game, he made it all look so easy. Bassey has a similar sort of physical dominance that just looks effortless. Great to watch.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

Apparently Spanish cops were searching fans on entry into the stadium and just chucking things like powerbanks and airpods straight into bins. I suppose they'll argue could be thrown or whatever but imagine being out all day, phone running out of battery and you need to meet friends or family after the game.
I've followed Chelsea away to Spanish clubs twice over the years. Both in Madrid. It's the only European country I've felt the police were so aggressive and needlessly heavy handed in dealing with the fans.

ShinjiNinja26

UEFA are a complete shambles! I remember this happened at Old Trafford in the FA Cup game against Middlesbrough and they said it was because the card machines went down, don’t know the reason for it happening last night though. Unacceptable anyway with the heat in Seville.

RoyH1

I've followed Chelsea away to Spanish clubs twice over the years. Both in Madrid. It's the only European country I've felt the police were so aggressive and needlessly heavy handed in dealing with the fans.
Agree. Spanish police are very confrontational for European standards and seem to want to clamp down to any "loud behaviour"

poleglass red

You have to give Rangers credit for getting to the final and it going to penalties, but I just felt had they been more adventurous they could have won that game. I got England getting to the euro final vibes about them ie getting to the final was good enough. I though their subs were poor, in extra time they had chances to really go at Frankfurt, who let's be honest aren't a great side. A bit of pace, bit more guile in mid in that extra time and I feel they could have won it. Experienced players like Davis and Arfield, were about holding on as opposed to going for it, Arfield at one point was the false 9. I feel with finals, if you give it all you can, and lose, you take it on the chin. Rangers like England I feel, with a bit more attacking instinct from their managers could have won.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Agree. Spanish police are very confrontational for European standards and seem to want to clamp down to any "loud behaviour"
I had friends staying in Albufeira. They were out in the strip Tuesday night, said it was a great atmosphere, friendly, mixing with locals, & bar staff enjoying it. Then out of nowhere, the local police came, yielding batons, injuring a few fans and shut the strip down. He couldn't get over how they escalated a situation that wasn't there in the first place.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Big worldwide following? I'm sure people outside Scotland are familiar with the old firm derby and take some interest. But I don't think many are invested in their success in any way. I'll even bet a lot of people don't even know the SPL format.
You do realise there are Scots outside Scotland. A lot of them. People who have emigrated and brought their kids up to be Rangers/Celtic fans. They have massive support. You are underestimating how big a clubs they were and in some eyes still are.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
You have to give Rangers credit for getting to the final and it going to penalties, but I just felt had they been more adventurous they could have won that game. I got England getting to the euro final vibes about them ie getting to the final was good enough. I though their subs were poor, in extra time they had chances to really go at Frankfurt, who let's be honest aren't a great side. A bit of pace, bit more guile in mid in that extra time and I feel they could have won it. Experienced players like Davis and Arfield, were about holding on as opposed to going for it, Arfield at one point was the false 9. I feel with finals, if you give it all you can, and lose, you take it on the chin. Rangers like England I feel, with a bit more attacking instinct from their managers could have won.
You do have the factor in that Rangers were forced to try different options at false 9's because their 2 actual forwards that can play number 9 were injured. Morelos is arguably our best players and he's saves his best performances for Europe, & Roofe wasn't deemed fit enough to play more than a few minutes.

poleglass red

You do have the factor in that Rangers were forced to try different options at false 9's because their 2 actual forwards that can play number 9 were injured. Morelos is arguably our best players and he's saves his best performances for Europe, & Roofe wasn't deemed fit enough to play more than a few minutes.
Yup I know that, but Arfield, come on, has to better options than him at that position. Not even that one change to be honest, just felt the whole performance was negative. I get that if they were playing a top side, but that wasn't a great Frankfurt team, and the times Rangers did show intent they looked like they could hurt them. Everything was flat, even the fans were quiet, bar a spell around the goal they didn't bring much energy to the game, especially considering their numbers. Again kudos for getting there but if I were a Rangers I'd feel disappointed in not going for it. I feel had GVB went for it from the off, it would have lifted the fans more.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Yeah, everytime I have been to Spain, they have been ridiculously confrontational. Literally seen them throw peoples house and car keys into the bin as they could 'be used as projectiles'.

erikcred

By worldwide I mean Scots abroad and the Irish diaspora, to which there are plenty.
You do realise there are Scots outside Scotland. A lot of them. People who have emigrated and brought their kids up to be Rangers/Celtic fans. They have massive support. You are underestimating how big a clubs they were and in some eyes still are.
Fair enough!

MUFC OK

I have no affinity to either club but the way Celtic fans have been shitting themselves over Rangers run in this competition and now gloating is pretty pathetic, really.

Will only be topped by the lengths I’ll go to if Liverpool don’t win the quad.

Last edited:

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Yup I know that, but Arfield, come on, has to better options than him at that position. Not even that one change to be honest, just felt the whole performance was negative. I get that if they were playing a top side, but that wasn't a great Frankfurt team, and the times Rangers did show intent they looked like they could hurt them. Everything was flat, even the fans were quiet, bar a spell around the goal they didn't bring much energy to the game, especially considering their numbers. Again kudos for getting there but if I were a Rangers I'd feel disappointed in not going for it. I feel had GVB went for it from the off, it would have lifted the fans more.
Seen a fan posted this on social media about the atmosphere.

For a UEFA showcase final, in fact for any game, it was disgraceful - verging on downright dangerous, and without being over dramatic, life threatening!!

I’ve read some peoples comments on how ‘flat’ they felt the ‘Bears’ were in the stadium - well let me tell you from first hand experience what I think the issue was!!!

1. Most will have walked about 3 miles (at least) to the ground, in 30+ degrees heat.

2. Most arrived at the ground 3hrs prior to kickoff, as advised by UEFA and sat in the blistering sun.

3. We prepared ourself by buying water to keep us hydrated, only to have it confiscated by the Gestapo at the entrance.

4. On entry we tried to replace the confiscated fluids - but NOT 1 kiosk was opened - and the gormless steward’s couldn’t advise when they would open.

5. About an hour later we queued for over half an hour to use the ONE kiosk they did open (9000 fans mind!)

6. Once they eventually opened all the kiosks they very quickly ran out (you read that right, ran out) of water.

7. Fans resorted to drinking tap water from the toilets - until they turned the water off (yes you read that right too - they turned the water off)!!!

People (myself) included were actually uncomfortable with it all - so before people comment on the ‘lack of singing’ etc, just bare that in mind.

What I will tell you though is that we will be hydrated for Hampden on Saturday, so if you care to join us - we’ll raise the roof together.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I think City fans had a bad experience in Spain (possibly Madrid) a few years ago.

Dante

Average bang
See my post before yours.

How do you have a showpiece UEFA final and have no access to food or water in this day and age, especially in 30 degree heat.

That's extremely dangerous to say the least.
This is the way Rangers fans left Manchester in 2008 after their last EL final:

Seville did the right thing. I would go to work through Piccadilly Gardens around that time. The entire area stunk of piss for the next week.

poleglass red

For a UEFA showcase final, in fact for any game, it was disgraceful - verging on downright dangerous, and without being over dramatic, life threatening!!

I’ve read some peoples comments on how ‘flat’ they felt the ‘Bears’ were in the stadium - well let me tell you from first hand experience what I think the issue was!!!

1. Most will have walked about 3 miles (at least) to the ground, in 30+ degrees heat.

2. Most arrived at the ground 3hrs prior to kickoff, as advised by UEFA and sat in the blistering sun.

3. We prepared ourself by buying water to keep us hydrated, only to have it confiscated by the Gestapo at the entrance.

4. On entry we tried to replace the confiscated fluids - but NOT 1 kiosk was opened - and the gormless steward’s couldn’t advise when they would open.

5. About an hour later we queued for over half an hour to use the ONE kiosk they did open (9000 fans mind!)

6. Once they eventually opened all the kiosks they very quickly ran out (you read that right, ran out) of water.

7. Fans resorted to drinking tap water from the toilets - until they turned the water off (yes you read that right too - they turned the water off)!!!

People (myself) included were actually uncomfortable with it all - so before people comment on the ‘lack of singing’ etc, just bare that in mind.

What I will tell you though is that we will be hydrated for Hampden on Saturday, so if you care to join us - we’ll raise the roof together.

why did they only do this to the Rangers fans?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

How was that any different for Frankfurt fans though?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Quick sidenote, how have you been satisfied with Juranović?

And @Gio, youse with Barišić?

Question goes for other Celtic or Rangers fans here. :)
He's decent enough. He had his best season in 2020/21, lots of assists and he was unlucky to get injured just before the Euros. I think he took that injury into this campaign as he's not hit the same heights, his confidence was shot midway through the season and defensively he was a mess. Picked up again and looks more reliable but I don't think he's as essential as he once was.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
This is the way Rangers fans left Manchester in 2008 after their last EL final:

Seville did the right thing. I would go to work through Piccadilly Gardens around that time. The entire area stunk of piss for the next week.
I know what Rangers did to Manchester, I was there, I was at the game.

Seville did the right thing in organisation, drafting in thousands of extra Portaloos and bins, opening a stadium and having a safe controlled environment for a fan screening for ticketless fans, unlike Manchester they made better provisions for the massive crowd. Im not condoning the action of the scourge of society who were intent in causing the trouble in Manchester though. Thankfully Seville wasn't as easy to get to for these low lifes.

However, that doesn't excuse a stadium in this day and age not giving options for food and water. You think that's acceptable to have 42k fans have very little options for that for the best part of 4 hours?

why did they only do this to the Rangers fans?
They didn't, that was stadium wide.

How was that any different for Frankfurt fans though?
It wasn't. However, you are underestimating your average Scot, how would usually self combust in 38 degree heat, and who's hangovers were probably kicking in! :lol:

Last edited:

Kopral Jono

I obviously wasn't there, but was this the case with Frankfurt fans, too? I may sound a bit harsh but if they were treated the same Rangers fans have little to no excuse for not showing up, considering two-third of the stadium was blue.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I obviously wasn't there, but was this the case with Frankfurt fans, too? I may sound a bit harsh but if they were treated the same Rangers fans have little to no excuse for not showing up, considering two-third of the stadium was blue.
I think its not right to say the fans didn't show up. Plenty journalists that were there praised the atmosphere from both sides. I just think everyone assumed it would be like the home game vs Leipzig that wowed everyone with its atmosphere, but I still think they did ok. People need to remember that the Germans are well renowned for providing great fan led atmospheres, Franfurt I believe have 1 of the best travelling supports.

I read that the Frankfurt Ultras all received tickets for the game, so it was more easy for them to organise Tifos and things like that, Rangers was just on a purely points based system so they didnt seem as organised that way.

Kopral Jono

I think its not right to say the fans didn't show up. Plenty journalists that were there praised the atmosphere from both sides. I just think everyone assumed it would be like the home game vs Leipzig that wowed everyone with its atmosphere, but I still think they did ok. People need to remember that the Germans are well renowned for providing great fan led atmospheres, Franfurt I believe have 1 of the best travelling supports.

I read that the Frankfurt Ultras all received tickets for the game, so it was more easy for them to organise Tifos and things like that, Rangers was just on a purely points based system so they didnt seem as organised that way.
Good point on bolded but I think my original point still stands. I even said earlier in this thread that if only Rangers fans channeled their inner Ibrox-on-a European-night last night, the outcome of the game could have been different as players from both sides tire. The only time Rangers fans were loud last night, at least on television, was right after Aribo's goal. They also tried to start a long-ish chant in the first half which I recognised from Red Star game but was quickly drowned out by the Frankfurt end midway through it.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Frankfurt's twitter account has uploaded some videos from their victory parade:

Probably in the 100s of thousands of people.

El Buffalo

Supports
Rangers
It seems like they always get the favourable draw. Brondby and Sparta Prague in the groups. Even in their last campaign they were getting crap like Antwerp and Slavia. SP were decent but they would've beat them if they had a crowd at Ibrox.
This always makes me laugh.. The same Sparta Prague who 12 months earlier scored 8 against Celtic over 2 games. :lol:

You also got bumped out of the CL qualifiers by another one of those easy teams that Rangers always draw(and scudded). But that's none of my business