Europa League / Europa Conference League 2021/22

Real Name

The state of Rangers fans leaving 5 minutes after the end. Shocking. Your team made the final, yeah lost, but it was still a incredible journey, yet they dont stay to clap them but leave in masse.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
For 20 mins or so rangers looked a level below, Frankfurt were full of confidence and looked like they'd win at a canter.

Rangers eventually got a foothold in the game though and whilst perhaps not showing the quality of Frankfurt started playing quicker and direct and started to impose themselves. After that it was an even game. Frankfurt shoudve had a pen but rangers had a huge chance in the last minutes and should've won it with that.

Lymstrom (sp) & hamada looked good for them. Bassey and Aribo good for rangers.

Pretty even game really, rangers acquitted themselves well, Frankfurt showing flashes of quality

Ramseys pen was really poor
Thank you!

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
The state of Rangers fans leaving 5 minutes after the end. Shocking. Your team made the final, yeah lost, but it was still a incredible journey, yet they dont stay to clap them but leave in masse.
See my post before yours.

How do you have a showpiece UEFA final and have no access to food or water in this day and age, especially in 30 degree heat.

That's extremely dangerous to say the least.

Last edited:

Kopral Jono

Thank you!
I thought Rangers were lucky the game went to penalties in the first place. Their goal was pure luck and Frankfurt had plenty of good chances, Kamada missed a chance he would have buried home any other day and the penalty incident was a stonewaller. That said, Rangers were the better side during extra time and perhaps should have won it with that late golden chance. In the end it was one step too far for Rangers and Frankfurt deserved winners.

Real Name

See my post before yours.

How do you have a showpiece UEFA final and have no access to food or water in this day and age, especially in 30 degree heat.

That's extremely dangerous to say the least.
Didnt know that, really baffling that regarding food and water. European final and you cant get anything.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Think of the time, money and energy that could be saved if the Europa final just went to penalties at the start... think if you put to the to last losing finalists together... the penalties might go on all night!

Seriously, I turned on just after the Frankfurt equaliser and said it was going to pens. there must be a better way to sort a result out. I was a fan of the golden goal in the World Cup ages ago - I know you are far from guaranteed a goal but at least the braver side should win more often than not

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I thought Rangers were lucky the game went to penalties in the first place. Their goal was pure luck and Frankfurt had plenty of good chances, Kamada missed a chance he would have buried home any other day and the penalty incident was a stonewaller. That said, Rangers were the better side during extra time and perhaps should have won it with that late golden chance. In the end it was one step too far for Rangers and Frankfurt deserved winners.
I suppose in these games the teams are difrentiated by the tiniest of the margins.

Antarion

As a neutral this wasn't a great game, but I still liked it. Remember the days of the glory 90s football before big money went batshit crazy with the clubs.

I really think modern Champions League and the whole money was a really bad move for most fans except for a few clubs and some neutrals who want to see only highest quality football.

Football could be so much more than what it is right now. Bit of a shame. Getting nostalgic here.

Congrats to these teams and especially Frankfurt!

Reactions: Invictus

Flexdegea

they are unionists. They don't consider themselves Scottish, but British. In fact, a lot of them think of themselves as English.

Here's a taste of the mentalists in their ranks. Do pay particular attention to how much money the queen brings in, and what its like living in Ireland.

Didn't know I was living on the streets, great insight, your man is total simping for England, can relate to it I see it every day over here :lol: :lol: :lol:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
To get to the final and take it to penalties was monumental for Rangers. They’ll be very disappointed but their run has increased coefficients hugely for Scotland and I’m sure they’ll be back in the CL at some stage soon which will be huge for them and the SPL again.

On balance Frankfurt were the worthy winners in the final but Rangers will be gutted they didn’t take the Kent chance / made basic defensive errors for the goal.

Kopral Jono

I suppose in these games the teams are difrentiated by the tiniest of the margins.
Yep, and I loved every minute of it. Football doesn't have to be gegenpressing or tiki-taka to be worthy of watching. Sometimes a good old war of attrition is just as compelling.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Yep, and I loved every minute of it. Football doesn't have to be gegenpressing or tiki-taka to be worthy of watching. Sometimes a good old war of attrition is just as compelling.
Agree, though on this instance as previously said couldn't catch it myself.

Classical Mechanic

They also had an insane Europa league campaign a few seasons ago when they lost on pens to Chelsea in the semis where they could’ve also won that game. They beat Inter, Lazio, Shakhtar, Marseille, and Benfica on the way and then didn’t lose against Chelsea over 180 mins but lost on pens. So they might’ve over achieves this year on the back of their belief from that season as well.
They could get out of the group. Pot one can be a big boost in that regard. It's unlikely they'll progress far in the knockouts, unless they get a gift of a draw.

they are unionists. They don't consider themselves Scottish, but British. In fact, a lot of them think of themselves as English.

Here's a taste of the mentalists in their ranks. Do pay particular attention to how much money the queen brings in, and what its like living in Ireland.

When I lived in Scotland I don't think I met a single Rangers fan that didn't think they are Scottish and I certainly didn't met a single one who thought they were English!! It's a bit of an absurd claim really. It was quite the opposite. They were all fiercely Scottish like Scots tend to be. The only distinction was that they're Unionists and saw themselves as British as well. Alex Ferguson is an example of this. He's a Rangers man and Unionist but also a deeply patriotic Scot.

I mean you can always find some of the more eccentric fans and they end up on videos for people to laugh at but it's far removed from my experience.

Last edited:

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Didnt know that, really baffling that regarding food and water. European final and you cant get anything.
Not just Rangers end either.

Apparently Spanish cops were searching fans on entry into the stadium and just chucking things like powerbanks and airpods straight into bins. I suppose they'll argue could be thrown or whatever but imagine being out all day, phone running out of battery and you need to meet friends or family after the game.

Classical Mechanic

Not just Rangers end either.

Apparently Spanish cops were searching fans on entry into the stadium and just chucking things like powerbanks and airpods straight into bins. I suppose they'll argue could be thrown or whatever but imagine being out all day, phone running out of battery and you need to meet friends or family after the game.
It's very weird. You'd think the only credible reason to have all those fans trashing your city is to sell them loads of stuff as an economic boost.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Gutted for Rangers. Frankfurt were the better team but I am not sure Rangers will have a better chance of winning such a high level European title. I know there goal was lucky, but the goal they gave away was worse as it was more of a decision, whilst the Kent miss at the end was gilt edged.

Hopefully, they'll qualify for the CL via the Play-offs.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
This is the first time that a German club outside Bayern has won a European trophy since 1997 right?

I’m very happy for Frankfurt. They were unlucky not to reach the final 3 years ago, and they were worthy winners going unbeaten in all 13 matches and being the better team during the regulation 90 minutes yesterday.

Very impressive penalties for the most part.

spe88

Amazing. All those Scottish fans who were laughing at England in the Euro’s have had a taste of their own medicine. And to top it off, it was Ramsey (Let’s see you celebrate that one!).

I would have had a bit of sympathy if it wasn’t for past events.

Kopral Jono

Gutted for Rangers. Frankfurt were the better team but I am not sure Rangers will have a better chance of winning such a high level European title. I know there goal was lucky, but the goal they gave away was worse as it was more of a decision, whilst the Kent miss at the end was gilt edged.

Hopefully, they'll qualify for the CL via the Play-offs.
With Scottish football generally on the upward trend I don't think it's far-fetched to see Rangers or Celtic reaching a Europa/Conference League final again within the next decade or so. We're talking about clubs with big worldwide following here, they'll attract decent enough players to compete at that level and in cup competitions anything can happen.

And as I speak I'm already excited for next week. Bring on the Conference League final!

55titles

Supports
Rangers
Weird comment. We do not consider ourselves English. Scottish and British. Though many will lend support to England, unlike Celtic.

erikcred

With Scottish football generally on the upward trend I don't think it's far-fetched to see Rangers or Celtic reaching a Europa/Conference League final again within the next decade or so. We're talking about clubs with big worldwide following here, they'll attract decent enough players to compete at that level and in cup competitions anything can happen.

And as I speak I'm already excited for next week. Bring on the Conference League final!
Big worldwide following? I'm sure people outside Scotland are familiar with the old firm derby and take some interest. But I don't think many are invested in their success in any way. I'll even bet a lot of people don't even know the SPL format.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

I guess with the ECL anything is possible, but I don't think this is likely to repeat at all in the EL. It was a total fluke run from Rangers and I don't see SPL finances improve to the point where their clubs can compete with their counterparts from top leagues.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I guess with the ECL anything is possible, but I don't think this is likely to repeat at all in the EL. It was a total fluke run from Rangers and I don't see SPL finances improve to the point where their clubs can compete with their counterparts from top leagues.
I wouldn’t say it was a total fluke run. They showed in 20/21 they could compete in the EL and showed it again this season. Yes, they got lucky in some games with chances the other team missed but in the lead up to the final they had loads of chances too aside from the others they scored. They deserved to be in the final.

55titles

Supports
Rangers
Rangers fans were shocking tonight, 95% of them gone 5 mins after the final whistle.
They were dehydrated. Water stolen off them by the police on entry, only to discover there was nothing to drink in the stadium. Baking in ridiculous heat for 3-4 hours with nothing to drink, and then add to that that extra time put pressure on a lot of people’s pre-arranged buses home.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I wouldn’t say it was a total fluke run. They showed in 20/21 they could compete in the EL and showed it again this season. Yes, they got lucky in some games with chances the other team missed but in the lead up to the final they had loads of chances too aside from the others they scored. They deserved to be in the final.

https://www.infogol.net/en/team/rangers/393

And in 20/21 they went out to Slavia Praha in the ro16?!

55titles

Supports
Rangers
It wasn’t a fluke run. We made the last 16 in the two seasons prior to this season, this season was a progression. Red Star and Braga are teams we expect to beat. Dortmund and Leipzig were great performances and nobody who actually watched the games can say they were flukes. Poor performance last night without the Ibrox factor, but incredibly unlucky to miss that late chance and lose on penalties.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

https://www.infogol.net/en/team/rangers/393

And in 20/21 they went out to Slavia Praha in the ro16?!
I would take it being a total fluke and using xG to back that up if the xG of the opponent was heavily outweighing Rangers’ but it only really does in the games which they were beaten in. In the games which Rangers won the xG is relatively close or in Rangers’ favour.

Slavia Prague were a decent team in the EL 20/21 which was evident to people that watched them. They got crushed by Arsenal in the 2nd leg but held them to a draw in the first QF leg, beat Leicester in the earlier knockout round and beat Leverkusen in the group stage.

ShinjiNinja26

I would take it being a total fluke and using xG to back that up if the xG of the opponent was heavily outweighing Rangers’ but it only really does in the games which they were beaten in. In the games which Rangers won the xG is relatively close or in Rangers’ favour.

Slavia Prague were a decent team in the EL 20/21 which was evident to people that watched them. They got crushed by Arsenal in the 2nd leg but held them to a draw in the first QF leg, beat Leicester in the earlier knockout round and beat Leverkusen in the group stage.
It seems more like sour grapes that they knocked his Dortmund side out tbh.

Classical Mechanic

That xG of 6.02 vs Braga is bonkers. It went into extra time and Braga had a man sent off in the 46th minute and in extra time but I still think it's the highest I've seen.

FriedClams

I think the kent miss didn’t matter, VAR would have pulled it back as the ball had gone out of play before Roofes cross

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
I wouldn't say it was a fluke but they did get a lot of breaks on the way which made it possible. Which, before the Rangers fans get their panties in a twist, is totally fine. You need that if you're going to reach a European final.

Dortmund's stadium being heavily restricted and Haaland being injured. Rangers fans of all people know how important a home crowd is in this tournament so you can't underestimate how important 80 thousand home fans would've been to Dortmund. Haaland being injured doesn't need an explanation.

After that it was inevitable they were getting Red Star Belgrade and Braga. It seems like they always get the favourable draw. Brondby and Sparta Prague in the groups. Even in their last campaign they were getting crap like Antwerp and Slavia. SP were decent but they would've beat them if they had a crowd at Ibrox.

Leipzig was an impressive result but again, the goal that sent them to the final came as a result of the Leipzig keeper bizarrely tripping over his own feet when he went to catch a simple cross and Nkunku literally missing an open goal in the first leg.

I think they'll reach another European final in the next 10 years. Combine that with another favourable draw here or there and I don't see why it isn't possible. They know how to set up in Europe. It's the one thing I respect about them and hate about Celtic. They play defensive football and look to launch balls into the channels and counter when it's on. That's what you need to do at this level. Celtic meanwhile go out and play against teams like Bayer Leverkusen as if it was a standard home game v Ross County and get destroyed 4-0.

I think the kent miss didn’t matter, VAR would have pulled it back as the ball had gone out of play before Roofes cross
I thought it was out too but I have much less faith in VAR doing its job. Lundstram could have very easily been sent off for his foul on Rode at the start and Goldson 100% should have conceded a penalty. Seems to me that in games like these VAR is too scared to get involved because they don't want to 'ruin the spectacle'.

55titles

Supports
Rangers

Throughout the knockouts Rangers were the top goalscorers (so counting the goals from R32 onwards). Scored 6 against Dortmund and a 7th was unfairly ruled out, so it does seem a lot like sour grapes.
Injuries to Morelos and Roofe, both strikers, was a huge blow in the end.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

against:
Dortmund 4.53:5.02 - 6:4
Crvena Zvezda 2.68:4.81 - 4:2
Braga 6.63:0.82 - 3:2
Leipzig 2.42:3.16 - 3:2

They outperformed xG(A) at both ends in 3/4 of their ties and in the one where they didn't their opponent had two players sent off. If that's not lucky then I don't know what is, especially if you're not an elite team. Any other season they'd have a fortunate result once or twice, but then they don't and someone takes them out.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
against:
Dortmund 4.53:5.02 - 6:4
Crvena Zvezda 2.68:4.81 - 4:2
Braga 6.63:0.82 - 3:2
Leipzig 2.42:3.16 - 3:2

They outperformed xG(A) at both ends in 3/4 of their ties and in the one where they didn't their opponent had two players sent off. If that's not lucky then I don't know what is. Any other season they have a fortunate result once or twice, but then they don't and someone takes them out.
why are you adding xG together for the two legs? That makes no sense to do and comes across as incredibly bitter. There are loads of variables that make xG different from game to game so to add them together makes the stat even more useless if you just want to use that stat and don’t actually use the the context of the games and the stat together.

Im fine with teams getting luck to get to a final, when you’re someone like Rangers who is completely out resourced in the competition then you’re going to need it. I just disagree with your opinion that it was a “total fluke”.

Even @Pink Moon who usually never posts anything positive about Rangers concedes that it wasn’t a fluke.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
why are you adding xG together for the two legs? That makes no sense to do and comes across as incredibly bitter. There are loads of variables that make xG different from game to game so to add them together makes the stat even more useless if you just want to use that stat and don’t actually use the the context of the games and the stat together.

Im fine with teams getting luck to get to a final, when you’re someone like Rangers who is completely out resourced in the competition then you’re going to need it. I just disagree with your opinion that it was a “total fluke”.
Okay, good talk. :lol:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Don’t think the whole ball went over the line.
They could get out of the group. Pot one can be a big boost in that regard. It's unlikely they'll progress far in the knockouts, unless they get a gift of a draw.

When I lived in Scotland I don't think I met a single Rangers fan that didn't think they are Scottish and I certainly didn't met a single one who thought they were English!! It's a bit of an absurd claim really. It was quite the opposite. They were all fiercely Scottish like Scots tend to be. The only distinction was that they're Unionists and saw themselves as British as well. Alex Ferguson is an example of this. He's a Rangers man and Unionist but also a deeply patriotic Scot.

I mean you can always find some of the more eccentric fans and they end up on videos for people to laugh at but it's far removed from my experience.
Yes that’s a fair assessment.