Europa League QFs | Lyon, Celta, Ajax & United through to semis

Hojoon

Jallet on for Rafael, who still over looks like a disaster defensively.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
:lol: Lyon's second goal. Fabri's mistake was like one of those irritating goalkeeper bugs on FIFA.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I'm suddenly looking at the other sides in this competition and feel it's going to be real struggle for us to win it

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Lyon get a win after all with two late goals. 2-1 is not much to take to Istanbul though.

Ajax IMO are as good as through but all other ties are still wide open.

Red Pavan

shittest username ever manutddabest791
Besiktas deserve to lose for playing like donkeys after taking the lead.

Tolisso is a very impressive young midfielder. An absolute all rounder and having a storming season in Ligue 1.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Hope schalke found a good priest to try and save the souls of their FBs, after younes and justin ripped them out and devoured them before the whole world

Wayne ahead of you

All of them look shit apart from Lyon imo
Ajax has a team consisting of a bunch of 20 year olds and looked so much more livelier than United yesterday. It could have easily been 4-0. It's like they have a Leicester kind of thing going on where the team as a whole is way more than the sum of its parts.

SammyUnited_83

The bookmakers odds are insulting. There is no way we should he as clear favourites as we are.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
The bookmakers odds are insulting. There is no way we should he as clear favourites as we are.
Yeah. Lyon and Ajax have both looked better than us in the competition. We've basically crawled our way into quarterfinals and now look set to crawl our way into semifinal with crap performances too.

Lordyfw

Supports
AFC Ajax
Ajax has a team consisting of a bunch of 20 year olds and looked so much more livelier than United yesterday. It could have easily been 4-0. It's like they have a Leicester kind of thing going on where the team as a whole is way more than the sum of its parts.
Funny that you say that. Just saw a chart with the 10 youngest starting line-ups this season in Europe. Ajax were 8 of them (Genk the other two). Yet in the Netherlands (or at least among Ajax fans I know of) the current team is thought of as quite experienced.

Last edited:

legolegs

duploarms
Supports
Ajax
I think the parts are actually really good. It's just that many of them are obviously extremely young but there's a lot of talent in this team. Good mix of experienced players and youth as well imo.

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
The difference is that this whole 'more than the sum of it's parts' idea is in de structure and the DNA of the club since the late 60's. Schalke has about 5 times the budget for wages and transfers and they were lucky to get away without a slaughter, but Ajax punched much more above it's weight in '91-'98 and 2003. It takes a special kind of manager to make that structure and DNA count and this one is only in his first year. Good signs were already there in the autumn but the last few weeks all the parts start to fall into place. Of course there's still the difference with top clubs that they have better players, but if the team plays together better, more organized, it's going to be difficult for any team to beat them.

ManUchosenbosslvg

Supports
Manchester reds
Just got around to watching Ajax v Schalke, wow:eek:.

What a performance from an Ajax team with an average age of 22. I dream of a day we'll see that style of football played at Old Trafford.

That's what football should be about for me, great to see the work done by Overmars, Bergkamp, Van Der Saar and
Peter Bosz paying off.

Zes

Don't forget the architect of it all. Many people were cynical because there was no instant success, but as always he was right in the end; Johan Cruijff.

Also to the guy who said all the teams in EL are shite: What an arrogant and ignorant comment. At least this Ajax side is fecking brillant, what talent. If only for once the vultures could stay away for a little while instead of ruining all these great talents, we could see something special in Amsterdam once again.
Since Ajax are fairly rich now I really hope we choose on field success over selling everybody. Some experience in the team is just crucial to really kick on.
Hope Davy Klaassen wants to stay and really achieve something big in Amsterdam. Love him.

Just got around to watching Ajax v Schalke, wow:eek:.

What a performance from an Ajax team with an average age of 22. I dream of a day we'll see that style of football played at Old Trafford.

That's what football should be about for me, great to see the work done by Overmars, Bergkamp, Van Der Saar and
Peter Bosz paying off.
I'm sorry if I overreact, but reading that quote from the other guy is really insulting lol.
From a United fan who's team spent a billion dollars to create a team that actually looks worse, not to mention 10 times as boring, as what Ajax create just from their academy, is maddening.
State of football this century..

ManUchosenbosslvg

Supports
Manchester reds
Jallet on for Rafael, who still over looks like a disaster defensively.
Just saw that idiotic tackle that got him suspended for the 2nd leg, you'd be disappointed if a youth player did that, he's never matured and has nothing between his ears.

Crossie

Supports
vibrant attacking football
I think the parts are actually really good. It's just that many of them are obviously extremely young but there's a lot of talent in this team. Good mix of experienced players and youth as well imo.
I didn't watch the game but know first hand that Schalke fans feel utterly embarrassed, are very angry about their team's 'shambolic' (I'm quoting a friend) performance (keeper aside) and watched your guys' impressive attacking play with envy. Obviously, I'll keep my fingers crossed for Ajax on Thursday. :cool:

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
Don't forget the architect of it all. Many people were cynical because there was no instant success, but as always he was right in the end; Johan Cruijff.
Not at all. He was wrong all along and the success of the new policy proves it, and the mess in the organization of the club is almost cleaned up too.

Zes

Not at all. He was wrong all along and the success of the new policy proves it, and the mess in the organization of the club is almost cleaned up too.[/QUOTE

He was wrong? What new policy? The whole youth system is designed by Cruijff. You wanna compare Ajax now and the youth players that are breaking through to what was happening 5 years ago?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

Ajax 2-0 Schalke

Anderlecht 1-1 United

Celta 3-2 Genk

Lyon 2-1 Besiktas

So who you think will go through on Thursday night, and who do we want in the semis if we go through ourselves?

I think Ajax will go through, their form has been great over the past few weeks plus their 2 goal lead. I fancy Genk to cause an upset and sneak past Celta Vigo. I also fully expect to see Lyon score a couple in Turkey so I see them going through. We've won every home game in Europa League this season, I'm not expecting that to change. I'm expecting a 3-0 win.

So that would leave Ajax, Genk and Lyon in the semis. I can see Lyon resting all their players before the final since it's mathematically over for them to get third in Ligue 1. I'd definitely fancy us over the 2 legs. One off 1 game, they're good enough to beat us. With Ajax and Genk/Celta no disrespect, we're not getting beat by any of those in the final.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks

Ajax 2-0 Schalke

Anderlecht 1-1 United

Celta 3-2 Genk

Lyon 2-1 Besiktas

So who you think will go through on Thursday night, and who do we want in the semis if we go through ourselves?

I think Ajax will go through, their form has been great over the past few weeks plus their 2 goal lead. I fancy Genk to cause an upset and sneak past Celta Vigo. I also fully expect to see Lyon score a couple in Turkey so I see them going through. We've won every home game in Europa League this season, I'm not expecting that to change. I'm expecting a 3-0 win.

So that would leave Ajax, Genk and Lyon in the semis. I can see Lyon resting all their players before the final since it's mathematically over for them to get third in Ligue 1. I'd definitely fancy us over the 2 legs. One off 1 game, they're good enough to beat us. With Ajax and Genk/Celta no disrespect, we're not getting beat by any of those in the final.
I hope Genk beat Celta and we get them in the semi final. I doubt they will though. United, Lyon, Celta and Ajax for me. We should be fine against any of them.

A United-Ajax final would be nice.

Lyon have a good attack but their defence seems really poor from the matches I've seen so far.

I am still going with what I predicted in the 1st leg - Man Utd, Ajax, Celta Vigo and Lyon.

I think over two legs we should be able to beat any of these but it is starting to look a little tasty.

All the teams left in the semis would be difficult in a one off leg in the final; then again we would be difficult for any of those teams in a one off leg final game as well.

So yeah - meeting Ajax in the final would be good.

Sjaakmeoff

I hope Genk beat Celta and we get them in the semi final. I doubt they will though. United, Lyon, Celta and Ajax for me. We should be fine against any of them.

A United-Ajax final would be nice.

Lyon have a good attack but their defence seems really poor from the matches I've seen so far.

Same. Allthough i don't think Lyon is going to be a easy semi. A one game final against Ajax is very tricky too.

Players in danger of suspension in 2nd legs

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Booking away from suspension:

United:

Herrera
Bailly
Mkhitaryan

Anderlecht:

Acheampong
Dendoncker
Hanni
Nuytinck
Sowah
Spajic
Teodorczyk
Thelin
Tielemans

Celta:

Iago Aspas
Bongonda
Guidetti
Radoja

Genk:

Susic
Trossard

Ajax:

Klaassen
Onana
Sanchez
Viergever
Tete

Schalke:

Baba
Geis
Goretzka
Nastasic
Stambouli

Lyon:

Cornet
Darder
Jallet
Lacazette
Tousart

Besiktas:

Aboubakar - already banned from QF 2nd leg and Semi 1st leg
Arslan
Erkin
Özyakup

djembatheking

Now that Lyon and Besiktas are banned from Europe after this season does that mean that if they win it then the runners up will get the Champions league place . If so then it would be good to avoid the winner of that tie in the semis if we can do the business tonight .

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Now that Lyon and Besiktas are banned from Europe after this season does that mean that if they win it then the runners up will get the Champions league place . If so then it would be good to avoid the winner of that tie in the semis if we can do the business tonight .
They're not yet. It's a suspended ban, so if there's similar infractions in the next 2 years, the ban will be applied.

Raw

Isn't it a suspended ban? Meaning that if they cause more crowd trouble the ban will be in effect?