Europa League QFs | Lyon, Celta, Ajax & United through to semis

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Besiktas 2[6](3)-1[7](3) Lyon (Talisca - Lacazette
Genk 1(3)-1(4) Celta (Trossard - Sisto)
Schalke 3(3)-2(4) Ajax (Goretzka, Burgstaller, Caligiuri - Viergever, Younes)
United 2(3)-1(2) Anderlecht (Mkhitaryan, Rashford - Hanni)

2nd legs:

UK TV:

Last edited:
Man Utd, Ajax, Celta Vigo and Lyon

For what it is worth I see the quarter finals going something like this:

We are the favourite and over the two legs I believe we will be too strong for Anderlecht. Our best chance for Champion’s league football next season and I expect Jose will put out the strongest side possible despite the Chelsea game coming up (bar De Gea).

Ajax v Schalke is the toughest game to call for sure. Initially I had Schalke to go through however having read the form guide I now predict Ajax getting into the semis. Ajax is on a six game unbeaten run, won their five Europa home legs and only a point off 1st place in the Eredivisie. Schalke is 10th in the Bundesliga having W3 L2 andD5 in their last 10games. Key for an Ajax win is midfielder Ziyech who is the playmaker and makes things happen. Also Ziyech has12 goals and 16 assists so far this season.

I can only see Celta going through against Genk. I think Celta will win the 1st leg and manage at least a draw in the 2nd leg.

That leaves Lyon v. Besiktas and having beaten Roma in the last round I think Lyon will win their home game by at least two goals. Despite Besiktas being a tough place to play a quarter final, I just can’t see anything other than Lyon going into the semis, particularly with Lacazette leading the attack.

Man Utd, Ajax, Celta Vigo and Lyon

For what it is worth I see the quarter finals going something like this:

We are the favourite and over the two legs I believe we will be too strong for Anderlecht. Our best chance for Champion’s league football next season and I expect Jose will put out the strongest side possible despite the Chelsea coming up (bar De Gea).

Ajax v Schalke is the toughest game to call for sure. Initially I had Schalke to go through however having read the form guide I now predict Ajax getting into the semis. Ajax is on a six game unbeaten run, won their five Europa home legs and only a point off 1st place in the Eredivisie. Schalke is 10th in the Bundesliga having W3 L2 andD5 in their last 10games. Key for an Ajax win is midfielder Ziyech who is the playmaker and makes things happen. Also Ziyech has12 goals and 16 assists so far this season.

I can only see Celta going through against Genk. I think Celta will win the 1st leg and manage at least a draw in the 2nd leg.

That leaves Lyon v. Besiktas and having beaten Roma in the last round I think Lyon will win their home game by at least two goals. Despite Besiktas being a tough place to play a quarter final, I just can’t see anything other than Lyon going into the semis, particularly with Lacazette leading the attack.

Sorry everyone,
Posted message twice :(
the message didn't seem to go through so I posted again!!!
Anyway here's to a united win tonight ;)

Lineups - 1st legs

top1whoisman

Scout
Ajax: Onana, Veltman, Sánchez, Sinkgraven, Traore, Klaassen, Younes, Ziyech, Viergever, van de Beek, Kluivert

Schalke: Fährmann; Caligiuri, Höwedes, Kolasinac, Meyer, Goretzka, Bentaleb, Burgstaller, Kehrer, Schöpf, Nastasic

Last edited:

top1whoisman

Scout
Celta: Sergio, Hugo Mallo, Cabral, Fontàs, Jonny, Radoja, Wass, Pablo Hernandez, Iago Aspas, Sisto, Guidetti

Last edited:

top1whoisman

Scout
Lyon: Lopes; Rafael, Mammana, Diakhaby, Morel; Tousart, Tolisso; Ghezzal, Fekir, Valbuena, Lacazette

Besiktas: Fabricio, Gökhan, Marcelo, Mitrovic, Tosic, Atiba, Oguzhan, Babel, Talisca, Adriano, Cenk

Last edited:

R'hllor

Like they didnt know how Turkish fans can act and still they arranged that seating?! Planned,organized

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
It´s amazing how little self-control this human scum has. First Leicester now this.

TheCorkman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Amsterdam Arena is bouncing. Great to see Ajax playing so well. I have no idea why Dolberg is on the bench though. Excellent performance from a bunch of young boys so far on a big occasion.

Wayne ahead of you

Amsterdam Arena is bouncing. Great to see Ajax playing so well. I have no idea why Dolberg is on the bench though. Excellent performance from a bunch of young boys so far on a big occasion.
He's coming back from an injury. Hopefully he can get some minutes in the 2nd half.

Man-United

Said it before, but Celta are by far the biggest threat to us winning EL.