g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Europa League QFs | Lyon, Celta, Ajax & United through to semis

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
To be honest, I'll be happy enough with any of them. Just glad Besitkas are out. If I had to choose it would probably be Ajax as they are still fighting hard for the championship. Celta Vigo are the most dangerous as it's their best chance of getting any European football next season, they're in no mans land in the league so will be tuning their preparations to the EL games.

Bloedrood

Ajax and Celta are similar level. Ajax narrowly beat Celta in the group stage with a 3-2 at home and 2-2 away.

Ajax are still in the title race but they play PSV this weekend. And after 120 minutes against Schalke that will be tough. If they loose the title race is basically over.

Last edited:

imperi

Well Lyon is the strongest of the remaining three, then Ajax followed by Celta.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I'm not confident against any of them, Celta feels like it would be the best draw given they're 10th in La Liga

AgentP

Celta beat Madrid over two legs in the Copa Del Rey. None of the ties will be easy. I'd rather we play Lyon now since we'll have a better chance to beat them over 2 legs. A one-off against Lyon is anyone's game. The only issue is we play Arsenal and Spurs away after each of these games.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Again we should beat anyone left. Whether we do or not is a different story.

Bloedrood

First leg of semi finals is May 4th. Interesting thing is that Ajax can't play in Amsterdam that day due to Remembrance of the Dead that day in Amsterdam, as confirmed by the mayor. Would need to be played on a different day if the first leg is at home for them.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Be careful what you wish for with this young and talented Ajax team. They had some early stumbles at the very beginning of the season but have been extremely good since they hit stride. They've dropped four points in the league in 2017 and have won every home match they've played in all competitions.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Lyon are a real threat. All of a sudden the French league looks a strong one.

SirAF

Ageist
How difficult would it be to get a ticket for the final after the SF?

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
First leg of semi finals is May 4th. Interesting thing is that Ajax can't play in Amsterdam that day due to Remembrance of the Dead that day in Amsterdam, as confirmed by the mayor. Would need to be played on a different day if the first leg is at home for them.
Would likely be one of those horrible really early kickoffs on the Tues or Weds to get it long out of the way before the CL, i.e. 5pm UK time.

el3mel

Ajax seems the easiest choice and let Lyon and Celta take care of themselves.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Was hoping we'd get Celta Vigo but with the astronomical difference in our performance against Chelsea and tonight against Anderlecht I wonder if we need to draw Lyon to get into the games with the appropriate mentality.

ti vu

I'm not confident against any of them, Celta feels like it would be the best draw given they're 10th in La Liga
:nono: One of the trickiest game raiser around the block. Said before & repeat now on their day Celta can give Real Madrid & Barcelona in good form a run for the money.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Such a reality check today looking at the 3 teams left and not having the instant thought of "The Competition is ours".

Honestly fearing any of those three sides is an indictment of where we're at.

In days gone by the thought would have been "Let's get team A because the final against Team B will be amazing"

Celestiale

Those teams are better than Anderlecht, so I'm not that sure you're right. But I hope so... :)
On a normal day with normal chance conversion we have another 2007 AS Roma today.
I sincerly hope something like this doesn't happen again so fast (wasting so many chances). That's pretty much the only thing that can stop us from winning the title now..

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
On a normal day with normal chance conversion we have another 2007 AS Roma today.
I sincerly hope something like this doesn't happen again so fast (wasting so many chances). That's pretty much the only thing that can stop us from winning the title now..
It is mid April it has been happening all season. It is just what we are this season.

Celestiale

It is mid April it has been happening all season. It is just what we are this season.
But not as bad as today. Today was the worst i have ever seen in that respect. Still awake at 4 in the morning, barely been so agitated (in a negative way) from a football game.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Lyon would be the toughest choice.

They've good attacking players in Lacazette, Fekir, Valbuena, Tolisso, Ghezzal and Cornet. With ou current level of defending I don't see us winning the game over two legs against them.

They're a team with spirit, meaning that they can do the best (winning against Roma or Monaco), like the worst (loosing 1-4 against Lorient).

I'm living at Lyon and I also know that if we come massively at Lyon, we'll face troubles (as fans) with theirs that are a bit violent.

So for these reasons I don't want us to draw them.

I just want to play Ajax pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee