Europa League SFs | Ajax vs Lyon

Baxter

I don't get how people are watching Ajax absolutely destroying Lyon.. (seriously Ajax should've had 7) and based on this saying United should have no problem against Ajax in the final? What? How?

Sure United may win, if they get there.. but how this match gives anybody confidence of beating Ajax truly baffles me.
They were a bit defensively naive at times too. They could've scored 7 or 8, but they could've easily conceded a couple more too.

Castia

What a great game.

Both teams can't defend for shit so we have that going for us if we make it past Celta Vigo.

legolegs

duploarms
Supports
Ajax
Tete is infinitely better than Veltman, it is so weird that he is a starter.
Veltman isn't as bad as people make him out to be. He has his flaws but the same is true for Tete. Anyway I don't think it's so much about Veltman or Tete being better.. Sinkgraven isn't better than Riedewald either but it's more about these 4 starting games together for the whole season. Also Viergever is very important. He's been rock solid this season even though he has less potential than de Ligt and Sanchez.

Devil81

The goalkeeper, Dolberg and the tall blonde centre back look fantastic players.

What a game as well, it had a bit of everything. If only Younes could finish!!!

buckooo1978

very impressive from Ajax

the best Ajax side in a long time.....how come they haven't won the league Ajax fans?

bit of naivity?

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Veltman isn't as bad as people make him out to be. He has his flaws but the same is true for Tete. Anyway I don't think it's so much about Veltman or Tete being better.. Sinkgraven isn't better than Riedewald either but it's more about these 4 starting games together for the whole season. Also Viergever is very important. He's been rock solid this season even though he has less potential than de Ligt and Sanchez.
Veltman isnt bad but Tete just better, less mistakes, better defensively, faster, stronger only worse crossing and passing but just as good overlap. We need that stability in this stage.

Devil81

If we aren't to win the Europa league I hope it's Ajax, such a great club ruined by the big money leagues

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
very impressive from Ajax

the best Ajax side in a long time.....how come they haven't won the league Ajax fans?

bit of naivity?
No, this kind of team play comes at a price and it's usually paid in the first part of the season. LvG had league troubles at Ajax too when he won the UEFA-cup.

AndyMUFC

Cracking game to watch. By all accounts Ajax are a completely different beast when not at the Amsterdam Arena but this is the first time I've watched this side and they were terrific. Blew Lyon away and 4-1 flattered them.

It'd go one of the two ways in the final, they'd either freeze under the pressure or be majorly up for it.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Nervously remembering how Ajax gave us a right run around a few years ago.

Let's deal with Celta first though!

PoTMS

Nervously remembering how Ajax gave us a right run around a few years ago.

Let's deal with Celta first though!
Didn't we beat them away first? But yeah, Ajax had our number at OT. Wasn't it Christian Eriksen at the heart of it all too?

We were beyond woeful at home that season. Sounds eerily familiar.

Classical Mechanic

Haha - I think he takes greater pleasure in destroying dreams than winning trophies
I was in Scotland when Porto beat Celtic in the UEFA Cup final. Porto were managed by a virtually unknown Jose Mourinho. After the game the Celtic fans I watched with were dumbfounded, adamant that they were the better team and angry at the tactics employed by Porto. That was the first time I saw a team get Mourinhoed.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
I was in Scotland when Porto beat Celtic in the UEFA Cup final. Porto were managed by a virtually unknown Jose Mourinho. After the game the Celtic fans I watched with were dumbfounded, adamant that they were the better team and angry at the tactics employed by Porto. That was the first time I saw a team get Mourinhoed.
Remember that game well. Larsson and Sutton should have done better iirc.

red_devil83

I remember watching that. The entire Porto team just dived constantly for 90minutes. It's the worst example of 'foreign' style football I can recall. Absolute disgrace.

Ixion

A United v Ajax final would be a great occasion. That's a proper European final.

ZAGREB RED

One of the best games I have seen in a long while. Semi finals can be cagey and tense but the way Ajax's young team played just blew Lyon away was a joy to watch, although I think they will be disappointed they only won 4-1, the away goal gives Lyon a glimmer of hope but only that.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
A United v Ajax final would be a great occasion. That's a proper European final.
Should be a UEFA marketers dream. They can sell it better than the CL final.

Two fallen European giants slugging it out in UEFA's B competition.
David Vs Goliath
A club trying to reach it's former glory by throwing money vs a team trying do it through it's core values.
The most expensively assembled and highest paid squad in world football vs a team of mostly homegrown players, majority of whom are Under 21 years old.
Defensive and pragmatic football vs swashbuckling football played at pace.

Hope Ajax can hold on and we can pull through. It will be a great final match-up.