Europe Refugee Crisis

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Nonsense, a humble life in Germany is infinitely more comfortable than the same in their home country
Not only that. Is much better living in a developed country in a low qualified job than in a qualified job in a developing country.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Yeah, it would be totally feasible for a country like for example Norway with our social security and benefits to have open borders. Probably wouldn't get exploited at all.

Real xenophobic of us to want to have some control.
Still xenophobia. like it or not you don't want to lose your way of life, and I understand it and I am part of this problem too.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Still xenophobia. like it or not you don't want to lose your way of life, and I understand it and I am part of this problem too.
No, it is not xenophobia, it is rationale.

Everyone would love to live in a country with the best social security and best welfare system, no matter their qualifications or actual abillity to contribute to said society.

It just wouldn't work, the system wouldn't be able to sustain it.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Hard to argue with someone who can't distinguish between economic needs vs xenophobia.
Not economic needs, economic privileges. If you are better educated, more prepared, etc. You should be able to beat your opposition no matter which country you are from

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
No, it is not xenophobia, it is rationale.

Everyone would love to live in a country with the best social security and best welfare system, no matter their qualifications or actual abillity to contribute to said society.

It just wouldn't work, the system wouldn't be able to sustain it.
Yes, we obviously rationalize not taking care of refugees that we caused destroying their country

Rationalizing, normalizing doesn't make it right is just peace of mind creating euphemisms to not feeling guilty of what we do, or allow to do and we take advantage of it as our governments waging war, as individuals consuming irresponsible products from sweatshops, etc...We rationalize everything to feel better.

And yes, open borders would be chaos, death and misery but it would adjust eventually but I guarantee that this misery, death and chaos would not be even comparable with the death misery and chaos that the least developed countries suffer thanks to the western international policies since the colonization.

For us would be the worst it could happen, for "them" would be we still better. And believe me, I fully understand wanting to preserve your privileges. I want to preserve mine too. I am selfish but not at the point to not accept war refugees. Is a situation way more desperate than regular immigration. Specially refugees that we created

United_We_Stand

So there is still an "active" refugee crisis in Europe in 2018?
It's not about refugees anymore, it's about promoting hatred and xenophobia.

Javi

But I don't think these things would matter near as much if there was a consensus about (a) how to handle immigration and (b) what does it mean to be European/Western? There is none though, on either of these topics. Some people want migrants to 'integrate' and adopt, say, Western/British/American/French 'values', believing that leaving the doorway open to such integration is the hallmark Western tolerance. But right now there's no consensus over what these 'values' are, and in any case, there are question marks over how tolerant such a position really is - surely in some ways it's a lot more tolerant and liberal to allow migrants to retain as much of their own identity and 'values' as they see fit, and even to organize themselves socially around these.
There is no consensus about either of a.) or b.), agreed. Regarding b.) though I'm not sure how problematic that really is, since even though we don't (and probably can't) have a delimited set of values with a national consensus behind it I would dare to assert that there are values that have a stronger base than others. Things like democracy, rule of law and to a lesser degree also science are from what I'm gathering nearly universally accepted in Western Europe at least. On the other hand there are issues like what people wear that some people care about and some don't with no consensus. What if you were to focus on the first group of concepts?

The principles I'm advocating for are universal which for me means that they have sufficient inherent merit to compensate for the lack of tolerance towards conflicting principles/values. While tolerance is important it cannot be the highest principle of order. What do you reckon?

Abizzz

This and social solidarity, when it comes to Europe. Equality, too, in a general sense but especially in terms of man/woman relation. And almost all of these organically grown values heavily conflicts with the background of the cultures from most refugees that seek shelter in Europe. Hence why it's a very tough task to integrate these people into society and the people that have to find solutions for this task are mostly doing a poor job since decades. Which is why this migration wave - with possible benefits to all involved - will result in not much positive.
Speaking of Germany here, but just look at the turkish migration wave in the 60s+. In the year 1960, 1500 turks lived in Germany. At the time around, it's about 1.500.000 and not taking citizenship into account but migration background, it's currently around 3.000.000. So quite a large number. These people were at first expected to go back to their country, they were "brought in" because of economic needs in Germany. But of course, they stayed. Yet, almost 60 years later, most of these people and the following generations are very poorly integrated. Many don't speak our language properly, many work in the low income sectors and generally speakig they live in parallel societies within Germany, which are not accessable by germans. The guy in the first floor from the house I live in is a turkish bar owner. He's around 35 years old and became a father 5 years ago. When I asked him how everything was going with his newborn child and whether he wants to educate him bilingual, he said, no, he wanted to learn the language of his motherland. I thought that this was pretty responsible, as the language of the country you're born in is obviously the most important one for your whole life. But then he said it wouldn't be german, but turkish. He should learn german when he comes into school or kindergarden. What the feck is that kind of understanding? And this way of thinking is pretty common for turks in Germany. 60 years after his own father has migrated to Germany and didn't integrate properly, this guy gets the foundation done for his child that won't integrate properly either. That's also the governments fault. If you let people come into your country, fecking take care of them and be responsible: educate these people in social/cultural standards and language. And do it properly. And sanction those who don't follow your demand.
That isn't my experience at all. I don't know where you're from, but where I live (Karlsruhe), we have loads of well integrated Turks. Even in my neighborhood where there's a high concentration of people with 'migrationshintergrund' (40%) I have never met a person my age of Turkish heritage that did not speak German completely fluently. I had the same experience when I lived in the Jungbusch neighborhood of Mannheim, which to my knowledge has the highest % of people with a Turkish migration background. I know the situation is similar in cities like Stuttgart.

There might be areas of Gelsenkirchen or Berlin where what you describe is common, but I challenge the notion that what you describe accounts for the vast majority of people of Turkish heritage.

There's even a joke about it here "In Stuttgart beschweren sich die Türken dass sich die Russen nicht an kehrwoch halten!". (In Stuttgart the Turks complain that the Russians don't sweep the street according to plan)

United_We_Stand

Most of the problems exist due to the migration wave from 2016, the several issues and problems just shifted. It's not so much about who we let in, but how do we handle the problems that come with so many that already came in? But still, people are trying to enter Europe and get to Germany/UK/whatever, to search for a better life. Also, some refugees very involved in very popular crime cases, such as murders and recently a tunesian couple, who came to Germany 2016, tried to produce big loads of rizin and were fortunately caught by the police, who got the tipp from the CIA. Which is crazy considering our country should know what's happening at least within its own borders.
That was the right-wing propaganda in 2015/16, they wanted people to think that in a couple of years Europe will be burning and economy will be in recession because of refugees/migrants. Almost 3 years went by since the biggest wave of refugees in fall 2015, and German GDP is growing at 2% (among the strongest in developed countries), and not a single terrorist attack was carried out by Syrian refugees/migrants. If anything, it's those who oppose refugees who are running over innocent people in Muenster.

Abizzz

I've been living in the Ruhrgebiet (different cities), Frankfurt and currently Cologne. It's very true that the higher the standard of living, the better the turks will be integrated. Thing is, most of the turks/of turkish decent live in NRW. Which is what I'm currently talking about.
In absolute numbers yes NRW is the state with the most people of Turkish descent but as a % of the population NRW is only 5th after Hamburg, Bremen, Baden-Württemberg and Hessen (In that order https://www.destatis.de/DE/Methoden/Zensus_/Tabellen/MHG_1_LaenderGemeinden.html ) (actually that isn't completely accurate, we may have more Italians here than in NRW which could skew the numbers but I can't find any reliable % just for Turks, I might be wrong)

If I'm honest I just feel a lot more connected to the people who grew up around me then to some 'Germans' from Brandenburg, Sachsen or Castrop-Rauxel, who's socio-economic integration (and often enough education) is well behind that of my neighbors. Obviously things could be better, they always can be, but that doesn't mean integration has failed... It just means we accept that where there's humans there's things to improve and work on.

I do accept that there are places where integration hasn't worked as well as here, but they don't represent the majority of the roughly 3 million people we are speaking about.

Abizzz

whatever the relative size is, as you've said, the absolute majority of turks live in NRW, where I've been living most of my time. I know these turks and I stand to what I said. Most of them are still not integrated. And considering most turks live here, as you said, I don't know why the majority shouldn't be representative. In my eyes, it is. But if you prefer me talking about turks/people of turkish origin living in agglomeration areas, it's okay as well. Integration always works better in more remote areas that are economically developed and stable. Such as most regions in Bavaria, Baden-Württemberg and the likes. NRW, Hamburg, Berlin & the likes, where most of said turkish migrants live though, are different. And most migrants unfortunately don't want to populate more remote areas, they choose cities & other agglomeration areas, such as the Ruhrgebiet, for economical reasons. Why should the minority represent the roughly 3 million people we are speaking about from which the majority isn't integrated well? Do you think it's some kind of random occuring error that pro-Erdogan demonstrations were very popular in Cologne? Or the Silvester night? Or the tunesian producing rizin in his appartment? I don't think so, to be honest. NRW has huge socio-economic problems with migrants. You can easily see it in your every day life, if you're actually going through the streets and public transportation.
I personally feel more connected to the people who grew up around me. But personally I think you're kind of using some kind of selective reality if you think that generally speaking people from Brandenburg/Sachsen/Castrop-Rauxel are less qualified but deny that the vast majority of turks that isn't integrated can't be representative, to be honest. It's nice to hear it has worked out in some parts of the country, though, so that's good for you.
In my eyes, the integration strategies, if even actually existent, have failed miserably. They obviously show much more in agglomeration areas and financially problematic areas, such as Berlin and the Ruhrgebiet for example. But still, the government has been neglectful and I'm not happy with the current way of just sitting it out, somehow expecting everything to pass by and everybody be happy. We need to be much more open minded when it comes to criminal statistics and hints that clearly show a disproportional representation of migrants in these statistics, especially when it comes to crimes which include violence.
-No the absolute majority does not live in NRW! In absolute numbers NRW has the most, but that isn't the same as the absolute majority, and is mainly due to NRW being the most populated state.
-None of Karlsruhe, Stuttgart or Mannheim are 'remote' areas, and all of them have plenty of people of Turkish heritage (who decided to move here). I don't know where you picked up this thought that all Turks moved to NRW, but it isn't reflective of the truth.
-There's more sexual assault every Karneval in Cologne than there was that 1 silvester night you're talking about.
-Please quote criminal statistics that show migrants are more criminal if you claim that to be the case.

In short I don't believe you're experience is anymore representative than mine (Or vice versa).

Bury Red

Backs Fergie, Yells Giggs!
I don't know why the majority shouldn't be representative.
Because that way xenophobia lies. You do not judge all blonde haired, blue eyed white men by the standards of Anders Breijvik so you should similarly not pass the same judgement on people with darker skin, another religion or a different language.

I'm not well versed enough in German census or crime figures to debunk your assertions but know from my younger days in punk/redskin/antifa circles that the term "Turk" in German was spat out by the same breed of xenophobes as used the term "paki" in the UK and with the same degree of venom and the intent to create an us vs them mentality in broader society and it horrifies me that 30 years on the same dog-whistle tactics are working again.

If the people drowning on boats in the Mediterranean, burning off their finger prints and walking thousands of miles with their whole lives on their shoulders were white or christian they would be rescued, helped and welcomed by the large majority in Europe but by casting them as the "other" and stoking unfounded fears of crime, violence and terrorism the hate mongers are succeeding in making wider society a vicious xenophobic place for their own vile political ends.

Judge every individual you meet as an individual, don't even take them at face value but look at what lies beneath and you'll find that barring an infinitessimaly small statistical minority most people differ very little from yourself. Hope that should you ever find yourself in need of aid, those you turn to will be similarly open minded.

Abizzz

Sorry, statistics that I've read recently said that 1.000.000 turks were living in NRW, while 1.500.000 turks (citizenship) live in Germany total. I didn't create these personally, so I don't know whether they're completely true or not, but I'm not in the position to be able to look behind the scenes there.
Oh ok, I didn't distinguish between Turkish nationals and people of Turkish heritage. I don't know about the numbers of Turkish nationals but roughly 30% of the Germans with Turkish heritage live in NRW.
Karlsruhe, Stuttgart and Mannheim might be actual towns, but not comparable to metropols or agglomeration areas, to be honest.
Nah the difference between a city of 650k like Stuttgart and one of 1 million (The biggest in NRW) is negligible when talking social phenomena. There is more "city" to a town like Karlsruhe than to Wuppertal even if it has 3/5 the inhabitants. (oh wow, Wuppertal needs some migrants, just checked the numbers and its actually 6/7)
Also, they're in Baden-Württemberg, which is generally speaking a lot richer than NRW's cities (bar Düsseldorf, I guess).
B-W became more affluent in the time the migrants were here. The migrants contributed to that by working for Daimler, Porsche, Siemens, Herrenknecht, SAP etc. just the same as the Germans who live here did. In fact they now pay for Germans in other states via Bundesfinanzausgleich
Whether there's more sexual assault or not every Carneval in Cologne, or not, is not of any importance when discussing said silvester night. It's just some form of tu quoque and even if you actually want to have a closer look at the two of you compared incidents, they don't share many similarities. This does also have nothing to do with the general crime rate. So yes, there are still several wrongs going on in Germany that need to be adressed, so what? There's absolutely no centontual connection.
Yeah that was a bit of whataboutism from my side, fair enough.

Migrational background not taken into account here at all, which could change all the statistics drastically. NRW for example: 17,91 million people with 4,9 million that don't hold german citizenship. 13,01 million that do hold german citizenship.
These numbers are from 2017 from the official criminal statistics of the BKA. These statistics do not even include crimes against the Aufenthalts-, Asyl- or Freizügigkeitsgesetz (I guess it's fair since only non-citizens can commit those, yet it would be interesting to see how many people actually infringe said laws.
From my personal experience as a lawyer, if you'd include migrational background in those numbers, they'd go through the roof.

NRW:

1:2,65 population
1:2,1 crime rate

Germany as a whole: 82,7 million people in total with 10.6 million people that don't hold german citizenship. So 72.1 million germans.

1:6,8 population
1:2,29 crime rate

Berlin has 3.54 million citizens in total with 0,991 million or 991.000 that don't hold german citizenship, so 2,55 million germans.

1:2,57 population
1:1,53 crime rate

Please note: these are the actual crime rates from 2017, which only include sentenced suspects.
I'm not sure I understand the numbers you posted here, or what you are trying to say with them, but I'll try to have a closer look at the document you posted and try to understand them later (have to go off now).

Last edited:

Bury Red

Sorry if I misworded/formatted these numbers poorly, I'll try to explain some of my thought processes here more properly and I won't rule out that I've done some methodical errors or confused some numbers, sorry for that in advance!

Germany as a whole has 82,7 million people with 10.6 million people that don't hold german citizenship. So 72.1 million germans. 1974805 crimes were committed/sentenced in Germany in 2017 in total.

The population of germans in Germany is 6.8:1 compared to non germans (12,82% of the population)

The number of committed crimes of germans in Germany is 1375448 : 599357 compared to non germans (30,35% of the crimes)

Which results in 12,82% of the population being responsible for 30,35% of the crimes committed. In other words: The number of committed crimes by non germans is drastically disproportional to the percentage of non-germans in Germany compared to the german population.
You actually mean the number of successfully prosecuted crimes and therein lies the difference. When policing is focused on the poorer neighbourhoods but education is not, when the police profile people of foreign appearance and when the courts pursue criminal convictions against those people at a higher rate rather than dismissing things with a caution then the crime statistics can become that skewed. That's before you even factor in the damage that criminising and jailing the predominantly young male offenders has on the family they leave behind and the increased likelihood that the fatherless son of an imprisoned migrant may be more likely to follow in his footsteps.

Some stats from the UK: drug use among the black population in 2010 was estimated at 5.8% of the population but among whites was 10.7% yet the stop and search statistics for the same year show 7 in 1000 whites were searched on suspicion of drug possession versus 45 in 1000 for blacks and in spite of the fact that drug use among young blacks is predominantly weed whereas among whites it is spread more evenly between relatively harmless weed and much harder drugs. So if you're 12 times more likely to be discovered and then far more likely for it to go to court and more likely again to lead to a custodial sentence than a comparable white youth then it should be clear that the crime statistics on their own are not a reliable measure.

Bury Red

Yes, these statistics are flawed by several factors, including the one you mentioned and in my opinion even more important, the fact that we don't know the "dark digit" (literally translated Dunkelziffer, the amount of crimes that were committed but not prosecuted because the government simply doesn't know it happened) generally, no matter the status of citizenship. And from my personal work experience, I judges are incredibly careful and I have high trust in our state of law. Violations will most likely be adressed properly, just like currently with the murderer of Susanna in Germany. It's very likely that officers and the government in general have violated many different laws and I think they'll face the proper consequences.
Although there might be several areas on which the police seems to pay special attention to, but there are just as many that the police does willingly not pay attention to because they are not able to access these areas. There are several incidents in which police officers were literally hunted through the streets by some kind of mobs in areas of social crisis. Thing is, we can not judge by the numbers we don't know but have to work with what we have, and what I've stated is what we actually have. That would also include taking migrational background into account, such as the following generation(s) of non-germans.
But even if what you're saying is true, this would be another symptom of failed integration and that the government has to adress said issues much more than they're doing at the moment. Thing is, I'm not acting like this issue has any biological background or something along the lines, but how our state should take more responsibility for his citizens and those that he allows to come in.
Again it's the language of fear and mistrust of the other that is coming through in what you say. You admit the statistics you have quoted are unreliable and that bias does come into play yet even then you talk of the unseen crimes (glossing over the blunt linguistic bias apparent in all European languages that dark is bad and light good) yet surely if we admit that there is 6 times more focus placed on those migrant communities surely there would be 6 times less undetected crime there than in society in general :confused:

You talk of trusting the impartiality of the legal system but when at it's very first step it is evident that there is a far greater mistrust of "the other" then surely that same bias must be likely to run through the courts, jurors and judges too and the proof of this is in the prison system where the proportion of ethnic minorities incarcerated far outweighs their numbers in society at large and where the sentencing for comparable crimes is equally slanted against them.

Yes the government is letting everyone down, most governments routinely do. The language of this debate is however xenophobic and suggests that migrants are the cause rather than victims not just of their circumstances that led to migration but even the crimes committed within the societies that eventually come to host them in spite of the fact that those same migrants are far more likely to be victims of crime than the native population.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
We always make the same mistake of relating crimes with nationalities (or non-national). Another example of xenophobia to blame the foreigner for the problem of a society. The right thing to do should be relating crimes with the socioeconomic level of the people. It happens to be that immigrants are usually the poorest.

And if we would like to be more accurate, the data should reflect the inequality of the city/region. The more inequality, the more crime.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Which would also be a sign of bad integration, if migrants generally have a bad socioeconomic status, no?
I personally don't know why looking at objective statistics would be blaming any problems solely on migrants, to be honest. I don't see any necessary connection. You can without any problem say that migrants are badly integrated and that the state is at fault.

In this specific case, it's both the fault of migrants and the government. In such a complex situation, it's very unlikely to find one participating part to be at fault alone.
There are people with several generations in the same city that they are poor you know. And they are 100% integrated.

Myself I had more than once nearly 0 money in my bank in my country and It didn't make me automatically not integrated. Integration is a completely different thing.

When one of the superich from Saudi Arabia goes on vacation in another country with their servants, wifes, etc..., I guarantee that he is way less integrated than a poor turk in Germany

You are right in that integration is a responsibility of both immigrants and government. A good start would be stopping doing (or mainly doing) statistics relating immigration and crime as the main problem and doing it socioeconomically.

Also, we as individuals are to blame. Do you have a decent amount of immigrant friends? Do you have prejudices? And when I say you I mean me too

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Let's agree to disagree in pointing fingers on crime. For me should be focused in socioeconomic individuals/groups, for you in immigrants because they are more likely.

Basically tackling socioeconomic groups you try to find a solution, tackling immigration is discrimination and you don't help everyone

Abizzz

https://www.bka.de/DE/AktuelleInfor...aftatenInsgesamtOhneAuslaenderrecht_node.html sorry for not posting said statistics in my actual post, here they are. I took official numbers from 2017 to calculate the population.
So I had a look through this for NRW and Baden-Württemberg. I don't see these numbers proving anything, they are only concerned with suspects and do not at all show what you claim them to show (that migrants are statistically more criminal). Here is why:
-Foreigners =/= Migrants. We have loads of foreigners just driving through. If someone is caught smuggling weed from the Netherlands to Denmark (just an example of course, could be €'s from Belgium to Switzerland or any of the 1000s other crimes that are recorded daily) he will make your statistical migrant more criminal.
-It's only dealing with "Tatverdächtige" is hugely flawed as an indicator because the German police automatically assume it was foreigners for entire categories of crimes. If your house is burgled and they don't have a clue who it was they assume it was eastern europeans. If you're conned on the internet but their technical expertise isn't enough to get to the perpetrators they will record the crime you report but automatically assume that the perpetrator is abroad.
- Crimes perpetrated by foreigners from abroad where the victim is in Germany (internet criminality) aren't singled out, and it seems crimes where the perpetrator is in Germany but the victim is abroad aren't counted at all? (From looking at the explanation of 'Opfer und Tatverdächtige'
- Every suspect is only counted once (if they are identified) independent of the number of crimes they commit.

The records for convictions would still be skewed by the racism that is rampant within our police forces but would be much more meaningful.

The huge difference between a city like Stuttgart when comparing it to NRW's cities is the fact that the Ruhrgebiet could basically be seen as a city itself. It's by far the biggest agglomeration area in Germany and the socio-economic consequences are very different. Agglomeration Ruhrgebiet, part of the metropol region Rhein-Ruhr consists of 5,6 million people or the cities of Bochum, Dortmund, Duisburg, Essen with sub-centres Bottrop, Gelsenkirchen & the likes. In the very same metropol region, we have 4,8 million people living in the agglomeration of Köln-Düsseldorf, consisting mainly of Köln, Düsseldorf, Bonn, Wuppertal. In other words: We have roughly 10,4 million people connected in the Rhein-Ruhr area, roughly 1497 citizens/km². Compared to the metropol region of Stuttgart with 5,2 million people in total and just 338 citizens/km². It's an entirely different world in terms of socio-economic consequences.
That is how the Ruhrpott is marketing itself yes, but no, it cannot be seen as a city by itself. (Unless you also consider the Netherlands as a city by itself, or the entire east coast of the USA, or everything between Birmingham and London). Yes NRW is more densely populated than B-W, or any of the other larger German states, but the difference isn't times 10, 5 or even 2, it's times 1.4. Meanwhile a proper city like (Greater) London has 4.5 times the density of the Ruhrpott and 9 times that of NRW.

Yes NRW has more inhabitants on less area, but the difference does not amount to an "entirely different world in terms of socio-economic consequences". Having thought about this throughout the day I think the main difference between NRW and B-W is that the jobs the original migrants came to do here no longer exist in NRW (for which I do not blame anyone, it's hardly NRW's fault we don't use coal anymore and largely import things like steel), with all their German peers losing their jobs as well (in the mines, smelters etc.) while the companies that they work for in B-W have largely benefited from economical developments of the past decades. I agree with you that integration is a lot easier if jobs aren't hard to get by.

And it's definitely great to hear that migration worked out in some parts of Germany, it really is, as I'm a person that is pro migration.
I visit Köln regularly, maybe every 3 months on average (a number of good friends have moved there), used to visit Wuppertal frequently (you have some nice woman in NRW ;) ) and think on the whole you are selling NRW short. To me migration as a topic of conversation is much like the traffic. You only ever hear people talking about it when they are complaining about it while if there's no problem no one ever mentions it.

Abizzz

The statistics of inmates match the suspect rate almost completely, 1/3rd of the current inmates are non-germans, showing how well the suspect rate correlates with crimes that led to jail time.
I concede that's shocking.
So I guess no matter how you twist it, non-germans are overrepresented in every kind of criminal statistic. Which can be seen as flawed by racism, as you and others do, but I personally do think it has meaningfulness. Situations like the one you mentioned are btw not part of said statistics, if there is no suspect, there is no suspect. They won't assume any nationality based on a certain type of crime.
So these are only crimes where suspects have been identified? You may well be right, but where do the victims without a identified suspects show up in those statistics then?
I think what the section regarding "Opfer und Tatverdächtige" means that criminals that are highly active, so persons who have committed 10 crimes in 2017 won't be counted 10 times, as it's just one actual person. Which I think is the biggest flaw in these statistics to be honest, there are lots of "high intensity criminals" which should be paid attention to statistically. You'd be absolutely shocked how many crimes one single person can commit in a year.
Agree with this.
It obviously is no city in itself, but comparing the likes of Stuttgart to the Rhein-Ruhr area is pretty, well, risky. The proper city of london, as you have already mentioned, has 1605 habitants per km² in its metropolregion, compared to 1496 habitants per km² in the Rein-Ruhr metropolregion, compared to 338 habitants per km² in the metropolregion of Stuttgart. Again, that's one fifth of how many people live in Rhein-Ruhr per km² and 5,4 million people less in total. In other words: Rhein-Ruhr is more than twice as big as Stuttgart and 5 times more habitants per km² compared to Stuttgart. It's a different world, especially if you take the correctly viewn job situation into account.
No, Greater London has a density of 5,437/km2, Stuttgart 3,000/km2, Cologne 2700/km2,, Wuppertal 2100/km2,, Gelsenkirchen and Bochum 2500/km2 and the Ruhrpott as a whole 1600/km2. Again there's obviously more people on less space altogether, but we'll need to agree to disagree whether that constitutes an entirely different world.
What do you say about 80% of syrian refugees living of the state by the way? Honest question.
It's hardly a surprise given what they've had to endure to get here (and often the process of getting asylum isn't easy either) and the fact that they are just beginning to learn the language. Personally i'm fine with it, I expect it to improve gradually over time.

I much prefer contributing to their safe lives here via taxes than contributing to the state budgets of other states in Germany who get half their state budget from Bayern, Baden-Württemberg and Hessen and still only whine how unfairly they are treated all the time (looking at the "Neue Bundesländer" now). I prefer my money going there (and lets not act as if I was making any big personal sacrifices, it isn't that much in the grand scheme of things) than to so called private-public-partnerships where the taxpayer pays all the investment and companies owned by individuals reap the profits (Looking at BER, Autobahnprivatisierung etc.).

If they stay for the long term (and I expect many of them will) their employment rates will lag behind for a very long time... In a perfect world they wouldn't, but we don't live in a perfect world, so let's work on making it a little better ... ?

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Let's agree to disagree in pointing fingers on crime. For me should be focused in socioeconomic individuals/groups, for you in immigrants because they are more likely.

Basically tackling socioeconomic groups you try to find a solution, tackling immigration is discrimination and you don't help everyone
Is it poverty that leads to immigrants from MENA countries being vastly overrepresented when it comes to sexual crimes as well?

"Tackling immigration is discrimination", ffs listen to yourself.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
These unemployed people mostly live an extremely unhappy life due to the socio-cultural factors in Germany. They don't speak the language properly, their expectations are not reached and they're not as respected as they'd wish to be. They oftenly get frustrated, become criminal due to poverty, commit more crimes than the average german with low income. Even if it is better compared to their home countries, which I doubt for the most of them, this is not an acceptable solution for all affected.
Most of them are not unemployed and most will end up speaking the language. You've got this narrow idea of what the experience is for most migrants which doesn't match the reality

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Is it poverty that leads to immigrants from MENA countries being vastly overrepresented when it comes to sexual crimes as well?

"Tackling immigration is discrimination", ffs listen to yourself.
I might oversimplified this sentence. Tackling and blaming the immigration the way is done is discrimination

You can pick an statistics like sexual crimes. But are you talking of rape? sexual abuse? because I can guarantee that sexual slavery and sexual trafficking have a very white and western face.

There are way more other crimes, though. And I can guarantee that the people that steal more money are not brown, and they don't speak a foreign language and most likely have your own passport and a high % rules you on the spotlight, in the shadows and/or employs you. But of course the easy target are always the same

Think small and you will blame the immigrant. Think big and it will have a very nice and shiny white face that is from your own country

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
And just a view in this article

http://www.spiegel.de/international...to-refugee-sex-offense-reports-a-1186734.html

Lots of scaremongering and the conclusion is clear:

"...He notes that many sex offenders have impaired impulse control, often combined with low self-esteem. In a particularly high number of cases, perpetrators have unstable personalities or have suffered trauma -- and many aren't subject to the natural controls exerted by close social relationships..."

So is not about being from another country makes them be like that, but the circumstances that they lived and is individual

is poverty and inequality that make crime spike, not race, religion or nationality. So those should be tackled, not immigration as you tackle just a part of the problem (because there are nationals that suffer poverty and inequality too) and in a discriminatory way

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
There is no consensus about either of a.) or b.), agreed. Regarding b.) though I'm not sure how problematic that really is, since even though we don't (and probably can't) have a delimited set of values with a national consensus behind it I would dare to assert that there are values that have a stronger base than others. Things like democracy, rule of law and to a lesser degree also science are from what I'm gathering nearly universally accepted in Western Europe at least. On the other hand there are issues like what people wear that some people care about and some don't with no consensus. What if you were to focus on the first group of concepts?

The principles I'm advocating for are universal which for me means that they have sufficient inherent merit to compensate for the lack of tolerance towards conflicting principles/values. While tolerance is important it cannot be the highest principle of order. What do you reckon?
Let's just say at this moment I'm skeptical that any kind of national or international consensus, or group identity for that matter, can be built solely on the basis of purely rational concepts such as democracy, science, etc. or a vague universalism. What this skepticism implies in terms of your questions there is something I certainly need to think about.

On the question of tolerance though, I think a society based on the identity of a national/ethnic/religious/culturally-defined majority can in certain ways and under certain circumstances provide a greater degree of tolerance for similarly-defined minorities than one based on the universal principles we're discussing. But the potential for extreme intolerance is perhaps greater in such societies as well.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
because I can guarantee that sexual slavery and sexual trafficking have a very white and western face.

There are way more other crimes, though. And I can guarantee that the people that steal more money are not brown, and they don't speak a foreign language and most likely have your own passport and a high % rules you on the spotlight, in the shadows and/or employs you. But of course the easy target are always the same
Do you have any stats backing these guarantees?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Even overlooking the placement, what's 1.1 crime levels?
It's normalised to 2013, that is ok if you want to put all three lines on the same graph.
My problem is the cutoffs.

Something I'm working on now:

With more realistic axes:

(It's one of those blue/orange lines in the middle that does nothing)

I'm not even trying to say that it isn't a problem. Just that the choice there makes it look misleadingly worse than it is.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)

+

Migrant crisis: EU leaders plan closed migrant centres

"Closed migrant centres are to be set up in EU states to process asylum claims under a deal reached after marathon talks at a leaders summit in Brussels.

The centres, hosted on a voluntary basis, would determine who are illegal migrants "who will be returned".

Italy - the entry point for thousands of migrants, mainly from Africa - had threatened to veto the summit's entire agenda if it did not receive help."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-44652846

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore

+

Migrant crisis: EU leaders plan closed migrant centres

"Closed migrant centres are to be set up in EU states to process asylum claims under a deal reached after marathon talks at a leaders summit in Brussels.

The centres, hosted on a voluntary basis, would determine who are illegal migrants "who will be returned".

Italy - the entry point for thousands of migrants, mainly from Africa - had threatened to veto the summit's entire agenda if it did not receive help."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-44652846
I wonder how well (or otherwise) thought through this policy is...

Because to my mind there are of course going to be people in there who are genuine refugees - and people who have been trafficked and family / children etc.

Surely there is going to have to be some segregation in these facilities - in otherwords the EU run a very real risk of basically backing themselves into a situation where they will either have to basically ignore their duty of care or slpit up some of these families whilst thigs are assessed - essentially they run the risk of replicating some of the trump inspired debacle in the states...

Its a sad day i think for the EU - personally I was and am Anti Brexit - but sometimes the EU puts forward some ill conceived ideas and I think this is one

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/01/...igrant-ghettos.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur
Because she lives in a low-income immigrant neighborhood described by the government as a “ghetto,” Rokhaia will be what the Danish newspapers call a “ghetto parent” and he will be a “ghetto child.”

Starting at the age of 1, “ghetto children” must be separated from their families for at least 25 hours a week, not including nap time, for mandatory instruction in “Danish values,” including the traditions of Christmas and Easter, and Danish language. Noncompliance could result in a stoppage of welfare payments. Other Danish citizens are free to choose whether to enroll children in preschool up to the age of six.
Some are punitive: One measure under consideration would allow courts to double the punishment for certain crimes if they are committed in one of the 25 neighborhoods classified as ghettos, based on residents’ income, employment status, education levels, number of criminal convictions and “non-Western background.” Another would impose a four-year prison sentence on immigrant parents who force their children to make extended visits to their country of origin — described here as “re-education trips” —in that way damaging their “schooling, language and well-being.” Another would allow local authorities to increase their monitoring and surveillance of “ghetto” families.
It's great seeing how much the west values western values :)