Europe Refugee Crisis

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

(older, from a Turkish channel) :

https://i.imgur.com/8yOTWve.png?1
https://i.imgur.com/1vo5bbc.png?1
So, this is fake defamation of the Coratian police, who are doing great by beating the migrants who beat each other.

No Name Kitchen (NNK), an organisation consisting of volunteers from several countries that distributes food to asylum seekers in Serbia, Bosnia and Italy, registers 50-100 people a week who have been pushed back by the Croatian authorities. Roughly 70% of them claim to have been beaten.

“In the last months our team in Bosnia and Herzegovina has regularly treated patients – sometimes even women and small children – with wounds allegedly inflicted by state authorities when attempting to cross into Croatia and Slovenia, where, according to their testimonies, their claims for asylum and protection are regularly ignored,” says Julian Koeberer, humanitarian affairs officer in the northern Balkans for Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF).

Since the turn of the year, the Bosnian authorities have registered the entry of about 21,000 people, coming from Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iran or Syria. Of these, an estimated 5,000 remain in the country.

Of 50 people to whom the Guardian spoke, mostly from Pakistan, 35 said they had been attacked by Croatian police. The majority of them arrived in Bosnia through Turkey, hoping to reach Slovenia, a Schengen country, before heading to Italy, Austria or Germany.
https://www.theguardian.com/global-...efugees-film-croatian-police-brutality-bosnia

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Saw reports today of a few different groups of Iranians crossing the channel to get into England this past week.
Seems quite strange.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Hundreds of migrants storm the Spanish enclave of Ceuta with selfmade flamethrowers and quicklime.
Wonder if that huge “Refugees Welcome” banner is still hanging from city hall in Madrid.
Feckin eejits; Their welfare system will be bankrupt before they figure out they should seal their borders and return migrants instead of bringing them in.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Wonder if that huge “Refugees Welcome” banner is still hanging from city hall in Madrid.
Feckin eejits; Their welfare system will be bankrupt before they figure out they should seal their borders and return migrants instead of bringing them in.

I love humanity

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Don't know how different Spain is from Portugal but since we're neighbors probably it's similar. Here foreigners from Brazil, Africa and Eastern Europe are the largest foreign populations, around 90% are between 18 and 50 and they contribute a lot more to our social security then they receive from it, last year it was a net positive of around 500 million euros.

Of course these are just facts, random joe on the street still says they're destroying our welfare system.

Charlie Foley

Don't know how different Spain is from Portugal but since we're neighbors probably it's similar. Here foreigners from Brazil, Africa and Eastern Europe are the largest foreign populations, around 90% are between 18 and 50 and they contribute a lot more to our social security then they receive from it, last year it was a net positive of around 500 million euros.

Of course these are just facts, random joe on the street still says they're destroying our welfare system.
That's great to hear! Where's in Portugal are you from?

4bars

Supports
Barcelona

Not to say, that all their education had not been paid by portugal or Spain. Whoever thinks that current immigration in western countries has a negative overall impact is a moron

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

The blatant further is that this is how it is in the vast majority of countries.
Immigrants contribute for more to the government purse than they take.

botond

The blatant further is that this is how it is in the vast majority of countries.
Immigrants contribute for more to the government purse than they take.
you have a source for that ?

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
you have a source for that ?
Although I hate this argument it's true
https://www.economist.com/graphic-d...ain-than-they-take-and-will-carry-on-doing-so

According to the government’s latest review on immigration, by the Migration Advisory Committee (MAC), immigrants contribute more to the public purse on average than native-born Britons do. Moreover, European newcomers are the most lucrative group among them. The MAC reckons that each additional migrant from the European Economic Area (EEA) will make a total contribution to the public purse of approximately £78,000 over his or her lifetime (in 2017 prices). Last year, the average adult migrant from the EEA yielded £2,370 ($3,000) more for the Treasury than the average British-born adult did.

That's comparing apples and oranges.

Europe has never experienced anything close to the levels and types of immigration seen during the refugee crisis. These are not skilled workers, they are not being brought over to rebuild after a major war, they are not moves between neighbouring cultures. It will take years to integrate them all and there will be a cost to that, there already is. In Germany alone it is costing €20 billion per year. How it turns out in the long term is impossible to say.

Abizzz

Europe has never experienced anything close to the levels and types of immigration seen during the refugee crisis. It will take years to integrate them all and there will be a cost to that, there already is. In Germany alone it is costing €20 billion per year. How it turns out in the long term is impossible to say.
Europe saw larger waves of migration within the past 100 years...

Europe saw larger waves of migration within the past 100 years...
See the edit. After WW2 people were brought in to rebuild the continent. They had jobs waiting and there was a plan for them, which is not the case now.

botond

this is true in the case of Britain immigration statistic in witch case they get most of their immigrants from European countries . People with education and language knowledge . Basically free new work force .
This has nothing to do with the european 'refugee' crisis and you cannot put it under same immigration hat in statistics . there is a big difference between inside eu migration and sub saharan migration.

Abizzz

See the edit. After WW2 people were brought in to rebuild the continent. They had jobs waiting and there was a plan for them, which is not the case now.
I don't think the millions fleeing towards the west post ww2 were 'brought in to rebuild". I honestly think it's harder for bombed out countries that are trying to rebuild to absorb refugees than for well established ones living in relative wealth and comfort.

They are coming from further afield these days, no arguing about that.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
this is true in the case of Britain immigration statistic in witch case they get most of their immigrants from European countries . People with education and language knowledge . Basically free new work force .
This has nothing to do with the european 'refugee' crisis and you cannot put it under same immigration hat in statistics . there is a big difference between inside eu migration and sub saharan migration.
Sorry am I missing something ? It wasn't just about EU migration

According to the government’s latest review on immigration, by the Migration Advisory Committee (MAC), immigrants contribute more to the public purse on average than native-born Britons do. Moreover, European newcomers are the most lucrative group among them. The MAC reckons that each additional migrant from the European Economic Area (EEA) will make a total contribution to the public purse of approximately £78,000 over his or her lifetime (in 2017 prices). Last year, the average adult migrant from the EEA yielded £2,370 ($3,000) more for the Treasury than the average British-born adult did.

Last edited:

I don't think the millions fleeing towards the west post ww2 were 'brought in to rebuild". I honestly think it's harder for bombed out countries that are trying to rebuild to absorb refugees than for well established ones living in relative wealth and comfort.

They are coming from further afield these days, no arguing about that.
I presumed the reply was in relation to the people who were brought over from Turkey, The Caribbean and the Commonwealth to help rebuild the continent.

Most of those who moved as a direct result of the war were Europeans, either returning home or moving to a place where they shared common ancestry.

Either way, a continent in ruins after WW2 bears no resemblance to modern day Europe.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast

I'm curious to know if that banner is still hanging up in Madrid. After they receive 5 million new refugees will it still be there? 10 million? 50 million?
Legal immigration is good but the country receiving them must be able to set the quotas.

Charles Miller

I dont know if its comparable with the rest of europe. There are 420.000 immigrants in Portugal, right? 85.000 are Brazilians with the same idiom, same religion, same hollidays, people who read the same books, same poets, etc..i'm not saying that immigration from different cultures is bad, just not comparable.

In the 2000s when Brazilian economy was booming we had many professionals from Portugal coming here. After some weeks when you stop finding their accent funny, you can't even remember they are foreigners because they are exactly like a white middle class Brazilian from Sao Paulo or the South.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal

Europe has never experienced anything close to the levels and types of immigration seen during the refugee crisis. These are not skilled workers, they are not being brought over to rebuild after a major war, they are not moves between neighbouring cultures. It will take years to integrate them all and there will be a cost to that, there already is. In Germany alone it is costing €20 billion per year. How it turns out in the long term is impossible to say.
I was replying to a post that said immigrants will bankrupt welfare systems. In Portugal it's the opposite as it seems to be in many countries.

They may not be rebuilding after a war but I often see the employers saying they need workers for stuff like cleaning services, restaurants, hotels and stuff like that. They're short and they employ many foreigners.

I'm sure many countries who intake in one go a massive number of people will struggle, but the general idea that immigrants are by default bad for european welfare systems is just wrong.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
I'm curious to know if that banner is still hanging up in Madrid. After they receive 5 million new refugees will it still be there? 10 million? 50 million?
Legal immigration is good but the country receiving them must be able to set the quotas.
Your argument seems to be that if things were different, things would be different.

Portugal and Spain don't have open borders for non-EU citizens, but the welfare system is not suffering from current immigration, it's actually benefiting from it. So yeah, I wouldn't mind a banner like that in my city town hall.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
I dont know if its comparable with the rest of europe. There are 420.000 immigrants in Portugal, right? 85.000 are Brazilians with the same idiom, same religion, same hollidays, people who read the same books, same poets, etc..i'm not saying that immigration from different cultures is bad, just not comparable.

In the 2000s when Brazilian economy was booming we had many professionals from Portugal coming here. After some weeks when you stop finding their accent funny, you can't even remember they are foreigners because they are exactly like a white middle class Brazilian from Sao Paulo or the South.
Sure, of course that helps, nobody can deny that.

If things are done right, I don't think culture and religion is such a massive issue. In my town we have syrian refugees and nepalese immigrants and they take classes to learn the language are are little by little getting jobs and integrating.

There are issues and difficulties, sure. But this default attitude that immigrants are bad for welfare systems and disruptive to native cultures is just nonsense. That's kinda my point in this topic.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Actually the immigrants that sucks more resources are the retired brits and germans that spends all year long in the country and most likely to be sick and using expensive medicines. Most of the immigrants, EU or not that comes to work, they are healthy and working. And the ones that comes from a non developed countries, they work even if they are sick because they need the money and some employers abuse of their situation

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
That’s got to rankle alright, though I thought there was some form of reimbursement from the UK govmnt to Spain for medical services rendered to UK retirees in Spain?

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
That’s got to rankle alright, though I thought there was some form of reimbursement from the UK govmnt to Spain for medical services rendered to UK retirees in Spain?
Yes, there is a refund. From what I've seen, it's usually around 250-300 million a year

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
And the ones that comes from a non developed countries, they work even if they are sick because they need the money and some employers abuse of their situation
Can’t stand that. And lots of times the worst offenders are people of their own nationality.
Just goes to show, there are pricks everywhere.

Last edited:

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
I work for a large American food manufacturing company based here in the north west of England as part of their management team. The factory employs roughly 600 people & is run on a 24/7 - 4 shift basis. They are very big on diversity, & we have a wide-ranging group of employees from all cultures & from all parts of the world. Naturally, the vast majority are white British as this is fairly representative of the area as a whole. Now as I very much fit into the age category of a 'bacon-faced baby-boomer', I have to say that I very much go against the grain with that generalization. I totally despair at the attitudes of a lot of the indigenous population of this country. In comparison to those from the less-developed parts of this planet they haven't a clue as to just how fortunate they are. One young man who fled Syria with his younger brother a couple of years ago now works for us as a General Operator on a salary of just over £26,000 pa. He told me that he feels like he's won the lottery living & working here in the UK. He sends money home to his family every month & is also saving to finish off his medical studies which were brought to a halt by the war in his homeland. Once qualified he hopes to eventually find work here as a doctor. He is indicative of most the non-Brits who work at our factory. Very hard workers who are reliable & don't abuse the generous company sick-pay. On the other end of the scale we have a young local bloke in his mid 30's who's gone off long-term sick with 'depression'. This lad, up until recently, had spent all his life living at home with his Mum. She & her husband (his Dad) had split up when the kids were only quite young. His Father though made sure they were all cared for. He paid off the house for his ex-wife & has made sure his offspring were looked after financially throughout their respective lives. The Dad now lives in Tenerife & runs a successful business. Seeing as his ex-wife had met another man & was close to retirement, she decided she wanted to move up to Scotland & live with him. But there was the problem of her son still living at home with her. The father gave this young bloke £30,000 as a deposit for a brand new house situated in really nice area. He also paid for all the legal, conveyancing fees etc, & gave him a couple of grand for furniture. Lucky, lucky sod I hear you say. Not for him apparently because he's now suffering with depression brought on by financial problems. The fact that he's a heavy smoker, heavy drinker, & likes - or so I'm informed - to snort white powder up his nose quite regularly seems to have escaped his qualification of just why these financial problems have suddenly manifested themselves right out of the blue. He's just one example of many who play the system, & in the vast majority of cases it's generally the younger, British, members of the work force who are the primary culprits.

So for me personally, I embrace the opportunity for more people like our young man from Syria to come & help bolster the UK workforce. It gives me hope for the future. It also gives me a little bit of hope that maybe, just maybe, their industrious, grateful, attitude might rub off on some of our hyper-entitled members of society.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Good luck with that!
More likely they’ll get a dressing down in the break room to slow it down so as not to make others look bad.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
I work for a large American food manufacturing company based here in the north west of England as part of their management team. The factory employs roughly 600 people & is run on a 24/7 - 4 shift basis. They are very big on diversity, & we have a wide-ranging group of employees from all cultures & from all parts of the world. Naturally, the vast majority are white British as this is fairly representative of the area as a whole. Now as I very much fit into the age category of a 'bacon-faced baby-boomer', I have to say that I very much go against the grain with that generalization. I totally despair at the attitudes of a lot of the indigenous population of this country. In comparison to those from the less-developed parts of this planet they haven't a clue as to just how fortunate they are. One young man who fled Syria with his younger brother a couple of years ago now works for us as a General Operator on a salary of just over £26,000 pa. He told me that he feels like he's won the lottery living & working here in the UK. He sends money home to his family every month & is also saving to finish off his medical studies which were brought to a halt by the war in his homeland. Once qualified he hopes to eventually find work here as a doctor. He is indicative of most the non-Brits who work at our factory. Very hard workers who are reliable & don't abuse the generous company sick-pay. On the other end of the scale we have a young local bloke in his mid 30's who's gone off long-term sick with 'depression'. This lad, up until recently, had spent all his life living at home with his Mum. She & her husband (his Dad) had split up when the kids were only quite young. His Father though made sure they were all cared for. He paid off the house for his ex-wife & has made sure his offspring were looked after financially throughout their respective lives. The Dad now lives in Tenerife & runs a successful business. Seeing as his ex-wife had met another man & was close to retirement, she decided she wanted to move up to Scotland & live with him. But there was the problem of her son still living at home with her. The father gave this young bloke £30,000 as a deposit for a brand new house situated in really nice area. He also paid for all the legal, conveyancing fees etc, & gave him a couple of grand for furniture. Lucky, lucky sod I hear you say. Not for him apparently because he's now suffering with depression brought on by financial problems. The fact that he's a heavy smoker, heavy drinker, & likes - or so I'm informed - to snort white powder up his nose quite regularly seems to have escaped his qualification of just why these financial problems have suddenly manifested themselves right out of the blue. He's just one example of many who play the system, & in the vast majority of cases it's generally the younger, British, members of the work force who are the primary culprits.

So for me personally, I embrace the opportunity for more people like our young man from Syria to come & help bolster the UK workforce. It gives me hope for the future. It also gives me a little bit of hope that maybe, just maybe, their industrious, grateful, attitude might rub off on some of our hyper-entitled members of society.
Just for a bit of balance, I'm a immigrate living in England and I used to use my dole money so I could sit around all day at home watching old soviet films(''Joking'' of course). Slagging off the locals doesn't make you any less of ''bacon-faced baby-boomer'' nor should you get any credit for paying someone under the average UK salary(It's 27,271). And not to dampen your sprits some more but from experience workers will tell management all sorts rubbish to make them go away quicker.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
The truth is that I never worked so hard and had a more positive attitude than now that I immigrate to canada. In Spain I had it so easy. Also in Spain I don't see the same opportunities than in canada and that helps too.

Is normal for the locals to slack as they get more from the society for less effort, and immigrating you don't have that luxury

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
Just for a bit of balance, I'm a immigrate living in England and I used to use my dole money so I could sit around all day at home watching old soviet films(''Joking'' of course). Slagging off the locals doesn't make you any less of ''bacon-faced baby-boomer'' nor should you get any credit for paying someone under the average UK salary(It's 27,271). And not to dampen your sprits some more but from experience workers will tell management all sorts rubbish to make them go away quicker.
The wages are set in accordance with other employers in the area who employ people with similar skills to do a similar job. I personally don't have any say in that side of things anyway. But the company I work for has other sites across the UK & all use the same rule. So workers down south will actually receive pay that's higher than the national average. Besides, the average house price in Britain is around £230,000. Our house however is only worth approx £190,000. It's still a very nice house though. Of course, what the national average wage doesn't take into account is additional benefits that employers provide. For example, unlike a lot of employers nowdays, we still have an excellent final salary scheme in place, even for new starters. People with 5 or years more service are entitled to 48 weeks off sick with full pay. Then there's a heavily subsidized canteen which provides a range of hot food across all shifts 7 days/nights a week. There are other benefits too such as £250 pa towards gym memberships. So even though we do get some employees moaning about hard done by they are, we generally don't get that many leaving.

& FYI, the young Syrian gentleman I spoke about actually approached me to discuss how happy he was. It was I who had to break off the conversation. But I didn't need him to tell me that anyway because I see it in most of the people from eastern Europe, Africa, the middle east etc. I suspect he's happy because he probably knows a lot of his fellow migrants have had to settle for the shitty, low-paid jobs in crap working conditions. You know, the type of jobs that the average Brit would turn their noses up at. So all-in-all it's a perfects situation for people really. You have the benefits of a free-market, capitalist society in that you have the option of taking your employment elsewhere if you're not happy with what your current employer is offering. & you have the socialist idealism insofar that everyone is treated equally regardless of race, creed, colour etc. Even the lazy twats who regularly abuse the system are treated fairly.................Would you like me to send you an application form ?

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
The wages are set in accordance with other employers in the area who employ people with similar skills to do a similar job. I personally don't have any say in that side of things anyway. But the company I work for has other sites across the UK & all use the same rule. So workers down south will actually receive pay that's higher than the national average. Besides, the average house price in Britain is around £230,000. Our house however is only worth approx £190,000. It's still a very nice house though. Of course, what the national average wage doesn't take into account is additional benefits that employers provide. For example, unlike a lot of employers nowdays, we still have an excellent final salary scheme in place, even for new starters. People with 5 or years more service are entitled to 48 weeks off sick with full pay. Then there's a heavily subsidized canteen which provides a range of hot food across all shifts 7 days/nights a week. There are other benefits too such as £250 pa towards gym memberships. So even though we do get some employees moaning about hard done by they are, we generally don't get that many leaving.
How is someone who is working on a £26,000 salary after feeding, clothing, paying rent etc.(Basically just functioning in society)as well sending money back to relatives. Meant to be able to buy a home and raise a family ?

But I didn't need him to tell me that anyway because I see it in most of the people from eastern Europe, Africa, the middle east etc. I suspect he's happy because he probably knows a lot of his fellow migrants have had to settle for the shitty, low-paid jobs in crap working conditions. You know, the type of jobs that the average Brit would turn their noses up at.
So all-in-all it's a perfects situation for people really.
So it's not a perfect situation then ?

you have the socialist idealism insofar that everyone is treated equally regardless of race, creed, colour etc. Even the lazy twats who regularly abuse the system are treated fairly.................Would you like me to send you an application form ?
People are in no way treated equally at all when it comes to race, sex, gender in the UK.

.Would you like me to send you an application form ?
Do you do free cinema tickets ?

How is someone who is working on a £26,000 salary after feeding, clothing, paying rent etc.(Basically just functioning in society)as well sending money back to relatives. Meant to be able to buy a home and raise a family ?
Probably because people who come from nothing know what it means to scrape by. They don't need a Sky plus internet package, a Friday night out or a new pair of trainers. 26k is more than enough to live on.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
Probably because people who come from nothing know what it means to scrape by. They don't need a Sky plus internet package, a Friday night out or a new pair of trainers. 26k is more than enough to live on.
:lol:

Last edited:

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Of course buying a house is out of the question in most parts of the UK, but that applies to most people even the better than average paid people.

But didn't he say the person he is talking about is a single man from Syria? In that context 26k is enough.