European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

90 + 5min

UK govt public comments. The Duke of Cambridge's office also jumped in. And then the whole public went crazy.
Don't think the clubs expected serious backlash from outside the PL, FA, UEFA and FIFA.
With Brexit, government can do a LOT without paying attention to Europe.

Infestissumam

I say good luck whatever they want to do but not with our club.

Fixtures that could be:

PreSeason
Atl Madrid - Real Madrid

Season
Atl Madrid - Real Madrid
Real Madrid - Atl Madrid

Cup
Atl Madrid - Real Madrid

End of season
how long are the games going to be? Asking for the young people who apparently can't focus for 90 minutes.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
The world dreamed of a mix between the Emirates Cup and the Audi Cup and they've done it ! What a great day this is, congrats Florentino ! :drool:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
They're deluded. The ESL won't function without the English, German or French clubs and nobody else is going to rush to join them either. And by "function" I mean be financially viable. This is something that needs to be heavily financed, not patchworked together.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
UK govt public comments. The Duke of Cambridge's office also jumped in. And then the whole public went crazy.
Don't think the clubs expected serious backlash from outside the PL, FA, UEFA and FIFA.
It’s weird though, right? That they did not anticipate such backlash? People calling them amateurs are on to something, I think.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
With Brexit, government can do a LOT without paying attention to Europe.
And the agreement with the EU excluded services, deliberately, so basically you are right - even though our competition law is basically the same as the EU's (for the moment), we can do what we want in terms of football.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
HOLD UP

What's the logic behind this? Are they going to make their tournament into a yearly pre-season tournament, or are they going to make this into a tournament amongst themselves similar to the tournaments in the early 1900s?

EDIT: More info
So, are the previous English clubs going to be replaced by other European clubs ?

Decade long lurker

Been off work this week. Following this assault on football. Let’s be honest. The supporters of all the 6 and the wider clubs affected stopped this abomination. Was an unprecedented outcry that echoed around the globe. Kudos due. Seeing all supporters rally against this has really lifted me from where I was last Sunday evening

izec

I expect one of Barca/Atletico to leave tomorrow and that will be it. Thought Milan would be out as well.

Real and Juve will stay til the end though

RedStarUnited

A PR disaster. How did they plan to do this without;
  • Any plan on managing the fan/media backlash?
  • Buy in from players
  • Sponsors in place
  • Clear rules on how teams 'qualify' into it

For this to have been anything close to a success, a huge marketing initiative would have been needed to sell the product.

ray24

Supports
Arsenal
I wonder if the fanbase would stop crying out for a mega-signing like Haaland and etc? Especially if the club says they have no money to spend?

Foxbatt

They're deluded. The ESL won't function without the English, German or French clubs and nobody else is going to rush to join them either. And by "function" I mean be financially viable. This is something that needs to be heavily financed, not patchworked together.
Shhh. Don't let Perez hear that. He thinks it is the La Liga that keeps fans watching football.

izec

• Buy in from players
  • Sponsors in place

For this to have been anything close to a success, a huge marketing initiative would have been needed to sell the product.
They should have slowly introduced it for the future, with getting the players and everyone on board. Transparency was key. They rushed it behind everyones back and hoped for the best

Camara

Supports
FC Porto
Maybe the Italians and spanards will create a mini in-season league for themselves to be played parallel to their domestic league. Maybe invite the 3 portugese giants as well.
All of them refused, Porto even mentioned they refused before it was announced.

Moiraine

Madrid and Barca must realize and accept the bitter reality that their Champions League dominance days are over. They have to pay the price of unrealistic wages and buying all the stars. The era of Spanish dominance is over!

This stunt they tried to pull was based on pure self greed and save their Clubs. Now come back to the level playing field and face the consequences of running your club poorly, without financial viability.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
  • Buy in from players
  • Sponsors in place

I read somewhere that they had a PR team but I didn't see any sign of it. They just left a void that was filled by opponents to the idea.

90 + 5min

And the agreement with the EU excluded services, deliberately, so basically you are right - even though our competition law is basically the same as the EU's (for the moment), we can do what we want in terms of football.
Great location by the way. Lot of us are living there, we've been told.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Is there even an apology in that? Feck FSG.
I think that’s a club apology pal. We’ll see what FSG say in the coming days. On the chance it is them they come across as whiny petulant bitches. Those cnuts won’t set foot in Anfield again.

R'hllor

Think whats worst thing of all, is they tried to use pandemic as excuse and on top of that, use restrictions like no gatherings caused by COVID to avoid certain aspects of backlash, how big pieces of shit you have to be.

Giggs86

The funniest part from all of this is that Levy won't be reimbursed for firing Mourinho now

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
When I was a younger man, I thought that the people at the top must know what they were doing. That they were smart informed people, that if the decisions they made seem stupid, it only seemed that way because I didn't have the information or perspective that they have.

I reasoned that surely to get to a position of power, you must be intelligent, educated and reasonable.

I have come to realise that power is split between lucky morons, morons with money, and malicious, blood sucking vampires, who are usually morons.

Never has this been made more clear to me than this hilarious clusterfeck.
Have a read of this mate, sums it up.

90 + 5min

Shhh. Don't let Perez hear that. He thinks it is the La Liga that keeps fans watching football.
He also thinks world stops when Barcelona and Real Madrid plays but when we play against our neighbours it is nothing. There will be lot of world stoping if they go ahead with this.

Camara

Supports
FC Porto
Madrid and Barca must realize and accept the bitter reality that their Champions League dominance days are over. They have to pay the price of unrealistic wages and buying all the stars. The era of Spanish dominance is over!

This stunt they tried to pull was based on pure self greed and save their Clubs. Now come back to the level playing field and face the consequences of running your club poorly, without financial viability.
And the karma is that it was THEM burning La Liga to the ground with their TV rights cartel.
Now La Liga is boring and they are getting the payback.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
I think the reason why the spanish clubs haven't withdrawn is because they'll sue the others for breach of contract worth hundreds of millions. You don't sign a contract one day going into hundreds of pages and withdraw the next day without consequences.

You can bet your arse our transfer kitty will be going to madrid and barcelona.