European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
If anything, this whole debacle just reignited worldwide interest in football and has put way, way more eyes on it than ever before. This'll probably be one of the unintended benefits for all of the teams; more people will now be tuning into the Champions League and Europa League tournaments with more appreciation for the teams outside of the big 12.

R'hllor

How out of touch you have to be to think that this will just pass and you can schrug the uproar off. Also they might got what they wanted from UEFA but there is no return from it for them in the eyes of everyone else.

Also think this aint over, they will try to let dust settle a bit and they will start coctailing something else but also hoping that gov. and others use this time to start placing laws and tools to combat these cnuts on legal battlefield aswell.

Edit: If possible we should have this thread pinned because like i said, this is just the beggining of the battle.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yeah but it was the English clubs that broke this whole thing. So if the Yanks knew their audience, they would have known this would never fly.
That's a bit of a stretch. German and french clubs rejected it first, English only left when the pressure was too much and sponsors leaving them.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
They anticipated pushback from the fans, but I think they severely underestimated the sheer scale of public outcry that this would generate. It was bound to trigger sponsors to run for the hills. I don’t think the govt taking a tough stance helped either.
The fans knocked down the first domino. The rest then began to fall.
Fans reaction - esp. on Twitter & The FA meeting Boris
Aye, I agree that the fans set the ball rolling. Once that happened, I guess it was going to be too much of an easy issue to champion for the govt.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
HOLD UP

What's the logic behind this? Are they going to make their tournament into a yearly pre-season tournament, or are they going to make this into a tournament amongst themselves similar to the tournaments in the early 1900s?

EDIT: More info

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Can anyone confirm that there is a fine associated with leaving the Super League that those clubs have signed? Would be funny to see them all tear each other apart as their little league is burning to the ground.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
HOLD UP

What's the logic behind this? Are they going to make their tournament into a yearly pre-season tournament, or are they going to make this into a tournament amongst themselves similar to the tournaments in the early 1900s?
And who is going to put money behind that? Whatever financial agreement they had is null and void now that the teams are leaving.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
We all won but Spurs seem to have come out on top from these past few days. Imagine if they beat City now as well :lol:.
The only ones that won are the ones that back in the CL with potentially more money. Arsenal, Spurs are fecked. Especially spurs. Massive debt not making CL and now SL dead in the water, it's far from ideal for them.

rumac

When I was a younger man, I thought that the people at the top must know what they were doing. That they were smart informed people, that if the decisions they made seem stupid, it only seemed that way because I didn't have the information or perspective that they have.

I reasoned that surely to get to a position of power, you must be intelligent, educated and reasonable.

I have come to realise that power is split between lucky morons, morons with money, and malicious, blood sucking vampires, who are usually morons.

Never has this been made more clear to me than this hilarious clusterfeck.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
That's a bit of a stretch. German and french clubs rejected it first, English only left when the pressure was too much and sponsors leaving them.
PSG would have joined, the Germans couldn't. My point was more about the English fans.

I think the German fans would have done the same but it didn't even get that far with them because of their club structure.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
HOLD UP

Can’t see this lasting another 24 more hours.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Can anyone confirm that there is a fine associated with leaving the Super League that those clubs have signed? Would be funny to see them all tear each other apart as their little league is burning to the ground.
If they all leave then probably not. Also apparently it wasn't legally binding until it started so therefore they might get away with it. Im sure they will get some payoff from Uefa anyway

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
They got off to a bad start right away. It was supposed to have 15 founding clubs. Without Bayern and PSG it already became harder to sell.
Yep, I missed that one out as well. A very valid point. Can’t have a super league without last year’s CL finalists.

spiriticon

If anything, this whole debacle just reignited worldwide interest in football and has put way, way more eyes on it than ever before. This'll probably be one of the unintended benefits for all of the teams; more people will now be tuning into the Champions League and Europa League tournaments with more appreciation for the teams outside of the big 12.
It will definitely increase neutral support against the 'big' 12 I think. If I were a neutral, I want each and every one of the 12 to lose every match and maybe end up broke and bankrupt. It's a great rhetoric to start following the sport more closely.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Spurs aren’t looking too good financially are they?
I think they thought they hit the jackpot with this if it went through !
Their squad needs a massive overhaul, might lose their biggest star and close to a billion in debt with their new empty stadium !
There was a chart with Arsenal at -125M, United at -500+ and Chelsea/City/Spurs above the billion mark. Although we all know that Chelsea's and City's don't really count and will vanish some day.

The Liverpool statement is beyond insulting. They're all equally disgusting but at least Arsenal took more than 30s to write theirs and did "apologize" :lol:
They have no shame...

Zen86

Also think this aint over, they will try to let dust settle a bit and they will start coctailing something else but also hoping that gov. and others use this time to start placing laws and tools to combat these cnuts on legal battlefield aswell.
Knowing how out of touch these guys are, it’ll be reincarnated as Ultimate Euro Leagueball or something similarly wanky.

killerboi2

I find it hilarious that there are probably people who were talking absolute drivel about Ole's results vs the "traditional top 6" or whatever all up in arms about the Super League. But yeah if Chelsea and City are out then the whole thing is pretty dead.

R'hllor

Current situation doesnt work for Spain and Italy clubs, they have no shame fecking their leagues or gaining advantage on other teams in respective league. If they get X amount of less without PL teams but those numbers are still way higher than CL or w/e, they are desparate enough for money to keep pushing this.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
TBH I'm shocked at how amateurish this all was. How the feck did they not see this coming that the entire football world would protest and lash out against it? They are truly that far removed from normality. Sociopaths.

90 + 5min

HOLD UP

I say good luck whatever they want to do but not with our club.

Fixtures that could be:

PreSeason
Atl Madrid - Real Madrid

Season
Atl Madrid - Real Madrid
Real Madrid - Atl Madrid

Cup
Atl Madrid - Real Madrid

End of season

spiriticon

Wooo my dreams of a Spanish Super League consisting of Real and Barca playing each other 38 times are getting more real by the second :D

RedDevil@84

What do you people think was the catalyst for the dismantling of the ESL? The fans’ protests? Amazon saying “no dice”? Or the first club announcing that they were going to leave?
UK govt public comments. The Duke of Cambridge's office also jumped in. And then the whole public went crazy.
Don't think the clubs expected serious backlash from outside the PL, FA, UEFA and FIFA.