European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wr8_utd

:'(
And the karma is that it was THEM burning La Liga to the ground with their TV rights cartel.
Now La Liga is boring and they are getting the payback.
This bit is not true. It's genuinely a higher quality and more competitive league than the Premier League right now.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
When I was a younger man, I thought that the people at the top must know what they were doing. That they were smart informed people, that if the decisions they made seem stupid, it only seemed that way because I didn't have the information or perspective that they have.

I reasoned that surely to get to a position of power, you must be intelligent, educated and reasonable.

I have come to realise that power is split between lucky morons, morons with money, and malicious, blood sucking vampires, who are usually morons.

Never has this been made more clear to me than this hilarious clusterfeck.
Haha, eloquently put. I think we all assume that at some point because that’s the image we’re sold. What a moment it is when the scales fall from your eyes. Positively Wizard of Oz-ish

lysglimt

Scout
I believe this is all a part of Daniel Levy's great plan to sack Mourinho while creating as little fuzz as possible. The entire Super League was his plan. :)

el3mel

HOLD UP

What's the logic behind this? Are they going to make their tournament into a yearly pre-season tournament, or are they going to make this into a tournament amongst themselves similar to the tournaments in the early 1900s?

EDIT: More info
:lol:

They're really in denial phase aren't they ? They're refusing to believe it's over.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
Maybe Perez is frantically trying to set up meetings with the teams that participated in the inaugural European Cup, and market it as a back-to-the-roots, truly historically accurate European Cup. So brace yourselves representatives of Hibernian, Gwardia Warsaw and Stade de Reims. You’ll be getting a panicky phone call from a very desperate Spaniard soon.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Maybe Perez is frantically trying to set up meetings with the teams that participated in the inaugural European Cup, and market it as a back-to-the-roots, truly historically accurate European Cup. So brace yourselves representatives of Hibernian, Gwardia Warsaw and Stade de Reims. You’ll be getting a panicky phone call from a very desperate Spaniard soon.
:lol:

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
I am so glad that this farce is over. But florentino has something under his sleeve. The ESL is over ( for now) and is the best news, but this guy is a shark of businesses and he always plays in a win wi. Situation.

Examples

He stole Figo from barcelona. If Figo was not about to come, he had to oay a huge lump of money (figo thought that he florentino would not win after real winning 2 champions with the previous board)

He had a project with ACS ( one of the biggest infrastructor contractors in the world, and he is the CEO) to exploit and area for oil in Spain. Aftet it was obvious that it was causing mini earthwakes and jeopardizing the area, de spanish government said to stop prospects and the spanosh government ( so the tax payers) will need to pay 1.5 billions in compensations

If after the 6 english teams that left, the others are staying in, is because there is big money involved. I dont know if it will be finally paid, but is not normal and i dont see Perez doing an amateurish move like this without a save back up plan

Teja

So, it seems like people decided that proxy battles between Russia, Qatar, China and Saudi Arabia on the football pitch is better than having an ESL. That's fine by me, but I hope people realize what they're rallying against.

I for one am not happy about United, Real Madrid and Barcelona becoming irrelevant clubs because they can't really compete against nation state levels of wealth and excess. Know that financial fair play is well and truly dead because of what has transpired over the past year or two. A billion for Qatar is nothing - a rounding error in their oil revenues. A billion for Barcelona is the difference between bankruptcy and survival as a football club.

If anything, I'd welcome our Saudi overlords if they chose to take over United. I hope you do too, otherwise what awaits is just a slow fade to obscurity.

fergies coat

I am so glad that this farce is over. But florentino has something under his sleeve. The ESL is over ( for now) and is the best news, but this guy is a shark of businesses and he always plays in a win wi. Situation.

Examples

He stole Figo from barcelona. If Figo was not about to come, he had to oay a huge lump of money (figo thought that he florentino would not win after real winning 2 champions with the previous board)

He had a project with ACS ( one of the biggest infrastructor contractors in the world, and he is the CEO) to exploit and area for oil in Spain. Aftet it was obvious that it was causing mini earthwakes and jeopardizing the area, de spanish government said to stop prospects and the spanosh government ( so the tax payers) will need to pay 1.5 billions in compensations

If after the 6 english teams that left, the others are staying in, is because there is big money involved. I dont know if it will be finally paid, but is not normal and i dont see Perez doing an amateurish move like this without a save back up plan
He can do what he likes. No one are going to consider who wins that farce of a competition European champions.

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
I believe this is all a part of Daniel Levy's great plan to sack Mourinho while creating as little fuzz as possible. The entire Super League was his plan. :)
I believe it's a poor calculation by Levy. He thought he would get the money to compensate Mourinho sacking.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Well, Perez's position is slowly getting weaker. Inter are going to be the next club to leave the Super League.

HerrLeinad

Supports
Bayern München
So, it seems like people decided that proxy battles between Russia, Qatar, China and Saudi Arabia on the football pitch is better than having an ESL. That's fine by me, but I hope people realize what they're rallying against.

I for one am not happy about United, Real Madrid and Barcelona becoming irrelevant clubs because they can't really compete against nation state levels of wealth and excess. Know that financial fair play is well and truly dead because of what has transpired over the past year or two. A billion for Qatar is nothing - a rounding error in their oil revenues. A billion for Barcelona is the difference between bankruptcy and survival as a football club.

If anything, I'd welcome our Saudi overlords if they chose to take over United. I hope you do too, otherwise what awaits is just a slow fade to obscurity.
Or maybe you could simply decide to do something against ownership like this and stop inflating prices for everyone, how about that?
Not to mention that the ESL was never supposed to stop the dirty money, it would have only exaggerated the problem.

arthurka

So why hasn’t he been this vocal before? Fans have asked for them to speak out about the reality of our ownership but only now can Souness talks about dividends the Glazers have taken since 2005? Only now can Neville direct his frustration at the Glazers on TV? This is what pisses me off with this situation. It should have been said 15 years ago, not now.
This, it's embarrassing to see him come alive after the club has finally being buried by the owners.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
He can do what he likes. No one are going to consider who wins that farce of a competition European champions.
Is not about the competition anymore. I suspect monetary compensation of contractual obligations for the clubs that withdrew

But i hope he fails miserably. Dont get me wrong

Robertd0803

Hey everybody!
Let's laugh at Liverpool and Chelsea dropping points!!!

:lol: :lol:
There was actual football this week??
I wonder what all the consultants and analysts that worked on this Super League project are thinking at the moment.

No doubt that smart people have done their research but the miscalculation truly is something else. This will be studied in universities what went wrong from a PR perspective.
Definitley. What an absolute shit show.

Teja

Or maybe you could simply decide to do something against ownership like this and stop inflating prices for everyone, how about that?
Not to mention that the ESL was never supposed to stop the dirty money, it would have only exaggerated the problem.
UEFA has already proven it can't do anything about money in football. For every regulation they put up, there are a 1000 ways to get around them. Business people are smart about figuring out workarounds, that's what they get paid for. And regulation can't keep up pace with the trickery that private companies can come up with.

I will wager now that this is a greenlight for the Newcastle take over and we'll be complaining about them in 2-3 years and in 10 years they will be at the level of a PSG or City.

Maybe this enough of a shock for UEFA that they'll do something serious, but I very much doubt they have it in them.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Have a read of this mate, sums it up.

Yeah, when people in the media talk about the clandestine meetings to create the super league, in actual fact it was more like that scene in Sunderland til I die where the owner is negotiating buying Will Greg.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Is this going to end up being Real Madrid & Barcelona playing each other over and over again?

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid

Examples

I was thinking about this before. How is possible that an agreement is broken so easily without further consequences? The lawyers must have prepared some very serious compensations for that case. It's either that, or what has happened was a completely unpredictable scenario that has caught everyone by surprise.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
My 12 year old son and his pals would play FIFA all day, every day, if they could. Every single one of them thought this initiative was a terrible idea. They’ve grown up obsessed with the Champion’s League and didn’t want it scrapped.
I played a ton of FIFA with friends in college and after we got bored of 3-4 games of Madrid-Barca or United-Chelsea, we'd switch to some 70- or 60-rated teams. Surely the SL would have led to the same problem of repetition.