European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
ECA is not the founding members of the ESL, guys. There's no statement yet from The12
ECA is the OCG and the AFO should have stuck with the ARU instead of pissing about with the CHIS and now the NS are involved. I’m not surprised there’s been no statement from AC-12 yet, mate.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
You certainly can if the participating club is in breach of contact. The TV license deals are paid out annually. If it doesnt happpen, it simply doesn't get paid, or the clubs are forced to pay back the fee, like they were in 2020 during Covid.

If the product isn't able to be delivered, the value of the contract will simply be lowered.
What's breach of contract here ?

The lower contract is exactly the problem. You ban these clubs and you can kiss bye forever to CL. No one is watching CL without these clubs

cjj

Supports
Spurs
As far as I am aware it would be a breakaway league, so all teams involved would leave their current league and not participate anymore.
There would be 12 founding members who cannot be removed from the league in the form of relegation.
5 clubs would be invited each season to participate (the winners of the remaining teams in the top 5 leagues england, france, germany, spain, italy)
Pretty sure it's just instead of any other European cup, and has no bearing on the domestic leagues themselves.

el3mel

People say they will replace existing CL.

Truth - no one has said anything about. That's just a lazy assumption.

People says, it will destroy the soul of football.

Truth - how exactly? No club is leaving the domestic leagues, no clubs is devaluing the domestic leagues and no one has said anything about it either.

What I understand is that,, Everything will continue to work the same way except for certain clubs who would play an additional tournament in some parts of the world and that has been approved by FIFA.
The UEFA announced that all participated clubs will be banned from domestic and European competitions :

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/new...he-english-football-association-the-premier-/

If you think this is just a play from them to scare clubs out of it, I mean at the end it's really your own assumption and interpretation of such announcement and nothing more.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Seems to me like they leaked something to dip their toe in the waters of public opinion.
The public opinion seems to be akin to inviting the mob of Rome down to the docks and have the emperor torch the shipment of grain from Egypt infront of their eyes while giving them the finger.

Hansa

Hopefully people can begin to see the damage that was done to European football when teams from the so-called big leagues were given preference in the Champions League by receiving automatic qualification at the expense of the majority of European countries, brought about after suffering some embarrasing defeats in the qualifying rounds (including our own against Galatasaray in 1993). Making sure the money stayed within an elite group of teams was a horrible idea to begin with. If you give children unlimited access to candy, of course they are going to throw a tantrum if this is somehow taken away from them (in this case due to Covid). "Who wants to see [insert random team outside the big ones]?". Well, I grew up watching Barcelona being beaten home and away by Dundee United, being absolutely thrashed by the Shevchenko-led Dinamo Kiev, and needing penalties to go through after suffering a 3-0 defeat against IFK Gothenburg in Sweden. For me, this was 100% more exciting than watching the umpteenth match between Bayern and Barca.

hp88

Is there any ruling that says teams can't just join or make a new competition? Which is essentially all this is.
Yeah guy on Sky Sports just quoted Rule L9 which would them from playing in this new league.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Pretty certain that even if they announce SL, UEFA would work with these clubs and come to a compromise. Maybe instead of 36 teams, they'd have 40 odd teams. Teams that are in top 10 of coefficient rankings get an automatic CL spot. Maybe instead of 4 slots, they'd give 6 slots to Spain, Italy and England, and stuff like that.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
The public opinion seems to be akin to inviting the mob of Rome down to the docks and have the emperor torch the shipment of grain from Egypt infront of their eyes while giving them the finger.
It does, so it was probably a good idea of them to leak it!

Now they can release a statement saying something like "we are in talks because we are not happy with FIFA/UEFA/WHOEVER but nothing has been decided and we'd never go against the spirit of the game, despite what you read on Twitter".

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I thought they "refused". There are probably some good reasons. France and Germany may not have the "biggest" clubs, though it's debatable for Bayern, but they are the strongest countries economically. I think it will be interesting.
I have a hard time believing that they refused, we are probably missing something.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Gotta ask again why are City and any club that cheated financially even invited? I think we all know the answer. And I'll just add that UEFA etc have not always been perfect either. They're all greedy as far as i'm concerned. And the game was 'gone' a long time ago. You have idiots paid way to much money purely to waste money and show others on soical media how to be an idiot. I think many footballers, even ex ones would back say....Pogbas suggested wage and say...'goodluck to him and his agent because if they pay it he'd be (or they'd ) worth it'. And that it;'s not greedy when it is. We've heard such things in the past but the games moved on and now players can make extra money on the side so the game is FULL of greed. Believe me. And they do miss the fans. Cause the fans give them and make them money. So for me there is little to invest in this discussion. No one talks about how money is created or the great reset of finance. Again, why would any oil money club be invited? We know they cheat with their money so it seems this don't matter at the foundational level and therefore it's amazing to talk of greed now. Is it just now that people who live in a bubble, know their are poor people living in this developed nation? And other nations that should be ashamed of themselves for what they've done. It's a shame for them and their ego and an insult to people who work harder then most of these fools and struggle because the money system in general is corrupt to the core. But justice for rich people! The game was dead a long time ago. At this level, it becomes a culmination of all that is wrong in and about sport which is ONLY about the worst things in a culture.

Last edited:

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Yes but not from so many politicians. They hold the sway of many people.
I don't really think so.

It's literally a breakaway league, pissing people off comes as part of it. It's because it's in the 12 teams' interest they're doing it in the first place.

Kounan

Hopefully people can begin to see the damage that was done to European football when teams from the so-called big leagues were given preference in the Champions League by receiving automatic qualification at the expense of the majority of European countries, brought about after suffering some embarrasing defeats in the qualifying rounds (including our own against Galatasaray in 1993). Making sure the money stayed within an elite group of teams was a horrible idea to begin with. If you give children unlimited access to candy, of course they are going to throw a tantrum if this is somehow taken away from them (in this case due to Covid). "Who wants to see [insert random team outside the big ones]?". Well, I grew up watching Barcelona being beaten home and away by Dundee United, being absolutely thrashed by the Shevchenko-led Dinamo Kiev, and needing penalties to go through after suffering a 3-0 defeat against IFK Gothenburg in Sweden. For me, this was 100% more exciting than watching the umpteenth match between Bayern and Barca.
Even if I do understand why some clubs want the Superleague, I can totally realte to this. Even long ago I have reduce my time watching football as I knew that I am not really missing anything, as in a week there will be another game between to big sides, while the games against small sides are usually very boring.

predator

Youth NITK
The projected revenues for this breakaway league maybe forgot to factor in that 60% of football fans became golf fans.

If everyone was on board then the money would be astronomical. The backlash though, surely, is quite damning. At the end of the day it's all about the fans.

Wouldn't be surprised if they back off and claim it was a 'big mistake which is being dealt with internally'

hobbers

I wonder if this leak was pre-planned from the "big six" to test the waters. Or if it was from someone who caught wind of the plans who disagrees and wanted to throw a spanner in.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
The projected revenues for this breakaway league maybe forgot to factor in that 60% of football fans became golf fans.

If everyone was on board then the money would be astronomical. The backlash though, surely, is quite damning. At the end of the day it's all about the fans.

Wouldn't be surprised if they back off and claim it was a 'big mistake which is being dealt with internally'
The majority of people will be on board and the money will be astronomical.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Its almost as if some cnut decided to write for athletic. My money on that cnut that keeps posting pictures in his op.