Euthanasia

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Think Oregon did this a year or two ago, but props to Vermont. Those inflicted with a terminal illness should be able to determine their end of life wishes…

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I worked with a young lad, he broke his neck playing rugby and was paralysed from the neck down. He went to Switzerland with his parents to end his life as he felt like there was nothing to live for anymore. He was a student on the building site I was working on, and he was the life and soul of the party.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...of-helping-a-son-to-kill-himself-2289710.html
After a discussion with her sisters, I euthanized my mom through multiple morphine ‘injections;’ she was virtually comatose after her throat cancer had spread to her brain & body & was on a morphine drip. She was not able to eat without intense pain for two years prior to her death, she was only able to receive sustenance through receiving Ensure through a peg tube in her stomach every night. It was no way for someone to live.

We decided as a family to do the merciful thing. My aunts are very religious, but they were the ones who approached me about euthanizing my mom. They were able to say their proper goodbyes, as did I, & my mom went to be with her mother after about two hours of morphine use.

It was the least I could have done for the most amazing woman I had ever met in my life.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
After a discussion with her sisters, I euthanized my mom through multiple morphine ‘injections;’ she was virtually comatose after her throat cancer had spread to her brain & body & was on a morphine drip. She was not able to eat without intense pain for two years prior to her death, she was only able to receive sustenance through receiving Ensure through a peg tube in her stomach every night. It was no way for someone to live.

We decided as a family to do the merciful thing. My aunts are very religious, but they were the ones who approached me about euthanizing my mom. They were able to say their proper goodbyes, as did I, & my mom went to be with her mother after about two hours of morphine use.

It was the least I could have done for the most amazing woman I had ever met in my life.
Sorry you had to go through this x

Red Rash

Damn that's rough but.you did a humane thing to help her in her time of suffering

nimic

something nice
Scout
Allowing (and helping) someone to die with dignity, on their own terms, should absolutely be legal. It's shameful that Norwegians have to go to Switzerland to do it, but at least they have that option. And usually they'll be able to afford it too, since medical debt isn't really a thing unless you're extremely unlucky. And, of course, you don't inherit debt (unless you want to), so that's another possibility.

Edit: I'll add that legalizing euthanasia is very popular in Norway, 77% support some form of it. And yet only one party actively supports it right now. It's also the worst party, so that's not great. The youth wings of many of the parties are much more progressive on that (and on most things), though, and some other parties (like my own) are exploring it.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I worked with a young lad, he broke his neck playing rugby and was paralysed from the neck down. He went to Switzerland with his parents to end his life as he felt like there was nothing to live for anymore. He was a student on the building site I was working on, and he was the life and soul of the party.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...of-helping-a-son-to-kill-himself-2289710.html
Wow this brings back memories, I grew up in Worcester and remember all this happening as I’m a similar age and a lot of my friends were rugby players and knew him

Bert_

I can't even imagine how hard it would have been be to go through that mate. You did what was best for you mom despite how difficult it must have been. Sorry for your loss.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I can't even imagine how hard it would have been be to go through that mate. You did what was best for you mom despite how difficult it must have been. Sorry for your loss.
I don't know. Obviously cal can speak to it better but in my limited experience knowing that someone's suffering will end softens the blow of the loss a bit.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Sorry you had to go through this x
Damn that's rough but.you did a humane thing to help her in her time of suffering
Thanks all. It was tough immediately after, but I took comfort knowing that it was the best outcome for Mom as she most likely only had days to live regardless. Being able to let my family have closure was perhaps the the most serene part of it. I lost my dad years later out of the blue, I just wished that I could have had the same closure with him as I did mom.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

Thanks all. It was tough immediately after, but I took comfort knowing that it was the best outcome for Mom as she most likely only had days to live regardless. Being able to let my family have closure was perhaps the the most serene part of it. I lost my dad years later out of the blue, I just wished that I could have had the same closure with him as I did mom.
You did the right thing and I'm sorry about your dad too, it's tough. DMs open mate.

Big Andy

Bloke
Wow this brings back memories, I grew up in Worcester and remember all this happening as I’m a similar age and a lot of my friends were rugby players and knew him
Yeah I didn't know him well as I wasn't full time on site, but he was in the office when I was there and used to chat to him about his rugby and stuff.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You post some dodgy sources.
Sources?! It's twitter.

Did you actually watch the video?

This weird obsession over sources and who posts what is so banal and immature.

There's a Guardian link ffs.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Sources?! It's twitter.

Did you actually watch the video?

This weird obsession over sources and who posts what is so banal and immature.

There's a Guardian link ffs.
I'm not doubting the story, I read about it the other day. It's the fella giving his opinion on it. Compared to some of the sources you use in the transgender threads, it's not so bad I guess. But still, why start with that tweet, and not a more neutral one?

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Shit source? What do you mean? World is so weird now.

You posted someone claiming the person in question is completely healthy. That’s simply not true. That makes the source (which isn’t Twitter itself, but the shitty account you’ve posted, without challenging this wrong statement in any way whatsoever) shit.
But that’s what you always do. Even more annoying that you pretend to not understand the issue.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
I get why some people are in favour of it as

1. Seeing an old person with a painful incurable disease is awful.

2. People most against it are conservatives and the reactionary religious.

But ultimately it’s state oppression dressed up as liberal humanism. Euthanasia will ended up getting used on the poorest and most vulnerable people in society.

So yeah it’s a bad idea.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine

But ultimately it’s state oppression dressed up as liberal humanism. Euthanasia will ended up getting used on the poorest and most vulnerable people in society.

So yeah it’s a bad idea.
Will it? The costs associated with it are quite a lot - somewhere between £6,500 and £15,000 is the average.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

I'm not doubting the story, I read about it the other day. It's the fella giving his opinion on it. Compared to some of the sources you use in the transgender threads, it's not so bad I guess. But still, why start with that tweet, and not a more neutral one?
Why do you think? It's the first one I saw and have seen of it so I shared it. I don't know anything about the account or the poster, I watched the video and saw a woman speaking about Euthanisia so shared it here.

Again, keep hunting for heretics mate, will work out in the long run.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You posted someone claiming the person in question is completely healthy. That’s simply not true. That makes the source (which isn’t Twitter itself, but the shitty account you’ve posted, without challenging this wrong statement in any way whatsoever) shit.
But that’s what you always do. Even more annoying that you pretend to not understand the issue.
It's not for me to extrapolate meaning and understanding of third parties or challenge a tweet on twitter for your benefit, that's your job ffs. So incredibly infantile that apparently I to challenge things shared because to you, sharing = endorsement. Again, infantile.

Your concept of "perfectly healthy" in reference to someones mental health versus physical health is a great question and we could of discussed it and understood more on others perspectives on this. It would have been interesting to hear other views. Instead you decided to just have a go at me for posting "a shit source" and not condemning stuff for your benefit.

Please, grow up.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

So yeah it’s a bad idea.
Bolded, I couldn't agree with more.

Conceptually it is fine but the level of trust needed to make this foolproof, humane, legal and moral is unachievable tbh.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

Will it? The costs associated with it are quite a lot - somewhere between £6,500 and £15,000 is the average.
Unchecked it will be used in a coercive manner and presented as a viable option, I don't forsee a state (not unless things go really wrong) rounding up people to euthanise. Moreso, "maybe it isn't worth carrying on, have you considered....."

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Forget sources, I saw the video of the 29 year old a few days ago. I am not sure it sits well with me. Feel very uncomfortable.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
My question is, why is it the responsibility of the youth in Asia for killing someone else?

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
At least in the UK there are disability benfits which far exceeded £15,000 a year. Plus euthanasia is a one off payment. Massive saving over the long term!

Although tbh I could state euthanasia happening just not for money saving reasons or as a form of class rule but as part of a liberal/progressive ideology. It would presented as a “humane” last option.

Conceptually it is fine but the level of trust needed to make this foolproof, humane, legal and moral is unachievable tbh.
Pretty much.

Unchecked it will be used in a coercive manner and presented as a viable option, I don't forsee a state (not unless things go really wrong) rounding up people to euthanise. Moreso, "maybe it isn't worth carrying on, have you considered....."

Children Of Men will be our future.

Mike Smalling

So yeah it’s a bad idea.
What's your view on people with extremely low quality of life due to physical ailments with no prospect of improvement? Without euthanasia the only real route for these people, if they truly wish to die, is suicide - if they are even physically able.

A while back I watched a documentary about such a case. Man in his 40's, paralyzed from the neck down in a work accident, in lots of pain and needing constant care, but he had all his mental faculties. He just didn't want the indignity of needing help with everything, he was tired of the pain, and he was depressed from not being able to lead an active life, which he had been used to. The angle of the documentary was that he had to travel to another country for euthanasia. I feel like people in his situation deserve a dignified way out.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

What's your view on people with extremely low quality of life due to physical ailments with no prospect of improvement? Without euthanasia the only real route for these people, if they truly wish to die, is suicide - if they are even physically able.

A while back I watched a documentary about such a case. Man in his 40's, paralyzed from the neck down in a work accident, in lots of pain and needing constant care, but he had all his mental faculties. He just didn't want the indignity of needing help with everything, he was tired of the pain, and he was depressed from not being able to lead an active life, which he had been used to. The angle of the documentary was that he had to travel to another country for euthanasia. I feel like people in his situation deserve a dignified way out.
It brutal and I'm open to the idea he could make a decision to end his life but the idea of an industry built around it feels awful.

Why are people feeling this way in increasing numbers, what is driving this unhappiness, find the route cause.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

Forget sources, I saw the video of the 29 year old a few days ago. I am not sure it sits well with me. Feel very uncomfortable.
Yes, I just saw the video and it felt unreal and bleak. The actual words and content were so antithetical to my own sensibilities, it's jarring.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
It's not for me to extrapolate meaning and understanding of third parties or challenge a tweet on twitter for your benefit, that's your job ffs. So incredibly infantile that apparently I to challenge things shared because to you, sharing = endorsement. Again, infantile.

Your concept of "perfectly healthy" in reference to someones mental health versus physical health is a great question and we could of discussed it and understood more on others perspectives on this. It would have been interesting to hear other views. Instead you decided to just have a go at me for posting "a shit source" and not condemning stuff for your benefit.

Please, grow up.
Maybe, just maybe, don’t post the worst source anyone can find on topics as sensible as this one.
And I’ll give you my views on a topic if you don’t start a discussion by posting factually wrong nonsense like you did. Mental health is part of health. Hence why it’s called that way. And if your source claims a person with chronic depression and other illnesses is perfectly healthy, it’s a horribly bad source and a disingenuous way to start a conversation.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

It brutal and I'm open to the idea he could make a decision to end his life but the idea of an industry built around it feels awful.

Why are people feeling this way in increasing numbers, what is driving this unhappiness, find the route cause.
Is the number of people feeling this way increasing, or are we as a society just more open about it?