Evan Ferguson - Top Irish Prospect

next_number_seven

It's insane that people forgot just how good he was at 16!
At 17 Rooney was already one of the best strikers in the world. His performances at the Euros at 18 cemented that.

He was often the best player on the pitch for Everton, United and England at 17 and 18. At 18 he was much better than Ronaldo and Messi. Unfortunately he didn't really improve at the same rate and by 30 he was past it. His lifestyle and body type didn't help. He could have the odd stinker though also.

Evan Ferguson is a promising player but nowhere near Rooney.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Yeah I like the look of him and for 18 he is very mature as a player and physically, but I don't see a Rooney/Haaland level talent. He does remind me a little of a young Shearer, but Shearer improved hugely in his first few years, remains to be seen if he can have that kind of trajectory.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Saw somewhere on Twitter that his great uncle was Matt Busby's last signing as United manager. Injuries meant he never played and retired early. Have no idea if it's true or not.

Edit: some searching suggests a Damien Ferguson, pictured in the second row behind Nobby Stiles and Pat Crerand here.

IRELANDUNITED

How much would he cost this summer, he’s been very impressive and looks to have bags of potential but he hasn’t totally busted onto the scene yet, he may well do so next year. Could we get in for 30/40m this summer perhaps? It he keeps improving the way he is it could be 130/140 before too long

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Evan Ferguson combines the best of Erling Haaland and Wayne Rooney and rolls them into one.

:lol:

They don't help anyone, not least themselves, with such daft statements.
I muted that account long ago, it's very dumb and over the top and claims everyone is the greatest ever

Drizzle

How much would he cost this summer, he’s been very impressive and looks to have bags of potential but he hasn’t totally busted onto the scene yet, he may well do so next year. Could we get in for 30/40m this summer perhaps? It he keeps improving the way he is it could be 130/140 before too long
He'll be minimum £70m I'm afraid, and quite possibly a fair bit more.

next_number_seven

His true value is probably about 30 or 40m but Brighton know that if he has another good season and performs for Ireland internationally his value will sky rocket, so they'll hold on to him to see what happens.

If he hits double figures this season and 15-20 next season and scores a couple for Ireland, then his value is around 70 or 80m.

On the other hand if Brighton are asset stripped in the summer, losing their manager and a few players, maybe he has a difficult second season and then his value drops to 20m.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
They have no notion of selling him unless it’s stupid money. On a long contract and with a good club to develop. Even if he doesn’t it’ll cost Brighton loads to replace him with a similar level talent. Nothing to see here unless we take a huge gamble. I’m looking forward to seeing how he does with Ireland over the next few years. If he catches fire next season break the bank for him.

lex talionis

A few posters have mentioned the player whose shirt number is 11 (not sure if mentioning his name is ok here) and it's a fair question. The only answer we can possibly give right now is that we can't assume that he'll ever play for United again. We all have our personal feelings about that, but it's up to ETH and if I had to guess what his plans for the player who currently has the number 11 shirt it would be that he wouldn't play for the club again.

As for Martial, I doubt we'd even be able to give him away on a free transfer. Yet we can't count on him playing for more than 1 or 2 matches before he picks up another injury -- meaning, you can't count on him at all.

Kane and Ferguson, amigos.

Marwood

Yes but he’s probably not ready to lead the line for a top club. It would be a massive gamble to pay the type of money needed to bring him in as an expected starter when he’s only played a handful of games. Rooney had two full seasons when we brought him in and even then he wasn’t expected to be the main man in that squad.
Yeah we'd still need someone else but we need two new strikers anyway. Be it Ferguson and another or whoever really.

marktan

Calm down princess. I saw the stat saying 599 minutes, so if it's wrong, then fair enough. And yes, it's impressive either way. The overall point about Brighton struggling to score with him in the team was just pretty odd.
Sorry - I didn't word what I meant correctly. Brighton still score quite a few (they're an attacking team) - especially since Mitoma started playing regularly as he scores quite regularly and the likes of March and Mcallister contributing too. I basically meant to say whenever any of their strikers play, they all struggle for goals. Undav, Ferguson, Welbeck - between them they have 5 goals in about 40 total league appearances this season.

You get the impression that Brighton with a clinical striker like say Toney or even Mitrovic would have a strong hold on the top 4, unfortunately for them they'll probably lose Mcallister and/or Caceido in the summer so even if they do get someone in they'll see some regression regardless.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yeah we'd still need someone else but we need two new strikers anyway. Be it Ferguson and another or whoever really.
At least. As well as replacing Ronaldo/Cavani/Greenwood there’s also a distinct lack of quality in terms of strikers coming up through the ranks. We should definitely be on the look out for top class strikers of Ferguson’s age even if we don’t expect them to be in the first team squad next weekend.

Robbie Boy

Sorry - I didn't word what I meant correctly. Brighton still score quite a few (they're an attacking team) - especially since Mitoma started playing regularly as he scores quite regularly and the likes of March and Mcallister contributing too. I basically meant to say whenever any of their strikers play, they all struggle for goals. Undav, Ferguson, Welbeck - between them they have 5 goals in about 40 total league appearances this season.

You get the impression that Brighton with a clinical striker like say Toney or even Mitrovic would have a strong hold on the top 4, unfortunately for them they'll probably lose Mcallister and/or Caceido in the summer so even if they do get someone in they'll see some regression regardless.
Ah ok, yes I totally agree with this. Since they've come into the PL, they've struggled to find a consistent No.9.

Marwood

They have no notion of selling him unless it’s stupid money. On a long contract and with a good club to develop. Even if he doesn’t it’ll cost Brighton loads to replace him with a similar level talent. Nothing to see here unless we take a huge gamble. I’m looking forward to seeing how he does with Ireland over the next few years. If he catches fire next season break the bank for him.
The evidence suggests that isn't the case. They lose a player for big money, they replace him on the cheap with excellent scouting.

Oranges038

Is probably going to start for Ireland on Monday.

Will add another 50m to the price tag.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Saw somewhere on Twitter that his great uncle was Matt Busby's last signing as United manager. Injuries meant he never played and retired early. Have no idea if it's true or not.

Edit: some searching suggests a Damien Ferguson, pictured in the second row behind Nobby Stiles and Pat Crerand here.

I think he owns a barber shop in Dublin. I read about him in an issue of United we Stand fanzine.

lex talionis

Actually think its up to the club and he would have very little say in it. Based on his history, ETH woudl most likely go along with club decision, even if its green light.
Fair point, but I suspect the manager would have some say in this matter.

Erik the Red

A few posters have mentioned the player whose shirt number is 11 (not sure if mentioning his name is ok here) and it's a fair question. The only answer we can possibly give right now is that we can't assume that he'll ever play for United again. We all have our personal feelings about that, but it's up to ETH and if I had to guess what his plans for the player who currently has the number 11 shirt it would be that he wouldn't play for the club again.

As for Martial, I doubt we'd even be able to give him away on a free transfer. Yet we can't count on him playing for more than 1 or 2 matches before he picks up another injury -- meaning, you can't count on him at all.

Kane and Ferguson, amigos.
If he comes back, I would expect #11 to be competing with Antony for the right wing slot, with Rashford or Garnacho on the left and Bruno / Sancho through the middle. We would still need two number 9's, with my preferences being any two out of Kane, Osimhen, Sesko and Ferguson (although the latter two may be a bit young to not have a more experienced colleague alongside them).

frostbite

I'd actually like to see us pick up both Kane and Ferguson this summer. Kane has 2-3 seasons max at this level, although he'll undoubtedly want a 4 year contract but in the end will have to settle for a 3 year contract.

Ferguson is only 18 years old. The timing of the transition from Kane to Ferguson could not be more perfect.
If we had both, Ferguson would barely play. He'd have to be loaned.

We have a great team right now, we are third, we'd be higher if we had a proper striker. We need the finished product, a striker who can contribute a lot of goals right away, and help us compete for PL and CL next year, not five years from now. We need Kane.

SAFMUTD

We should sign him. We always say that why don't we sign players before they cost 70M+. This is our chance, the boy is a real talent.

Maybe not ready to be starting for us yet but we need 2 new strikers for the summer. One can be him.

lex talionis

If we had both, Ferguson would barely play. He'd have to be loaned.

We have a great team right now, we are third, we'd be higher if we had a proper striker. We need the finished product, a striker who can contribute a lot of goals right away, and help us compete for PL and CL next year, not five years from now. We need Kane.
I'm not so sure about that. Kane is at the age now where his minutes will have to start getting managed. We'll play 55+ games across four competitions. I wouldn't say Kane is injury-prone but none of us would be shocked if Kane, at the age of 31, misses a month an ankle problem here and a month with a muscle problem there -- no chance does he play twice a week for three months at a time. We'll need a decent backup striker, and with Ferguson at the age of 19 next season he's not exactly in a position to demand regular starting role but will be in an environment where he'll learn from one of the world's greatest strikers and from one of the world's greatest managers.

lex talionis

If he comes back, I would expect #11 to be competing with Antony for the right wing slot, with Rashford or Garnacho on the left and Bruno / Sancho through the middle. We would still need two number 9's, with my preferences being any two out of Kane, Osimhen, Sesko and Ferguson (although the latter two may be a bit young to not have a more experienced colleague alongside them).
We're not getting any two of Kane, Osimhen and Sesko. It would be one of those three and then maybe (hopefully) Ferguson.

frostbite

I'm not so sure about that. Kane is at the age now where his minutes will have to start getting managed. We'll play 55+ games across four competitions. I wouldn't say Kane is injury-prone but none of us would be shocked if Kane, at the age of 31, misses a month an ankle problem here and a month with a muscle problem there -- no chance does he play twice a week for three months at a time. We'll need a decent backup striker, and with Ferguson at the age of 19 next season he's not exactly in a position to demand regular starting role but will be in an environment where he'll learn from one of the world's greatest strikers and from one of the world's greatest managers.
Yes, this sounds reasonable, I agree.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Evan Ferguson combines the best of Erling Haaland and Wayne Rooney and rolls them into one.

:lol:

They don't help anyone, not least themselves, with such daft statements.
He's going to dominate for decades to come. Plural.

Drizzle

We'll need a decent backup striker, and with Ferguson at the age of 19 next season he's not exactly in a position to demand regular starting role but will be in an environment where he'll learn from one of the world's greatest strikers and from one of the world's greatest managers.
I really think that ship has sailed. Ferguson will not be going anywhere to be a backup striker for 3 or 4 years, regardless of his age.

Also who pays £70m+ for a backup striker anyway?

Red00012

I haven’t seen this much hype about an Irish player since Aaron Connolly:wenger:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I really think that ship has sailed. Ferguson will not be going anywhere to be a backup striker for 3 or 4 years, regardless of his age.

Also who pays £70m+ for a backup striker anyway?
Agreed, I think people are getting a bit overly giddy due to Qatar.

next_number_seven

We're not getting any two of Kane, Osimhen and Sesko. It would be one of those three and then maybe (hopefully) Ferguson.
I don't think ETH fancies Kane or Osimhen. Kanes pressing is poor, and Osimhens link up play is poor.

We'll be signing someone else.

Ferguson is too risky for how much he'd cost.