Evan Ferguson

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaafi

makes total sense to compare them

he’s 18, banging in goals in the PL and built like a brick shit house
Lukaku was banging in goals in PL for West Brom at 19 and also built like a tank. I mean, Rooney was a generational talent. They can't be compared.

Bojan Djordjic

Lukaku was banging in goals in PL for West Brom at 19 and also built like a tank. I mean, Rooney was a generational talent. They can't be compared.
Only four teenagers have ever scored a premier league hattrick (Owen, Fowler and Chris Bart Williams). We can say even at this stage that Ferguson's achievements put him in very rare company. After four match days, he's two goals away from matching his entire league tally from last year. His underlyings are just as good as his actual output so it doesn't look like he'll be a Franny Jeffers if he can keep healthy.

RedStarUnited

Jesus Christ, what I meant by saying he is pretty much British was that he will be priced similarly to British players and that will add to his value.

He’s as British as Kylian Mbappe mate.
Mbappes got a English mother?
Well you can shove your "pretty much" right up your hole
Wow okay.

You should maybe study some history, or indeed some current affairs/geography.
Maybe you need to practice what you preach. I said “pretty much” for a reason. He is literally half British by parenthood.

zaafi

They can be compared, but their qualities are not the same. Rooney was already a much better player than Ferguson and had a skill set that Ferguson does not have. Scoring a hattrick where one of the goals was a deflection does not mean he is almost as good.

supermao

He somewhat reminds me of Alan Shearer at Southampton, would not mind him at United but with current owners there's no way there will be funds for the pricetag Brighton will slap on him.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Good player, can’t see us signing him under the Glazers and FFP so really no point bumping this thread everytime he has a good game.

Marwood

makes total sense to compare them

he’s 18, banging in goals in the PL and built like a brick shit house
Because one is a pure striker, the other was a player who could do everything.

I think Ferguson looks a brillaint No.9 in the making but Rooney at 18 was different gravy.

Hammondo

He somewhat reminds me of Alan Shearer at Southampton, would not mind him at United but with current owners there's no way there will be funds for the pricetag Brighton will slap on him.
I think this is the most accurate comparison tbh.

Rawls

You'll never find, that microfilm of mine
4-4-2 with this guy and Hojlund in the future :drool:

...seriously, can either of them play another role besides as a 9?
De Zerbi has said that he's asking Ferguson to develop his #10 skills (Should like deep areas) and Hojlund seems like a channel-runner (Should like wide areas) so in theory, they could co-exist

Marwood

The age is irrelevant, what was stated was a once in a lifetime talent, which objectively he was not close.
I know what you mean but in your lifetime, have you before or since seen a 17 year old better than Rooney?

In my lifetime I'd say Messi. Can't think of anyone else.

Hammondo

I know what you mean but in your lifetime, have you before or since seen a 17 year old as good as Rooney?
Aside from Ronaldo and Messi? Off the top of my head, no. Though the amount of physically developed players at 17 like Rooney, is very very low.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Yes of course, by definition talent is not age reliant.
Rooney is still the most talented teenage footballer I’ve seen. Luis Ronaldo is the only one I can think of who compares but I didn’t see enough of him. For all his brilliance he never quite lived up to that talent in his career but it’s pretty clear what posters are saying here.

Marwood

Aside from Ronaldo and Messi? Off the top of my head, no. Though the amount of physically developed players at 17 like Rooney, is very very low.
Well exactly. That was part of his talent.

Ronaldo wasn't as good at 17/18. Nowhere near as mature.

I don't think anybody is saying Rooney had a once in a lifetime career. Just that his natutal talent was extremely rare.

Hammondo

Rooney is still the most talented teenage footballer I’ve seen. Luis Ronaldo is the only one I can think of who compares but I didn’t see enough of him. For all his brilliance he never quite lived up to that talent in his career but it’s pretty clear what posters are saying here.
As I've say, age is irrelevant for talent by definition. Rooney was physically developed far more than other 17 year olds, which is why he started so high up, but was surpassed m

Hammondo

Well exactly. That was part of his talent.

Ronaldo wasn't as good at 17. Nowhere near as mature.

I don't think anybody is saying Rooney had a once in a lifetime career. Just that his natutal talent was extremely rare.
Being physically developed early is not a part of being more talented, it just means earlier physical development. He didn't develop as much later on. That is why he was not at the top of the players of his generation.

Tarrou

They can be compared, but their qualities are not the same. Rooney was already a much better player than Ferguson and had a skill set that Ferguson does not have. Scoring a hattrick where one of the goals was a deflection does not mean he is almost as good.
of course it doesn’t.. it’s inevitable people will compare him to Rooney though given his physicality and maturity for his age

i see some similar qualities there but he is more like Kane for me

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
As I've say, age is irrelevant for talent by definition. Rooney was physically developed far more than other 17 year olds, which is why he started so high up, but was surpassed m
There’s a huge difference between having natural talent and fulfilling that talent. I don’t know why you’re being so obtuse.

Marwood

Being physically developed early is not a part of being more talented, it just means earlier physical development. He didn't develop as much later on. That is why he was not at the top of the players of his generation.
It's a physical sport, so of course him being freakish strong and quick at 17 is a part of his talent. He didn't look after himself but that's a different story.

But on top of that his maturity was way beyond his years. Or does that not count just because it developed early?

Either way, Ferguson, awesome as he's going to be(as long as he stays trim), isn't comparable to Rooney.

Hammondo

There’s a huge difference between having natural talent and fulfilling that talent. I don’t know why you’re being so obtuse.
Ah well then your position has the difficult task. You are trying to say he had a higher talent which is unknown, that he didn't reach. That is a difficult position, as by it's nature you have feck all to go on.

I'm being obtuse because it's a British position to take, strong, athletic younger, top talent. It becomes a meme, and I hate the term but it's what comes to mind. Rooney was very good, but not close to a once in a generation talent. There were quite a few Barcelona players more talented/better.

Hammondo

It's a physical sport, so of course him being freakish strong and quick at 17 is a part of his talent. He didn't look after himself but that's a different story.

But on top of that his maturity was way beyond his years. Or does that not count just because it developed early?

Either way, Ferguson, awesome as he's going to be(as long as he stays trim), isn't comparable to Rooney.
It just means he developed earlier, rather than more. He didn't continue that development because he had already done that physical development.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
I think this is the most accurate comparison tbh.
He’s more like a Kane-Shearer hybrid for me, but more advanced or accomplished than both were at the same age…particularly Kane.

Rawls

You'll never find, that microfilm of mine
Somewhat outlandish but if we sold both Casemiro and Varane to Saudi Arabian clubs next summer, then that would give us more amm to spend big. And might be kicking the hornet's nest here a little but if a Saudi club offered us £100M+ for Bruno, would it not be wise for us in the long-term to accept that and use the funds to pay £150M for Ferguson? Don't see it happening but I think it *could* make sense.

Also, I think there's a good chance that strike partnerships come back in vogue. And for those who say they're too similar, Ferguson looks the more comfortable of the two when dropping deep whereas Hojlund looks quicker and looks like more of a home-run threat as a channel runner. They could co-exist in *some* matches. And for those who say they'd block each other's development; Ferguson will likely not be an ever-present this season, Brighton will probably manage his appearanes. Varane was complaining recently about there being too many matches; wouldn't having greater depth in the form of two young strikers be the best way to address this? And finally, if both are hits, then you just sell the lesser one (Like Real did with Benzema and Higuain). People can worry about the transfer fee all they want; when a transfer deal is done, that fee ain't coming back and there's no point obsessing over a sunk cost.

Irwin99

De Zerbi has said that he's asking Ferguson to develop his #10 skills (Should like deep areas) and Hojlund seems like a channel-runner (Should like wide areas) so in theory, they could co-exist
I hope so. Both young strikers who are United fans and have world class potential- fit 'em in the team somehow :drool:

Red_toad

Who said Rooney and Chicarito are similar. You know the meaning of the word "or". Didn't ETH use different type of players through the middle at Ajax. He used Haller, Tadic, Brobbey upfront. If you already have a Hojlund it makes sense to bring in someone who is a bit different to give you different tactical options don't you think?
Sorry your poor diction caused me to think you were comparing them to Haller & now Hojlund. Which neither are. But neither were good at holding the ball up and that’s his preferred option.

Status
Not open for further replies.