Evan Ferguson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bojan Djordjic

I will gladly take any striker that can score 20+ very average or even shitty goals for us, per season. It will do us wonders, and I would take that over 2-3 amazing goals that our current senior striker, Martial may or may not manage per season.
A great striker of goals over a striker of great goals any day.

croadyman

We’ve just bought Hojlund why would he in a for another under 21 striker and basically tell Hojlund we’re done with him? It’s not happening and that’s not even discussing the whole financial side of it . A 2nd back up striker is needed alright .
Know they aren't glamorous options but maybe should get Leonardo/Orban if still on the market

wolvored

If Hojlund lives up to expectations we won't be in for Evan. A shame we can't have both...or can we?
Evan will be at least valued by Brighton around £120 mill I bet, and thats too much money even if we have better owners. Besides that Rasmus, is only 2 years older and unless he stinks the place up, will be the main striker and would Evan come then? We do need a backup striker to Rasmus and ideally he is around the same age as Evan, so Rasmus ideally has the seniority as well, but surely a £50-60 mill price for a backup striker is enough?

Bwuk

Evan will be at least valued by Brighton around £120 mill I bet, and thats too much money even if we have better owners. Besides that Rasmus, is only 2 years older and unless he stinks the place up, will be the main striker and would Evan come then? We do need a backup striker to Rasmus and ideally he is around the same age as Evan, so Rasmus ideally has the seniority as well, but surely a £50-60 mill price for a backup striker is enough?
They could play together.

wolvored

They could play together.
Who does he drop then? Would he drop his captain Bruno or Rashford to accomodate? He could drop Antony and this may end up out of his hands anyway, but if hes cleared would TH drop a player he spunked £86 mill on?.
Another option would be a change of formation. Would we revert to 4-4-2 to play him? That would also mean dropping Bruno, as he isnt disciplined enough to be a pure BTB CM.

poleglass red

no way we're spunking that much on another striker next season. As great a player as he is, we need a new centre half and central midfielder, I'd say any big fees we will look to pay will go on those postitions.

lex talionis

Realistically, I can't see Hojlund and Ferguson ever being in the same squad for what I think are fairly obvious reasons. Clubs just don't go with 2 top shelf striker these days, but I have no doubt that at some point over the next 30-40 years that we'll see a top club or national team field a starting XI with two top levels strikers in a 442 or some variation thereof.

But if Hojlund becomes the next Antony -- and we should each pray and offer animal sacrifice (which today is called a barbecue) to the gods does not happen -- then perhaps Ferguson will be on the shopping list in a few seasons.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I don’t think he’ll gain much speed, if any. Just before covid we had a retired sprinter come in and work with the youths for a few sessions, mainly body shape and motions while in movement. After a certain point and age the gains become fairly tiny. It’s something they’ll have been doing with Ferguson plenty. With some teens there might be a question of growing into their frame, but not so much with this guy, he’s already fairly comfortable pinning PL defenders.

You can tell he’s been really well coached, despite his size his agility in attacking areas, especially when receiving the ball, is excellent. The speed in which he gets his shots off is top notch. He can also press up against the defender and lay it off, consistently finding his man. Doesn’t look like much, but it’s very hard to do in those crowded central areas. When you add in that he’s comfortable dropping deep as well as making runs in behind (with clever movement too) he’s a really well rounded young talent.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
no way we're spunking that much on another striker next season. As great a player as he is, we need a new centre half and central midfielder, I'd say any big fees we will look to pay will go on those postitions.
We just bought Mount and Amrabat, what's to say another central midfielder we buy ends up rubbish then we have to buy one the season after.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
We just bought Mount and Amrabat, what's to say another central midfielder we buy ends up rubbish then we have to buy one the season after.
You could use the same logic to any player we buy, and the same applies to every other team out there

LuckyScout78

A option is buy him in January and loan him back to Brighton for rest of the season.

Martial shall hit the top level again. If not. Ferguson can be a alternative option upfront

And with RW situations. I would drop the wingers if i was Ten Hag to play 4312 with 2 CF upfront and adding Amrabat or Eriksen in the 3 cm midfield. It will gain United as a team more.

Drop your weakness and use the best players at the same time on the pitch.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
You could use the same logic to any player we buy, and the same applies to every other team out there
Alright then, so why do we need another centre mid next summer? Casemiro, Amrabat, Bruno, Mount, Eriksen, McTominay. We already have 6 with most either not performing or not featured yet this season, so why do we need to add another to that list, especially when we've just signed 2.

Red00012

Ferguson is a special talent. This club should be all over him.
And we shouldn't be limited to only using one striker. We could go with 4-3-3 or some other formation that allows both to play.
Not saying they are similar players, but like Haaland and Alvarez?
City have a bottomless pit we don’t

Crimson King

And we shouldn't be limited to only using one striker. We could go with 4-3-3 or some other formation that allows both to play.
Alvarez cost relative peanuts though. We definitely need another striker, but should be looking at somebody from the South American leagues like that for about £20m. Brighton will want north of £100m for Ferguson if he continues to impress as he has already.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
There’s literally no reason to put in a bid for him in January, and then loan him back. Brighton would be asking for far over a 100m, it’d be madness to pay that, and then on top of that loan him back.

Even without the loan part it’s still crazy. Brighton aren’t going to sell unless it’s a crazy amount, even if he has a very good season his price won’t rise a massive amount, it’s already at a super high level.

poleglass red

I'm talking about Casemiro's role, Mount certainly doesn't play that position. Amrabat is on loan, let's see how he gets on first. We saw last season that our reliance on one proper defensive midfielder backfired when Casemiro got injured or his form dipped. I also referenced centre half as another priority. We do need another striker as back up, but we aren't spending 100 million plus on one.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Alright then, so why do we need another centre mid next summer? Casemiro, Amrabat, Bruno, Mount, Eriksen, McTominay. We already have 6 with most either not performing or not featured yet this season, so why do we need to add another to that list, especially when we've just signed 2.
I didn't say we need to sign another

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Alvarez cost relative peanuts though. We definitely need another striker, but should be looking at somebody from the South American leagues like that for about £20m. Brighton will want north of £100m for Ferguson if he continues to impress as he has already.
The days of signing relatively unknown players from South America are pretty much over, Brexit has basically killed that because the dual nationality thing is gone now, Brazilian's with Portuguese passports or Argentinian's with Spanish and so one no longer have an automatic right to play in the UK, by the time the meet the visa criteria they won't be unknown and cheap

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
How many multi-window, multi-club, multi-million transfer sagas do Brighton have to be involved in before people stop suggesting 'buy now and loan til the end of the season'?

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
The days of signing relatively unknown players from South America are pretty much over, Brexit has basically killed that because the dual nationality thing is gone now, Brazilian's with Portuguese passports or Argentinian's with Spanish and so one no longer have an automatic right to play in the UK, by the time the meet the visa criteria they won't be unknown and cheap
Brexit has actually made it easier to sign players from the likes of Brazil, Argentina and Mexico directly. One positive from the shitshow.

Tarrou

How many multi-window, multi-club, multi-million transfer sagas do Brighton have to be involved in before people stop suggesting 'buy now and loan til the end of the season'?
we also could loan them some of our crap youngsters to sweeten the deal

they’ll chomping at the bit to send us Ferguson if they can get the likes of Pellestri on loan

Red00012

we also could loan them some of our crap youngsters to sweeten the deal

they’ll chomping at the bit to send us Ferguson if they can get the likes of Pellestri on loan
:lol: :lol:
There’s far too many posters on here playing Football Manager.

Redcy

You can’t play 4-3-1-2 with strikers like hojlund and Ferguson. Madrid kind of play this way when they play Vinicius as he isn’t a central striker, and the other guy can go wide too. The only other option would be to sell hojlund and buy Ferguson. Which only really works if Rasmus has been playing well. In which case why do you sell him?

aeh1991

I don't get the general view that Hojlund must be the undisputed CF for us. He is still new here and we have no clue how he will do. A fair competition between him and another CF would make sense. I just think that Evan Ferguson would cost too much although I would love to see him here. But between him, Benjamin Sesko, Victor Boniface and Gift Orban there are finally a few exciting CF options.

Kellyiom

I don’t think he’ll gain much speed, if any. Just before covid we had a retired sprinter come in and work with the youths for a few sessions, mainly body shape and motions while in movement. After a certain point and age the gains become fairly tiny. It’s something they’ll have been doing with Ferguson plenty. With some teens there might be a question of growing into their frame, but not so much with this guy, he’s already fairly comfortable pinning PL defenders.

You can tell he’s been really well coached, despite his size his agility in attacking areas, especially when receiving the ball, is excellent. The speed in which he gets his shots off is top notch. He can also press up against the defender and lay it off, consistently finding his man. Doesn’t look like much, but it’s very hard to do in those crowded central areas. When you add in that he’s comfortable dropping deep as well as making runs in behind (with clever movement too) he’s a really well rounded young talent.
I'm with @NewGlory about us buying a top striker, basically in the 20/20 or 30/10 goals and assists range, with that consistency. It would be great to point the team in the right direction as it's been a problem for a while, we've a few threads on where are our goals coming from?

I'm a RoI fan as well but normally I hate these ridiculous fees but I feel we have no choice. We don't have any money either though so that's an issue!

Never make it easy for us do they?

Needham

Not sure about this guy. Let's wait until he's got 200 goals for other teams and buy him past his peak.

Bwuk

You can’t play 4-3-1-2 with strikers like hojlund and Ferguson. Madrid kind of play this way when they play Vinicius as he isn’t a central striker, and the other guy can go wide too. The only other option would be to sell hojlund and buy Ferguson. Which only really works if Rasmus has been playing well. In which case why do you sell him?
Why do we need to sell anyone?

They could play together in a two striker formation.

One could start, either on bench.

Ferguson could likely play in behind Hojlund slightly. I wouldn't be hugely surprised if Hojlund could drift in from the right either.

City have 2 top class strikers in Alvarez and Haaland. I bet they don't regret that.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
I rate both but don’t think they can play together. Neither has anything like the skill set needed to play on the wing. It would be silly to change tactics to a two striker system just to buy a player and even if United did so they don’t complement each other very well. Both are big physical 9s who should be in the box looking to get on the end of chances, neither is a creative second striker type who will drop between the lines, receive, dribble, create, etc.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Not sure about this guy. Let's wait until he's got 200 goals for other teams and buy him past his peak.
:lol:

You, sir, just qualified to join United's recruitement :)

glasgow 21

Under current regime we have no chance whatsoever of signing this player.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Signing players like him for £100m+ is exactly how you DON'T try to build a long term successful team.

Crimson King

Mate, that's absolute rubbish. What do you call Alvarez to City then? Brighton paid about £5m for Caicedo. Brexit has actually made it easier to sign (relatively) unknown South Americans. A lot of them have release clauses as well.

We've already been linked with a move for Marcos Leonardo in January.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Well it’s possible that the club think Hojlund is as well given we’ve spent so much on him. I don’t think there’s anyone who will suggest that the club needs to have just one CF but two young ones costing a total of 180m plus seems daft for a team with many weaknesses

Status
Not open for further replies.