g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Even Rooney is not safe from being dropped - Mourinho

carlosp

Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho has revealed even captain Wayne Rooney is not safe from his ruthless team selection.

United won 1-0 away at Hull on Saturday thanks to an injury-time goal from teenage striker Marcus Rashford . Until providing the cross that made the goal in the 92nd minute, Rooney had produced a subdued display, the like of which Mourinho is unlikely to tolerate many more times.

"I can take him [Rooney] out. It’s no problem for me to take him out, no problem for him to be out,” Mourinho told the Manchester Evening Newsafter the match.

“He was like the team. The first half he was OK but the team was a little bit slow in the transitions.

“The team wasn’t playing with the intensity that we need and he was part of it. In the second half when the team brought a different gear, he did the same.”

Rooney received good news on Sunday evening, as new England manager Sam Allardyce confirmed he would remain as England captain. The national team plays Slovakia on Sunday in its first qualifying fixture for the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia.
http://europe.newsweek.com/wayne-rooney-jose-mourinho-manchester-united-sport-494344

wr8_utd

:'(
But isn't he contractually bound to play every single minute of every single game? :confused:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
And that's how it should be. Not "my captan shall always play/privileges" bollocks.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Don't get your hopes, cause Mourinho just said he could take him out (during a game), not that he could not put him in (as a starter).

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Something something words something actions.

Camilo

Mourinho talks rubbish all the time. Believe it when you see it. Rooney will be playing in midfield and starting every game by January!

stepic

What 'ruthless team selection'? He's pretty much played the same team every game so far.

Eddy_JukeZ

Mourinho has somewhat thrown sly digs at Rooney since he's arrived.

Might be trying to ease him out of the team.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Why Rooney thinks he's even going to get to the next World Cup is beyond me. He'll be well out of it by then and will be stiking out the England team in two years time. I'm not won over by his odd goals and assists here and there in matches either. They're just prolonging the inevitable. I really hope Jose will do the right thing when necessary. He shouldn't be a guaranteed starter.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
What 'ruthless team selection'? He's pretty much played the same team every game so far.
Yeah but let's be honest, he's been pretty crap bar the 5 minutes when he's got a goal or assist. And if people are going to use that to justify his selection, if we had someone performing for the other 85 minutes, we would probably have more emphatic victories.

He's not going to get a goal or assist every game and when his under par performances are apparent, then Jose will have to implement his ruthless team selection.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Well seems like the Cafe are going to spend an entire day wanking themselves to death over this bit of news.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
I think once Mkhi gets settled in he'll easily take Rooney's place. That, or we'll play Rashford in a different formation.

CS@SG

Yeah, likely Rooney be dropped from cup and Europa matches?

Jaybomb

Right now he should be in the team, but as soon as his form drops, he should be replaced like everyone else.

Gopher Brown

Scoring goals is the most difficult thing in football. We've scored 6 in the league, he's got one and made two more, so so far he's doing well. It won't last, but as it stands, there's no reason to drop him.

Walters_19_MuFc

Everyone is so desperate to see Rooney dropped. It's constantly a talking point, and Mourinho has said what every manager should say. If he doesn't perform, or is not contributing to the team, he will be taken out, and the same applies for every player in the team.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Right now he should be in the team, but as soon as his form drops, he should be replaced like everyone else.
Well if Rooney's form drop from what it is right now than I don't know what we'll be subjected to. It's horrifying just thinking about it.

surf

Mourinho wants him to play well but will prefer others if he doesn't. Rooney's declining physical powers will mean he isn't going to be able to play so many games a season as a striker anyway.
Rooney was banking on dropping back to midfield to prolong his first team career. First what Mourinho said about Rooney in midfield, then signing Pogba, then playing a 2 man midfield all mean he has a challenge to stay in the first team.

Mr Smith

I might be reading too much into it, but this might be Mou softening the ground ahead of dropping him for the Manchester derby. I know he has a goal and two assists in three league games, but Mourinho will know we can't have him losing the ball in deep positions against City; we won't see a great deal of the ball so we'll have to make use of it when we get it. Watch this space I guess.

Jaybomb

Well if Rooney's form drop from what it is right now than I don't know what we'll be subjected to. It's horrifying just thinking about it.
I don't want Rooney in the team as much as the next guy but his stats this season have warranted his place in the Starting 11 for now. There's no way Jose will drop him and risk the media backlash. Maybe if he's failing to produce the numbers like he was from August-January last season.

manunited1919

He will be playing at the level of second or third division teams. No offense meant to those teams.

surf

I don't want Rooney in the team as much as the next guy but his stats this season have warranted his place in the Starting 11 for now. There's no way Jose will drop him and risk the media backlash. Maybe if he's failing to produce the numbers like he was from August-January last season.
The only risk of a media backlash is the risk of poor results. A winning manager has licence to pick more or less whatever team he likes.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Have you ever thought what would Mhki stats be had he played our 3 opening games in that 10 role? I mean everyone is jizzing their pants over a goal and 2 assists(out of form and winger Martial has managed 2 assists too, so..) and here I'm seating thinking what could have been.

Anyways, I'm well aware why Mou wouldn't drop Rooney(and I'm not fooling myself and thinking it's because of his performances) so I'm all good and a bit patient. I'm looking forward to the Europa, FA cup and other tournament starting so we can get the likes of Mhki playing plenty of football and people see what a top 10 can do when given the chance to play, not just few cameos here and there, then people will start understanding how tame their perception of good performances(especially for an AM) is.

RedPnutz

As I wrote in the Rooney thread, Mourinho's plotting is well underway.

Good.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
And that's how it should be. Not "my captan shall always play/privileges" bollocks.
Indeed.
It's the equivalent of a manager saying to all his employees that a particular employee named Dave, is untouchable. He can be rude, obnoxious, lazy and counter productive....but he will never receive any action against him.
Poor management.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I've seen this quote thrown around all the time, but did LVG actually say it? Not that I don't believe you, I just genuinely don't remember ever hearing it from him.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
But isn't he contractually bound to play every single minute of every single game? :confused:
José obviously has an agenda. Maybe José Mourinho should ask José Mourinho why world-class managers like José Mourinho continue to select Rooney. Or something.