Everton 2022/23 | Dyche Dyche baby

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He had Burnley in the Premier League for 7 seasons with a transfer spend over ten years not much more than Forest have spent in one season to maybe go down again and had Burnley in the Europa League. Just because his football is shit doesn’t mean he isn’t an obviously good manager.
He had a good start but he’s done a lot of things since the Spurs game which make me question his management a lot.

acnumber9

He had a good start but he’s done a lot of things since the Spurs game which make me question his management a lot.
I don’t think it’s possible to keep a club like Burnley in the Premier League for that long through sheer luck. He’s obviously a good manager with football that is far from pleasing on the eye. He’s probably not the guy for Everton long term but I’d bet he’d have as good a chance at any at getting you back up if the worst should happen.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I don’t think it’s possible to keep a club like Burnley in the Premier League for that long through sheer luck. He’s obviously a good manager with football that is far from pleasing on the eye. He’s probably not the guy for Everton long term but I’d bet he’d have as good a chance at any at getting you back up if the worst should happen.
I don’t think we have played bad stuff at times under him though when he’s been here. Ironically it’s the defence that has been an issue when he’s supposedly a defensive mastermind. Our xG against is worse than it was under Lampard with Dyche. He’s too loyal and sticks to someone like Michael Keane who is dogshit. I don’t think he’s a bad manager but I do think some of the worries I had about him before he came in are starting to hold true. I think there are much better options out there for clubs to take but unfortunately we aren’t in the position to take them.

acnumber9

I don’t think we have played bad stuff at times under him though when he’s been here. Ironically it’s the defence that has been an issue when he’s supposedly a defensive mastermind. Our xG against is worse than it was under Lampard with Dyche. He’s too loyal and sticks to someone like Michael Keane who is dogshit. I don’t think he’s a bad manager but I do think some of the worries I had about him before he came in are starting to hold true. I think there are much better options out there for clubs to take but unfortunately we aren’t in the position to take them.
It’s a fair point with regards the defending. Against United he played a suicidal high line. It was a bizarre choice against a team that thrives with space in behind.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Nathan Patterson handled Mitoma better than most right backs in the league have.

What a mature performance for a young player more associated with attacking from fullback.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
They'll have a Palace like season next year. No frills getting to mid 40s which in Goodison final season is more than fine given the internal state the club is in.

World of difference to how they attack when Calvert Lewin is fit so they need to find a younger version from somewhere rather than just gambling on his fitness.

Wonder if Conor Gallagher would consider joining them now? Perhaps he'll wait for someone higher in the league but him running onto knockdowns and quick transitions like Doucoure is would suit him very much and probably have him posting similar figures like at Palace.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
They'll have a Palace like season next year. No frills getting to mid 40s which in Goodison final season is more than fine given the internal state the club is in.

World of difference to how they attack when Calvert Lewin is fit so they need to find a younger version from somewhere rather than just gambling on his fitness.

Wonder if Conor Gallagher would consider joining them now? Perhaps he'll wait for someone higher in the league but him running onto knockdowns and quick transitions like Doucoure is would suit him very much and probably have him posting similar figures like at Palace.
McTominay would be good in that sort of role too. I think they’re also a bit too in tatters for either to consider (assuming they actually stay up). Not sure what their financial situation is either to pay the 30m+ both sides would be looking for!

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Nathan Patterson handled Mitoma better than most right backs in the league have.

What a mature performance for a young player more associated with attacking from fullback.
He can really be an excellent player if managed well.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I think I was out for a piss when Dwight McNeil turned into prime Gareth Bale, but it seems to be helping them a bit.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
McTominay would be good in that sort of role too. I think they’re also a bit too in tatters for either to consider (assuming they actually stay up). Not sure what their financial situation is either to pay the 30m+ both sides would be looking for!
They seemingly had a bid rejected for Gallagher in January of that amount. Also signed Onana for 30m so there are ways to get around FFP and still sign players for decent money.

Think McTominay's name keeps getting linked to Newcastle so he'll go there if they make CL.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Just raising their hopes before it ends in tears.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Getting that win before a game against City is a massive result as they've earned themselves a free loss with results quite possible (not probable) in the last two games.

Still think Leeds and Leicester look buried for vastly different reasons of course, so that should save Everton and the rest.

Also can't imagine the PL without Everton, so it's for the best.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Genuinely think if we hadn’t been playing Keane and had Mina in we would have won one or two more and been safe by now.

AndyMUFC

That was some win for them. One more win and that’ll be enough to escape again and they might not even need that with the fixtures Leicester and Leeds have.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The result that will save them. Forest will send Southampton down, then it’s out of them, Leeds and Leicester

BorisManUtd

Fantastic win for them and big step towards safety though they're far from safe yet. But I'm cheering on Everton to stay up anyways, big club with 70 consecutive season in first division or something like that, will be good to see that record continue.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
You would've been fine if you didn't feck around with Lampard for so long TBF
While true, If Dyche keeps us up he will have done amazingly well but he has made some pretty shit decisions recently aside from this game.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Level of praise for Dyche this year compared to Lampard last year on the Caf?
Regardless of managerial ability Everton are consistently down in bottom 6 of the league now because of boardroom ineptitude. They've made some staggering decisions in last 18 months so Moshiri will have got away with this big time for second season running if they scrape safety on final day.

Dyche is ideal manager though to keep them 11-14th with minimum fuss next season at least before their ground move. Leicester and Leeds will be kicking themselves for not approaching him during the World cup as he'd have kept both up comfortably. Think Leeds sacked Marsch a week after he went in at Everton.

Sea-Cow

How has James Garner been performing? It looks like he has finally gotten some minutes recently.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
How has James Garner been performing? It looks like he has finally gotten some minutes recently.
I like him. Injuries held him back but now injuries to others has led to a run in the team and he’s took his chance. He’s very well rounded as a footballer. I think if we are relegated he will stay as a first choice midfielder and if we stay up I’d hope Onana would stay and Gana drops out so Garner keeps his place too.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
I like him. Injuries held him back but now injuries to others has led to a run in the team and he’s took his chance. He’s very well rounded as a footballer. I think if we are relegated he will stay as a first choice midfielder and if we stay up I’d hope Onana would stay and Gana drops out so Garner keeps his place too.
I’m still gutted we missed out on him. He’s a decent lad as well.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Regardless of managerial ability Everton are consistently down in bottom 6 of the league now because of boardroom ineptitude. They've made some staggering decisions in last 18 months so Moshiri will have got away with this big time for second season running if they scrape safety on final day.

Dyche is ideal manager though to keep them 11-14th with minimum fuss next season at least before their ground move. Leicester and Leeds will be kicking themselves for not approaching him during the World cup as he'd have kept both up comfortably. Think Leeds sacked Marsch a week after he went in at Everton.
Dyche is a process manager. And it can take time for processes to take effect. But nothing against him.

Sea-Cow

Thats good to hear!

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
He can really be an excellent player if managed well.
What is the deal with Patterson? My mate likes Everton and was fuming with Lampard for leaving out Patterson for Coleman. Then he was red with rage with Coleman, Holgate and bizarrely Godfrey were before him under Dyche.

My mate said certain Everton fans were not happy with the signing and regularly criticise him on the Everton forum because he is a Protestant. Think it was a minority but seemed strange. What’s that about?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
What is the deal with Patterson? My mate likes Everton and was fuming with Lampard for leaving out Patterson for Coleman. Then he was red with rage with Coleman, Holgate and bizarrely Godfrey were before him under Dyche.

My mate said certain Everton fans were not happy with the signing and regularly criticise him on the Everton forum because he is a Protestant. Think it was a minority but seemed strange. What’s that about?
Patterson was injured last season and that’s why he didn’t get a fair crack under Lampard but then after a full preseason he was starting under Lampard and looked good before getting injured again. He will be fine but Dyche has shown with DCL that sometimes it’s better to not rush players back and be patient with them in terms of fitness and injury.

Not really read any of that stuff but every fan base has weirdos. The only issue with Patterson is fitness and injury worries.

Abraxas

If he finishes this escape he'll get them to solid midtable obscurity pretty quickly. Whether he can go beyond that will depend on finances and how good he actually is. The weird thing is, he had Burnley punching for years which is a commendable job, but it doesn't necessarily put a cap on Dyche's ability. There wasn't enough spend there to really raise your head above the parapet as a manager. I mean it's fairly clear he's probably not a revolutionary great of the game, but if given money what's to say he can't push Everton on even further?

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Patterson was injured last season and that’s why he didn’t get a fair crack under Lampard but then after a full preseason he was starting under Lampard and looked good before getting injured again. He will be fine but Dyche has shown with DCL that sometimes it’s better to not rush players back and be patient with them in terms of fitness and injury.

Not really read any of that stuff but every fan base has weirdos. The only issue with Patterson is fitness and injury worries.
I think your decent players are hitting fitness and form at the right time.

Mina instead of Keane is such a huge upgrade too.