Everton vs Manchester United

acrebo

I genuinely have no idea how we're going to line up!

All I hope is that the players are reminded of the last time we played Everton. Some serious frustration has been bottled up since May...

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Any chance of Fletch making the bench? was just watching a replay of the 4-3 game against City and remembered how good Fletcher can be, really hopeful he can be back soon.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Any chance of Fletch making the bench? was just watching a replay of the 4-3 game against City and remembered how good Fletcher can be, really hopeful he can be back soon.
I highly doubt it. He only managed something like 20min in the testimonial match. So is still a long way away still from making an competitive appearance. I'd expect to see him in the reserves first before he comes back to the first team as well.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Yeah I hate Monday Night Football, especially during the winter months. Don't know why.

Having said that, I'm already buzzing ahead of the game. Can't wait.

kps88

We still haven't got a proper update on Jones have we?

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Glad we're getting this game out of the way early. Not sure how our results have been there recently, but I'm always nervous going into this game. Both usually slow starters, so it'll be interesting.

Hernandez scored from a nice move last season to win 1-0; I'd quite happily take another one of them on Monday.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
-------------De Gea-----------

Rafael-----Rio-------Vidic------Evra

Valencia---Ando----Carrick-----Nani

---------------Kagawa-------------

---------------Rooney------------

KanieKaned

Thank you please. Maybe swap Valencia for Nani.
I'd be swapping out Kagawa for Valencia and throw Nani onto the left wing. Don't wanna throw our Shinji in at the deep end we've gotta have a good start. It's a pain having to play 3 days later.

Bring him on later for a cameo.

Seriously fecking mean possibilities with the squad we have now though, the depth is incredible. I'm creaming myself for the season to kick off.

"OH IT'S ON"

Coca Cola

One balled wonder
Have a feeling Van Persie will be thrown straight into the starting lineup.

--------------- De Gea
Rafael -- Ferdinand -- Vidic -- Evra
Valencia - Carrick - Cleverley - Kagawa
----------Rooney - Van Persie

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I would guess not, but there has to be a chance considering he was judged fit enough for a testimonial. Even if he's free of symptoms he'll need time to get match fitness, so I'd expect him to be at the back of the list for midfield spots right now.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Fergie said that te hardest bit was to regain the weight he had lost, and he's succeeded at doing that. I'd say give him a month of just training, with maybe a few games for the U21's.

If he comes through that without feeling weak, then ease him in. I just hope he still has some of that engine he had. We've missed him a lot at times.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Why do so many people think kagawa, who was one of our best players during pre season if not the best, will start on the bench? I'm not saying it won't happen for sure but he really should start. In midfield, on the wing or in behind the striker.

Havak

Pokemon master
Why do so many people think kagawa, who was one of our best players during pre season if not the best, will start on the bench? I'm not saying it won't happen for sure but he really should start. In midfield, on the wing or in behind the striker.
I agree, but I really only think he should be starting behind Rooney.

In central midfield, we have a fully fit and ready Carrick and Scholes. Cleverley and Giggs will be in the swing of things due to the Olympics, but that can also be seen as a reason to rest them. We also have Anderson to come in, but will be more lacking in fitness than the others. I don't think Kagawa is needed to drop as deep in midfield when we have these five at their current level.

As for wingers, we have Valencia, Nani, and Young at the ready. I know it's not out the question that Valencia will play right back and Kagawa could start on the wing over Young, but I'd still play Nani & Young on the flanks if Valencia was at right back.

As for our striking options, Rooney obviously starts. I get the feeling Welbeck isn't fully ready even though there's been no indication of it other than leaving the pre-season tour early. Hernández didn't have the best pre-season and he'll hardly ever start games anyway. Van Persie had a pretty poor Euros and no pre-season, so I'd expect him to come off the bench for his minutes.

All of that points to Kagawa behind Rooney for me, but make of it what you will and we'll see what the man goes for. I'm more confident in going to Everton this time, usually I think we'll feck it up. But they're usually slow starters, they've lost some key players, we're normally good on a Monday night, and either way it's good to get this one out of the way early.

Everton 0-2 Man Utd
. . . . . . . . Rooney, Kagawa

reddevilcanada

Is van Persie pretty much guaranteed to start? I thought he would come off the bench for this one. I hope I'm wrong.

Coca Cola

One balled wonder
Is van Persie pretty much guaranteed to start? I thought he would come off the bench for this one. I hope I'm wrong.

Pretty sure Fergie said he was gonna see how he looks in training the next few days and make a decision based on that.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Amongst all the transfer stuff yesterday did we actually get any team news? Is Rafa available on Monday?

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
Yes, he is. Jones is out for a month and Smalling for two months. And we could see in those pictures of van Persie's first training, Evans is there. Not ready, but training, that's good news.

Nothing more, I think.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I think we'll see:

De Gea
Valencia Vidic Ferdinand Evra
Carrick Scholes
Nani ---- Rooney ---- Young
Van Persie​

Vibhas

From the interview with SAF and RvP, I was given a strong impression by Fergie's comments that Rafael will start, despite the olympics taking it's toll.

Hope I'm right; Valencia @ RB against such a good team at home isn't as ideal as playing a RB @ RB. Rather play Nani on one wing, and Valencia/Kagawa/RvP/Rooney on the other, with Rafael behind them. Oh, and Rooney/RvP up top!

Be excellent if we could have 4 out of our best 5 attackers playing (Rooney, RvP, Nani, Kagawa and Valencia, in that order IMO).

I bet Sir Alex is listening to that 'little boy inside of him' that tells him to play Rooney in CM, Berba at CB, or see if he can get Park on loan for this one, though -.-.

Denis' cuff

Haven't paid much attention to their pre-season manouvres but I fancy us for a win, if only to vent after the 4-4 debacle.

Whenever we slip up against this lot, it always seems self-inflicted. A bit of discipline should get us home.

Vibhas

Rafael could do with casting out a few demons from his Everton performance last season.
Shockingly blaise defending. He's such a good defender when he's concentrating as well; most of the time when he commits, you can be certain he's won the ball. Sadly, he has his periodical brainfart and either forgets to run after the ball (Bilbao) or expects someone else to cover the player (Everton) and is beating by their run (Jelavic).

He's pretty much one of Europe's finest RB's too, if he manages to concentrate for 90 minutes; at his best few wingers pass him at all.
He's getting better and better offensively too; his linking up with Valencia, and the fact that Tony V often gets doubled up on, means that Valencia often plays Rafael past the defensive line; if his crossing improves to anywhere near Lahm's level then we'll have a genuine replacement for an offensively talented fullback who can be the fullback who pushes forward when we go on the attack (for Evra, who also can't cross well, but is one of the best ball-carriers in the world at fullback).

Denis' cuff

not sure this is the right thread but (mods, be my guest) :

United scored more headers (16) than any other team in the PL last season, which I find quite surprising

DDG ended the season with the best shots/save ratio 77.9%

Rooney has scored 14 goals in his last 14 PL outings and......

10 goals in his last 9 August PL games

....oh, and Everton are unbeaten in their last 9 PL games and won 7/8 at Goodison

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
not sure this is the right thread but (mods, be my guest) :

United scored more headers (16) than any other team in the PL last season, which I find quite surprising

DDG ended the season with the best shots/save ratio 77.9%

Rooney has scored 14 goals in his last 14 PL outings and......

10 goals in his last 9 August PL games

....oh, and Everton are unbeaten in their last 9 PL games and won 7/8 at Goodison
That is suprising indeed. I'd love to know how much of them were from corners/freekicks though - probably 2 or 3.

Jacob

Almost certain Rafael will start at RB, I'm expecting:

DDG, Rafael, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra; Carrick, Scholes, Cleverley; Valencia, Rooney, Young

Chep

Yeah I hate Monday Night Football, especially during the winter months. Don't know why.

Having said that, I'm already buzzing ahead of the game. Can't wait.
I don's hate monday. Some six seasons back we played our opening game on Monday and was it against nEverton? and went on to oust Mourhino's CSKA London.