Evra's interview with Neville

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by roonster09, May 14, 2019.

1. May 14, 2019

Cloud7 Full Member

Can’t blame Pogba to be honest. Our fans have been disgusting to him all season. Even while Mourinho was here and sending the team spiraling to oblivion, the fans couldn’t wait to boo him. On the balance of things he’s been our best player this season, even under Mourinho. Deserves better to be honest.

Sure they boo at Madrid, but they boo everyone for the most part. At United he gets booed while Ashley Young gets lauded for being a great servant.
  2. May 14, 2019

Fanatic 00237 Full Member

Equatorial Forest, Africa, Earth, Milky Way
    Supports:
    The Indomitable Lions
    This guy gets it! When I fell in love with United I fell in love with a culture, with an identity. The recent years of chasing mercenaries (managers and players alike) has been a sad experience for me. I'm not sure about the board but I know for sure that the answer to his last question here would be "no" for all the managers we have hired post-SAF and most of the big money players as well. I don't care so much about having the best players or managers in the world but rather having a strong core of people who would give their all for the club. And I don't mind as much about not winning trophies anymore as I do about losing our identity which we seem on the path of doing.
  3. May 14, 2019

dove Full Member

Yep, that's exactly what Ed thought when hiring Ole. We will be shite but who cares, we will have identity.
  4. May 14, 2019

NotoriousISSY $10mil and I fecked it up!

I think we need more legends to speak out about the club structure, Neville touched on it of course but that is one of the clearest issues which is often ignored in these debates.

Otherwise a very true assessment from Patrick.
  5. May 14, 2019

Bastian Full Member

Of course we need better players all over the pitch. And while Pogba is probably our most talented player, he's still tactically limiting. He cannot do a job in a midfield 2, that means he's either a #10 or we have to play 3 in midfield. When Jose bought him he thought he could turn into a box-to-box player. Seems like Evra thought so too, saying he could become the new Vieira. Well, he can't.

That narrative exists largely because Pogba said during the most volatile time under Jose that he preferred playing left side of a midfield 3. And people wondered why he was so good for France and saw that he was surrounded by world class players. Same at Juve.

Pogba, like every other player in our squad, would improve by having much better teammates around him. But he's also been guilty of loads of poor performances, lack of concentration, off-field drama and flirting with other clubs.
  6. May 14, 2019

Heista Full Member

Supports:
    Ajax
    I guess he is just saying that rating him for his goalscoring ability is a bit much, considering that of his 13 goals in the PL he scored 7 penalties.

6 Goals from free kicks and or normal play for your star midfielder who is not your defensive midfielder for a team such as United is not that much, is it?
  7. May 14, 2019

EvilChuck Full Member

Didnt we have a thread recently about United fans racially abusing Ashley young because he wasnt playing well? Havent we had countless matchday threads, post match threads, and player performance threads where Ashley Young has been singled out as being our worst player consistently? Dont we have a transfer forum full of people begging for Meunier or AWB to replace Young?
  8. May 14, 2019

AJ10 Full Member

So we paid 90 mil for a player who showed his class playing in mid 3 as the most attacking option (paid 90 mil based on his performances at that position) but we wanted to turn that player into a box to box (:lol:) only at United, Idiots. We should buy ronaldo and messi then turn them into FB's.

In what world has pogba ever shown to be anything like a Vieira? Colour of his skin? he's tall? he has strength? He's similar to ozil with better skills and better defensive quality. No wonder people are upset about his defensive game, well if you look at the sun and think its a moon then you'll be disappointing.
  9. May 14, 2019

Cloud7 Full Member

Sure, but that’s online. I’m talking about real life. No united player gets any venom shot at them in real life besides Pogba. He’s been booed numerous times this season, the rest of them haven’t.
  10. May 14, 2019

Fanatic 00237 Full Member

Equatorial Forest, Africa, Earth, Milky Way
    Supports:
    The Indomitable Lions
    We have been losing our identity for the past six years with not much success to write home about so maybe it's time to get back to basics. I think we can restore our identity with Ole, Phelan, Carrick and Fletcher running affairs.

First, they wil have to identify and get rid of players who are not fit for United; those here for the money and not for United. Then bring in the right players to replace those leaving, no more mercenaries and big name signings just for the sake of it. No more muppet and hot player of the moment galactico signings. I liked the bit in the interview about the questions he was asked by SAF and Gill when they met him in Monaco before he signed for us:
    When I met Sir Alex Ferguson and David Gill in Monaco at the time, when they interviewed me, they asked me questions like 'are you going to be ready to not lose any games?' and 'are you ready to play only at the top of the game and get criticised for a normal game?' You had figures at the club who tell you what you are going to represent.
    Hopefully Ed will allow Ole and Fletcher (if he is confirmed) to use a similar approach for future signings.

It might take a while of not winning much (or being "shite" as you put it) but that's the price to pay to correct the running six-year mistake and restore our identity. When we would have built a strong core of "United material" players in the squad, then we can bring in the quality players who will take us to the next level.

There is no quick fix solution to the situation in which we find ourselves now. It's going to be a slow process.
  11. May 14, 2019

royboy16 Full Member

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
    Yeap Id say so.
  12. May 14, 2019

Bastian Full Member

Those are Evra's words. I don't think anyone at United thought he'd become Vieira mk II. I do believe that Jose thought he could hack it in a midfield 2.
  13. May 14, 2019

SteveJ all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian Scout

I think this also means that Patrice's comment on Sanchez is biased.
  14. May 14, 2019

pascell Full Member

In what sense mate?
  15. May 14, 2019

Ajaxsuarez Full Member

Supports:
    Ajax
    if that's not his job, why is it used as his main defence?
  16. May 14, 2019

SteveJ all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian Scout

I was just thinking of the many rumours about Pogba's unhappiness regarding Sanchez's wages, chief.
  17. May 14, 2019

Hellboy Full Member

Wondering what they speak about with Woodward ?
  18. May 14, 2019

abdo99 Full Member

Because he's carrying two burdens instead of one.
  19. May 14, 2019

Sir Scott McToMinay Full Member

No they’re nothing like our fans.
    They booed the greatest player in their club’s history.
    They booed their teams that won European trophies and titles after 2 bad results.

If what happened to us over the last 6 years, was happening at Madrid, the fans would be waiting with torches outside their ground.
    Last edited: May 14, 2019
  20. May 14, 2019

Green_Red Full Member

If Pogba cares and is our best player why did Murphy run off him so easily to set up that goal. Of course we as fans aren't going to like seeing that when you consider the effort we are used to. We used to watch Rooney run the length of the pitch to win the ball back at our own corner flag. That's the kind of effort that endears you to our fans. If you dont understand that then you dont understand the club or the supporters and it's time to move on. If you're not that type of player then you're not a Manchester United player either.
  21. May 14, 2019

pascell Full Member

I think there could be something in that but who knows. I read an article the other day that said Pogba didn't want to come in the first place and Woodward basically said name your price and we'll pay it, we probably did the same with Sanchez too. I do think Pogba will leave though, just because we're nowhere near challenging for titles, something we'll have promised him if he signed.

We're in a complete mess at the moment and the fact that nothing positive has been leaked from Woodward is alarming, that's his usual go to trick coming off the back of a defeat or if he's being called out.
  22. May 14, 2019

RuudTom83 Full Member

Like some have mentioned, Pogba can use a few boos as an excuse to move clubs, but not if the club he moved to is Madrid! haha
  23. May 14, 2019

abdo99 Full Member

So new benchmark for Manchester United players is running? No wonder we're 6th and falling rapidly. Rooney was talented and played in team full of talents that's knows what they're doing. It's laughable comparison
  24. May 14, 2019

BlueHaze Full Member

He's lost his patience with this shit show like most of us. I'm just disappointed he said nothing humiliating about Glazers and Woodward.
  25. May 14, 2019

golden_blunder Site admin. Manchester United fan Staff

I’m sure he raises some valid points but I just can’t take anything evra says seriously. He’s a clown, especially after chickengate
  26. May 14, 2019

Florida Man Cartoon expert and crap superhero

Jesus fecking christ just running alone is not the benchmark. How the feck do you and so many others fail to comprehend basic english?
  27. May 14, 2019

Florida Man Cartoon expert and crap superhero

I agree with this. It’s not just talent that we need but both talent and effort. There’s a reason why our fans are more endeared by someone who puts in the effort as opposed to someone who just has talent alone. You used Rooney as an example but I think Ronaldo is better one. He is the epitome of a flashy pretty boy but even he would hunt someone halfway down the field to win the ball back or make a tackle. Ronaldo’s effort was hardly ever questioned and a big reason why a lot of us are still endeared to him.
  28. May 14, 2019

SER19 Full Member

Pogba must be the most sensitive man in the world if many posters and pundits are to be believed. Threw the mother of strops last year when mourinho didn’t pat him on the ass after the World Cup. An absolute flower.
  29. May 14, 2019

Sterling Archer Full Member

Hold the feck up. Aside from a couple of folks yelling after we lost to relegated Cardiff on the last day, are you telling me match going fans are hard on Pogba? Like they were on Fellaini?

Or is he going to get worked up about comments online?

Patrice is his uncle Pat. He should help Paul grow thicker skin instead of enabling the giant baby. He's a temperamental Pisces. I'm one myself (I love astrology so bite me if ya don't believe in it ;)) and its a common trait for us - woe is me, everybody is against me, moody like two fish swimming against each other.

Pogba had a very poor season by his own standards. He should be introspective and trying to improve instead of formulating excuses. It's just like when he left the first time. He couldn't buckle down, had to be right. Thought it was just youthful brazeness. But he thought he knew better than Sir Alex, better than Mourinho and after showing how much Jose was wrong, sulked back into poor form calling out Zidane. But did the matchgoers boo him? I don't recall that. In which case he needs to stop reading comments about himself online and focus. Or just admit he wants out and leave. Take control of your own fecking future instead of blaming every move and decision on others. Giant baby

Fine with rest of Evras comments.
  30. May 14, 2019

Green_Red Full Member

if defending involves running with your mark then yea.

And Rooney played in a team of players with the right attitude. Talent only gets you so far.

If you lose the ball you bust your gut to get it back. You dont just look around like "who was picking him up?" and wave your arms. Too often we've see that attitude from Pogba and it stinks. That's why Herrera was clapped and will be missed and why Pogba wont. Who cares if he scores 2 penos in a game and skews his scoring stats. He is a midfielder, the beating heart of a team. He runs but to be honest I dont think I've ever seen him sprint and hunt someone down for the ball. Nonchalant running and a lot of ineffective running, that's what I see.
  31. May 14, 2019

BringKlebersonBack New Member

Evra is only saying what so many of us have observed from outside the club. Even he is questioning exactly who chooses and signs players, and by implication, who is assessing these players as good enough to play for Manchester United. One hopes he has asked Ed Woodward these questions.

It’s going to be a long way back for us, made harder by the inevitable departures of Pogba, De Gea and possibly even Lukaku.
  32. May 14, 2019

wattsy7 New Member

Hopefully Pogba leaves & all of his fanboys who claim to be ‘united fans’ leave with him. Ridiculous defending a player who refuses to track runners, his role in Cardiff’s second goal had me fuming.
  33. May 14, 2019

poleglass red Full Member

See I don't get that part about him not dragging teams over the line. Why shouldn't he, he's a top class player when he wants to be, so why shouldn't be doing that in big games and leading by example. No-ones asking him to be keano v Juve 99 and barking out instructions, but we've seen players who aren't vocal in Giggs, Becks, Scholes and Ronaldo step up in big games and get us over the line. If he's not meant to drag us over the line in the position he plays in, then who does. It's easy to say the aforementioned all played in better teams and they did but we had rebuilding phases during their time, when they had to dig deep. Great players make those around them better, I'm not sure Pogba does that. Build a team around him, we've been trying that for 3 seasons.I honestly rate the guy, I just feel he doesn't suit the PL. He needs too much time on the ball. I think if he stays he'll be a player who does what he's being doing, very good in spurts but no consistency.
  34. May 14, 2019

shahzy New Member

And that is exactly what grates me. Boo the shite in our team like Young, Rashford, Matic, Mctominay, Smalling, Jones, Rojo, Lukaku, Martial, sanchez and expect better from them or tell them to feck off. But instead our fans boo the guy who is clearly our best player, had the most assists, scored the most goals from midfield might i add because teh dross around him can't score for shit. Boo him because he can't single handedly polish the turd and make it gold. Its unbelievable. I think the fans are also to blame for the position we find ourselves. The glazers, woodward, coaching staff, players, fans all share the blame.
  35. May 14, 2019

wattsy7 New Member

How are the fans to blame?

If as a player you’re too much of a flower to handle a bit of criticism from a fan you clearly don’t have the mental strength to be a Manchester United player.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2019
  36. May 14, 2019

simplyared Full Member

Evra knows the man Paul Pogba obviously and I reckon we (the club and fans) should recognize this and get of the player's back. As Pat says he's far away our best player this season. Nobody we have is anywhere near him. He'd walk into any team in the world. That fan who picked him out should feck off imo.
  37. May 14, 2019

Wazza4Gaffa New Member

I recommend every single person here to watch Evra's latest post on Instagram (IGTV) where he clarifies his stance and makes great points which I personally fully agree with. I'd love to post it but I'm not sure if I have the privileges to but here is a link anyways https://www.instagram.com/tv/BxcSluaodYO/
  38. May 14, 2019

haram Full Member

Cant just dig out the players and not dig out the board. He sits next to Ed though so...
  39. May 14, 2019

Schmeichel's Cartwheel Full Member

Aye. They've been booing Bale all season, despite him near single-handedly winning them the CL final last season.
  40. May 14, 2019

ArjenIsM3 Full Member

I agree with most of what he says except for bigging up Pogba's goals and criticising the other players for not scoring enough. Pogba's goals mostly come from penalties and he's missed a fair amount too. Had any of our attackers been on penalty duty instead things would have looked very different.