g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

F1 2019 season

pauldyson1uk

Mercedes played the strategy game today and it paid off , at the start the most he could have hoped for was 3rd.
Seb with his dead car and the VSC helped him out, turned out to be a pretty easy win for him in the end.
I sense all is not happy in the Ferrari garage.
Albon driver of the day for me , pit lane to 5th, excellent.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Leclerc's so fast that he can't even overtake Bottas.

I take it back, Lewis ain't the biggest whiner anymore, it's Leclerc.

Utter prick.

vangagal

Albon is so fast that prevented Max from taking free pit.:lol:
Leclerc came as a bit dickish this race but its good he has that fire on his belly, something that certain Bottas lacking in his time in Merc.

Hephaestus

Albon is so fast that prevented Max from taking free pit.:lol:
Leclerc came as a bit dickish this race but its good he has that fire on his belly, something that certain Bottas lacking in his time in Merc.
Probably helps Bottas though, the shenanigans here will remind Mercedes of the Rosberg/Hamilton fight. Bottas might be a problem next year in the constructors if Ferrari remain ahead in development.

Rooney1987

Probably in minority but I’ll never understand how Paul DiResta keeps getting these pundit jobs and interviewing drivers after races.

vangagal

Probably helps Bottas though, the shenanigans here will remind Mercedes of the Rosberg/Hamilton fight. Bottas might be a problem next year in the constructors if Ferrari remain ahead in development.
Well, good for him if he just happy to be there. As average Rosberg as some might think, he fought with his all for his championship. It was good to see and certainly better than anything Bottas has been showed.
Next year certainly his last year in Merc i think.

pauldyson1uk

Hephaestus

Well, good for him if he just happy to be there. As average Rosberg as some might think, he fought with his all for his championship. It was good to see and certainly better than anything Bottas has been showed.
Next year certainly his last year in Merc i think.
Yeah, reckon they'll make the switch before the big regulation change. Wouldn't be surprised to see Russell get the nod.

Wicked_Badger

Just watched the highlights. Merc lucked into a 1 2 a little but the big talking point is the Ferrari guys.

I know they want to maximise their team points but if the arrangement was to draft Vettel into 1st place at the start it was a fecking stupid idea. Given the pressure that Seb has been under and the history of the last few races (Vettel helping LeClerc win in Belgium, LeClerc screwing Seb’s qualifying in Italy & the team fecking LeClerc’s strategy in Singapore) this was never going to end well. Just let them race and sort it out on track. It’s not like Ferrari or either of the drivers are really going to lose anything/much in the standings.

Other than that, Albon did well. Pit lane to 5th is strong. What happened to Norris. One minute he & Sainz were running 5th & 6th, the next he was down in 9th? I can only guess he got fecked a bit by the safety car, but it wasn’t really explained.

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
Just watched the highlights. Merc lucked into a 1 2 a little but the big talking point is the Ferrari guys.

I know they want to maximise their team points but if the arrangement was to draft Vettel into 1st place at the start it was a fecking stupid idea. Given the pressure that Seb has been under and the history of the last few races (Vettel helping LeClerc win in Belgium, LeClerc screwing Seb’s qualifying in Italy & the team fecking LeClerc’s strategy in Singapore) this was never going to end well. Just let them race and sort it out on track. It’s not like Ferrari or either of the drivers are really going to lose anything/much in the standings.

Other than that, Albon did well. Pit lane to 5th is strong. What happened to Norris. One minute he & Sainz were running 5th & 6th, the next he was down in 9th? I can only guess he got fecked a bit by the safety car, but it wasn’t really explained.
They messed up big time. They've cost Leclerc and themselves a ton of points this year by trying to appease vettel.

Also, how the hell did Ferrari find so much raw power all of a sudden?

Leg-End

They have found some sort of solution but it's speculation, combined with a low drag concept it's a rocket on the straight and in acceleration.

The rumours are something around how it's harvesting and applying the battery power.

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
They have found some sort of solution but it's speculation, combined with a low drag concept it's a rocket on the straight and in acceleration.

The rumours are something around how it's harvesting and applying the battery power.
To the tune of 0.5 seconds or more. Extremely impressive.

Leg-End

To the tune of 0.5 seconds or more. Extremely impressive.
Agreed, at a time when engine returns are diminishing to find half a second per long straight is incredible. If they don’t screw it up and the others don’t apply this trick then Ferrari will be hard to beat in 2020.

Wicked_Badger

Have they found it or is it more of a case of the Merc being a little more ‘draggy’?

No doubt the PU is strong, probably just about the strongest on the grid, but their big change in fortune over the past few races seems to be their ability to get the tyres into the correct operating window over a qualifying lap. I still think the overall Merc race pace is generally quicker though.

Next season should hopefully be a blast though. Love to see Merc pushed for a full calendar properly since the hybrid era began. I think the boys in red need a little more reliability & strategic nouse still to bridge that gap. Hopefully Binotto gets the time to see this improvement through & isn’t fired at the first failure.

F-Red

Ferrari's up turn in pace has been some upgrade packages implemented at Singapore focusing on the aero, not engine. New floor, diffuser, rear wing, and a new nose concept. The engine power has been there all year, and has been compensating for a poor aero package.

pauldyson1uk

If the typhoon does affect the weekend and I think it will, F1 will almost certainly try to run Saturday's programme, which has final practice at 12:00 local time (02:00 BST) and qualifying at 15:00 (05:00 BST) with the race meant to be at 06:10 BST, but sure that will change, not going to start the race 10 mins after Q3?

Leg-End

Be interesting to see if the teams go for it in FP1 or FP2 just in case they end up qualifying from those results.

Hephaestus

Qualifying, which had been due to take place at 15:00 local time (08:00 BST) on Saturday, has been postponed until 10:00 (02:00 BST) on Sunday.

The race will be held as scheduled at 14:10 (06:10 BST).
Not surprising.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
This is cool - one of my favourite races I've seen, Suzuka 2005, up on the official f1 youtube!

Kimi :drool: MP4-20 :drool: :drool:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I didn’t realise Hamilton was so close to securing the title already. Feel way out of the loop this year.

pauldyson1uk

I didn’t realise Hamilton was so close to securing the title already. Feel way out of the loop this year.
he could well be crowned champion in Mexico for the third year in a row.

If Hamilton wins in Suzuka, it will confirm that only a Mercedes driver can win the drivers' title in 2019 - likely securing a record-breaking sixth-straight double.